You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Conner Vernon Impressing at OTA's
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
holyghost

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ch8878 wrote:
Conner Vernon seems to be mentioned allot, and no need to cut Jacoby Ford seeing he'll be a free agent next year and can help on returns something none of the other WR's besides Cribbs can do.

I would say Brice Butler, and Juron Criner are the odd men out. Crying or Very sad

2 notes:

I think counting Cribbs as a WR when assuming cuts is inadequate. He is primarily a returner and even if he plays WR, I wouldn't say he's necessarily taking a WR slot away from someone else.
And, if they can contribute on special teams there's no reason all 7 guys shouldn't make the team. 7 guys meaning, Cribbs, Moore, Ford, Criner, Butler, Vernon, Streater. It's not impossible to have 7, but assume the last two are not really filling WR slots. They're filling special teams slots. If Vernon is getting mentioned by Allen, if he continues what he is doing it's a safe bet to say he will make the team. If he cannot play any STs, it only makes his path harder. Same goes for Criner and Butler. Playing special teams well helps all of them onto the roster.

In all honesty Ford is the guy I hope they would cut, but probably won't. It's just been a long time since he contributed.

We argue on and on, but reality is probably that one or two guys will be hurt at some point, so the cuts won't be nearly as hard as they are now.
NCOUGHMAN

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:
Vernon ran a 4.54 at his pro day, amendola ran a 4.58 and welker ran a 4.65. So I'm not sure why you used them as examples of speedy receivers and call vernon slow.

Careful. I suggested similarities in speed, size and playing style on here and was basically told I was only saying it cause he's white and that I was stereotyping. Laughing

well every player i support has swag Cool . Careful

3D glasses swag

Laughing . Careful.
btw i dont understand the 3d glasses thing must be a new generational thing.

Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101
Raiiiiidersssss

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCOUGHMAN wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:
Vernon ran a 4.54 at his pro day, amendola ran a 4.58 and welker ran a 4.65. So I'm not sure why you used them as examples of speedy receivers and call vernon slow.

Careful. I suggested similarities in speed, size and playing style on here and was basically told I was only saying it cause he's white and that I was stereotyping. Laughing

3D glasses swag

Laughing . Careful.

He said it was a joke with a BYU coach I believe. Still funny as hell haha. Wish we would have drafted him Sad
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:
If only he was faster. He's a really skilled WR, but he'll struggle to create seperation and won't offer much after the catch. It's gonna take a QB who really trusts himself to throw him passes in tight coverage.

You aren't the ACC leading WR against teams like Clemson and FSU without being able to separate and make plays.

Raider X hooked me with the sig
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOCLEW 28 wrote:
Darkness wrote:
If only he was faster. He's a really skilled WR, but he'll struggle to create seperation and won't offer much after the catch. It's gonna take a QB who really trusts himself to throw him passes in tight coverage.

You aren't the ACC leading WR against teams like Clemson and FSU without being able to separate and make plays.

So every WR that dominates his conference in college becomes an NFL success? I'm assuming Vernon was a league leader in the ACC or is just dominating the secondaries of those particular schools a benchmark of future success?

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
RaiderX

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
DOCLEW 28 wrote:
Darkness wrote:

So every WR that dominates his conference in college becomes an NFL success? I'm assuming Vernon was a league leader in the ACC or is just dominating the secondaries of those particular schools a benchmark of future success?

Not necessary to jump with that one. Of course he's not claiming he'll be a stud before he even hits the field. Its more predicated on what he can do without the top speed. It shows he finds ways to get open even against faster defenders. We'll have to see if he can do it at the next level but the guy will work his tail off. Even though there are plenty of players who carried over that type of success to the NFL that wasn't his point.

SaveourSonics wrote:
Yea, RaiderX wins. We can all just top acting like this is a matter of opinion. MY GOD.
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I'm saying is that he was the ACC career leader in receptions and yardage for a WR. So the claims about not being able to get separation are a bit premature. No college player is assured future NFL success. But to say that he will have trouble separating is just as premature as saying that he will be an All Pro.

Raider X hooked me with the sig
THE MAD STORK

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCOUGHMAN wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:

3D glasses swag

Laughing . Careful.

yeah those 3D glasses are hella dumb......i mean I could understand if he was wearing some glasses with no lens in them, now that would be cool. Wink

lol jp, I never understood the glasses with no lens either...
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOCLEW 28 wrote:
All I'm saying is that he was the ACC career leader in receptions and yardage for a WR. So the claims about not being able to get separation are a bit premature. No college player is assured future NFL success. But to say that he will have trouble separating is just as premature as saying that he will be an All Pro.

Former Duke WR, #5 in ACC receptions & Vernon's teammate Donovan Varner wrote:
Great system, Vernon! When you get to Canada I'll pick you up.

I was actually higher on Vernon until your perspective made me curious about the prospects of former ACC reception leaders.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
big_palooka

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vernon is going to be the overblown 'it' player in camp I see.

He went undrafted for a reason. Not saying he can't make the roster and offer something, but people penciling him in already is slightly laughable.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Vernon is going to be the overblown 'it' player in camp I see.

He went undrafted for a reason. Not saying he can't make the roster and offer something, but people penciling him in already is slightly laughable.

It's not really laughable to say he has a shot at a roster full of young, mostly unproven or injury prone WR's. Not laughable at all really. Undrafted players make it all the time. Guys get drafted that were slotted to go undrafted, and guys slotted to go undrafted get drafted (like Butler, for example). Guys got drafted ahead of Vernon who didn't have anywhere near his production but for some reason seemed like they had more potential, or a higher ceiling. Maybe it's pro day numbers, or what not, but on tape Vernon is more impressive than quite a number of WR's drafted ahead of him.

Can I ask why reason Kevin Dorsey out of Maryland was drafted, and Vernon was not? Dorsey had a whopping 18 catches this past year.

Even Brice Butler. Sure he is bigger and a little faster than Vernon. But I don't think there's anything else that he does better on tape. Vernon had almost as many catches during his freshman year as Butler had his whole career.
raiderfan19

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude sounds like Criner last year and seems like every year we have a wideout who stands out in shorts. Can we get one that's good in pads and produces beyond year 2 is the real question.

S\O Palooka on the sig
oakdb36

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raiderfan19 wrote:
Dude sounds like Criner last year and seems like every year we have a wideout who stands out in shorts. Can we get one that's good in pads and produces beyond year 2 is the real question.

If one can stay healthy and we keep the same system and QB for 2 years, it might happen.
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
raiderfan19 wrote:

If one can stay healthy and we keep the same system and QB for 2 years, it might happen.

lol pretty much.

I still think Criner breaks out this year. I think he came in last year in the doghouse because of his contract situation, but the guy has everything you look for in a WR. He was an exceptional redzone target in college, has great body control and jump ball ability, runs good routes, has good size etc...Also had 31 TD's in his collegiate career. If he gets on the field I think he will make things happen, he would've been a higher draft pick if not for his 40 time. I remember a ton of people saying we got a steal in the 6th last year.
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
raiderfan19 wrote:

LOL. True. True. It is frustrating . . . . .

Bonez wrote:

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: