Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Raiders fire PR director Zak Gilbert
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oakdb36

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20130602/SPORTS/130609930/1057/SPORTS0908?p=all&tc=pgall&tc=ar

Unfortunately, i can't disagree with this article. This firing isn't a huge deal on its own but it does tell us a lot about Mark Davis' mindset and what it tells me is he has no common sense. I'm now very worried about the nonsensical decision he could make whenever he feels like it.

This is exactly how I feel about the move. Yeah, the Trotter article must have been tough on Mark but that isn't just cause for firing your PR guy. Not only that, but the move is completely non-sensical as it creates bad press for your organization. And now since you fired your PR guy, (who was doing a great job by the way) you have no way to come back from this. 'Makes Mark Davis look like a twit' is the perfect description.

Yep

Quote:
I am told Mark had problems with how he was quoted. So, he fired Zak Gilbert. Please think about this. Mark agreed to an interview. Mark willingly spoke on the record. Mark didn't like how his quotes came out. Mark blamed the PR guy. Mark fired the PR guy for what Mark said.

Bizarre.

How true and ridiculous is this? You have to be utterly stupid to blame someone else for what you actually said in an interview.
raidr4life

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll say that if Mark Davis starts getting involved like his dad did, the Raiders will be in trouble. Al started off as a coach, he moved on to be a commissioner, and then an owner, for 40 years, he knew all there was to know about the game. Then, it passed him by and it wasn't graceful. An obsession with 40 times and an affinity for ridiculous contracts buried the Raiders around 2005. Mark never did anything like that. He just sat in the owners box and observed from a distance. The Raiders don't need another Al Davis. We don't need an egotistical owner with his hand in it. The Raiders just need a guy to sign the checks. I do think it is wrong for Mark to go behind RM's back, especially with all that McKenzie has done for the Raiders and fire his guy.
But I will say this. If you look at who is the most upset by the firing. It's the media. For a guy who allegedly had a great relationship with his players, none of them have commented. Not publicly or on social media sites. These are people who jump all over everything to tweet about. Just last night I saw Sio Moore and Brice Butler trying to convince D.J. Hayden to take them out to the movies. The only people who have really said anything are the people who benefited from Gilbert's work the most, the media.
So, the firing was done in a bad way, and certainly appears like an egotistical and impulsive move by a spoiled kid who didn't like the way the other kids on the playground talked about him, but... It's not quite as severe as people are making it look, it will have no repercussions on the field, and I think the media is just a little upset that they'll have to work harder to get stories about the Raiders.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raidr4life wrote:
I'll say that if Mark Davis starts getting involved like his dad did, the Raiders will be in trouble. Al started off as a coach, he moved on to be a commissioner, and then an owner, for 40 years, he knew all there was to know about the game. Then, it passed him by and it wasn't graceful. An obsession with 40 times and an affinity for ridiculous contracts buried the Raiders around 2005. Mark never did anything like that. He just sat in the owners box and observed from a distance. The Raiders don't need another Al Davis. We don't need an egotistical owner with his hand in it. The Raiders just need a guy to sign the checks. I do think it is wrong for Mark to go behind RM's back, especially with all that McKenzie has done for the Raiders and fire his guy.
But I will say this. If you look at who is the most upset by the firing. It's the media. For a guy who allegedly had a great relationship with his players, none of them have commented. Not publicly or on social media sites. These are people who jump all over everything to tweet about. Just last night I saw Sio Moore and Brice Butler trying to convince D.J. Hayden to take them out to the movies. The only people who have really said anything are the people who benefited from Gilbert's work the most, the media.
So, the firing was done in a bad way, and certainly appears like an egotistical and impulsive move by a spoiled kid who didn't like the way the other kids on the playground talked about him, but... It's not quite as severe as people are making it look, it will have no repercussions on the field, and I think the media is just a little upset that they'll have to work harder to get stories about the Raiders.

You're right the firing won't have much of an impact. The concern is is it a preview of things to come in more important aspects than PR.
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickButera wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
DOCLEW 28 wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
Summary: Mark is Tommy Boy.

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Did you eat paint chips when you were a kid?

Huh? Why? Confused

Classic Laughing Laughing Laughing

This isn't the way I feel. I'm suggesting that Mark is sensitive to the notion and that's how that particular paragraph comes across. However, I see you have reverted to your usual typical replies so I'll reply in kind so you can understand:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did I win?

I believe he was quoting the movie "Tommy Boy", and not attacking your position. Classic movie btw.

Thanks for making feel like the Brown Eye just when I was basking in my smugness. Damn!

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
Ro4DPoY

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has got to annoy Reggie to some extent, having complete control only to have one of your guys fired within a year of being hired should be irritating. I honestly thought this move was childish and can't stand the fact that Mark has any say on personnel moves whatsoever. I just hope we can find someone else to fill the position, couldn't imagine anyone wanting it after this bs.

Been wanting to do this for a while now. Let's see what happens.
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ro4DPoY wrote:
This has got to annoy Reggie to some extent, having complete control only to have one of your guys fired within a year of being hired should be irritating. I honestly thought this move was childish and can't stand the fact that Mark has any say on personnel moves whatsoever. I just hope we can find someone else to fill the position, couldn't imagine anyone wanting it after this bs.

I'm sure some Cal grad will be up for it, maybe Stanford.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakRaiders3828 wrote:
Ro4DPoY wrote:

I'm sure some Cal grad will be up for it, maybe Stanford.

USC*

CrapTakula wrote:
Cleveland steamer?

make sure you wash well.
ch8878

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raidr4life wrote:
Raiders like to keep things secret judging by all the media coming to Gilberts defense, something tells me maybe he was too close to the media and maybe ran his mouth about some things. Anyway there's always more to a story.

+1.5

Yep Raiders like to keep things hush hush, and allot of things kept getting leaked bet that is why he was let go.

Palmer trade, Flynn trade the list goes on and on of leaked info.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ch8878 wrote:
raidr4life wrote:
Raiders like to keep things secret judging by all the media coming to Gilberts defense, something tells me maybe he was too close to the media and maybe ran his mouth about some things. Anyway there's always more to a story.

+1.5

Yep Raiders like to keep things hush hush, and allot of things kept getting leaked bet that is why he was let go.

The source of the D J Hayden move on this very site???? Shocked Laughing
Raidin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything with the Raiders always got leaked.
ch8878

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darbsk wrote:
ch8878 wrote:
raidr4life wrote:

+1.5

The source of the D J Hayden move on this very site???? Shocked Laughing

Yep someone was chirping bet that is why he is no longer employed. Razz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
NickButera wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
DOCLEW 28 wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
Summary: Mark is Tommy Boy.

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Did you eat paint chips when you were a kid?

Huh? Why? Confused

Classic Laughing Laughing Laughing

This isn't the way I feel. I'm suggesting that Mark is sensitive to the notion and that's how that particular paragraph comes across. However, I see you have reverted to your usual typical replies so I'll reply in kind so you can understand:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did I win?

I believe he was quoting the movie "Tommy Boy", and not attacking your position. Classic movie btw.

Thanks for making feel like the Brown Eye just when I was basking in my smugness. Damn!

Laughing Wink It's all good. At least it wasn't this bad:

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Ro4DPoY

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--raiders-owner-mark-davis-puts-gm-staff-on-notice-with-firing-of-pr-head-014553646.html

Quote:
Again, I'm not endorsing this move, but I don't find Davis' frustration with Gilbert's approach all that surprising. How many times can a man stomach a Mantra that paints his Hall of Fame father as the root of all dysfunction – and McKenzie as the lone, beyond-reproach fixer – without reaching for the Pepto-Bismol? And the fact that the on-the-field product has been correspondingly abysmal does not help McKenzie's cause.

Thought this was some food for thought. In my Litigation class I kind of wandered off and stumbled upon this article. I certainly agree with some of the things he pointed out.

Been wanting to do this for a while now. Let's see what happens.
ch8878

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ro4DPoY wrote:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--raiders-owner-mark-davis-puts-gm-staff-on-notice-with-firing-of-pr-head-014553646.html

Quote:
Again, I'm not endorsing this move, but I don't find Davis' frustration with Gilbert's approach all that surprising. How many times can a man stomach a Mantra that paints his Hall of Fame father as the root of all dysfunction – and McKenzie as the lone, beyond-reproach fixer – without reaching for the Pepto-Bismol? And the fact that the on-the-field product has been correspondingly abysmal does not help McKenzie's cause.

Thought this was some food for thought. In my Litigation class I kind of wandered off and stumbled upon this article. I certainly agree with some of the things he pointed out.

Ya Michael Silver he claims to be a Raiders fan, but never puts out anything positive about the Raiders.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Silver is the freaking worst "reporter" i've ever heard of. How can you call yourself a reporter when all you're supposedly reporting about is the spin you want to put on things based on your bias. The BS he's spewing i can easily match. Let me get paid for this crap, would you? I'm sure FOX is hiring.

There's nothing this guy would like to see more than the Raiders and McKenzie failing but he doesn't even have the balls to say it because if they happen to succeed he has to keep himself a way to sidetrack out of his criticism. I'm at a lost for words with his kind.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: