Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rumor Has it...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El Duderino

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Rumor Has it... Reply with quote

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/04/rumor-mill-already-has-linked-brian-kelly-to-lions/

Quote:
Weeks before Lions vice chairman Bill Ford Jr. chose the “no comment” option when asked whether coach Jim Schwartz needs to have a big season in 2013, the rumor mill already had been grinding.

As the theory goes, if the Lions don’t turn it around this year, Schwartz will be out and the Lions will pursue Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly.

Kelly flirted with the Eagles after the BCS national title game, before deciding to stay at South Bend. It’s now believed that the CEO of Notre Dame Football, Inc. will eventually jump to the NFL.

Before coaching at Notre Dame and the University of Cincinnati, Kelly spent 20 years in Michigan, serving as an assistant at Division II Grand Valley State from 1987 through 1990, head coach from 1991 through 2003, and then head coach at Central Michigan from 2004 through 2006.
DTOW

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God I hope not. Not a fan of Kelly's.
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This makes me pray even harder that we turn it around. I like Schwartz, though he has faults. I just hope he is learning from mistakes.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd still like to know what Schawrtz's contract looks like. But, I'm glad they're holding him to a standard now and expect results. I like him, but we need to see more and the Lions need to make improvements and start to put things together on the field.

I'd like to see some heat on Mayhew also. They can't spin in circles forever.

Team Stylish313
stylish313

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:
I'd still like to know what Schawrtz's contract looks like. But, I'm glad they're holding him to a standard now and expect results. I like him, but we need to see more and the Lions need to make improvements and start to put things together on the field.

I'd like to see some heat on Mayhew also. They can't spin in circles forever.
Yeah, neither of these guys deserve a pass after this upcoming season. It's been long enough.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This makes the Ansah pick look even worse to me really. He is scheme specific for this staff and not really sure he how he fits beyond wide 9.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope those are just rumors because Im not a big fan of Brian Kelly

CWood21 wrote:
This anti-Teddy crap is getting out of hand.

R.I.P. Stylish
thenoilif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
This makes the Ansah pick look even worse to me really. He is scheme specific for this staff and not really sure he how he fits beyond wide 9.

How is he scheme specific? He's a pure pasher yes but many 4-3 schemes incorporate pure pash rushers albeit they are generally just situational guys but I'm sure they forsee him being an everydown guy at some point given his draft position
DrRay11

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:

I think he's got the potential to succeed in any 4-3 scheme. Obviously he's more ready to pin his ears back/wide-9 right now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:

I think he's got the potential to succeed in any 4-3 scheme. Obviously he's more ready to pin his ears back/wide-9 right now.

I'd agree. He's got ideal size and elite measurables. When I think "guys who only fit the wide-9" I think of players like Jason Babin who are obviously one-dimensional and would struggle if they had to take on an OT at a fair angle. Ansah needs some seasoning, but if he's able to learn the fundamentals then he shouldn't be in over his head against just about anyone in the league. Schwartz has kind of built his own reputation based on developing defensive linemen.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for three years running!)
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear that performance has become an issue and Ford Jr. expects results.

It's about time someone in authority within the franchise expects results and that finally perhaps they will hold people accountable. Hopefully Ford has the same expectations of Mayhew.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course there's also this:

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/articles/2013/06/05/sports/doc51ae2db2a9b78895122797.txt

Bill Ford wrote:
I think Jim (Schwartz) has a really good staff that he’s put together this year. I think Jim would be the first to admit that there have been times where he’s learned on the job, but I think he’s a very, very good coach.’

Bill Ford wrote:
I think Martin (Mayhew) has done a great job of getting the roster a lot more depth than we had, I think, going into prior seasons. The chemistry seems very good.

Paula Pasche wrote:
While the perception is that the Lions must win this season or jobs will be on the line, Ford would not say that.

Bill Ford wrote:
I think people have their own perceptions and their own expectations. We go into every season expecting us to be good.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for three years running!)
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean obviously Schwartz is on the hot seat this season and Brian Kelly has had success everywhere he's been.

That being said if Schwartz is fired I would like to see a proven NFL coach who's had some success in the league be the hire. No more giving guys their first break.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Lions fire Schwartz I'd like to see them go after Gruden.

Team Stylish313
DTOW

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan630 wrote:
I mean obviously Schwartz is on the hot seat this season and Brian Kelly has had success everywhere he's been.

That being said if Schwartz is fired I would like to see a proven NFL coach who's had some success in the league be the hire. No more giving guys their first break.

Cough-Bill Cowher-Cough

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: