Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Raiders fire PR director Zak Gilbert
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Raiders fire PR director Zak Gilbert Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000208416/article/oakland-raiders-fire-public-relations-director-zak-gilbert

Quote:
The San Francisco Chronicle cited team sources in saying Raiders owner Mark Davis was unhappy with a Sports Illustrated story, written in April by Jim Trotter, that portrayed general manager Reggie McKenzie favorably but was critical of the recent performance of Davis and his father, the late Al Davis.

Zak Gilbert wrote:
"I'd like to thank Mark Davis for the honor of serving the Raiders, and Reggie McKenzie for hiring me. I leave holding my chin up, knowing I dedicated every waking hour to promoting a positive image for our team. The co-workers in my Raiders family are extraordinary; the camaraderie we built was really special. Talking to Raiders fans on a weekly basis, I learned first-hand that their passion and loyalty is unmatched. I have great respect for the team's rich history and took seriously the role of preserving it. Although disappointed that I can't remain on the ride, I wish Reggie and Dennis Allen absolutely nothing but success in a bright future."

This guy was hired by Reggie and recently fired my Mark because he (Mark) apparently couldn't handle the truth.

_______ _______ _______ _______

Heres a quote from another article

Quote:
General manager Reggie McKenzie was portrayed as a man who inherited a pigsty, forced to tend to matters both minor (hiring a head groundskeeper, constructing a draft room, upgrading video equipment) and major (completely rebooting the team’s scouting and personnel departments, treating burns incurred in salary-cap hell).

Quote:
The Raiders reportedly dumped Gilbert because the SI piece — which surely now will attract more eyeballs — delved into not just the team’s struggles in recent years but why and how the downturn occurred. The guts of the story focused on positive strides made by McKenzie over the last year, but that apparently wasn’t enough to save Gilbert.

The Raiders shouldn’t run from the last decade. It’s a dark period that the organization can learn from. Firing the PR guy over a story anchored in facts makes it look like the team is trying to will the bad old days into the ether. That’s not happening.

_______ _______ _______ _______

I can't find the original article from Jim Trotter, but I'm sure it is very similar to the one posted by bitty in another thread that was written by Joel Corry.

Here's a link to an aricle that quotes Jim Trotters article though. The part about the field conditions and how the Raiders did not employ a full time groundskeeper is crazy.

http://www.jordoncooper.com/2013/06/excellent-jim-trotter-article-on-the-problems-of-the-oakland-raiders/

Quote:
If the choppy grass fields were hazardous to a 49-year-old such as himself, he thought, imagine the dangers for players. In the previous two seasons alone, running backs Darren McFadden and Marcel Reece, wideouts Jacoby Ford and Denarius Moore, defensive tackles Richard Seymour and Tommy Kelly and linebacker Rolando McClain had been hobbled by or missed significant time because of lower-body injuries.

When McKenzie asked who was responsible for the upkeep of the fields, which were riddled with dirt patches, the answer stunned him. The Raiders did not employ a full-time, on-site groundskeeper. Instead, the work was outsourced to a local company—astounding considering that the difference between the playoffs and a pink slip could easily come down to a turned ankle, a jammed toe, a tweaked knee or a pulled hamstring.

IDK, I found this interesting. Thoughts?

Last edited by OakRaiders3828 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost posted this earlier. I really don't have any strong opinions. Clearly, Mark is self-conscious enough to know he needs to hire quality people. My one take away is that I feel infinitely better about Mark hiring McKenzie without interviewing anyone else because he did so on the advice of his think tank made up of Wolf & Madden. In retrospect, why interview anyone else when you don't know what you looking/listening for anyways? Perhaps, Mark should have just let Wolf & Madden make the hire acting as a pseudo-search firm.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the PR guy is fired everytime something negative is written about the Raiders, the firing list will be a page long by 2014. Sounds like a stupid move. Maybe Mark Davis should understand what's going on instead of firing guys for actions he agreed to in the first place.
Raiiiiidersssss

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every single national media outlet is ripping this move. The media hates us again... just like old times Laughing
oakdb36

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raiiiiidersssss wrote:
Every single national media outlet is ripping this move. The media hates us again... just like old times Laughing

Yep, Mark Davis is getting bad PR for firing the PR guy because he thought he did a bad job. Can someone holds this guy's hand before he makes a complete fool of himself.
dawsonleery

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Davis is getting so much heat right now from this... But I am confused. Why was Zak Gilbert fired for something Jim Trotter wrote? what am I missing.
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1207435/1/index.htm

The Trotter story^^
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000208437/article/oakland-raiders-shouldnt-run-from-their-past

Quote:
The Oakland Raiders' reported decision to fire public relations director Zak Gilbert was a bad public relations move. It would help if they had their chief PR guy to clean up this mess. Unfortunately, he has been fired. The circle is vicious.

green24

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raiiiiidersssss wrote:

I know the feeling.

aceinthehouse wrote:
I'm so confident in the Skins this season (offensively), I think they challenge the Patriots scoring record.
Call it a hunch. Idea
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just not really too fond of Mark in general. Al is the legend who built the Raiders, Mark just happened to be born with a silver spoon up his you know what. He seems clueless when it comes to football, and apparently isn't too business savvy either.

I guess I can see both sides of this decision, but too me he just seems bitter and this is an emotion based decision.

This is an honest question, how much control does the PR director really have over this type of stuff?
Tamby

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakRaiders3828 wrote:

The Trotter story^^

This is quite a revealing story, there are some things in here that I don't understand how the media could have found out about, such as the meeting between Davis, McKenzie, and Madden and what they said.
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamby wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:

The Trotter story^^

This is quite a revealing story, there are some things in here that I don't understand how the media could have found out about, such as the meeting between Davis, McKenzie, and Madden and what they said.

Trotter followed McKenzie and the Raiders for a year I believe.
Jamethus92

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel bad for the guy. Mark is his father's son. I wonder how Reggie feels about it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet Gilbert promised something different to Mark about what would come of the story. In the end, who really cares.
dawsonleery

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the fact Mark Davis is going to give Reggie a full 5 years to turn things around. Hopefully that's true. Seems like a fair way to judge him. Doesn't sound like Mark Davis feels the same way about the coaching staff though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: