Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Looking Forward on Defense

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neauone

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Looking Forward on Defense Reply with quote

Lets face it, the Jets have done much to improve the defense the past 3 drafts. Now with the addition of Milliner and Richardson the Jets have injected themselves with youth and speed. I believe both Milliner and Richardson will do more than hold their own this year. I also believe that the Jets will be relevant and be in every game. I do believe if your going to beat these Jets you are going to have to go through a tough defense to do it. Granted, they may be lacking in the LB position (but not terribly), but this is a unit that is going to keep the games close and give the offense an opportunity to win the game within 21 points. I am an eternal optimist, and I believe the Jets can win 10 games this year. Likewise FA signings don't guarantee a thing unless it is a Manning or Brees signing etc. Given the fact that the only real threat is N.E., the same N.E. which may field injured T.E.'s or recovering T.E.'s much of Brady's game will be hampered. Not to mention the loss of Welker to Denver. This division could very well be up for grabs, Miami, the Bills, and N.E. all have issues. The Bill's have a new HC, new system, new QB, Miami has a million new players and a second year QB. So I don't see it being so difficult to believe that the Jets could be relevant this year. Of all the teams I have mentioned, the Jets by far has the better defense than them all, and it is defenses that win games. Yeah, I know its a passing league, but when it comes to crunch time, its defenses that win games. If there were no blackout in the S.B. the Raven's would have crushed the 49ers, the delay gave the 49ers new light and momentum switched.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defense win games when the offense don't turn over the ball and at least put up 14-17 points.

We had a solid defense, we just sucked when it came to causing turnovers. Hopefully our new front 7 bring pressure and stop the run. I want to see Cro get more INT's this season. He's deadly when he get the ball in his hands.

We have a lot of potential and question marks on our roster, so it's hard to tell how good we are against the other teams in the division. Unless our Front 7 is better than we think, I expect our FS & Milliner to get burned a lot this season. Demario Davis, Ellis/Garay, and Barnes will be the big factors on defense imo.

Quote:
It's not about the money, it's about sending a message. - The Joker
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't have good safeties and we saw what that translated to 2 years ago. I hope our front 7 can generate a pass rush because we could be in for a long season of getting burnt by TEs.

We also have an offense that is bringing back 2 injured WRs and we lost our top TE. Not to mention the 2 new guards, how will they gel.

This year I'm excited for our front 7 and Chris Ivory. If they play well then I think we set ourselves up well to move forward.
RollTide99

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think our Safties willn get burned this season but I expect our Run defense to improve tremendously as we got way more athletic in our Front 7, Coples will be the key factor for me this season

JMG on the sig
KingOfTheHill84

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets look at the youth on this defense

DE Muhammad Wilkerson
DE Quinton Coples
DE Sheldon Richardson
NT Kenrick Ellis
NT Damon Harrison
LB Demario Davis
LB Rick Sapp
LB Garrett McIntyre
CB Dee Milliner
CB Kyle Wilson
CB Ellis Lankster
S Antonio Allen
S Josh Bush
S Rontez Miles

now some of these guys aren't pro bowl players but as a unit they're stout together and with Rex coaching them they all improve

Add in a young edge rusher, a cover safety and another corner and the D becomes so versatile, fast and aggressive

smh, the offense is improving as well

[quote="Ring Worm Sherm"]Revis hasn't done jack since 09[/quote]Fly-A-Jet 2013 Jeremy Kerley
Rec:5 Yards:70 TDs:0 PR Average:7 ypa
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingOfTheHill84 wrote:

DE Muhammad Wilkerson
DE Quinton Coples
DE Sheldon Richardson
NT Kenrick Ellis
NT Damon Harrison
LB Demario Davis
LB Rick Sapp
LB Garrett McIntyre
CB Dee Milliner
CB Kyle Wilson
CB Ellis Lankster
S Antonio Allen
S Josh Bush
S Rontez Miles

now some of these guys aren't pro bowl players but as a unit they're stout together and with Rex coaching them they all improve

Add in a young edge rusher, a cover safety and another corner and the D becomes so versatile, fast and aggressive

I don't feel comfortable at all with those safeties and LBs at this point. I do expect Davis to play well this year but outside of him that is another potential issue if our young guys can't step up.
green24

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdelaney89 wrote:
KingOfTheHill84 wrote:

DE Muhammad Wilkerson
DE Quinton Coples
DE Sheldon Richardson
NT Kenrick Ellis
NT Damon Harrison
LB Demario Davis
LB Rick Sapp
LB Garrett McIntyre
CB Dee Milliner
CB Kyle Wilson
CB Ellis Lankster
S Antonio Allen
S Josh Bush
S Rontez Miles

I don't feel comfortable at all with those safeties and LBs at this point. I do expect Davis to play well this year but outside of him that is another potential issue if our young guys can't step up.

Coples will also be playing OLB for us. So that's two young linebackers who should play well this year.
KingOfTheHill84

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
rdelaney89 wrote:
KingOfTheHill84 wrote:

DE Muhammad Wilkerson
DE Quinton Coples
DE Sheldon Richardson
NT Kenrick Ellis
NT Damon Harrison
LB Demario Davis
LB Rick Sapp
LB Garrett McIntyre
CB Dee Milliner
CB Kyle Wilson
CB Ellis Lankster
S Antonio Allen
S Josh Bush
S Rontez Miles

Coples will also be playing OLB for us. So that's two young linebackers who should play well this year.

we gotta let guys grown instead of giving up on them

Antonio Allen and Josh Bush have a ton of potential and we have strong corners helping them with an improving front 7. Sure they're not Kam and Earl out in Seattle or Troy and Clark in Pitt but they have the best coaching and have skills we can utilize. Rontez Miles has potential hopefully he sticks around for a while

[quote="Ring Worm Sherm"]Revis hasn't done jack since 09[/quote]Fly-A-Jet 2013 Jeremy Kerley
Rec:5 Yards:70 TDs:0 PR Average:7 ypa
Jetsman82

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the offense can keep the defense off the field all the time, I think this defense could be really good.

There is finally some speed on defense. Sure, Harris and Landry aren't the fastest, but they're not terribly slow.

With Rex calling the shots on D, I expect them to keep us in games.
It has been quite a privileged chat or work with you guys. From time to time.. From Craziness to Serious-mindedness.. From Troll to Boredom.. From Babes to Jets. From Foreigner to American.. Whatever!
ekill08x

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think we'll be nearly as bad as its being anticipated. I like that our expectations are as low as possible this year. Were set up to play like we did in 2009. Ivory and Goodsen (if hes not out dealing heorin or hoarding AK47s) could be the best RB combo we've had since TJ and Greene in 09. Our line looks to be much improved with depth. Holmes healthy all year is key, and Hill HAS to improve. If we can get mediocre QB, we can win 8 games and build off that. I think we struggle though to start the year and we turn it up in the second half to have a respectable record.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingOfTheHill84 wrote:
green24 wrote:
rdelaney89 wrote:
KingOfTheHill84 wrote:

DE Muhammad Wilkerson
DE Quinton Coples
DE Sheldon Richardson
NT Kenrick Ellis
NT Damon Harrison
LB Demario Davis
LB Rick Sapp
LB Garrett McIntyre
CB Dee Milliner
CB Kyle Wilson
CB Ellis Lankster
S Antonio Allen
S Josh Bush
S Rontez Miles

we gotta let guys grown instead of giving up on them

Antonio Allen and Josh Bush have a ton of potential and we have strong corners helping them with an improving front 7. Sure they're not Kam and Earl out in Seattle or Troy and Clark in Pitt but they have the best coaching and have skills we can utilize. Rontez Miles has potential hopefully he sticks around for a while

Maybe I should clarify. I like that we have youth and I want our young guys to get as much playing time as possible but when I say I'm not confident I mean a lot of these guys are not proven and we got scorched 2 years ago with bad safety play. Our defense is still going to be our most exciting part of our team.
jetskid007

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
I dont think we'll be nearly as bad as its being anticipated. I like that our expectations are as low as possible this year. Were set up to play like we did in 2009. Ivory and Goodsen (if hes not out dealing heorin or hoarding AK47s) could be the best RB combo we've had since TJ and Greene in 09. Our line looks to be much improved with depth. Holmes healthy all year is key, and Hill HAS to improve. If we can get mediocre QB, we can win 8 games and build off that. I think we struggle though to start the year and we turn it up in the second half to have a respectable record.

Coming from you that's a huge endorsement Laughing
ekill is right on the money. My thing is, how can this team possibly be any worse than last year? If the offense can be somewhere in that 16-23 range, we should be good enough to win 7 games.

As for the defense... We have to acknowledge the fact that we lost Revis, but if we're just comparing to last years team (post Revis injury) I don't see how we didn't get better.

I think moving Coples to LB could make a huge impact for a number of reasons:

1. The run defense should be markedly better. Coples wasn't a great run defender lined up at the 5-tech last year, but what he did do was make a lot of splash plays against the run. In his new role I think he'll spend most of his time as the "Jack", essentially lined up on the weak-side, and should get more opportunities in the backfield. You also have to wonder if his impact as a run defender will improve simply because his blocking competition may be less competitive. As opposed to last year, Coples will line up outside the left tackle (or over the TE) rather than over the Guard, which should be an easier task against the run. Also, he now relies on the "guys in front of him" to occupy blockers in order to make a play on the RB. Let's not discount that Pace is a very solid run defender as well, and he'll likely see a lot of work with Coples on 1st and 2nd downs as the SLB.

2. From an athletic standpoint Coples is not the player that Mario Williams is, but I think he'll be used in the same pass rushing role that Williams had in 2011. I see Coples essentially being an additional RE that rushes from the 7-tech (either standing up or hand in the dirt). As we saw last year he's a power player with great initial quickness. As opposed to last year, Coples won't have to deal with double teams nearly as much and should get a lot of one-on-one opportunities. On 3rd downs, I think we're going to see some really interesting looks. I'm expecting a line that looks something like Coples-Richardson-Wilkerson-Antwan Barnes frequently. As long as Quinton's motor doesn't become an issue and Barnes plays to a level near where he's capable of, the pass rush will be light years better.

As for the other positions, I feel like the addition of Sheldon Richardson and loss of Mike DeVito nix out. I don't expect S-Rich to be the run defender that DeVito was immediately, but he's going to provide athleticism and pass rush potential that we never saw out of DeVito.

Lets face it, Sione was not himself last year and may not be ever again. If Kenrick Ellis can stay healthy, he should be able to play to Sione's level last year, if not better. I think adding Richardson will only help Ellis more because defenses will have a lot more to handle with Wilkerson, Richardson, and Coples.

Demario Davis in his 3rd year should be a nice upgrade over last years version of Bart Scott.

If we're talking Jets defense without Revis (weeks 3-16), then Dee Milliner is clearly a plus addition. We use so many corners that having really good #3's and #4's is a must. Most importantly, the added pass rush will likely make the corners that much better, so it's going to be an exciting unit to watch.

The one mystery hole in the lineup will be at safety. I think Dawan Landry will be able to fill the void that Yeremiah Bell is leaving, but who's going to step up and replace LaRon? Antonio Allen is likely going to be a box safety, forcing Dawan into more of the FS role. We'll see how this experiment works out.

New York Sack Exchange Redux
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetskid007 wrote:
ekill08x wrote:

Coming from you that's a huge endorsement Laughing
ekill is right on the money. My thing is, how can this team possibly be any worse than last year? If the offense can be somewhere in that 16-23 range, we should be good enough to win 7 games.

As for the defense... We have to acknowledge the fact that we lost Revis, but if we're just comparing to last years team (post Revis injury) I don't see how we didn't get better.

I think moving Coples to LB could make a huge impact for a number of reasons:

1. The run defense should be markedly better. Coples wasn't a great run defender lined up at the 5-tech last year, but what he did do was make a lot of splash plays against the run. In his new role I think he'll spend most of his time as the "Jack", essentially lined up on the weak-side, and should get more opportunities in the backfield. You also have to wonder if his impact as a run defender will improve simply because his blocking competition may be less competitive. As opposed to last year, Coples will line up outside the left tackle (or over the TE) rather than over the Guard, which should be an easier task against the run. Also, he now relies on the "guys in front of him" to occupy blockers in order to make a play on the RB. Let's not discount that Pace is a very solid run defender as well, and he'll likely see a lot of work with Coples on 1st and 2nd downs as the SLB.

2. From an athletic standpoint Coples is not the player that Mario Williams is, but I think he'll be used in the same pass rushing role that Williams had in 2011. I see Coples essentially being an additional RE that rushes from the 7-tech (either standing up or hand in the dirt). As we saw last year he's a power player with great initial quickness. As opposed to last year, Coples won't have to deal with double teams nearly as much and should get a lot of one-on-one opportunities. On 3rd downs, I think we're going to see some really interesting looks. I'm expecting a line that looks something like Coples-Richardson-Wilkerson-Antwan Barnes frequently. As long as Quinton's motor doesn't become an issue and Barnes plays to a level near where he's capable of, the pass rush will be light years better.

As for the other positions, I feel like the addition of Sheldon Richardson and loss of Mike DeVito nix out. I don't expect S-Rich to be the run defender that DeVito was immediately, but he's going to provide athleticism and pass rush potential that we never saw out of DeVito.

Lets face it, Sione was not himself last year and may not be ever again. If Kenrick Ellis can stay healthy, he should be able to play to Sione's level last year, if not better. I think adding Richardson will only help Ellis more because defenses will have a lot more to handle with Wilkerson, Richardson, and Coples.

Demario Davis in his 3rd year should be a nice upgrade over last years version of Bart Scott.

If we're talking Jets defense without Revis (weeks 3-16), then Dee Milliner is clearly a plus addition. We use so many corners that having really good #3's and #4's is a must. Most importantly, the added pass rush will likely make the corners that much better, so it's going to be an exciting unit to watch.

The one mystery hole in the lineup will be at safety. I think Dawan Landry will be able to fill the void that Yeremiah Bell is leaving, but who's going to step up and replace LaRon? Antonio Allen is likely going to be a box safety, forcing Dawan into more of the FS role. We'll see how this experiment works out.

Demario Davis is actually in his 2nd year but yea I agree with everything in your post. Safety is our one MAJOR question mark on D but if they can play semi respectable then I think we could have a top 5 unit. Minimum top 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: