Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sedrick Ellis to visit the Bears
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
G08 wrote:
I remember him being billed as a solid UT, I think he would fit in nicely here if he's healthy (and not too expensive).

Hell, if he has a career year it might make Hank Melton expendable Twisted Evil
Why is it people are looking to get rid of the best pass rushing DT in the conference?
Money and the realization that the talent gap between the best and others is not worth the pay differential between them. Fortunately, bad football contracts are not as fatal as in baseball but still must be avoided.
bears2308

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
G08 wrote:
I remember him being billed as a solid UT, I think he would fit in nicely here if he's healthy (and not too expensive).

Why is it people are looking to get rid of the best pass rushing DT in the conference?
Money and the realization that the talent gap between the best and others is not worth the pay differential between them. Fortunately, bad football contracts are not as fatal as in baseball but still must be avoided.

What?! Melton will deserve the contract he receives. He'll be the center piece of our defense for the next 7+ years.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bears2308 wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
G08 wrote:

What?! Melton will deserve the contract he receives. He'll be the center piece of our defense for the next 7+ years.
I'm beginning to think Al is Mike McCaskey, but he doesn't want to pay anybody.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bears2308 wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
G08 wrote:

That is an unwarranted assumption especially when the injury rate for big contract players is so bad.

Very few of these contracts are deserved. And I doubt if the Bears are going to lock themselves into a huge contract with Melton. It would not surprise me if he is franchised again. But even that may be too costly.

And I like the guy a lot.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
bears2308 wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
G08 wrote:

Throwing money away is fatal AND unnecessary with intelligent management. Look at the Patriots and Steelers they almost never chase their unrestricted FAs or sign them from other teams for huge money.

These teams locked down their QBs and do not place big contracts with the others. Of course, I am sure the Pats get a discount from the FAs they do sign, too.

Quite frankly I hate Free Agency and would sign none other than low priced ones, which seems to be the operative philosophy of Emery as well. It isn't as absurd in the NFL as in MLB but it is bad enough.

It is extremely difficult to know which FA is worth the money and requires massive luck to get it right. Luck has been something badly missed for the Bears.

I think George Halas has reincarnated in me since he was just as cheap.

Last edited by ChicagoAl on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
bears2308 wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
G08 wrote:

Throwing money away is fatal AND unnecessary with intelligent management. Look at the Patriots and Steelers they almost never chase their unrestricted FAs or sign them from other teams for huge money.

These teams locked down their QBs and do not place big contracts with the others. Of course, I am sure the Pats get a discount from the FAs they do sign, too.

Quite frankly I hate Free Agency and would sign none other than low priced ones, which seems to be the operative philosophy of Emery as well. It isn't as absurd in the NFL as in MLB but it is bad enough.

It is extremely difficult to know which FA is worth the money and requires massive luck to get it right. Luck has been something badly missed for the Bears.

Once again you remind us all that we should all be extremely thankful you are not in charge of the Bears.

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOGRIESE wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
bears2308 wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
G08 wrote:

Once again you remind us all that we should all be extremely thankful you are not in charge of the Bears.
Throwing money away never brings championships. Did the Ravens have any Big Money FAs, or the 49ers or any of the teams challenging for the championship? They have the same understanding that I do.
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
Throwing money away never brings championships. Did the Ravens have any Big Money FAs, or the 49ers or any of the teams challenging for the championship? They have the same understanding that I do.

Fortunately they dont....otherwise they would be screwed for a very long time. Not paying your best players because they may cost alot is just plain stupid. Especially when someone is as talented and young as Melton.

Sure they dont spend big money on the free agent market picking up veterans. But they dont let their important players walk the street. They pay them.

Like I was saying...GMs dont have the same understanding that you do thankfully for the rest of the league.

ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOGRIESE wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:

Fortunately they dont....otherwise they would be screwed for a very long time. Not paying your best players because they may cost alot is just plain stupid. Especially when someone is as talented and young as Melton.

Sure they dont spend big money on the free agent market picking up veterans. But they dont let their important players walk the street. They pay them.

Like I was saying...GMs dont have the same understanding that you do thankfully for the rest of the league.
I believe in using cost-benefit analysis in the NFL.

A guy being paid twice as much as the average better be producing at twice the rate of the average otherwise it is a bad deal for the club. These deals must be avoided at all costs and smart teams, like SF and NE and Baltimore do just that.

It actually is an advanced concept over the mentality of "pay 'em anything" which is predominant with many fans who have no skin in the game.
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:

A guy being paid twice as much as the average better be producing at twice the rate of the average otherwise it is a bad deal for the club. These deals must be avoided at all costs and smart teams, like SF and NE and Baltimore do just that.

It actually is an advanced concept over the mentality of "pay 'em anything" which is predominant with many fans who have no skin in the game.

You talk like the Bears are involved in plenty of deals that are screwing us right now. Thats not the case at all. Look at who we have negotiating these contracts and you'll understand why. So basically your entire argument is pointless.

ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOGRIESE wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:

You talk like the Bears are involved in plenty of deals that are screwing us right now. Thats not the case at all. Look at who we have negotiating these contracts and you'll understand why. So basically your entire argument is pointless.
Quite the contrary since I was not talking about what the Bears HAVE done but what they should not do. We are facing a big financial
problem with Peppers as it stands though. Has he been worth it so far? Perhaps, but the next two years will determine the ultimate benefit.

As I have said (and it is only a statement, not an argument which I can easily provide upon request) most of these huge contracts are ludicrous and only occasionally pay off for the team.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
We aren't talking about spending money on somebody else's FA (which is hit or miss, and more often miss) we are talking about spending money on your own FAs, which both the Ravens and 49ers have done plenty of. If Ozzie Newsome operated the way you seem to think he does, then Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Haloti Ngata, Anquan Boldin, and many others would have been out of Baltimore a long time ago. The 9ers possible best player, was signed as a FA about 5 years ago. They are also paying Frank Gore more per year than Matt Forte is getting. And I ask you how many championships have the Pats won since the traded Richard Seymour and elected not to resign Asante Samuel? Do you think the Pats are better or worse w/o Wes Welker? For all the love the "Patriot" way has gotten, they have as many championships as the Bears since 2004.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
We aren't talking about spending money on somebody else's FA (which is hit or miss, and more often miss) we are talking about spending money on your own FAs, which both the Ravens and 49ers have done plenty of. If Ozzie Newsome operated the way you seem to think he does, then Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Haloti Ngata, Anquan Boldin, and many others would have been out of Baltimore a long time ago. The 9ers possible best player, was signed as a FA about 5 years ago. They are also paying Frank Gore more per year than Matt Forte is getting. And I ask you how many championships have the Pats won since the traded Richard Seymour and elected not to resign Asante Samuel? Do you think the Pats are better or worse w/o Wes Welker? For all the love the "Patriot" way has gotten, they have as many championships as the Bears since 2004.

Joe Flacco would have been gone this offseason too.Thankfully Ozzie isnt dumb enough to operate like Al would.

ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
They have not spent on huge contracts. The Pats have won a lot more games than the Bears during that time and they have made the playoffs almost every year. And the Pats do not chase their FAs but let them go, collect a supplementary draft pick for their trouble and pick the guys up when they bust out elsewhere. What a system. Welker makes little difference with the Pats since they would just throw to someone else when he is not there.

Their problem is not offense but defense. They are right at the top of points scored year in year out.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOGRIESE wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:

Joe Flacco would have been gone this offseason too.Thankfully Ozzie isnt dumb enough to operate like Al would.
Anquan Bolden was not a FA and we will see how the Flacco deal works out. He is about the weakest link on that offense but has been good when it is critical so far. All it takes is one injured year to throw these contracts into the mistake zone.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: