Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers hire former Jets, Browns Eric Mangini as O-Consultant

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Billy Spikes


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 39654
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: 49ers hire former Jets, Browns Eric Mangini as O-Consultant Reply with quote

Quote:
Eric Mangini is taking job as 49ers Senior Offensive Consultant. Sent from my iPhone


http://twitter.com/mortreport/statuses/340875905561931776

ESPN loses an analyst that actually doesn't suck, too bad.

Strange that he was hired as offensive consultant, he is a defensive minded coach.
_________________
#JDI
Official Roster Cutdowns Thread
All Time Top Ten Safeties Ranking
Tom Brady Tribute
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Psychlone


Joined: 15 Mar 2008
Posts: 3724
Location: Marin County, CA.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 49ers hire former Jets, Browns Eric Mangini as O-Consult Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
Quote:
Eric Mangini is taking job as 49ers Senior Offensive Consultant. Sent from my iPhone


http://twitter.com/mortreport/statuses/340875905561931776

ESPN loses an analyst that actually doesn't suck, too bad.

Strange that he was hired as offensive consultant, he is a defensive minded coach.
As an "offensive consultant"??? Thought he was a defensive guru... I guess a good coach is a good coach (just not a good head coach) so keep stockpiling the talent.
Edit: Looks like quick gun Billy edited his post before I got mine in ha ha...
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Billy Spikes


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 39654
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 49ers hire former Jets, Browns Eric Mangini as O-Consult Reply with quote

Psychlone wrote:
Edit: Looks like quick gun Billy edited his post before I got mine in ha ha...


I am pretty famous for that Laughing
_________________
#JDI
Official Roster Cutdowns Thread
All Time Top Ten Safeties Ranking
Tom Brady Tribute
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Psychlone


Joined: 15 Mar 2008
Posts: 3724
Location: Marin County, CA.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barrows:
Quote:
Mangini's role likely will be in offering defensive expertise - and a defensive perspective - to the offensive coaches. When former Nevada coach Chris Ault was shopping his services to the NFL as a consultant, for example, he found that most of the interest came not from offensive coaches wanting to know how to run Ault's famed "pistol" formation but from defensive coaches eager to figure out how to stop it.


http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/06/49ers-to-hire-mangini-as-offensive-consultant.html
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
J-ALL-DAY


Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 26624
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I read he could potentially take over for Fangio if he ever decides to take a HC position.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Forge


Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 6952
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Well, I read he could potentially take over for Fangio if he ever decides to take a HC position.


that was the PFT rumor initially; though i honestly don't think that will come up. i love Fangio, but it seems to me that teams are hiring offensive minds to be head coaches and not looking so much at the defensive guys. I think we definitely lose Roman after this year but I think Fangio will be around for a while.
_________________


Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xXFlyteXx


Joined: 14 Dec 2006
Posts: 388
Location: Sacramento Ca.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Well, I read he could potentially take over for Fangio if he ever decides to take a HC position.


that was the PFT rumor initially; though i honestly don't think that will come up. i love Fangio, but it seems to me that teams are hiring offensive minds to be head coaches and not looking so much at the defensive guys. I think we definitely lose Roman after this year but I think Fangio will be around for a while.


Also looking at the trend in the coach hiring dept. most coaches getting jobs right now are youngermore exciting peope.Jeff Fisher excluded teams are going after younger coaches and not recycling older coaches.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TD49


Joined: 27 Apr 2013
Posts: 37
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just too bad we couldn't get Ault to join us. We were never even interested in him as far as I could tell. Not sure why... Kinda funny that he goes with Alex though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Forge


Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 6952
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TD49 wrote:
Just too bad we couldn't get Ault to join us. We were never even interested in him as far as I could tell. Not sure why... Kinda funny that he goes with Alex though.


we just didn't need him. Our staff has incorporated our own version of the zone read into the offense and I think they are doing a very good job with it. I could have seen us potentially bring him on to work with the defense, but I think that we just had faith in our coaching staff as is and our defense to be able to stop it.
_________________


Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rudyZ


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 13181
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
TD49 wrote:
Just too bad we couldn't get Ault to join us. We were never even interested in him as far as I could tell. Not sure why... Kinda funny that he goes with Alex though.


we just didn't need him. Our staff has incorporated our own version of the zone read into the offense and I think they are doing a very good job with it. I could have seen us potentially bring him on to work with the defense, but I think that we just had faith in our coaching staff as is and our defense to be able to stop it.



Ault was probably looking for a situation. The Chiefs brought in a new staff, and there were a lot of jobs to go around. So Andy Reid probably reached out and tried to get as many good football mind to join him. When he reached out to Ault, Ault had the luxury of asking for conditions, which he probably got.

Our staff was pretty stacked as it was, and if anything, it probably allowed us to low-ball Mangini a little. Mangini gets to work on one of the premier coaching staff in the league and put that on his resume (and now add an offensive qualification to said resume). His stock will rise if we keep winning. It's not like head coaching the Browns, where your stock can pretty much only go down. Here, he doesn't have to take the blame for anything bad, and will get some credit if anything goes well. It's like me, hanging out with cool people. I'm cool by association (okay, we all know this isn't true... it's the other way around).
_________________


RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group