Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Run for your Life - Steeler Running game
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jebrick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Run for your Life - Steeler Running game Reply with quote

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/49447398/

Decent article on the Steeler running game.

Quote:
The Steelers ran up the middle far, far more than any other team in the NFL. A whopping 75 percent of their runs went between the guards. The NFL average is 52 percent. Only seven percent of Steelers runs went to the outside. The NFL average is 21 percent.

If insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, then the Steelers' running game was truly insane. The Steelers' running game was predicated on doing the thing they were worst at as frequently as possible.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the one thing about Haley that really annoyed me....because it was exactly what Arians did.
mosteelers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Thats the one thing about Haley that really annoyed me....because it was exactly what Arians did.

I agree but it was probably done by necessity as we had no backs that could go outside well. Hopefully Bell can add a little more consistency outside. I think at KC Haley ran outside with Charles.

Sig courtesy of miafins23 Thanks
wwhickok

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's exactly what caused this issue. We didn't have a back that could get around the edge of the defense well enough, outside of Mendenhall who wasn't doing squat. The other guys were pure gut runners, Dwyer with a little more speed than the rest but still a gut runner.

Bell is going to change that.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mosteelers wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

I agree but it was probably done by necessity as we had no backs that could go outside well. Hopefully Bell can add a little more consistency outside. I think at KC Haley ran outside with Charles.

I do not disagree with that at all.

Thats why I wanted Jonathan Franklin.

Bell is too much like what we already have. He isnt an outside runner either.

However, I could see LaRod Stephens Howling getting 75 carries this season if they want to add a different dynamic. The Cardinals didnt use him well and I think he could end up being a Mewelde Moore esque signing in terms of impact.
jebrick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THis will not be a quick fix. It takes a long time playing together to get the outside zone blocking techniques working. Foster will be the weak link. He does not have the feet to do this. I predict he will be benched for Beachum who does have the feet to play ZBT.

I expect bad things again this year but they need to stick with it.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
Chieferific

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the switch to the ZBS it will be easier to get to the outside. You don't need elite speed to do so in that scheme. Don't know how well Bell fits the ZBS scheme but I can only assume they're confident he can given they drafted him knowing they were making the switch. As for the article, even though I knew the Steelers called a lot of plays BTT, it's frustrating to see the actual numbers (75% BTT and 7% OTT) on paper. It's somewhat comforting to know the issue has been recognized and in the process of getting fixed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
THis will not be a quick fix. It takes a long time playing together to get the outside zone blocking techniques working. Foster will be the weak link. He does not have the feet to do this. I predict he will be benched for Beachum who does have the feet to play ZBT.

I expect bad things again this year but they need to stick with it.

I agree that Foster is the weak link.

I dont really agree Beachum has the feet.

However, we dont really have the RBs to run outside anyway, so I dont really care this year. I expect an improvment in our running game if everyone stays healthy...which is a big IF....but I dont expect SIGNIFICANT improvement.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
mosteelers wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

I do not disagree with that at all.

Thats why we wanted Jonathan Franklin.

slight adjustment there my man. Smile

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Bell is too much like what we already have. He isnt an outside runner either.

that's where we disagree. I think Bell is a lot better than you give him credit for. Hopefully he's better than what I give him credit for as well, but that remains to be seen.

I also think the inside running had a lot to do with who we had on the offensive line. We all know how fat and sloppy Willie Colon was, well Max wasn't exactly mobile either. Last year, Ramon Foster was still a chubby bubby, and Marcus Gilbert is hardly a 'in space' kind of blocker.

This season, it's very apparent that Ramon Foster has dropped a lot of weight, and we will have DeCastro instead of Colon (huge bump in athleticism) as well as Adams and Gilbert (hopefully in better shape).

Of course, I say this with baited breath and crossed fingers

FourThreeMafia wrote:
However, I could see LaRod Stephens Howling getting 75 carries this season if they want to add a different dynamic. The Cardinals didnt use him well and I think he could end up being a Mewelde Moore esque signing in terms of impact.

I see LSH as Haley's Dexter McCluster, but I don't know that I agree he'll be as impactful as Moore simply because I am not real confident that LSH is a 3rd down blocker kinda guy. I do see him being a Josh Cribbs-esque special teamer with some fancy-schmancy thrown in on offense
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Dwyer could fit well in this system if he takes [inappropriate/removed] seriously. Quickness is more important than speed, which describes Bell in college. I'm still not sure how well he transitions. Hopefully he's Forte/Foster type.

The few times the team tried to run outside last year, it was just as ugly and ineffective as the inside runs. It was a huge issue last year that Haley's offense seemed to be centered toward the same area of the field.
gatek99

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who do you think will end up making the team?

Also, do you think Bell will be a good pickup in a dynasty fantasy league, or what rookie RBs will be better than him this season?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatek99 wrote:

Also, do you think Bell will be a good pickup in a dynasty fantasy league, or what rookie RBs will be better than him this season?

out of this crop of RBs, I think Bell is in the best situation for fantasy, and although I like Franklin a bit better overall, unless Lacy goes down, I have Bell as the #1 rookie for fantasy this year
wwhickok

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatek99 wrote:

I think Franklin my be better but honestly...that's it.

I think Le'Veon Bell comes into a really good situation with a young, potentially stout offensive line.

As far as who makes the Roster. I think Baron Batch AND Jonathan Dwyer will be cut. I think that there's enough RB's out there that if the Steelers want to add a veteran they could, but I see Howling, Bell, and Redman as our RBs.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
jebrick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
With the switch to the ZBS it will be easier to get to the outside. You don't need elite speed to do so in that scheme. Don't know how well Bell fits the ZBS scheme but I can only assume they're confident he can given they drafted him knowing they were making the switch. As for the article, even though I knew the Steelers called a lot of plays BTT, it's frustrating to see the actual numbers (75% BTT and 7% OTT) on paper. It's somewhat comforting to know the issue has been recognized and in the process of getting fixed.

i worry more about the olinemen and the system. Not that most of them can't do it but that it takes a long time of playing together to make it work right.

SteelProven

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zone blocking gives RBs of all dynamics the ability to run outside. Alfred Morris comes to mind when it comes to a average speed back getting outside. Bell isn't slow and has some of the fastest 10 yard splits the pass couple drafts. Which tells me he has very good once he receives the handoff.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: