Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Breakout Players: Who will they be?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReggieCamp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Breakout Players: Who will they be? Reply with quote

The Browns are not only young, but there are some new faces around Berea right now.

Give us your 3 breakout players that fit in to the categories below.

1. Surprise starter
Criteria: A guy who barely made the team last year, or is a low round pick/UDFA from this year. Not only does he make the team, but he starts.

2. Redemption player
Criteria: A player who was widely maligned last year (either as a starter or backup). He not only comes on this year as a starter, but goes on to play very well.

3. Emerging star
Criteria: Someone who is already a starter, but who will take the next step this year. He will be widely regarded as top 10 (or higher) leaguewide at his position when this season is finished.

Go. And make sure to tell us why.

It will happen some day. Not sure when.
pmk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea for a thread, I'll take a shot

1. Definitely the toughest of the 3, I'm going to go with Jamoris Slaughter at FS. I think if he can get healthy he can beat out Gipson who showed some flashes last year but didn't look like a long term solution at FS. Slaughter has the talent but needs to get over his Achilles injury asap if he's going to win a starting spot.

2. This has to be Buster Skrine. He (quite rightly) got a lot of flak last year when forced into the starting lineup. Luckily his issues are fixable, he's a smaller guy so he got lots of calls for illegal contact and pass interference (the Dallas game smh...) whenever he tried to get physical with larger WRs. If Haden can teach him the art of being handsy with pass catchers on the outside but also sneaky about it I'm confident he can develop into a solid #2 CB who can press guys at the line when its needed. If he doesn't well, the browns are pretty screwed...

3. Lots of good candidates for this one but I'm going with Big Phil Taylor. Had he been healthy all of last year I think he would have already made the leap as he looked great when he returned from his pectoral injury. While playing 3-4 NT it'll be harder for him make the splash plays necessary to get recognition, I think he has the athleticism to make it happen. JJ Watt last year also proved that you can still put up ridiculous stats at a position that usually doesn't put up big numbers (although a bit of a misnomer because Wade Phillips likes to let his DEs get to the QB way more than traditional 3-4 coaches)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Breakout Players: Who will they be? Reply with quote

ReggieCamp wrote:
The Browns are not only young, but there are some new faces around Berea right now.

Give us your 3 breakout players that fit in to the categories below.

1. Surprise starter
Criteria: A guy who barely made the team last year, or is a low round pick/UDFA from this year. Not only does he make the team, but he starts.

2. Redemption player
Criteria: A player who was widely maligned last year (either as a starter or backup). He not only comes on this year as a starter, but goes on to play very well.

3. Emerging star
Criteria: Someone who is already a starter, but who will take the next step this year. He will be widely regarded as top 10 (or higher) leaguewide at his position when this season is finished.

Go. And make sure to tell us why.

A. Tashaun Gipson free safety I think the front office likes him and that is why they waited until 6th round to draft a safety.

B. Greg Little I think his numerous drops are a thing of the pass.

C. I see Flash Gordan, Mitchell Schwartz.Phil Taylor and Trent if healthy all becoming very good maybe even elite.

Keep your eye on John Greco at guard also.

Adopted Brown Tashaun Gipson safety
vs. g.bay 7 tackles,2 asst. tackles and 1 pass defended
freakygeniuskid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Breakout Players: Who will they be? Reply with quote

1. Surprise starter
Johnson Bademosi. I think he takes over the starting FS role by the end of the year.

2. Redemption player
Buster Skrine. I think he comes back from a terrible year, grabs the slot CB role, and does very well with it.

3. Emerging star
I'm going to say Josh Gordon. I don't think he'll be top ten at the end of the season, but I think he'll be in the conversation in the 10-20 range. Guy is athletically the equal of Andre Johnson and I think with a better system to fit him and Weeden he takes this year by storm. 1100 yards and 8 TDs.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Surprise - Garrett Gilkey, It won't be right away though. Maybe week 10.

2. Redemption - Greg Little, I can see 7+ TDs and 700+ yards outta him.

3. Emerging star - Jabaal Sheard, will have 10+ sacks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Breakout Players: Who will they be? Reply with quote

Based on the given criteria...

1. Surprise starter - Greco

2. Redemption player - Lauvao

3. Emerging star - no one...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea! Here goes:

Skrine, although I think he will end the year in the slot, which is where he will shine.

Weeden, without a doubt. He didn't exactly shine year one. The season depends on him showing a lot more and without a much stronger showing from him we are drafting a QB with our 1st round pick -- and maybe more -- next year.

Hard to pick between Gordon and Sheard. I'll give the edge to Gordon because of how well he did being so young and raw last year.
Reginaldm9

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Craig Robertson, ILB--Starts all 16 games because JMJ can't keep up. Robertson plays angry and it shows.

2. Brandon Weeden, QB--After an up and down rookie season, both Weeden's TD's and INT's increase, but his comfort level with the new offense is clearly shown. Weeden is known as a competent and promising gunslinger following the season, upcoming much in the same mold as Tony Romo.

3. John Greco, OG--I honestly can't see anyone improving all that much. It's much easier to be under the radar as a top 10 OG, than many other positions. Greco plays very well this season and gets resigned to a nice contract.

Adopt-a-Brown: Joe Haden
Stats: 1 big fat pay day
buno67

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Breakout Players: Who will they be? Reply with quote

1. Surprise starter
Cameron Jordan

2. Redemption player
Owen Marecic

3. Emerging star
Josh Gordan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Breakout Players: Who will they be? Reply with quote

1. Surprise starter
I'll go with a late round pick from last year, and although I wouldn't say he barely made the team last year he isn't expected to be a starter this year. Billy Winn. I think his production will be so high this year that he will steal snaps from Bryant and Rubin, and maybe even Taylor if the swap Rubin to nose occasionally. But by seasons end, Billy is a starter and our best pass rushing end.

2. Redemption player
Weeden. He'll add over 1000 yards and 15 TD's to last years numbers.

3. Emerging star
I'll go with Kruger. I say he resumes where he finished last year and amasses 12-15 sacks. I'm not real comfortable with this pick, but I could definitely see it happening.
pnies20

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Gilkey
2. A LB. Either JMJ or Robertson
3. Phil Taylor or Jordan Cameron

<3 JF
CleBrowns07

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Breakout Players: Who will they be? Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
1. Surprise starter
Cameron Jordan

That would be very surprising.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Surprise starter
kellen davis. lowers the drops and beats out jordan cameron. i have absolutely no reasons why he'll be good i just have a good feeling about him.

2. Redemption player
weeden. because he has to be or he's gone. i expect 25 td and 15 ints.

3. Emerging star
TJ ward. hortons D will make him shine and turn him into a pro bowler
fatpig

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Surprise starter - i'll go with Slaughter. i know the coaches like Gipson but i could see Slaughter starting later in the year if Gipson gets injured/isn't good.

2. Redemption player - gotta be Weeden. after his mediocre rookie year he flourishes in Chud/Norv's gunslinger-friendly offense.

3. Emerging star - T-Rich. after his mediocre rookie year and the talk of him being injury-prone, TRich comes out plowing over defenders (not helmet first anymore though Sad ) and finishes top 10 in yards, TDs, and YPA
ReggieCamp

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdrawkcab321 wrote:
1. Surprise starter
kellen davis. lowers the drops and beats out jordan cameron. i have absolutely no reasons why he'll be good i just have a good feeling about him.

2. Redemption player
weeden. because he has to be or he's gone. i expect 25 td and 15 ints.

3. Emerging star
TJ ward. hortons D will make him shine and turn him into a pro bowler

I definitely like your choices for 2 and 3. I'll do mine later when I have time to type more, but there's a good chance I choose Weeden and Ward like you did.

Now, Kellen Davis... that's bold. He may be more likely to be cut then start. He's probably the only FA signing that I truly hated, but I'm ready to be wrong.

It will happen some day. Not sure when.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: