Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Goodell: Jaguars could play two ''home'' games in London
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
iPwn


Global Moderator
Joined: 10 Oct 2009
Posts: 46854
Location: Warbortles Nation
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
iPwn, just a general question: If I'm not mistaken, you're from upstate NY, right? And as far as I've seen, you don't have any ties to the Jacksonville area. So while I understand that much of your determination to get out in front of the 'Jags to London' thing has to do with a desire to... pwn... a theory and story you see as misguided, is there anything beyond that really makes you so personally outraged about the idea of the Jaguars moving to London (or anywhere else for that matter)? Would you stop supporting them if they did relocate, even to London? What difference does it make to you, someone who watches them on television and roots, presumably, more for the team than the city, whether they're playing in Jacksonville or London?

I'm honestly curious, not trying to be snide or anything along those lines. It's just somewhat interesting to me that the person who has, at least on these boards, been the biggest defender of Jacksonville's bonafides as an NFL market be someone who has no ties to the city itself (you can correct me if I'm wrong on that, of course).
I've said this before, that I'm from Upstate New York and have plans to move to Los Angeles once my life settles down. I had no problem with the concept of the Jaguars moving to Los Angeles, as that would actually benefit me as a fan more than possible. But even with the talks of us being the team to move to Los Angeles, I would always take the stance that it wasn't going to happen, because it was never based in actual logic aside from "Jaguars fans suck, they should move." I'm just sick of the same two stories over and over again; Jaguars are moving, Tebow to Jaguars, based on nothing but misinformation. If we want to beat the dead horse some more, that's fine, I guess, but let's actually do it with facts instead of lazy reporting.

My ties in this argument are to the team, the honor of the owner that I trust, expecting journalists to have integrity, and logic. If the Jaguars were to move to London, I would stop following them. Not because they're in London, not because they're no longer an American team, not because they're not my "home team" (as will cause a lot of others to leave). I'd stop being a fan because that means that the patch they put on the jerseys, a patch that I proudly wear, wasn't put on there to respect Jacksonville and their rich military history, but was nothing more than a ploy to use the military presence in Jacksonville to make money until Khan could jettison out of the country while twirling his mustache. I couldn't be a fan of a team owned by a man that chose to slap a city and the military in the face like that for no reason other than that he could and could make some money doing it.

The Jaguars may one day move, they may one day not be able to sustain a team in Jacksonville, I've never suggested that it would be impossible for them to move. The fact that (as of August 2012), the Jaguars had been the least valuable team in the league for 4 straight years is a good starting place for that argument. But to use that piece, it is only fair to properly frame that given the housing market collapse and how hard it hit Florida. But I'm a realist and understand that if that doesn't get better, it could, down the road, lead to the team losing money and offering a way out of the stadium lease. But when you couple that with everything Khan is aggressively perusing in brand expansion, and how just a few months of his efforts got us to 27th in revenue last year, you have to think that Khan isn't going to just let the team rot and let that happen. It's quite clear that Khan is committed to making Jacksonville a very, very profitable market and not taking the easy way out by leaving for London. It may happen one day if he fails, but he doesn't seem to be failing yet, and he's not going to give up so soon, and he certainly isn't in the process of doing it already.

So in summary, I'm sick of this story, I'm sick of the misconceptions, I'm sick of the fact that the only thing anyone ever wants to say about Jacksonville is Tebow and Los Angeles/London and I'm sick of hack journalists that would rather attack me for politely asking for clarification on their made up story than simply tell the truth.
_________________

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BaltimoreTerp


Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Posts: 29922
Location: Washington, DC
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^That's fair. And mostly in line with what I assumed to be the case.

Though I will say this...

Quote:
I'd stop being a fan because that means that the patch they put on the jerseys, a patch that I proudly wear, wasn't put on there to respect Jacksonville and their rich military history, but was nothing more than a ploy to use the military presence in Jacksonville to make money until Khan could jettison out of the country while twirling his mustache. I couldn't be a fan of a team owned by a man that chose to slap a city and the military in the face like that for no reason other than that he could and could make some money doing it.


Regardless of whether Khan is planning on moving the team or not, slapping a military patch on the Jags uniforms is most definitely a ploy to make more money. In fact, there's few things less transparently exploitive than trying to rally people to your brand by associating the troops with them. Either he's using the military patch to make more money for his Jacksonville franchise or he's doing it to make money until he can move them (though like you said it appears that it would be an uphill battle to try to move the team), but either way, it's to make more money. I'd have a hard time believing it's really about Khan's special appreciation for Jacksonville's military history, and would say it's more about Khan's special appreciation for what Jacksonville's military history can do for his bottom line. Which is his prerogative of course, as a business-owner who can credibly use that to boost his profit margins, even if it does seem a little tacky.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iPwn


Global Moderator
Joined: 10 Oct 2009
Posts: 46854
Location: Warbortles Nation
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Regardless of whether Khan is planning on moving the team or not, slapping a military patch on the Jags uniforms is most definitely a ploy to make more money. In fact, there's few things less transparently exploitive than trying to rally people to your brand by associating the troops with them. Either he's using the military patch to make more money for his Jacksonville franchise or he's doing it to make money until he can move them (though like you said it appears that it would be an uphill battle to try to move the team), but either way, it's to make more money. I'd have a hard time believing it's really about Khan's special appreciation for Jacksonville's military history, and would say it's more about Khan's special appreciation for what Jacksonville's military history can do for his bottom line. Which is his prerogative of course, as a business-owner who can credibly use that to boost his profit margins, even if it does seem a little tacky.
No doubt that all business side decisions are in some shape or form influenced by the financial side of it. But my point was more so that putting the shield logo on there while planning to stay in Jacksonville is a way to pay respects and show your dedication to the city and military while making money, whereas putting the shield on there with the intent to leave is a way to slap the city and military in the face while making money. To do the latter is completely disrespectful. I'd like to think that a man who moved to America for a better life, struggled, worked his way from the bottom and through hard work and dedication became a self-made billionare would have a much deeper appreciation for America and the military than to pull something like that. I'm not sure there are many other (legal and even remotely logical) more disrespectful things that an owner could ever do.
_________________

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Oregon Ducks


Joined: 28 Feb 2006
Posts: 16627
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jag fans should feel happy that their team is in the news.
_________________

Oregon RB Tracker
Marshall: 318 rush yds(7.6), 660 rec yds(13.2), 5 TDs
Tyner: 387 rush yds(4.4), 65 rec yds(7.2), 4 TDs
Freeman: 1050 rush yds(5.6), 106 rec yds(9.6), 16 TDs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
jagman777


Joined: 30 May 2006
Posts: 6932
Location: 904
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go sonics!
_________________
StevePerry wrote:
Trust Steve. A belt buckle of that quality will change your life.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
bzane


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 566
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
iPwn, just a general question: If I'm not mistaken, you're from upstate NY, right? And as far as I've seen, you don't have any ties to the Jacksonville area. So while I understand that much of your determination to get out in front of the 'Jags to London' thing has to do with a desire to... pwn... a theory and story you see as misguided, is there anything beyond that really makes you so personally outraged about the idea of the Jaguars moving to London (or anywhere else for that matter)? Would you stop supporting them if they did relocate, even to London? What difference does it make to you, someone who watches them on television and roots, presumably, more for the team than the city, whether they're playing in Jacksonville or London?

I'm honestly curious, not trying to be snide or anything along those lines. It's just somewhat interesting to me that the person who has, at least on these boards, been the biggest defender of Jacksonville's bonafides as an NFL market be someone who has no ties to the city itself (you can correct me if I'm wrong on that, of course).


Sadly, BaltimoreTerp, there are always lonely and unhappy people who grossly overreact to their team losing in the playoffs, failing to make the playoffs, moving to another city, threatening to move......

You can see them on this very forum every year, persons ready to slit their wrists, jump off bridges, stop following football forever, after yet another disappointing season by their chosen team. These are people who take what should be a pleasant diversion and turn it into a religion, or an ism. No matter what transparent lofty motives they claim for their hysteria, what they're doing is inadvertently revealing their own embarrassing obsessions.

There are still fans in Baltimore, I believe, who bitterly refer to the city to which the Colts moved as "Indian-no-place", after all these years. There are people with dead-end lives dependent for their happiness on the fortunes of a football team- something over which they have no control, slavishly devoted to players and owners indifferent to their existence. There are little fan-boys with unsavory man-crushes on professional athletes, worshiping at the shrine of this or that player. From the shrill passions they betray in their comments, one suspects that they have never played organized football themselves, living vicariously through their heroes.

Because a tough football player wouldn't be ready to burst into tears over the fortunes of a remote team. He wouldn't act like a rejected teenage girl when his team disappoints.

Johnny Unitas was once asked if he had cried after a tough loss. He answered no- the only time he would ever cry would be if someone stole his beer. Then he would cry.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Socraticsilence


Joined: 14 Apr 2006
Posts: 3665
Location: Missoula, MT
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we talk for a moment how monumentally dumb a London franchise would be on virtually every level from logistics (time difference alone makes this undoable) to legal issues (the London franchise couldn't have a salary cap legally) to free agency (it's good they'd have no cap since they'd have to overpay for players) to draw (I'm assuming Goodell would let them play games when they wanted to otherwise they would have to be on tape delay a lot for the home fans).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Adrenaline_Flux


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Posts: 20820
Location: The Iowa
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon Ducks wrote:
Jag fans should feel happy that their team is in the news.


oh okay
_________________


Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II

Nobody cares about Big Brother III...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Superman(DH23)


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 19342
Location: Abdi on the sick sig
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Socraticsilence wrote:
Can we talk for a moment how monumentally dumb a London franchise would be on virtually every level from logistics (time difference alone makes this undoable) to legal issues (the London franchise couldn't have a salary cap legally) to free agency (it's good they'd have no cap since they'd have to overpay for players) to draw (I'm assuming Goodell would let them play games when they wanted to otherwise they would have to be on tape delay a lot for the home fans).
I can't speak to the legality of the salary cap in the UK (I'm inclined to believe there is a loop hole there) but the idea that London would have to overpay for players, is completely false. London is a world class city. You would have no problem getting 22-30 yo men willing to relocate to London. Hell take a poll of the Americans (such as myself) on this website, I'm sure you'd find that there are plenty of us who would gladly move to London if requested to do so by our jobs.
_________________

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JaguarCrazy2832


Joined: 28 Jun 2008
Posts: 84223
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon Ducks wrote:
Jag fans should feel happy that their team is in the news.


Yes, thank you NFL for acknowledging our existence Rolling Eyes
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steadypimpin


Joined: 01 Jan 2009
Posts: 9821
Location: Rockville, Maryland
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Socraticsilence wrote:
Can we talk for a moment how monumentally dumb a London franchise would be on virtually every level from logistics (time difference alone makes this undoable) to legal issues (the London franchise couldn't have a salary cap legally) to free agency (it's good they'd have no cap since they'd have to overpay for players) to draw (I'm assuming Goodell would let them play games when they wanted to otherwise they would have to be on tape delay a lot for the home fans).
I can't speak to the legality of the salary cap in the UK (I'm inclined to believe there is a loop hole there) but the idea that London would have to overpay for players, is completely false. London is a world class city. You would have no problem getting 22-30 yo men willing to relocate to London. Hell take a poll of the Americans (such as myself) on this website, I'm sure you'd find that there are plenty of us who would gladly move to London if requested to do so by our jobs.
Not this guy. I love 'Merica!
_________________

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tikitiger


Joined: 22 Oct 2005
Posts: 4034
Location: Nanjing, China
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon Ducks wrote:
Jag fans should feel happy that their team is in the news.


Only for a potential Tebow Signing, a MJD fantasy update, or a couple home games in London! It's a rough life.
_________________
#4 South Carolina Gamecocks 11-2
We didn't make the BCS?

Jags | Sharks | Lakers | Giants
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheKillerNacho


Joined: 10 Feb 2008
Posts: 9957
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikitiger wrote:
Oregon Ducks wrote:
Jag fans should feel happy that their team is in the news.


Only for a potential Tebow Signing, a MJD fantasy update, or a couple home games in London! It's a rough life.


Laughing

The good (or bad) news is, if the Jags start winning again, most of these things should disappear.
_________________
With much cheese,

Nacho Simulation Football League
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Speedyg


Joined: 10 Jan 2011
Posts: 413
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mis-quoted info on how the Jaguars would play two home games in London: Immediately picked up by ESPN, NFL network, PFT, and other news sources and spreads like wild-fire.

Jaguars replacing current video boards, each larger than that in Dallas in a $64M joint renovation with the City of Jacksonville that will include fan interaction area, cabanas, pools, etc: No one talks about it



http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2013/6/19/4445950/jaguars-new-scoreboards
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iPwn


Global Moderator
Joined: 10 Oct 2009
Posts: 46854
Location: Warbortles Nation
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedyg wrote:
Mis-quoted info on how the Jaguars would play two home games in London: Immediately picked up by ESPN, NFL network, PFT, and other news sources and spreads like wild-fire.

Jaguars replacing current video boards, each larger than that in Dallas in a $64M joint renovation with the City of Jacksonville that will include fan interaction area, cabanas, pools, etc: No one talks about it



http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2013/6/19/4445950/jaguars-new-scoreboards
Shad is also looking into buying a ton of property/investing heavily in the city to help spur growth. That on top of everything that Shad has already done to show his dedication to the city, which I wrote a pretty extensive article about.

This whole area is going to be amazing. Best of all, it'll remove the tarps, while still retaining the ability for all the seats to go back for the Florida/Georgia game. Having no tarps will make the stadium look as full as it actually is and should help shut up those that continue to harp on the "empty stadium."

Oh, and those video boards are actually the biggest video boards in the world. And we're going to have two of them.
_________________

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group