Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Currently 12 million, could we bring in one more guy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricAllen21

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryanTHEtrojan wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
raiderfan19 wrote:
Man Sedrick Ellis from the Dorsey and McFadden draft out of USC? Wjat happened with this dude? Is he really that bad that nobody picked him up?

Yes. He's awful.

I'm def not as knowledgeable about the intricacies of football as you guys but it was my understanding that they had Ellis playing a lot of nose tackle in their base 4-3 when he's clearly more suited to be a 3technique. I remember when he was at USC, they even had to add extra dumbells to the weight room because he was so strong; hence, why I believe they tried him at the nose. I even remember the Saints jumping the Bengals to take him, which then of course lead to Cincy drafting their own USC bust in Rivers. What Ellis always lacked though as a nose tackle was the bulk and the ability to eat up blockers the way a Vince Wilfork can clog up the middle. Matter of fact, Im pretty sure he was the antithesis of a run clogger since most teams ran right at him haha. A new situation I think can always help, especially since the Saints are transitioning to a 3-4, but I hope that IF he were to come here, he's not meant sub in for Sims, because I think that's a role he'd be set up to fail in. I would like to see him get a chance, although I admittedly am totally biased having seen him play at USC and being dominant. He's quick, strong, and a hard worker. Bringing in that type of body for a team throwing mud at the wall and seeing what sticks can't be a bad thing if it's for a reasonable deal.

I'm not a USC homer at all Go Fresno State... For the vet minimum, he would be worth the risk. He could always be cut if McGee or another UT make the roster. Like you said he was asked to be a star NT which he was not capable of, think Heyward Bey expectations as the number one. A UT rotation of

UT
Vance Walker, Sedrick Ellis
NT
Pat Sims, Christo

That in my opinion is a solid 2 deep defensive tackle rotation. Ellis is not old, or a cancer. Rotation of those players have plenty of potential, good mix of vets and youth
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not big on Ellis, but I wouldn't mind signing him for the vet minimum and seeing what happens in TC and preseason. We could always just cut him.

BigBillsFan13 wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Somewhere, RR strokes his mustache with pride
Among other things...
reyjrios

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant believe no one has mentioned John Abraham. He could come in and really fill a need overnight.

Too expensive for our blood?

The Nation will rise again. We are everywhere!
Raiiiiidersssss

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reyjrios wrote:
Cant believe no one has mentioned John Abraham. He could come in and really fill a need overnight.

I think so... I think he wants one more decent sized contract with a contender.
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reyjrios wrote:

The FO is still dealing with a razor thin margin under the salary cap this season. McKenzie has to be careful not to handcuff himself into a corner despite the fact it would seem that the Raiders have a "little" play money they aren't using.
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you talking about? Before we signed our rookies to their small deals, we had about $12M in cap room.

Raider X hooked me with the sig
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOCLEW 28 wrote:
What are you talking about? Before we signed our rookies to their small deals, we had about $12M in cap room.

Is $12M a lot?
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
raiderfan19 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
raiderfan19 wrote:
Man Sedrick Ellis from the Dorsey and McFadden draft out of USC? Wjat happened with this dude? Is he really that bad that nobody picked him up?

Yes. He's awful.

I remember that draft him and Dorsey were neck and neck as far as who's the top guy and they were both supposed to be the next best pass rushing 3 techs in the league. 12.5 sacks in 5 years though and half coming in one season. He sounds like our typical first round picks lol

That's probably why i wanted him in that draft. It still wouldn't hurt to bring him to camp. I can't say i followed the saints too closely but i'd guess he could provide ok depth. Allen is obviously familiar with him as well.

Exactly. He'll be cheap and it's not like we're stacked on our line anyway. I would welcome that move.... I would welcome any move on our porous, defensive line.

PM sig requests.
Dessie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTagg7754 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
raiderfan19 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
raiderfan19 wrote:

Yes. He's awful.

I remember that draft him and Dorsey were neck and neck as far as who's the top guy and they were both supposed to be the next best pass rushing 3 techs in the league. 12.5 sacks in 5 years though and half coming in one season. He sounds like our typical first round picks lol

That's probably why i wanted him in that draft. It still wouldn't hurt to bring him to camp. I can't say i followed the saints too closely but i'd guess he could provide ok depth. Allen is obviously familiar with him as well.

Exactly. He'll be cheap and it's not like we're stacked on our line anyway. I would welcome that move.... I would welcome any move on our porous, defensive line.

Confused Porous, have I missed something, have we been playing games recently?
#clueless
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dessie wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
raiderfan19 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
raiderfan19 wrote:

Yes. He's awful.

OK so by this post, we can conclude you're thinking more highly of our back-ups from last year and other team's back-ups. Now I acknowledge it is quite possible for them to be good but at this moment in time, they're nothing more than what they are; other team's back-ups.

PM sig requests.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTagg7754 wrote:
Dessie wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
raiderfan19 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
raiderfan19 wrote:

Yes. He's awful.

OK so by this post, we can conclude you're thinking more highly of our back-ups from last year and other team's back-ups. Now I acknowledge it is quite possible for them to be good but at this moment in time, they're nothing more than what they are; other team's back-ups.

I'd say its a reasonable assumption to make. Our DL was crap last year. Kelly didn't play very well and Seymour didn't play like at all. Bryant was decent to good. Bilukidi is still here. Adding Walker and Sims who were also decent to good should help a decent amount. Especially since they have discipline.

BigBillsFan13 wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Somewhere, RR strokes his mustache with pride
Among other things...
Tamby

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see us bringing in Abraham, if anything Andre Carter will be our starting RE.
raidr4life

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTagg7754 wrote:
Dessie wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
raiderfan19 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
raiderfan19 wrote:

Yes. He's awful.

Backups with starting experience that played well in there roles. It's funny how people wanted to keep Desmond Bryant to be the starter at UT when Vance Walker is his equivalent but at a much cheaper price.
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:
Dessie wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
raiderfan19 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
raiderfan19 wrote:

Yes. He's awful.

I'd say its a reasonable assumption to make. Our DL was crap last year. Kelly didn't play very well and Seymour didn't play like at all. Bryant was decent to good. Bilukidi is still here. Adding Walker and Sims who were also decent to good should help a decent amount. Especially since they have discipline.

I thing our DL is still crap. Maybe not as stinky of a pile but it's certainly still crap IMO. I like Sims, I like him a lot. I was talking about bringing him in since the off-season began. But I don't see Walker, Sims, Bilikudi, and Co really being an upgrade.

I dunno, I'm going in w/ low expectations. Maybe I'll get surprised.

PM sig requests.
raidr4life

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTagg7754 wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:
Dessie wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
raiderfan19 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
raiderfan19 wrote:

Yes. He's awful.

I thing our DL is still crap. Maybe not as stinky of a pile but it's certainly still crap IMO. I like Sims, I like him a lot. I was talking about bringing him in since the off-season began. But I don't see Walker, Sims, Bilikudi, and Co really being an upgrade.

I dunno, I'm going in w/ low expectations. Maybe I'll get surprised.
Well it seems to be a major upgrade against the run since Sims and Walker both play the run well and Sims is the big NT we all been begging for. Pass rush still remains to be seen, but Andre Cater came on at the end of last season and now is even healthier. Hunter should be better than Shaugnessy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: