Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Gay filling in at safety

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Gay filling in at safety Reply with quote

Quote:
In his absence, veteran William Gay has gotten a lot of playing time in his vacant starting spot, opposite Cortez Allen. Gay also has practiced at Polamalu's safety position, which automatically improved the depth at safety. As far as Allen goes, don't worry about him replacing Keenan Lewis. The Steelers certainly aren't concerned, or they would have given Lewis an offer.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/steelers-otas-2013/2013/5/31/4382800/steelers-otas-depth-chart-safety-william-gay

In other news, Woods is getting second team snaps at NT. Mcclendon and Woods weigh in at 310 according to this article, while Taamu is pushing 350.
MOSteelers56

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People have been calling for Gay at Safety for as long as I can remember.

Ehh, not huge news but the depth can't hurt.

gopherwrestler makes sigs I wanna make sweet love to
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea. He's shown he's not that bad in zone coverage. He'll do fine in deep coverage when he's got the advantage space-wise.
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like everything I read in this topic. Good stuff guys.

I just read this:

http://nfl.si.com/2013/06/05/breakout-player-to-watch-cortez-allen/?xid=nl_siextra

NFL Sports illustrated predicts that Cortez Allen will have a breakout year for the Steelers defense.

Quote:
Allen opened the play (which you can watch here) lined up against A.J. Green, as he was for much of Pittsburgh’s Week 16 loss to the Bengals. Via Pro Football Focus, Green was targeted 10 times during that game while being covered by Allen, resulting in six catches, but just 60 yards and no touchdowns.

His pick, though, came on a pass intended for slot receiver Andrew Hawkins, who was lined up next to Green on this particular play. Allen dropped at the snap (as Troy Polamalu provided extra attention on Green), then made a read and jumped in front of Hawkins for the INT. It’s that quickness and playmaking that the Steelers believe Allen can provide on a regular basis in 2013, given the chance to play every down.

Though he did not start seeing an increase in his playing time until Taylor was injured late last season, Allen found himself matched up with Green, Anquan Boldin, Torrey Smith, Josh Gordon and Danario Alexander, among others, over his final four games. Injuries and a lack of depth limited Pittsburgh’s other options, but the coaching staff did not hesitate to trot Allen out against the opposition’s top receiving talent during games with playoff implications.

Despite being on the field for only about half the Steelers’ defensive snaps in 2012, Allen graded out as a top-20 cornerback on Pro Football Focus — one spot below Antonio Cromartie, who played at an extremely high level in Darrelle Revis’ absence. Allen also held QBs to a 68.5 passer rating on throws in his direction, per PFF, the 14th-best cornerback mark in football.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: