Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Looking Ahead: Contract Extensions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
green24

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geno Atkins just signed a 5-year, $55 million contract extension with the Bengals. That should bring Wilkerson's price down a bit.
JMG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
Geno Atkins just signed a 5-year, $55 million contract extension with the Bengals. That should bring Wilkerson's price down a bit.
If we could get Wilkerson for ~8 million I would be very happy.

[]_[] Family
green24

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMG wrote:
green24 wrote:

That would be great, but I don't think we will. I would be happy with 10 million per.
JMG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
JMG wrote:
green24 wrote:

That would be great, but I don't think we will. I would be happy with 10 million per.
10 million is going to be a tough price to pay. I don't know if I would pay him 10 million. Maybe 9.

[]_[] Family
green24

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMG wrote:
green24 wrote:
JMG wrote:
green24 wrote:

10 million is going to be a tough price to pay. I don't know if I would pay him 10 million. Maybe 9.

Don't let the Atkins extension fool you. That was well below market value.

Ndamukong Suh: $12,700,400 AAV
Haloti Ngata: $12,131,000 AAV
Calais Campbell: $11,000,000 AAV
Gerald McCoy: $11,000,000 AAV
Ahtyba Rubin: $8,833,333 AAV
Darnell Dockett: $8,825,000 AAV
ekill08x

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
JMG wrote:
green24 wrote:
JMG wrote:
green24 wrote:

I'll pay 10 million for a guy who gets double digit sacks. Mo is a great 5-tech and a leader but 8-9 million tops for me. Until this defense proves it can make a stop with the game on the line, not a single player on it warrants a 10 million dollar contract.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
KingOfTheHill84

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
green24 wrote:
JMG wrote:
green24 wrote:
JMG wrote:
green24 wrote:

I'll pay 10 million for a guy who gets double digit sacks. Mo is a great 5-tech and a leader but 8-9 million tops for me. Until this defense proves it can make a stop with the game on the line, not a single player on it warrants a 10 million dollar contract.

the way the defense is coming together I think they all want to stick together and thus wont go Revis on us

[quote="Ring Worm Sherm"]Revis hasn't done jack since 09[/quote]Fly-A-Jet 2013 Jeremy Kerley
Rec:5 Yards:70 TDs:0 PR Average:7 ypa
teamorange

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
green24 wrote:
JMG wrote:
green24 wrote:
JMG wrote:
green24 wrote:

Mo's job isn't suppose to be getting double digit sacks. Justin Smith has been a top 3 3-4 DE for the past 3-5 years and he has never gotten to double digit sack mark. Calais Campbell has never gone over 10. These are players in the top of their position who has never done it. We are spoiled because JJ Watt have an all time great season but that is not and should not be Mo's barometer.

If we are to overpay on talent it should be young guys who are at the top of their position. Now I'm not saying that Mo is a 15 million a year player but if we give him 10 or a little bit more I have no problem with that. He still has 4 more years to get to his prime and another 6-8 more years at his peak before he starts to seriously decline.

Now I do have a problem with us giving decent size contracts to below average players (looking at Howard) or big contracts to aging players leaving their prime (Cro). Cro we should be looking to resign for around 6-8 million or 10 for a short contract (a year or two) and Howard we giving the vet min (which isn't it like a million and change?) maybe 2/2.5 million a year but nothing more. Kerley is a tricky one. What he does this year will greatly impact how much he gets, more than any player other than maybe Cro. If we gave him 6 I wouldn't be terribly upset, he should be making around 4/5 but 6 per year isn't terrible plus he has decent upside.

Care to offer some sort of insight instead of just being obnoxious? Rolling Eyes
I don't.

ekill08x

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamorange wrote:
ekill08x wrote:
green24 wrote:
JMG wrote:
green24 wrote:
JMG wrote:
green24 wrote:

Mo's job isn't suppose to be getting double digit sacks. Justin Smith has been a top 3 3-4 DE for the past 3-5 years and he has never gotten to double digit sack mark. Calais Campbell has never gone over 10. These are players in the top of their position who has never done it. We are spoiled because JJ Watt have an all time great season but that is not and should not be Mo's barometer.

If we are to overpay on talent it should be young guys who are at the top of their position. Now I'm not saying that Mo is a 15 million a year player but if we give him 10 or a little bit more I have no problem with that. He still has 4 more years to get to his prime and another 6-8 more years at his peak before he starts to seriously decline.

Now I do have a problem with us giving decent size contracts to below average players (looking at Howard) or big contracts to aging players leaving their prime (Cro). Cro we should be looking to resign for around 6-8 million or 10 for a short contract (a year or two) and Howard we giving the vet min (which isn't it like a million and change?) maybe 2/2.5 million a year but nothing more. Kerley is a tricky one. What he does this year will greatly impact how much he gets, more than any player other than maybe Cro. If we gave him 6 I wouldn't be terribly upset, he should be making around 4/5 but 6 per year isn't terrible plus he has decent upside.

Mos excellent and does exactly what we need him to as a 5-tech, but I just dont feel like we should be irresponsible with our money. I will say though that hes the closest thing we do have as a game changer on defense but we REALLY need that pure pass rusher. That player that opposing OC's need to prepare for each week.

green24

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
teamorange wrote:
ekill08x wrote:
green24 wrote:
JMG wrote:
green24 wrote:
JMG wrote:
green24 wrote:

Mos excellent and does exactly what we need him to as a 5-tech, but I just dont feel like we should be irresponsible with our money. I will say though that hes the closest thing we do have as a game changer on defense but we REALLY need that pure pass rusher. That player that opposing OC's need to prepare for each week.

It's not like giving Wilkerson 10-11 million would mean we can't afford to sign a top pass rusher. We could sign Wilkerson, sign Michael Johnson in free agency, and still have tons of money left over.
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Johnson at OLB? We are already potentially miscasting Coples at OLB.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetsfan4life51 wrote:
Michael Johnson at OLB? We are already potentially miscasting Coples at OLB.

Johnson played OLB for the Bengals a few years ago. He's not bad in coverage.
Jetsman82

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnson is more of a quick-twitch athlete than Coples. It's not crazy to think he could play OLB.
It has been quite a privileged chat or work with you guys. From time to time.. From Craziness to Serious-mindedness.. From Troll to Boredom.. From Babes to Jets. From Foreigner to American.. Whatever!
ekill08x

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
ekill08x wrote:
teamorange wrote:
ekill08x wrote:
green24 wrote:
JMG wrote:
green24 wrote:
JMG wrote:
green24 wrote:

It's not like giving Wilkerson 10-11 million would mean we can't afford to sign a top pass rusher. We could sign Wilkerson, sign Michael Johnson in free agency, and still have tons of money left over.

Ugh no thanks, thats exactly what I don't want to do. That would be another Calvin Pace type move. We need a LEGIT pass rushing OLB.

green24

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvin Pace had 14 sacks in 5 seasons before joining the Jets. Johnson had 11.5 sacks last season alone.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: