Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dwyer way out of shape
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The team is going to carry 4-5 backs, and there aren't too many guys more talented than Dwyer. Does he compliment Bell, in terms of having an opposite running style? No, injuries happen and guys struggle and sometimes they have to come out of the game for a breather.

I think the coaches would have a short leash with Dwyer about his weight. Until I see an indication they are concerned, I don't think there's an issue right now.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
The team is going to carry 4-5 backs, and there aren't too many guys more talented than Dwyer. Does he compliment Bell, in terms of having an opposite running style? No, injuries happen and guys struggle and sometimes they have to come out of the game for a breather.

I think the coaches would have a short leash with Dwyer about his weight. Until I see an indication they are concerned, I don't think there's an issue right now.

I think we saw the concern when all our running backs got benched last season. Yes, it was due to fumbling, but the fact he showed up out of shape is just going to pile on top of that. Dwyer has one foot out of the door already. There is almost no chance he gets the starting job imo. They drafted Bell in the 2nd round for a reason. Even if he DOES make the roster, Redman and Dwyer won't be here for very much longer. I wouldn't be surprised to see us draft a mid round RB next season too.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the question is whether he is actually out of shape right now. The picture doesn't show it, and the coaches actions right now don't, either.
bigben07MVP

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
bigben07MVP wrote:
I feel as if you guys are taking this article a bit too seriously. it's the offseason, we're bored. What else is new? *grin* It seems you all have forgotten that Dwyer filled in pretty well last season when both Redman and Mendy were out and gave us two consecutive 100 yards games for the first time since 2008. that was a function of the run blocking at the time, which is why we had a run of about half a dozen games where EVERY RB looked good, regardless of who was there. He had a better season than Redman last year, and I'd go as far as saying he was the most productive back on the roster. that's like saying, "well, as far as poop goes, he didn't stink that much

I think it is very pre-mature to call Dwyer an "easy cut" when TC time comes around. We'll see what happens but I don't think one article in June will be enough to send JD packing.

Dwyer has been chastised for a lack of conditioning on multiple occasions by the head coach, and despite Tomlin DESPERATELY trying to hand him the starting job, he quit in multiple games last year, asking to be taken out.

When we drafted Le'Veon Bell in the 2nd this year, both Redman and Dwyer knew their jobs were on the line, what did they do?

Redman showed up in outstanding shape, and Dwyer, once again, showed up 15-20 lbs overweight, by his own admission

he. doesn't. care. Coach wants him in shape, and he simply doesn't care.

All I'm saying is the posters who think he's an "auto-cut" or has no chance to make the roster because he is a little over weight right now are being a little ridiculous.

Florida State Seminoles - Pittsburgh Steelers - Cleveland Cavaliers
wwhickok

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except they I haven't seen a single poster suggesting that the reason he will get cut is Solely Because he is fat and lazy.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
bigben07MVP

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
Except they I haven't seen a single poster suggesting that the reason he will get cut is Solely Because he is fat and lazy.

Laughing

Go back and read the first page of this thread.

wwhickok

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigben07MVP wrote:
wwhickok wrote:

Laughing

Go back and read the first page of this thread.

Touche'

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
kethnaab

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he *should* get cut because of his excessive laziness, but I'm not confident it'll happen
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigben07MVP wrote:
I feel as if you guys are taking this article a bit too seriously.

How?

We are taking it exactly for what it is....a report about a guy who has work ethic issues showing them once again.

Quote:
It seems you all have forgotten that Dwyer filled in pretty well last season when both Redman and Mendy were out and gave us two consecutive 100 yards games for the first time since 2008.

And it seems you have forgotten how terrible he looked towards the end of the season. The main reason for that is bad conditioning. He wore down.

Quote:
He had a better season than Redman last year, and I'd go as far as saying he was the most productive back on the roster.

Thats like finding the hottest girl at Fat Camp.

Isnt saying much.

Quote:
I think it is very pre-mature to call Dwyer an "easy cut" when TC time comes around. We'll see what happens but I don't think one article in June will be enough to send JD packing.

I am not saying he WILL be cut.

I am saying he SHOULD be cut.

I want players on the roster who want to be here and aspire to be the best. Dwyer, at most, seems content on swinging from the middle rung, and would rather stay lazy and fall off the rungs than work hard to reach the higher ones.

We arent overreacting. Lazy players like him hurt the locker room. We need passionate players....not bums who just want a paycheck.

That being said, [inappropriate/removed] is a hack. I wouldnt be shocked if he is completely exaggerating.
bigben07MVP

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hampton was known somewhat as a "lazy player" and showed up to camp over-weight and out of shape numerous times, just like Dwyer. Now obviously Hampton is a different person/player than Dwyer and played a completely different position but the Steelers kept giving Hampton chances and they will keep giving Dwyer chances if he continues to produce. Dwyer and Redman are our only two proven running backs and some (inluding me) would say that Dwyer is the best back on the roster right now. Yeah the fans and coaches should be pissed that he's not taking his professional job seriously and that is why we drafted a running back so highly but overweight or not, right now we are better with Dwyer on the team than without so I think he's safe for at least another season, unless Bell breaks out with an amazing training camp/pre-season.

FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigben07MVP wrote:
Hampton was known somewhat as a "lazy player" and showed up to camp over-weight and out of shape numerous times, just like Dwyer. Now obviously Hampton is a different person/player than Dwyer and played a completely different position but the Steelers kept giving Hampton chances and they will keep giving Dwyer chances if he continues to produce. Dwyer and Redman are our only two proven running backs and some (inluding me) would say that Dwyer is the best back on the roster right now. Yeah the fans and coaches should be pissed that he's not taking his professional job seriously and that is why we drafted a running back so highly but overweight or not, right now we are better with Dwyer on the team than without so I think he's safe for at least another season, unless Bell breaks out with an amazing training camp/pre-season.

The thing your forgetting in this case is that Hampton didnt do that his entire career. And by the time he did start showing up a bit overweight, he was already considered one of the best NTs in the game.

Dwyer, on the other hand, is a cusp player who doesnt seem to care about getting better. He isnt established in any way, and doesnt seem motivated to get better.

And I dont know how much better we are with him. He has talent, but as I stated, work ethic issues are going to keep him average at best.
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigben07MVP wrote:

Difference is that Dwyer was originally seen as a top 50 pick in his draft. He fell to round 6 and has done very little. Casey Hampton was a top-20 pick, a team MVP before, and was a multi-time Pro Bowler who was also widely considered the best at his position for quite a few years.
bigben07MVP

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
bigben07MVP wrote:

Difference is that Dwyer was originally seen as a top 50 pick in his draft. He fell to round 6 and has done very little. Casey Hampton was a top-20 pick, a team MVP before, and was a multi-time Pro Bowler who was also widely considered the best at his position for quite a few years.

me wrote:
Now obviously Hampton is a different person/player than Dwyer and played a completely different position...

kethnaab

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigben07MVP wrote:
Hampton was known somewhat as a "lazy player" and showed up to camp over-weight and out of shape numerous times, just like Dwyer.

you are comparing a NT to a RB. That your comparison is valid says all we need to know about Jonathan Dwyer
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigben07MVP wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:
bigben07MVP wrote:

me wrote:
Now obviously Hampton is a different person/player than Dwyer and played a completely different position...

Well, if you know that, then you should know your comparison was a pretty bad one.

Hampton was a proven great player.

Dwyer isnt guaranteed a roster spot and doesnt seem to care.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: