Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Goodell: Jaguars could play two ''home'' games in London
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
nugpimpen


Joined: 18 Feb 2006
Posts: 18163
Location: 10 Miles South of Cleveland
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
KhanYouDigIt wrote:
RuskieTitan wrote:
Well that would be two games that the Jags can fill up an entire stadium.


1/10


2/8


lol
_________________

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iPwn


Moderator
Joined: 10 Oct 2009
Posts: 43099
Location: Drinking in a closet until the draft
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update: Hubbuch has gone on to completely discredit not only this story, but himself as a journalist. After providing the actual quote, posted yesterday in here that makes no mention of home games (though, as discussed, could appear to possibly mean home games if read a certain way) he's been arguing with fans all yesterday and is back at it today, and then just told me that he was reporting off the record comments from Goodell (or as he's seemingly claiming now was using "off the record" as a guise to get out of answering my question). When pointed out that is a no-no, he then made a comment that suggested that someone else said this and not Goodell, when he attributed it to Goodell and then backtracked on the comments of it being off the record. He's now claiming we should be worried because Goodell is going to ask, and that Khan can't say no, because it's neigh impossible to say no to the "most powerful comisssioner in professional sports," even though the only reason the Jaguars have any games there is because the Rams said no.

I don't even. This is really bad, and I think it's fair to say that this is a complete non-story as far as football goes.
_________________

The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
#JagsOnly
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Its A Sabotage


Moderator
Joined: 14 May 2010
Posts: 33446
Location: Do. Your. Job.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:

I don't even. This is really bad, and I think it's fair to say that this is a complete non-story as far as football goes.


No. It is the Jaguars and there has to be a story every off-season about us moving, this just makes the quota.
_________________

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PacAttack04


Joined: 26 Jul 2008
Posts: 3132
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason-la-canfora/22357154/london-calling-nfl-wants-uk-team-and-soon-jags-look-like-best-fit

I mean, Jaguar fans are bashing the guy, and yes, he may have not been completely accurate to the letter of the word with what he said, but where there's smoke, there usually is fire.

To those saying that the PR guy denied the report........ So what? PR guys lie and dney all the time. They try and frame stories. Do you think Goodell will risk losing the fan base of the Jaguars while they are still in Jacksonville by saying your team is moving, oh well? No one is going to remember if a PR guy denied that the NFL moving a team to London? No one is going to care if he denies it now. These are the same PR guys that said the NFL was working diligently to work out the refs lockout, yet we all knew that the NFL teams were backing down. Yet, does anyone care that these PR guys denies not doing all they can now? Of course not. Denying it now has no future bearing because no one will remember.

Clearly, these reports are talking to people and the ones they are talking to believe that the Jaguars are moving to London. Just because YOU yourself can't verify the story to your satisfaction doesn't mean that it's not true. Despite the fact that his claim "wasn't backed up enough," do you honestly think he just threw this story out there without a a decent source.

And to all the Jaguar fans that claim, "Oh, this is just the same old story that comes out every year." There's a really good reason this is the story that comes out every year. Clearly, the NFL is investing a lot of resources into making this an option. It doesn't even matter if its a home or away game. What matters is that clearly the NFL is targeting a specific team to play in London.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iPwn


Moderator
Joined: 10 Oct 2009
Posts: 43099
Location: Drinking in a closet until the draft
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PacAttack04 wrote:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason-la-canfora/22357154/london-calling-nfl-wants-uk-team-and-soon-jags-look-like-best-fit

I mean, Jaguar fans are bashing the guy, and yes, he may have not been completely accurate to the letter of the word with what he said, but where there's smoke, there usually is fire.
He hasn't just not been accurate, he has lied about what was said. He provided the quote, then when it was pointed out that it didn't say what he claimed that it did, he told me that it was an off the record comment (which means that he can't report it, even if it was said) then said that it wasn't and resorted to attacking my intellect. Me, a mod on this site (so we at least know I'm respectful), acting just as I do on here, was attacked for my queries, by a member of the media who was caught in a lie, and we're just supposed to trust that where there's smoke, there's fire because he said something? Nope.

Quote:
To those saying that the PR guy denied the report........ So what? PR guys lie and dney all the time. They try and frame stories. Do you think Goodell will risk losing the fan base of the Jaguars while they are still in Jacksonville by saying your team is moving, oh well? No one is going to remember if a PR guy denied that the NFL moving a team to London? No one is going to care if he denies it now. These are the same PR guys that said the NFL was working diligently to work out the refs lockout, yet we all knew that the NFL teams were backing down. Yet, does anyone care that these PR guys denies not doing all they can now? Of course not. Denying it now has no future bearing because no one will remember.
Then why would Goodell say it to begin with? Are we supposed to believe that Goodell slipped up with this mysterious quote that isn't even what it was claimed to be?

Quote:
Clearly, these reports are talking to people and the ones they are talking to believe that the Jaguars are moving to London. Just because YOU yourself can't verify the story to your satisfaction doesn't mean that it's not true. Despite the fact that his claim "wasn't backed up enough," do you honestly think he just threw this story out there without a a decent source.
Given how he has acted, his story changing constantly and his inability to provide any sort of source to the claim he's making? Yes, that's exactly what I think he did.

Quote:
And to all the Jaguar fans that claim, "Oh, this is just the same old story that comes out every year." There's a really good reason this is the story that comes out every year.
Yeah, it's called misconception. This same story keeps coming up because the state of Florida was crushed by the housing market collapse worse than any other state in 2009 and fans chose keeping their homes over buying tickets. It's further perpetuated by the tarps, which are only there because the Jaguars play in a stadium that doubles as a college stadium and therefore was built too big for the market. That's why it's a story. People had it drilled into their heads that the Jaguars weren't buying tickets, and when they turn on games, it appears that they still aren't because you see bare spots where the tarps are. Even with the tarps, we sell more tickets than 11 other teams and we fill our stadium percentagewise more than 10 other teams.

Quote:
Clearly, the NFL is investing a lot of resources into making this an option. It doesn't even matter if its a home or away game. What matters is that clearly the NFL is targeting a specific team to play in London.
The NFL isn't targeting anything or anyone. The Rams were signed up for four games and backed out the Jaguars stepped up to take those games. Because they're signed on for four games already, of course they would "likely ask Jacksonville to potentially play two games." Why wouldn't they ask the team that's already willing to play some games to play some more? It would be illogical to not ask. That doesn't mean that we have to accept though, whether those games be home or away games. They asked the Rams and they refused, we can do the same. And wrongly quoted report from a journalist that has lied about his source and attacked people inquiring is not going to make me believe that this is anything other than a non-story at this point.

Now, that doesn't mean that we won't either, but considering there is no evidence of it, it's nothing more than baseless speculation. At this point, it is everything that the Tebow to Jacksonville garbage was, but where there's smoke, there's fire, right?

And even further, playing two games there doesn't mean that we are looking to move there either. In fact, everything that has happened with this team suggests that we aren't moving and that the team is dedicated to building in Jacksonville.

Look at our new jerseys. Take a really good look at them. Look over the heart area. You'll notice something there that no other team in any sport has ever done before. We have this patch there. The patch is a United States Military inspired patch, which was put there as an ode to the city of Jacksonville's rich military history. Think for a minute how big of a slap in the face that it would be for the Jaguars to show love for the city and the US military only to jettison to Europe to set up a team the first chance they had. They would instantly become the most hated team in America, in any sport for spitting in the face of the military, and essentially telling everyone they were using the military as a ploy to pull at people's heartstrings and didn't really care about the city or the military history.

Then we can talk about the millions and millions of dollars of Khan's own money that is going into stadium renovation (which includes a near night club for a locker room and the league's biggest video board and a practice field bubble), and the stadium lease that locks the team in the stadium until 2030.

Shad Khan is either committed to staying in Jacksonville or the world's dumbest self made billionare.

It's a baseless, garbage report from a hack. That's it.
_________________

The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
#JagsOnly
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TomRalph


Joined: 03 Apr 2009
Posts: 7636
Location: Revis Island
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For one, if London gets an NFL team, it sure as hell won't be playing them at Wembley.

The international team plays football there, it is consistently used as a music venue as well as other concerts and gigs etc.

If this happens, a much smaller, NFL specific stadium will have to be built.

I can't envision the UK filling a stadium with 90,000 people every Sunday. I'd say a stadium with a 60,000 capacity would be built.
_________________

Legacyof52 wrote:
I would like to meet for some tea and crumpets over a Manchester United game. Maybe go all Green Street Hooligan on some cats.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kempes


Joined: 12 Sep 2009
Posts: 11719
Location: England
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomRalph wrote:
For one, if London gets an NFL team, it sure as hell won't be playing them at Wembley.

The international team plays football there, it is consistently used as a music venue as well as other concerts and gigs etc.

If this happens, a much smaller, NFL specific stadium will have to be built.

I can't envision the UK filling a stadium with 90,000 people every Sunday. I'd say a stadium with a 60,000 capacity would be built.


I don't think I can handle this. What if a team gets created in your home city in England but you're already a huge fan of an American team?

Laughing
_________________
"Never forget: This very moment, we can change our lives. There was never a moment, and never will be, when we are without the power to alter our destiny" - Stephen Pressfield
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TomRalph


Joined: 03 Apr 2009
Posts: 7636
Location: Revis Island
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kempes wrote:
TomRalph wrote:
For one, if London gets an NFL team, it sure as hell won't be playing them at Wembley.

The international team plays football there, it is consistently used as a music venue as well as other concerts and gigs etc.

If this happens, a much smaller, NFL specific stadium will have to be built.

I can't envision the UK filling a stadium with 90,000 people every Sunday. I'd say a stadium with a 60,000 capacity would be built.


I don't think I can handle this. What if a team gets created in your home city in England but you're already a huge fan of an American team?

Laughing


No chance I'm switching to the London Jaguars Laughing
_________________

Legacyof52 wrote:
I would like to meet for some tea and crumpets over a Manchester United game. Maybe go all Green Street Hooligan on some cats.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lomaxgr


Joined: 30 Dec 2006
Posts: 20850
Location: Manchester, England
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomRalph wrote:
Kempes wrote:
TomRalph wrote:
For one, if London gets an NFL team, it sure as hell won't be playing them at Wembley.

The international team plays football there, it is consistently used as a music venue as well as other concerts and gigs etc.

If this happens, a much smaller, NFL specific stadium will have to be built.

I can't envision the UK filling a stadium with 90,000 people every Sunday. I'd say a stadium with a 60,000 capacity would be built.


I don't think I can handle this. What if a team gets created in your home city in England but you're already a huge fan of an American team?

Laughing


No chance I'm switching to the London Jaguars Laughing


This is the main problem with any expansion/relocated team. I won't swap teams, even if a team is created in Manchester. Sure I might attend a few games, but only when I can get back and see the Broncos play.

If the team moved to London, I genuinely don't know if I would bother to go and see a game that wasn't against the Broncos. I have been to three of the games in Wembley; Dolphins-Giants, Saints-Chargers and 49ers-Broncos. The latter two I had a team to cheer for and the Dolphins-Giants game was the first ever one, so they had some meaning for me. But the atmosphere at the games is rubbish because a) the crowd is full of neutrals, b) the crowd is full of people who don't know the game and c) most Brits find American 'chants' very cheesy and not great for building an atmosphere.

I personally think Goodell is overselling the European market for a team to play full time in Europe. The novelty WOULD wear off with the hardcore fans, and they are the ones attending games at the moment.
_________________


MUFC OK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fretgod99


Global Moderator
Joined: 05 Aug 2005
Posts: 18782
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
it's neigh impossible to say no to the "most powerful comisssioner in professional sports," even though the only reason the Jaguars have any games there is because the Rams said no.
This would have been funnier were your team the Colts.

IDOG_det wrote:
titansNvolsR#1 wrote:
TomRalph wrote:
We give you Redneck Yankee-doodles Menelik Watson, Larence Okoye AND Luol Deng and you give us another Jags game in return?

Seems legit.
I won't let this go unnoticed. This was funny.
Is "Yankee-doodles" supposed to be offensive or something?
Originally, yeah. It was a shot at colonials. They eventually adopted the phrase, embracing it and sort of turning it around, taking the punch out of the slight. So the story goes, anyway.
_________________

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BaltimoreTerp


Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Posts: 27596
Location: Washington, DC
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn, just a general question: If I'm not mistaken, you're from upstate NY, right? And as far as I've seen, you don't have any ties to the Jacksonville area. So while I understand that much of your determination to get out in front of the 'Jags to London' thing has to do with a desire to... pwn... a theory and story you see as misguided, is there anything beyond that really makes you so personally outraged about the idea of the Jaguars moving to London (or anywhere else for that matter)? Would you stop supporting them if they did relocate, even to London? What difference does it make to you, someone who watches them on television and roots, presumably, more for the team than the city, whether they're playing in Jacksonville or London?

I'm honestly curious, not trying to be snide or anything along those lines. It's just somewhat interesting to me that the person who has, at least on these boards, been the biggest defender of Jacksonville's bonafides as an NFL market be someone who has no ties to the city itself (you can correct me if I'm wrong on that, of course).
_________________
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheKillerNacho


Joined: 10 Feb 2008
Posts: 9061
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
iPwn, just a general question: If I'm not mistaken, you're from upstate NY, right? And as far as I've seen, you don't have any ties to the Jacksonville area. So while I understand that much of your determination to get out in front of the 'Jags to London' thing has to do with a desire to... pwn... a theory and story you see as misguided, is there anything beyond that really makes you so personally outraged about the idea of the Jaguars moving to London (or anywhere else for that matter)? Would you stop supporting them if they did relocate, even to London? What difference does it make to you, someone who watches them on television and roots, presumably, more for the team than the city, whether they're playing in Jacksonville or London?

I'm honestly curious, not trying to be snide or anything along those lines. It's just somewhat interesting to me that the person who has, at least on these boards, been the biggest defender of Jacksonville's bonafides as an NFL market be someone who has no ties to the city itself (you can correct me if I'm wrong on that, of course).


I certainly can't speak for iPwn, but as a Dolphins fan from New Jersey, I would be upset if the Dolphins left Miami. I'm not really certain why, but part of the team's identity is the city they play in. It simply wouldn't be the Dolphins if they were playing in any other city. I'm sure it's a similar feeling for iPwn.

Of course, I'd probably still be inclined to root for the Dolphins if they move than native Miami fans, due to the fact I watch them exclusively via TV.
_________________
With much cheese,

Nacho Simulation Football League
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
nugpimpen


Joined: 18 Feb 2006
Posts: 18163
Location: 10 Miles South of Cleveland
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any of you Jag fans follow Laconfora on twitter, you have to be hating right now.

They are talking about eventually moving the Jags to London full time.
_________________

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
broncos67


Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Posts: 21146
Location: Capitol Cit-ay
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No team will ever move to London. The NFL should worry about a team in Mexico City or Toronto or something before they start going across the pond. Football is a very domestic sport, and the vast majority of citizens in other countries don't understand it, and many don't seem to care to. You can't just force feed another country a team and expect them to start throwing cash around like crazy. I actually think the NFL expects to go over there at some point and be bigger than soccer.

This is what Roger Goodell and the rest of the people in charge don't understand (and yes, I really believe this is true): I think they look at the demand for tickets now when there are 1 or 2 games and think it's translatable to an entire season. Right now, the away game is a novelty. It's something unique that Wembley hosts, and enough people in London and surrounding cities know enough about football to go see it when they have time. However, most if no like 90% of people in Europe are completely loyal to soccer and will remain that way. The popularity of a team will not consistently last in London, especially if tickets are expensive to the point where they are asking fans to choose between football and soccer.[/img]
_________________


Thanks, Tzimisce
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
McNabbMcFadden


Joined: 25 Feb 2007
Posts: 32966
Location: State College, PA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
KhanYouDigIt wrote:
RuskieTitan wrote:
Well that would be two games that the Jags can fill up an entire stadium.


1/10


2/8
Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group