Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Run for your Life - Steeler Running game
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
CKSteeler


Joined: 17 Mar 2013
Posts: 3658
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other OL news, the Bills signed Legursky, giving them 4 ex-Steelers on their depth chart there. If Chris Scott wins the competition at LG, two will be starters. If they run the ball more successfully next year than the Steelers, I'm going to be pretty pissed off.

Steelers fans seem accustomed to changes needing to take years. The zone blocking scheme is simpler than man, so where is this stuff on it taking "years" coming from? The whole reason zone schemes have become so popular is it takes less time to implement, which in the age of FA has become a necessity.

The Ravens made a similar switch a few years back, and proceeded to blow the Steelers out on opening day.

On that note, a lot of teams make a smooth transition from one offensive coordinator to another in a single season these days. These things come off as poor excuses for lackluster offensive production.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 62763
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
With the switch to the ZBS it will be easier to get to the outside. You don't need elite speed to do so in that scheme. Don't know how well Bell fits the ZBS scheme but I can only assume they're confident he can given they drafted him knowing they were making the switch. As for the article, even though I knew the Steelers called a lot of plays BTT, it's frustrating to see the actual numbers (75% BTT and 7% OTT) on paper. It's somewhat comforting to know the issue has been recognized and in the process of getting fixed.
exactly. I also agree with the other guys about Bell, he should be an improvement. Then, a healthy Redman will help as well.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Days until: Today; @ Texans 7. Adopt-a-Redskin: Brian Orakpo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 62763
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
In other OL news, the Bills signed Legursky, giving them 4 ex-Steelers on their depth chart there. If Chris Scott wins the competition at LG, two will be starters. If they run the ball more successfully next year than the Steelers, I'm going to be pretty pissed off.

Steelers fans seem accustomed to changes needing to take years. The zone blocking scheme is simpler than man, so where is this stuff on it taking "years" coming from? The whole reason zone schemes have become so popular is it takes less time to implement, which in the age of FA has become a necessity.

The Ravens made a similar switch a few years back, and proceeded to blow the Steelers out on opening day.

On that note, a lot of teams make a smooth transition from one offensive coordinator to another in a single season these days. These things come off as poor excuses for lackluster offensive production.
health is always the key. They need to stay relatively healthy. The projected starting OL I don't think played one game together last year. If they did, it was only a few. The steelers have a lot of young talent on their OL, health is just the key. If they are healthy, then they can grow as a young unit and turn out to be one of the best in the league in a few years. IMO
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Days until: Today; @ Texans 7. Adopt-a-Redskin: Brian Orakpo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kethnaab


Joined: 05 Jan 2009
Posts: 9846
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
The zone blocking scheme is simpler than man,



whoa whoa whoa...not sure where you're coming up with that. As a guy who played the line growing up, you did NOT learn an inkling about zone blocking as a kid, all you did was man.


CKSteeler wrote:
The whole reason zone schemes have become so popular is it takes less time to implement, which in the age of FA has become a necessity.


uh...no. The reason it became popular is (now) two-fold

1) You can implement it (or many principles of it) with smaller, less phyiscally dominant offensive linemen, allowing for effective drafting of offensive linemen later in the draft

2) Cut/chop block rules have been changed to make it fairly advantageous for blockers to use the cut blocks, which are a huge portion of the ZBS

CKSteeler wrote:
On that note, a lot of teams make a smooth transition from one offensive coordinator to another in a single season these days. These things come off as poor excuses for lackluster offensive production.


agreed, on both sides of the ball.

After 2010, the Houston Texans switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 in 2011 and went from 29th in scoring defense in 2010 to 4th in scoring defense in 2011

2010 defense // 2011 defense
points allowed: 427 points (29th) // 278 (4th)
yards allowed: 6031 (30th) // 4571 (2nd)
passing yards allowed: 4280 (32nd) // 3035 (3rd)
passing TDs allowed: 33 (31st) // 18 (6th)
passer rating allowed: 100.5 (32nd) // 69.0 (2nd)


After 2008, the Packers switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 in 2009 and went from 22nd to 7th to 2nd in scoring defense from 2008 to 2009 then to 2010

2008 defense // 2009 defense:
points allowed: 380 points (22nd) // 297 (7th)
yards allowed: 5349 (20th) // 4551 (2nd)
rushing yards allowed: 2105 (26th) // 1333 (1st)
rushing TDs allowed: 20 TDs (28th) // 5 TDs (1st)

so the whole notion of it taking so long to learn a new scheme is bunk. You want to argue that perhaps Philips' system is simplistic? Ok, perhaps it is, but you'll have a hard time convincing me that LeBeau's zone blitz 3-4 is THAT much more simplistic than Capers'.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 62763
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again. Health and consistency is the key. If DeCastro, Antonio Brown, Gilbert, Colon, Big Ben and Redman don't get hurt, the offense would have been better.

If you have guys you are counting on, on the sidelines and not on the field, the offense will be inconsistent no matter how long the OC has been there or the players have played together.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Days until: Today; @ Texans 7. Adopt-a-Redskin: Brian Orakpo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CKSteeler


Joined: 17 Mar 2013
Posts: 3658
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

whoa whoa whoa...not sure where you're coming up with that. As a guy who played the line growing up, you did NOT learn an inkling about zone blocking as a kid, all you did was man.


The concepts I saw taught as a kid weren't drastically different than the basics of zone because the goal was to keep things simple. The popularity has also gone up big time, and I would imagine there are coaches using it at all levels these days.

Where I'm coming from here is pretty simple, actually. Not only have I heard coaches such as Parcells explain it this way, but also because it's logical. Zone blocking assignments are the same regardless of defensive front because you aren't assigning anyone to block a single man and while there are variations, it boils down to two basic plays.

The old OL's of the 80's had more continuity than just about any unit in today's league has. You also deal with more diverse defensive fronts and disguises.

Quote:


uh...no. The reason it became popular is (now) two-fold


I wouldn't disagree there are other reasons contributing to its use.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jebrick


Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 8075
Location: Indianapolis
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZBS concepts are easy. Playing as a single unit is harder. EVERYONE must take the kick step at the same time. You must know what the guys on either side of you are going to do. You must keep your spacing and keep your feet moving.

Sure the Steelers can try to do it but if club foot Foster is slow on his step or DD moves quicker than Gilbert then it will mess up. THat is why teams take years of the SAME PLAYERS playing together to make it work well.
_________________

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 62763
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Post-Gazette believes Isaac Redman is ahead of Jonathan Dwyer right now.

Dwyer was reportedly placed on the trade block right after the Steelers took Michigan State workhorse Le'Veon Bell in the second round. Redman, a long-time favorite of coach Mike Tomlin, appears likely to stick as the early-down backup. Known at one time by the nickname "Red Zone," Redman has scored just five rushing touchdowns over his three NFL seasons. May 1 - 10:33 AM
Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Days until: Today; @ Texans 7. Adopt-a-Redskin: Brian Orakpo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ImissEricGreen


Joined: 13 Mar 2009
Posts: 1030
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Thats the one thing about Haley that really annoyed me....because it was exactly what Arians did.
That's far from the truth, Arians ran far too many failed off-tackle, & double delay counter traps and power sweeps rarely gain more than 3yds.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 49580
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ImissEricGreen wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Thats the one thing about Haley that really annoyed me....because it was exactly what Arians did.
That's far from the truth, Arians ran far too many failed off-tackle, & double delay counter traps and power sweeps rarely gain more than 3yds.


Far from the truth? As usual, you are wrong.

Arians ran alot of plays over and over again when they werent working. In fact, that was his MO. I never said it was JUST runs up the gut.
_________________
SCPackersFan wrote:
I hold nothing against blue-collar people and I respect/admire them for doing what they do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kethnaab


Joined: 05 Jan 2009
Posts: 9846
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
The Post-Gazette believes Isaac Redman is ahead of Jonathan Dwyer right now.


before we put on the pads.

hopefully, he stays ahead of Doughboy Dwyer, and Bell pulls ahead of them both
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bucksoh1


Joined: 19 Mar 2007
Posts: 555
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willis McGahee was just cut we need to sign him for the vet min. and cut both Redman and Dwyer. Even at 31 he is still better than Redman and Dwyer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kethnaab


Joined: 05 Jan 2009
Posts: 9846
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucksoh1 wrote:
Willis McGahee was just cut we need to sign him for the vet min. and cut both Redman and Dwyer. Even at 31 he is still better than Redman and Dwyer.


dunno about cutting Redman, but definitely Dwyer
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CKSteeler


Joined: 17 Mar 2013
Posts: 3658
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wouldn't take McGahee at this point of his career over Dwyer or Redman. Maybe he's more of a professional than Dwyer, but physically he's not more talented. He . I would have taken Bradshaw on the team, but I don't know why people would seriously want McGahee at this point.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 49580
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
I really wouldn't take McGahee at this point of his career over Dwyer or Redman. Maybe he's more of a professional than Dwyer, but physically he's not more talented. He . I would have taken Bradshaw on the team, but I don't know why people would seriously want McGahee at this point.


Physical talent means little if you have no drive to get better.

Im not saying we should sign McGahee, but I really hope Dwyer doesnt make the team. Waste of a roster spot.
_________________
SCPackersFan wrote:
I hold nothing against blue-collar people and I respect/admire them for doing what they do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group