Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Run for your Life - Steeler Running game
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think waste is a harsh term. Underachiever? Yes, certainly. I also still don't buy the overweight thing this year, and from what you said in his thread, neither do you.

I also don't see what you do with that roster spot to make a real upgrade. You need to carry 4 RB's, and I don't see anyone to pick up at the position or anyone there right now who is going to be a better player at that spot.

If there's someone I'm missing on the FA RB market or a guy on the roster, I'd see the point.
3rivers

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Run for your Life - Steeler Running game Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/49447398/

Decent article on the Steeler running game.

Quote:
The Steelers ran up the middle far, far more than any other team in the NFL. A whopping 75 percent of their runs went between the guards. The NFL average is 52 percent. Only seven percent of Steelers runs went to the outside. The NFL average is 21 percent.

If insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, then the Steelers' running game was truly insane. The Steelers' running game was predicated on doing the thing they were worst at as frequently as possible.

for the record as they say

http://s128.photobucket.com/user/Vandilay_Industries/media/Ariansmotivational.jpg.html
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
I think waste is a harsh term. Underachiever? Yes, certainly. I also still don't buy the overweight thing this year, and from what you said in his thread, neither do you.

I also don't see what you do with that roster spot to make a real upgrade. You need to carry 4 RB's, and I don't see anyone to pick up at the position or anyone there right now who is going to be a better player at that spot.

If there's someone I'm missing on the FA RB market or a guy on the roster, I'd see the point.

I say "waste" only because he doesnt seem to take it seriously.

The talent is there....the motivation to get better is not.

Can he still help? I guess, but I have no respect for someone who doesnt even try to get better.

Id rather give the spot to someone who really wants to be here, as opposed to someone who just seems to be here to collect a paycheck.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:

you're not missing anything there aren't better options out there and I agree, he's not overweight, he's always been this size since college at Georgia Tech, I'm a big ACC fan and watched him a lot.

I wouldn't even say he's an underachiever, he was a 6th round pick, most 6th round picks never make an NFL roster, he's worked him way up to be a spot starter.

A few guys like Antonio Brown and Alfred Morris turn out to be stars and everyone expects all 6th round picks to turn out, well it's completely unrealistic.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
CKSteeler wrote:

Can he still help? I guess, but I have no respect for someone who doesnt even try to get better.

Id rather give the spot to someone who really wants to be here, as opposed to someone who just seems to be here to collect a paycheck.
How can you honesty know his motivation isn't there?

Johnathan Dweyer has always looked a little out of shape since college. Just like Jerome Bettis.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
CKSteeler wrote:

Johnathan Dweyer has always looked a little out of shape since college. Just like Jerome Bettis.

Dont insult Bettis by comparing him to Dwyer.

There is a difference between looking out of shape and being out of shape.

And Bettis was naturally a heavier guy. However, despite the pounding he took and how often he ran in his prime, he always kept running hard all seaosn. Dwyers weight fluctuates and he wears down over the course of a game/season.

He had reported conditioning issues in college as well.

A guy that truly wants to get better shows work ethic and dedication. Ive never heard anything good in terms of work ethic about Dwyer. NEVER. And its one of the reasons he fell in the draft, despite being a pretty talented and productive college back.

The real question is, how can YOU honestly say he DOESNT have motivation issues?

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
CKSteeler wrote:

Dont insult Bettis by comparing him to Dwyer.
damn, really? Confused Lmfao. I knew someone- likely you- would take it that way and I should have explained what I meant better.

I meant both were never in tip top shape, neither were 5'10, 230 and all muscle, no fat. They weren't even there at in college.

In no way did I ever compare the way they played. I'm just comparing their body types.

Quote:
There is a difference between looking out of shape and being out of shape.

And Bettis was naturally a heavier guy. However, despite the pounding he took and how often he ran in his prime, he always kept running hard all seaosn. Dwyers weight fluctuates and he wears down over the course of a game/season.

He had reported conditioning issues in college as well.

A guy that truly wants to get better shows work ethic and dedication. Ive never heard anything good in terms of work ethic about Dwyer. NEVER. And its one of the reasons he fell in the draft, despite being a pretty talented and productive college back.

The real question is, how can YOU honestly say he DOESNT have motivation issues?
well I guess neither of us can prove out points, so we'll just have to disagree on this like we disagree on Worilds.

It was pretty clear the guy could play last year at his current weight and he's able to move well weighing 230-240 lbs, people just are trying to make him into something he's not.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/06/steelers-jonathan-dwyer-weight-2013-ota/

Quote:
The other report from organized team activities is that Dwyer was taking the snaps with the first-team offense. While we cannot read too deeply into that, it does raise some questions regarding the veracity of the reports regarding Dwyer’s seemingly non-existent future with the team.

Dwyer is listed generously on the roster at 5’11, 229 pounds, and his stocky frame lent itself well to gaining some bruising yards last year. In back to back games last season against the Cincinnati Bengals and the Washington Redskins, Dwyer totaled 229 yards on 34 carries, averaging over six yards per carry. While his production did dip after those games, maybe more in part from injuries to the offensive line, he did provide a physical presence at the running back position; unfortunately, he could not sustain his success, and he did not eclipse the 100-yard mark again.
So, vs the Bengals and Redskins two of the best run defenses in the NFL last year, Dwyer did well - when the offensive line was healthy!. When the line sustained major injuries, and he had a few nagging injuries, his production dropped. Dwyer has good quick feet but a bruising style. I think he can be a good, but not great back. He's a good back up to have, just like Redman. They drafted Le'veon Bell in round 2 for a reason though. They need a true #1 running back and I think he will prove this year that he's going to the back of the present and the future.

SteelKing728

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Predictability kills offenses. When the defense knows what you are doing, you have no hope of being successful.

We should look to change it up a bit this year. Don't run any single RB up the middle and into the ground. It will kill this offense.

I hope Bell has a great year for us!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue with Dwyer is him tapping himself out of games. I've seen him explain it away as people focusing on him, or him doing it more obviously than others. I think that's bull. A guy can weigh and even look the same, though, and have better conditioning. Or one guy can just be tougher. Bettis had a weight issue, but he had more talent and played on different teams on top of some other obvious things.

I don't buy the story on him being out of shape right now, though. They have him atop the depth chart, and if you look at him he appears lighter. Does he have a bit of belly still? Yes, but its not as bad in the past and Turtle has a point that it is simply his body type. The question is whether he is in shape to carry the ball and stay in the game when the team needs him. He couldn't do that last year. If the coaches are keeping him in and counting him as the starter, that tells me he has improved from past efforts. He probably knows the offense better, too.

Did anyone expect Dwyer to suddenly come in and look ripped?

And throwing all of that aside, cutting him would seem to just be more about proving a point than improving the roster.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dwyer is fat and out of shape go to Steelers.com and pull up the spring drills video. He looks like he's been drinking cases of malt liquor everyday since the end of last season. Dwyer may have the talent, but he has no desire to better his position in the backfield. The reason why Redman has now been penciled in as the starter over him.

Dwyer said the reason ppl noticed him tapping out so much was because he tapped the top of his helmet. While other would just exit the field stating that they took the less obvious approach. SMH!!

Dwyer couldn't last a 12 play drive at any point in the season. Not saying that there are many backs that could. But it's for sure that if the drive lasted longer then 6-9 plays Dwyer was exiting the game.

We've all watched Bettis and i don't ever remember him exiting games. Did he get spelled during the game? Yes. But best believe Bettis got at least 60-70% of the carries during his prime. Also factor in that teams ran the ball a heck of a lot more then they do now.

Dwyer is trash and the Steelers have more then enough to replace him. NEXT!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
Dwyer is fat and out of shape go to Steelers.com and pull up the spring drills video. He looks like he's been drinking cases of malt liquor everyday since the end of last season. Dwyer may have the talent, but he has no desire to better his position in the backfield. The reason why Redman has now been penciled in as the starter over him.

Dwyer said the reason ppl noticed him tapping out so much was because he tapped the top of his helmet. While other would just exit the field stating that they took the less obvious approach. SMH!!

Dwyer couldn't last a 12 play drive at any point in the season. Not saying that there are many backs that could. But it's for sure that if the drive lasted longer then 6-9 plays Dwyer was exiting the game.

We've all watched Bettis and i don't ever remember him exiting games. Did he get spelled during the game? Yes. But best believe Bettis got at least 60-70% of the carries during his prime. Also factor in that teams ran the ball a heck of a lot more then they do now.

I got that feeling from Dwyer too. He has the potential, he just hasn't put it together. We can't wait any longer.

He should be a prime candidate to be cut this year.

And so, the backfield goes:

Isaac Redman
LeVeon Bell
Larod Stephens-Howling
Baron Batch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

I got that feeling from Dwyer too. He has the potential, he just hasn't put it together. We can't wait any longer.

Isaac Redman
LeVeon Bell
Larod Stephens-Howling
Baron Batch

I'd be fine with that. That backfield isn't missing anything with the depature of Dwyer except carries.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
The issue with Dwyer is him tapping himself out of games. I've seen him explain it away as people focusing on him, or him doing it more obviously than others. I think that's bull. A guy can weigh and even look the same, though, and have better conditioning. Or one guy can just be tougher. Bettis had a weight issue, but he had more talent and played on different teams on top of some other obvious things.

I don't buy the story on him being out of shape right now, though. They have him atop the depth chart, and if you look at him he appears lighter. Does he have a bit of belly still? Yes, but its not as bad in the past and Turtle has a point that it is simply his body type. The question is whether he is in shape to carry the ball and stay in the game when the team needs him. He couldn't do that last year. If the coaches are keeping him in and counting him as the starter, that tells me he has improved from past efforts. He probably knows the offense better, too.

And throwing all of that aside, cutting him would seem to just be more about proving a point than improving the roster.
i gotta agree, excellent points Applause Applause

turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

Isaac Redman
LeVeon Bell
Larod Stephens-Howling
Baron Batch
Give me 1 reason Batch should make the roster over Dwyer, besides "you thinking" but not really knowing that Dwyer is out of shape.

Batch has had as many chances as Dwyer has had to become a major contributor to the team and start and he's failed to even be active most games.

SteelProven

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:

I expected Dwyer to use the last 120 days to diet, eat right and work out. Not come in like he's rushed for multiple 1200+ seasons.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: