Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears host former Raiders first rounder QB JaMarcus Russell
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DaMike


Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 5424
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
DaMike wrote:
The kid has big time talent but I highly doubt he can overcome his immaturity.

See he really never had that talent though. His one great college season he had 4 NFL receivers to throw to (Dwayne Bowe, Buster Davis, Early Doucet and Brandon LaFell) plus freshman Trindon Holliday all at his disposal. That's a wrecking crew of a college offense even if Davis didn't pan out in the NFL. One thing that's always said is that you really can't become a significantly more accurate passer, and Russell was historically inaccurate in his first go around.

Also of note is that future White Sox 1st rounder Jared Mitchell was on that 2006 LSU team.
His natural abilities are undeniable. You cant teach 6'6" with that arm. The WRs have little to do with it. His rise in the draft was based off his offseason and pro day. Many say it was the most impressive pro day for a QB ever.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Slaymont Harris


Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 1142
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugashane wrote:


Quote:
"He doesn't have explosive arm strength, but he has more than adequate arm strength to throw the ball in the NFL and make all the throws," Trestman said at the time, the Morning Journal reported, via ESPNChicago.com's Michael C. Wright. "I saw him do something totally different in seven or eight days. I can only imagine what he's going to do in one year or two years, because he's going to outwork everybody else and find a way to figure it out. If you're a coach and you love coaching quarterbacks, you'd love the opportunity to develop Tim Tebow."


If he really believed he could simply develop a QB he would have given a serious look at him


He was training Tebow, so of course he was going to talk him up. That statement is pretty meaningless at this point. If Trestman was going to pick a young QB to develop for his offense, Tebow would be the exact wrong guy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AZBearsFan


Moderator
Joined: 04 Feb 2006
Posts: 10772
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
DaMike wrote:
The kid has big time talent but I highly doubt he can overcome his immaturity.

See he really never had that talent though. His one great college season he had 4 NFL receivers to throw to (Dwayne Bowe, Buster Davis, Early Doucet and Brandon LaFell) plus freshman Trindon Holliday all at his disposal. That's a wrecking crew of a college offense even if Davis didn't pan out in the NFL. One thing that's always said is that you really can't become a significantly more accurate passer, and Russell was historically inaccurate in his first go around.

Also of note is that future White Sox 1st rounder Jared Mitchell was on that 2006 LSU team.
His natural abilities are undeniable. You cant teach 6'6" with that arm. The WRs have little to do with it. His rise in the draft was based off his offseason and pro day. Many say it was the most impressive pro day for a QB ever.

Being 6'6" isn't an ability it's a physical trait, and that huge arm doesn't do him a whole lot of good completing only 50% or so of his passes. Mike Vick and Kyle Boller both have cannon arms too but that doesn't make either a good QB. Not only was Russell absolutely NOT worthy of the top selection on his own merits, but making the bad pick worse are that amongst the top 15 picks that year are the best WR (Calvin Johnson, 2nd), LT (Joe Thomas, 3rd), RB (Adrian Peterson, 7th), MLB (Patrick Willis, 11th) and CB (Darrelle Revis, 14th) in the NFL today. That's a LEGENDARY draft class.
_________________

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaMike


Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 5424
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
DaMike wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
DaMike wrote:
The kid has big time talent but I highly doubt he can overcome his immaturity.

See he really never had that talent though. His one great college season he had 4 NFL receivers to throw to (Dwayne Bowe, Buster Davis, Early Doucet and Brandon LaFell) plus freshman Trindon Holliday all at his disposal. That's a wrecking crew of a college offense even if Davis didn't pan out in the NFL. One thing that's always said is that you really can't become a significantly more accurate passer, and Russell was historically inaccurate in his first go around.

Also of note is that future White Sox 1st rounder Jared Mitchell was on that 2006 LSU team.
His natural abilities are undeniable. You cant teach 6'6" with that arm. The WRs have little to do with it. His rise in the draft was based off his offseason and pro day. Many say it was the most impressive pro day for a QB ever.

Being 6'6" isn't an ability it's a physical trait, and that huge arm doesn't do him a whole lot of good completing only 50% or so of his passes. Mike Vick and Kyle Boller both have cannon arms too but that doesn't make either a good QB. Not only was Russell absolutely NOT worthy of the top selection on his own merits, but making the bad pick worse are that amongst the top 15 picks that year are the best WR (Calvin Johnson, 2nd), LT (Joe Thomas, 3rd), RB (Adrian Peterson, 7th), MLB (Patrick Willis, 11th) and CB (Darrelle Revis, 14th) in the NFL today. That's a LEGENDARY draft class.
If you dont think Russell is physically talented then you dont know what you're talking about. Also those other guys dont matter. Calvin Johnson and maybe Peterson were the only possible options. That really doesnt matter though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AZBearsFan


Moderator
Joined: 04 Feb 2006
Posts: 10772
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
DaMike wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
DaMike wrote:
The kid has big time talent but I highly doubt he can overcome his immaturity.

See he really never had that talent though. His one great college season he had 4 NFL receivers to throw to (Dwayne Bowe, Buster Davis, Early Doucet and Brandon LaFell) plus freshman Trindon Holliday all at his disposal. That's a wrecking crew of a college offense even if Davis didn't pan out in the NFL. One thing that's always said is that you really can't become a significantly more accurate passer, and Russell was historically inaccurate in his first go around.

Also of note is that future White Sox 1st rounder Jared Mitchell was on that 2006 LSU team.
His natural abilities are undeniable. You cant teach 6'6" with that arm. The WRs have little to do with it. His rise in the draft was based off his offseason and pro day. Many say it was the most impressive pro day for a QB ever.

Being 6'6" isn't an ability it's a physical trait, and that huge arm doesn't do him a whole lot of good completing only 50% or so of his passes. Mike Vick and Kyle Boller both have cannon arms too but that doesn't make either a good QB. Not only was Russell absolutely NOT worthy of the top selection on his own merits, but making the bad pick worse are that amongst the top 15 picks that year are the best WR (Calvin Johnson, 2nd), LT (Joe Thomas, 3rd), RB (Adrian Peterson, 7th), MLB (Patrick Willis, 11th) and CB (Darrelle Revis, 14th) in the NFL today. That's a LEGENDARY draft class.
If you dont think Russell is physically talented then you dont know what you're talking about. Also those other guys dont matter. Calvin Johnson and maybe Peterson were the only possible options. That really doesnt matter though.

He has one big time physical tool - he has a big arm. But what else? He was never particularly strong - just big. He was never a fast runner (4.83 40 time). He is only a marginally accurate passer except for one season. I think teams saw him and thought he could be a young Daunte Culpepper and allowed themselves to be duped by his workout much like they were with Kyle Boller.

Russell had some ability for sure and was worthy of being a 1st rounder on potential alone but nothing that closely suggests IMO he should have been a #1 overall pick. Certainly not over Calvin, Joe Thomas or AP who all had far better credentials to be taken there and all of whom would have filled big needs for the Raiders at the time as well. A #1 overall is supposed to be a far more refined prospect than he ever was. Russell being #1 was the prime example of a team overdrafting a guy based on positional value.
_________________

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sugashane


Joined: 06 Jan 2013
Posts: 986
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slaymont Harris wrote:
Sugashane wrote:


Quote:
"He doesn't have explosive arm strength, but he has more than adequate arm strength to throw the ball in the NFL and make all the throws," Trestman said at the time, the Morning Journal reported, via ESPNChicago.com's Michael C. Wright. "I saw him do something totally different in seven or eight days. I can only imagine what he's going to do in one year or two years, because he's going to outwork everybody else and find a way to figure it out. If you're a coach and you love coaching quarterbacks, you'd love the opportunity to develop Tim Tebow."


If he really believed he could simply develop a QB he would have given a serious look at him


He was training Tebow, so of course he was going to talk him up. That statement is pretty meaningless at this point. If Trestman was going to pick a young QB to develop for his offense, Tebow would be the exact wrong guy.


Other than the fanatical fan base, why is that exactly? His accuracy? I think we can all agree a large part of that is due to inconsistent mechanic and his footwork is absolutely horrendous. Trestman could fix both if he is a QB guru, thus leading to a much improve accuracy with his throws. Trestman brings in a WCO and Kromer worked with Brees who by no means has a powerful arm (but is far more accurate than all but the elite QBs) so the scheme doesn't require having a Cutler or Russell type arm. It has been said that a read option may be used, Tebow has obviously had a LOT of experience with that in Florida and Denver. If we are going to be doing naked bootlegs to their strong side (right handed QBs moving right, left moving left) then we have Bushrod sealing off the DE, as opposed to Webb on the right side. He also is a much bigger threat in the run game. He wouldn't need to throw for 4,500 yards, because with him the run game for him and the RBs improve. Look at Vick, he has had one year that was great in terms of passing, and has only thrown for 3000 yards 2 times, but his threat as a runner adds around 500 yards a season (more if he wouldn't get hurt so often) and his RBs YPC go up as well, as the defense has to commit to one or the other, and there will be big plays resulting from poor reads in the defense.

I'm just saying, Tebow has all the physical tools and has intangibles are off the charts. You can't teach the leadership he has, its innate. His problems are mental (reading defenses and technique). So why would he be the "exact wrong guy?" Those are the things that can be improved upon the most, especially by a QB guru, and especially when the work ethic is guaranteed to be top notch. Trestman hyping him up, then literally seeming like he won't back up his own talk hurts his credibility. It is like the talk Rex Ryan has had, making claims to get some hype, then not following through (albeit on a much smaller scale).

I understand the circus following Tebow, but Emery and Trestman seem to be savvy enough not to let that bother them, and you know Jay wouldn't give two squirts about the media's opinions. He knows he's the starter and he knows he's working for a huge contract, so whoever is the back up isn't a priority for him at all.
_________________
2013 Kyle Long Rookie of the Year Award
Adopt-a-Bear
Matt Forte
The march for 2,000 All Purpose Yards
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Slaymont Harris


Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 1142
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugashane wrote:


Other than the fanatical fan base, why is that exactly? His accuracy? I think we can all agree a large part of that is due to inconsistent mechanic and his footwork is absolutely horrendous. Trestman could fix both if he is a QB guru, thus leading to a much improve accuracy with his throws. Trestman brings in a WCO and Kromer worked with Brees who by no means has a powerful arm (but is far more accurate than all but the elite QBs) so the scheme doesn't require having a Cutler or Russell type arm. It has been said that a read option may be used, Tebow has obviously had a LOT of experience with that in Florida and Denver. If we are going to be doing naked bootlegs to their strong side (right handed QBs moving right, left moving left) then we have Bushrod sealing off the DE, as opposed to Webb on the right side. He also is a much bigger threat in the run game. He wouldn't need to throw for 4,500 yards, because with him the run game for him and the RBs improve. Look at Vick, he has had one year that was great in terms of passing, and has only thrown for 3000 yards 2 times, but his threat as a runner adds around 500 yards a season (more if he wouldn't get hurt so often) and his RBs YPC go up as well, as the defense has to commit to one or the other, and there will be big plays resulting from poor reads in the defense.

I'm just saying, Tebow has all the physical tools and has intangibles are off the charts. You can't teach the leadership he has, its innate. His problems are mental (reading defenses and technique). So why would he be the "exact wrong guy?" Those are the things that can be improved upon the most, especially by a QB guru, and especially when the work ethic is guaranteed to be top notch. Trestman hyping him up, then literally seeming like he won't back up his own talk hurts his credibility. It is like the talk Rex Ryan has had, making claims to get some hype, then not following through (albeit on a much smaller scale).

I understand the circus following Tebow, but Emery and Trestman seem to be savvy enough not to let that bother them, and you know Jay wouldn't give two squirts about the media's opinions. He knows he's the starter and he knows he's working for a huge contract, so whoever is the back up isn't a priority for him at all.


I'm not talking about the "circus", but that his current playing style is exactly the wrong skill set for a typical west coast offense. If his first read isn't open, he runs around until somebody is. No throwing people open, bad accuracy, inability to read a defense. As far as I can tell, he hasn't really improved much at all in those areas since being drafted.

If Trestman was going to pick a developmental QB, why not one that demonstrated these abilities in college in a pro style west coast? Why start with someone who has been in the league for 3 years and has demonstrated extremely poor ability in every physical and mental passing attribute needed to be a good pro west coast QB?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GOGRIESE


Joined: 04 Dec 2006
Posts: 18330
Location: Austin Texas
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugashane wrote:



I understand the circus following Tebow, but Emery and Trestman seem to be savvy enough not to let that bother them, and you know Jay wouldn't give two squirts about the media's opinions. He knows he's the starter and he knows he's working for a huge contract, so whoever is the back up isn't a priority for him at all.


This is just a huge assumption. Your assuming that Trestman and Emery wont care if Cutler has a bad game and Tebow's fan base starts screaming for him to start everyday. It'll be all over ESPN and NFL Network.

Your also assuming that Cutler wont be pissed because of the circus that has now engulfed the team.

As for attempting to fix him well thats just a giant waist of time. The chances are that you completely overhaul his mechanics(fixing that problem) and fix him mentally are slim to none(Nobody has done it yet and for a good reason). Plus then you have the circus added onto it. Lets stop talking about Tebow. I'd rather have Josh McCown as the backup everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.
_________________

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sugashane


Joined: 06 Jan 2013
Posts: 986
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slaymont Harris wrote:
Sugashane wrote:


Other than the fanatical fan base, why is that exactly? His accuracy? I think we can all agree a large part of that is due to inconsistent mechanic and his footwork is absolutely horrendous. Trestman could fix both if he is a QB guru, thus leading to a much improve accuracy with his throws. Trestman brings in a WCO and Kromer worked with Brees who by no means has a powerful arm (but is far more accurate than all but the elite QBs) so the scheme doesn't require having a Cutler or Russell type arm. It has been said that a read option may be used, Tebow has obviously had a LOT of experience with that in Florida and Denver. If we are going to be doing naked bootlegs to their strong side (right handed QBs moving right, left moving left) then we have Bushrod sealing off the DE, as opposed to Webb on the right side. He also is a much bigger threat in the run game. He wouldn't need to throw for 4,500 yards, because with him the run game for him and the RBs improve. Look at Vick, he has had one year that was great in terms of passing, and has only thrown for 3000 yards 2 times, but his threat as a runner adds around 500 yards a season (more if he wouldn't get hurt so often) and his RBs YPC go up as well, as the defense has to commit to one or the other, and there will be big plays resulting from poor reads in the defense.

I'm just saying, Tebow has all the physical tools and has intangibles are off the charts. You can't teach the leadership he has, its innate. His problems are mental (reading defenses and technique). So why would he be the "exact wrong guy?" Those are the things that can be improved upon the most, especially by a QB guru, and especially when the work ethic is guaranteed to be top notch. Trestman hyping him up, then literally seeming like he won't back up his own talk hurts his credibility. It is like the talk Rex Ryan has had, making claims to get some hype, then not following through (albeit on a much smaller scale).

I understand the circus following Tebow, but Emery and Trestman seem to be savvy enough not to let that bother them, and you know Jay wouldn't give two squirts about the media's opinions. He knows he's the starter and he knows he's working for a huge contract, so whoever is the back up isn't a priority for him at all.


I'm not talking about the "circus", but that his current playing style is exactly the wrong skill set for a typical west coast offense. If his first read isn't open, he runs around until somebody is. No throwing people open, bad accuracy, inability to read a defense. As far as I can tell, he hasn't really improved much at all in those areas since being drafted.

If Trestman was going to pick a developmental QB, why not one that demonstrated these abilities in college in a pro style west coast? Why start with someone who has been in the league for 3 years and has demonstrated extremely poor ability in every physical and mental passing attribute needed to be a good pro west coast QB?



That's what Jay did last year, and he is a far better and more aware QB than Tebow. IF Trestman is suppose to change that with Jay, why not another QB? Throwing people open, bad accuracy, and being unable to read a defense are also major parts of being coached up, or an elite talent. We're not looking for Rodgers, Brees, or Brady. In my lifetime as a Bears fan (I'm 25) when have we had that? Jay can improv with Marshall, but we haven't had a QB do any of those with regularity and success for one reason or another. There is no way to tell with him getting all of 8 attempts last year, completing 6, and one of the incompletions was a bomb that was just dropped.

Neither of the two (Tim or JaMarcus) have shown shown to be effective in the west coast as you have stated.. Russell played with a dynamite WR and with Bowe he could throw it up and Bowe would go get it, just has he has in the NFL. He never has been able to throw someone open, and that was even in a lot of reports on him going into the draft, so that is a moot point. Generally, if someone can read a defense well enough to throw before a route is complete, they aren't going to come in to be a back up or are going to be drafted as an earlier pick. We're not using an early pick or getting either of them to the guidelines you picked out, so I don't really know where you are trying to go with this. Russell showed nothing but a big arm, lack of discipline, and a poor work ethic. Tim might does not have the arm but at least you'll get 100% out of him every play, I'll take that way before 15% from a bum.




GOGRIESE wrote:
Sugashane wrote:



I understand the circus following Tebow, but Emery and Trestman seem to be savvy enough not to let that bother them, and you know Jay wouldn't give two squirts about the media's opinions. He knows he's the starter and he knows he's working for a huge contract, so whoever is the back up isn't a priority for him at all.


This is just a huge assumption. Your assuming that Trestman and Emery wont care if Cutler has a bad game and Tebow's fan base starts screaming for him to start everyday. It'll be all over ESPN and NFL Network.

Your also assuming that Cutler wont be pissed because of the circus that has now engulfed the team.

As for attempting to fix him well thats just a giant waist of time. The chances are that you completely overhaul his mechanics(fixing that problem) and fix him mentally are slim to none(Nobody has done it yet and for a good reason). Plus then you have the circus added onto it. Lets stop talking about Tebow. I'd rather have Josh McCown as the backup everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.


Of course it is an assumption, hence why I said "seem." If Rex Ryan wouldn't give in I'd hope Emery could hire someone with at least the same level of confidence in his own choices. Jay is likely the most hated guy in the league due to the media, they didn't cave with Campbell, why cave because there are more people crying? I'd hope Emery had the balls to think he knew better than Skip Bayless, if not we're going to have the same success as with Angelo.

Who has tried? You're making an even bigger assumption than I did, by far. Who was a QB guru for the NYJ? And did you get to see any of DEN's practices? Do you know if they focused on him much? Because I remember Orton starting and Tebow jumping in on basically trying to help the team stay afloat. I don't remember Elway giving any support to Tim, he didn't even want him, so why put time and energy into improving his game for the long term? You're basically throwing Jay in the same boat as his mechanics have been off his whole career, throwing off his back foot, etc. McDaniels was the one who wanted to develop him and he never had a chance due to getting fired. You're just making a passive argument without any real substance.

I don't care if people want Tim or not, I have no belief he will get signed by the Bears, but if anyone is saying Russell is going to man up and change his entire approach in life, to be the gym rat and film junkie like an elite player, and display skills like throwing someone open or reading defenses then I am highly skeptical. He won't put the work in to make that jump, that is why he was so dismal in the NFL, while having such a great "potential." But to compound that while saying Tim can't simply get his mechanics tightened up and get coached up to be just an average QB? Ludicrous.
_________________
2013 Kyle Long Rookie of the Year Award
Adopt-a-Bear
Matt Forte
The march for 2,000 All Purpose Yards
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GOGRIESE


Joined: 04 Dec 2006
Posts: 18330
Location: Austin Texas
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugashane wrote:

Of course it is an assumption, hence why I said "seem." If Rex Ryan wouldn't give in I'd hope Emery could hire someone with at least the same level of confidence in his own choices. Jay is likely the most hated guy in the league due to the media, they didn't cave with Campbell, why cave because there are more people crying? I'd hope Emery had the balls to think he knew better than Skip Bayless, if not we're going to have the same success as with Angelo.

Who has tried? You're making an even bigger assumption than I did, by far. Who was a QB guru for the NYJ? And did you get to see any of DEN's practices? Do you know if they focused on him much? Because I remember Orton starting and Tebow jumping in on basically trying to help the team stay afloat. I don't remember Elway giving any support to Tim, he didn't even want him, so why put time and energy into improving his game for the long term? You're basically throwing Jay in the same boat as his mechanics have been off his whole career, throwing off his back foot, etc. McDaniels was the one who wanted to develop him and he never had a chance due to getting fired. You're just making a passive argument without any real substance.

I don't care if people want Tim or not, I have no belief he will get signed by the Bears, but if anyone is saying Russell is going to man up and change his entire approach in life, to be the gym rat and film junkie like an elite player, and display skills like throwing someone open or reading defenses then I am highly skeptical. He won't put the work in to make that jump, that is why he was so dismal in the NFL, while having such a great "potential." But to compound that while saying Tim can't simply get his mechanics tightened up and get coached up to be just an average QB? Ludicrous.


Who the hell is saying for sure that Russel is going to man up and change his life?

You should know the QB coach for the Jets last years....he is our QB coach. The Broncos and the Jets have tried. All you have to do is read about what they are doing during training camp to understand they were trying to make his mechanics more crisp. Basically trying to shorten that long throwing motion that gets him in trouble.

As for your argument with Cutler and the media thats just silly. There are a few calling him to get benched. But most of it is he's a wuss and cant man up. That argument isnt even remotely the same.

I didnt throw Jay into any boat. My argument is simple. The circus is worse with Tebow. If I had to choose I would take Russell.

Oh and btw Rex Ryan put a black mark on his resume with this signing. You think Phil would take that chance looking at where Ryan is right now?

You know something that's also funny. Russell has gotten more interest in the past few days than Tim Tebow has since he has been released.
_________________

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26


Last edited by GOGRIESE on Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Slaymont Harris


Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 1142
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugashane wrote:


I don't care if people want Tim or not, I have no belief he will get signed by the Bears, but if anyone is saying Russell is going to man up and change his entire approach in life, to be the gym rat and film junkie like an elite player, and display skills like throwing someone open or reading defenses then I am highly skeptical. He won't put the work in to make that jump, that is why he was so dismal in the NFL, while having such a great "potential." But to compound that while saying Tim can't simply get his mechanics tightened up and get coached up to be just an average QB? Ludicrous.

I never said anything about Jamarcus. I think he would be terrible too, but the Bears are just looking at him for emergency reasons.

The problem is that Tebow needs WAAAAAY more than to have his mechanics "tightened up". They need to be completely overhauled. He can't throw passes like a typical starting NFL QB in terms of footwork, throwing mechanics, and touch, and it's unlikely he'll ever be average in all of those departments.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GOGRIESE


Joined: 04 Dec 2006
Posts: 18330
Location: Austin Texas
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel Corry ‏@corryjoel 7m
@PSchrags If JaMarcus Russell can duplicate his pre-draft workout performance for the Chicago Bears, he will get signed.
Retweeted by P. Schrager
View conversation
P. Schrager ‏@PSchrags 25m
Source tells me that Russell was working out with Mark Sanchez and Carson Palmer in April and was tossing the ball better than both.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
P. Schrager ‏@PSchrags 29m
Source who's seen him tells me he's down to 265 pounds and throwing the ball as well as he ever did in pre-draft workouts.
Expand
P. Schrager ‏@PSchrags 29m
JaMarcus Russell's much anticipated tryout with the Chicago Bears is tomorrow afternoon. I'm hearing great things about the new Russell.
Expand
https://twitter.com/PSchrags
_________________

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AZBearsFan


Moderator
Joined: 04 Feb 2006
Posts: 10772
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOGRIESE wrote:
Joel Corry ‏@corryjoel 7m
@PSchrags If JaMarcus Russell can duplicate his pre-draft workout performance for the Chicago Bears, he will get signed.
Retweeted by P. Schrager
View conversation
P. Schrager ‏@PSchrags 25m
Source tells me that Russell was working out with Mark Sanchez and Carson Palmer in April and was tossing the ball better than both.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
P. Schrager ‏@PSchrags 29m
Source who's seen him tells me he's down to 265 pounds and throwing the ball as well as he ever did in pre-draft workouts.
Expand
P. Schrager ‏@PSchrags 29m
JaMarcus Russell's much anticipated tryout with the Chicago Bears is tomorrow afternoon. I'm hearing great things about the new Russell.
Expand
https://twitter.com/PSchrags

If he looks great then why isn't he trying out for a team where he would actually have a chance to play? There are plenty of teams with far worse QB situations than ours.

Seems to me the hype machine may have been kicked up a notch on this one...
_________________

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChicagoAl


Joined: 10 Jan 2008
Posts: 7862
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOGRIESE wrote:
Sugashane wrote:



I understand the circus following Tebow, but Emery and Trestman seem to be savvy enough not to let that bother them, and you know Jay wouldn't give two squirts about the media's opinions. He knows he's the starter and he knows he's working for a huge contract, so whoever is the back up isn't a priority for him at all.


This is just a huge assumption. Your assuming that Trestman and Emery wont care if Cutler has a bad game and Tebow's fan base starts screaming for him to start everyday. It'll be all over ESPN and NFL Network.

Your also assuming that Cutler wont be pissed because of the circus that has now engulfed the team.

As for attempting to fix him well thats just a giant waist of time. The chances are that you completely overhaul his mechanics(fixing that problem) and fix him mentally are slim to none(Nobody has done it yet and for a good reason). Plus then you have the circus added onto it. Lets stop talking about Tebow. I'd rather have Josh McCown as the backup everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.
There is no "Tebow fan base" in Chicago even among those of us not in the lynch mob to run him out of the league.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mudderfudder77


Joined: 14 Jan 2005
Posts: 1838
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
Joel Corry ‏@corryjoel 7m
@PSchrags If JaMarcus Russell can duplicate his pre-draft workout performance for the Chicago Bears, he will get signed.
Retweeted by P. Schrager
View conversation
P. Schrager ‏@PSchrags 25m
Source tells me that Russell was working out with Mark Sanchez and Carson Palmer in April and was tossing the ball better than both.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
P. Schrager ‏@PSchrags 29m
Source who's seen him tells me he's down to 265 pounds and throwing the ball as well as he ever did in pre-draft workouts.
Expand
P. Schrager ‏@PSchrags 29m
JaMarcus Russell's much anticipated tryout with the Chicago Bears is tomorrow afternoon. I'm hearing great things about the new Russell.
Expand
https://twitter.com/PSchrags

If he looks great then why isn't he trying out for a team where he would actually have a chance to play? There are plenty of teams with far worse QB situations than ours.

Seems to me the hype machine may have been kicked up a notch on this one...



Russell's talents in workouts is undeniable. Scouts were raving about his pre-draft workouts - comparing him to every great QB you can think of. I don't doubt for a second that Russell was throwing better than Palmer and Sanchez in workouts - those guys don't exactly impress anymore, and Russell has a legitimate cannon for an arm.

The problem for Russell is that he carries two tons of baggage, and no team with a real QB need is going to take the risk of investing the time/money into him as the 'primary'. He's been out of football for too long, and gotten into too much trouble while he was away to be anything more than a pet project for a team. If he can stay clean and show well for a year - I expect he'll have some serious interest and opportunity next off-season (assuming he signs a one year deal).
_________________


Adopt-a-Bear Lamarr Houston

Man-child. QB-killer. Defender of the run. Destroyer of worlds
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group