Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears host former Raiders first rounder QB JaMarcus Russell
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Bears host former Raiders first rounder QB JaMarcus Russell Reply with quote

Quote:
Former Oakland Raiders No. 1 overall pick JaMarcus Russell gets his first shot at returning to the NFL on Friday when he visits the Chicago Bears for a workout.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/9342308/source-jamarcus-russell-work-chicago-bears-friday

Russell shed 50 pounds and is now 265 pounds, same size he entered the league with.

***Update***
Quote:
Bears had no plans to sign any of 3 QBs working out today but Jamarcus Russell did weigh in at 267 lbs. Good for him, regardless.

https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/343085653711523840

Quote:
JaMarcus Russell is willing to play in Canada if he doesn't sign with an NFL team, per @JeffGarciaJGFA , who has trained him

http://twitter.com/mortreport/statuses/343087293067837440
Tom Brady Tribute

Last edited by Billy Spikes on Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
IronMike84

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He will be trying out for a new position as the team's pastry chef. It's a subject he knows about thoroughly.
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. Let Trestman take a look at him and decide whether or not he's worth bringing back. No downside.

Adopt-a-Bear Lamarr Houston

Man-child. QB-killer. Defender of the run. Destroyer of worlds
Madmike90

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell is known for having a poor work ethic even after losing weight I canít see any way he will be willing to work hard enough to learn the things Trestman is going to throw at him...but at least Emery is still looking at all options.
ConVict90

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling this is a setup to convert Russell to LT...

TCKL-
SCK-
FF-
INT-
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 3m
Add Trent Edwards and Jordan Palmer to mix for #Bears QB workout with JaMarcus Russell per @DanPompei http://trib.in/14eV3WA
https://twitter.com/BradBiggs

No harm in a tryout. Another QB behind Cutler couldnt hurt.

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
DaMike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kid has big time talent but I highly doubt he can overcome his immaturity.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always hear less knowledgeable fans complaining about how the Bears need to "take a look" at guys and now I'm hearing a lot of outrage over the mere consideration of J'marcus Russell. Nothing like wanting to have to both ways, especially for a fanbase that has obsessed over terrible free agents for years.
GrimeyKid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Russell is known for having a poor work ethic even after losing weight I canít see any way he will be willing to work hard enough to learn the things Trestman is going to throw at him...but at least Emery is still looking at all options.

Hes lost most of the family that was dear to him and now hes a change man. Look for a brian banks type of effort out of him.

2012 Adopt-A-Falcon

Jacquizz Rodgers #32
Madmike90

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrimeyKid wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

Hes lost most of the family that was dear to him and now hes a change man. Look for a brian banks type of effort out of him.

Iíll believe it if I see it.
TexasBearsFan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny how many meatheads are acting like we're signing him to a 5 year deal like, yesterday.

Worst case scenario, Trestman doesn't like what he sees and we tell him thanks but no thanks. Best case scenario, he really impresses and we finally have a backup who can throw a ball more than 10 yards.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TexasBearsFan wrote:
It's funny how many meatheads are acting like we're signing him to a 5 year deal like, yesterday.

Worst case scenario, Trestman doesn't like what he sees and we tell him thanks but no thanks. Best case scenario, he really impresses and we finally have a backup who can throw a ball more than 10 yards.

Worst case scenario: We pick him up and cutler gets injured and we have to put this guy in..

Best case: We see he is a changed man, and tell him Baltimore needs him more because Flaco is way overpayed and could use the backup
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:

See he really never had that talent though. His one great college season he had 4 NFL receivers to throw to (Dwayne Bowe, Buster Davis, Early Doucet and Brandon LaFell) plus freshman Trindon Holliday all at his disposal. That's a wrecking crew of a college offense even if Davis didn't pan out in the NFL. One thing that's always said is that you really can't become a significantly more accurate passer, and Russell was historically inaccurate in his first go around.

Also of note is that future White Sox 1st rounder Jared Mitchell was on that 2006 LSU team.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Sugashane

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
DaMike wrote:

See he really never had that talent though. His one great college season he had 4 NFL receivers to throw to (Dwayne Bowe, Buster Davis, Early Doucet and Brandon LaFell) plus freshman Trindon Holliday all at his disposal. That's a wrecking crew of a college offense even if Davis didn't pan out in the NFL. One thing that's always said is that you really can't become a significantly more accurate passer, and Russell was historically inaccurate in his first go around.

Also of note is that future White Sox 1st rounder Jared Mitchell was on that 2006 LSU team.

I still believe most of his hype is still over his pro day. IF I remember right Mayock said it was the best pro day he has ever seen, and not just for a QB.

I'm not happy with it, but I can't really complain. I just hate the fact he doesn't seem to care about football, and he is too lazy to really improve.

I'm not really a believer that Trestman will develop an average back up QB into a decent starter quality player. I think he sets up a more QB-friendly scheme, but I'm just not sure he will develop those without exceptional talent. If so, he would have already pushed to sign Tebow. Remember what he said before about Tim when he was the one prepping him for the Senior Bowl?

Quote:
"He doesn't have explosive arm strength, but he has more than adequate arm strength to throw the ball in the NFL and make all the throws," Trestman said at the time, the Morning Journal reported, via ESPNChicago.com's Michael C. Wright. "I saw him do something totally different in seven or eight days. I can only imagine what he's going to do in one year or two years, because he's going to outwork everybody else and find a way to figure it out. If you're a coach and you love coaching quarterbacks, you'd love the opportunity to develop Tim Tebow."

If he really believed he could simply develop a QB he would have given a serious look at him, regardless of the zealot Tebow fanatics. Russell isn't going to outwork anyone, so what does he think he is going to get out of him? I just think it is a bit of competition for the back up before he gets cut during preseason, if he gets signed at all. The story just is getting blown out of proportion due to the major bust Russell has been so far.

Oh well, in Emery we trust.
The march for 2,000 All Purpose Yards
Sugashane

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to show how minimal the expectations are of Russell, they're also bringing in Trent Edwards and Jordan Palmer.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/05/bears-to-workout-trent-edwards-jordan-palmer-along-with-jamarcus-russell/

I think Edwards is actually the best option of those three, and the only one that has a chance of supplanting McCown.
The march for 2,000 All Purpose Yards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: