Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

A Closer Look at the Roster - Defense
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
KC_Guy


Joined: 07 Jan 2008
Posts: 7232
Location: Brussels, Belgium
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: A Closer Look at the Roster - Defense Reply with quote

Part 2 of my roster evaluation - Defense this time.

Defensive Linemen

DE - DeVito, Bailey
NT - Poe, Toribio, Powe
DE - T. Jackson, XXXX

The overall picture here will heavily depend on the defensive system. From what we hear the Chiefs' posture will be much more aggressive - so pass rushing ability will be a fairly new factor for the DEs. Barring a huge surprise I consider the first team set - Bailey's role is something to watch: will he break out of the doghouse the former regime put him in? Toribio is obviously taking snaps at DE as well - so there's a chance he moves outside or comes in for the Nickel package. I've heard the name Lohr as someone to watch.

My overall take: With the exception of DeVito replacing Dorsey we have last year's crew returning. However, the system change will have a heavy impact. I think the personnel available is ok, especially if Jackson continues to improve. How they adjust to the new system will determine whether they will succeed or not.

Wild Cards: Lohr

Linebackers

WOLB - Hali, Jones
WILB - D. Johnson, XXXX
SILB - Jordan, N. Johnson
SOLB - Houston, XXXX

Wild Card: Martin

Huge shake-up here at the back end of the depth chart. Hali, D. Johnson, and Houston provide the same core as last year, with the SILB still in limbo. However, whether it's Jordan or the other Johnson - at least on paper it looks like an improvement. The two open backup slot are WIDE open, none of the other guys on the roster left an impression elsewhere before. While the departure of Studebaker clearly was a cap move, the release of Greenwood may backfire over the season. A name I heard mentioned in various places is Martin as an option on the outside.

My overall take: Again a strong starting group with suspect depth behind them in at least two positions. Wouildn't be surprised if another veteran back-up is brought in.

Cornerbacks

CB - S. Smith, Robinson
NB - XXXX
CB - Flowers, Brown

Wild Card: Commings

Now this is an interesting group. With Robinson, Smith, and Flowers they have three staring caliber CB available - and obviously are experimenting how to line them up in three CB packages. The departure of arenas deprived the Chiefs of a dedicated slot man - and other than the three depth appears more than shaky. Brown did not convince me last year - however, he's probably the #4 if Commings stays at Safety. Anyone else is an absolute unknown for me.

My overall take: Other than the three starters a weak group. Let's pray noone gets injured. It's probably a good thing for UDFA DBs to be on the Chiefs' roster this year.

Safeties

FS - Lewis, Commings
SS - Berry, XXXX

Wild Card: Commings

Similar to the Cornerback situation the Chiefs seem to have a starting solution at hand while the situation at depth is completely up in the air. Questionable veterans (Abdullah, Demps) are competing with last year's UDFA (Hartman, Thorpe) and a bunch of new unknowns. Commings taking snaps primarily at FS may be an indication that the brass sees the S situation even shakier than CB.

My overall take: Hope the starters remain healthy. Similar to the CB squad this situation provides a good chance for an UDFA to make the team.


Summary:

On defense, especially at DB, the current situation is much more fluid than on offense. Depth is a critical issue there unless some of the no-names really step up. Looking at the other players on the roster more than one UDFA may have a chance to make the last 53. On the other hand I would not be surprised if the Chiefs make some roster moves between OTA and camp and bring in another veteran or two.

Final remarks:

Above I assigned 24 slots to the defense. With 24 slots assigned to offense and 3 for special teams that leaves the Chiefs with 2 slots to play around with. Special teams capability, injury concerns, and waiver wire considerations (remember the Lilja case?) may determine how the Chiefs use them. An eighth OL, a fifth RB or an additional DB (someone like Thorpe or Hartman who are no longer PS eligible) would be my guess.
_________________
Be it known that this day, January 4, be known as Reid Friday from now until ... well, as long as it lasts ...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
jimmydee


Joined: 22 Jan 2008
Posts: 1848
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job, Pard, and I think your spot on with the lack of depth, OR lack of performance which may show itself in a new system. I think Reid/Sutton is setting this D up to be a more attacking D and in that case, moving folks around to create packages and confusing looks may serve them well. Wink

All indications are that the guys love the new attitude and schemes, and are ready to lay their ears back and get it. And yes, I think we'll see a vet or two brought in for a security blanket type thing.
_________________
season ticket holder from 1977-92. Personal friends with many retired chiefs. Great times.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ArrowheadRage58


Joined: 31 Aug 2011
Posts: 4352
Location: Hate for the Donkeys is at a mile high
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking back...another failure of the previous regime was drafting Bailey to play in a scheme that didn't fit his skills (and Poe for that matter) Did they have any clue as to what direction they were heading or ever talk things through...it seems as though they were all chickens with their heads cut off, just aimlessly walking around with their own agendas, weather it was candy wrappers, bending not breaking, tinkering with the PS, inventing their own preseason theory, hell bent on either himself or a nobody calling plays, making sure only 1 QB had a chance, drafting WR's without first having a QB that can use them, using PS WR's because the proven guy "may or may not" know the playbook, going for the bargain at CB, etc...

I'm confused on your take that losing Greenwood could hurt us...he looked awful replacing DJ in games last year. Jordan/Johnson loser is a big upgrade for depth. I agree CB depth could be an issue with Arenas gone, still despise that move. The concern for S depth is unfounded...Lewis or Commings will start, the other will backup and Demps/Abdullah is plenty good for #4.
_________________
49ers Finest wrote:

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
starbarkc


Joined: 30 Dec 2008
Posts: 743
Location: Austin, TX
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmydee wrote:
All indications are that the guys love the new attitude and schemes, and are ready to lay their ears back and get it. And yes, I think we'll see a vet or two brought in for a security blanket type thing.


I agree and as KC_Guy states, the various scheme changes will be a difference maker. I am excited about the D as much as the O, it should be more complex and allow more opportunity to be had. It may be a risk/reward situation with all of the blitzing they will be doing, but we have the starters in the secondary to make it work. The really interesting part will be how they work the packages to take advantage of the versatility of guys like Poe, DJ, and Berry. That and how the various positions break down in terms of adjusting to the system will determine how those last few roster spots are filled IMO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
onejayhawk


Joined: 14 Apr 2006
Posts: 5686
Location: Waco, Tx
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
Looking back...another failure of the previous regime was drafting Bailey to play in a scheme that didn't fit his skills (and Poe for that matter) Did they have any clue as to what direction they were heading or ever talk things through...it seems as though they were all chickens with their heads cut off, just aimlessly walking around with their own agendas, weather it was candy wrappers, bending not breaking, tinkering with the PS, inventing their own preseason theory, hell bent on either himself or a nobody calling plays, making sure only 1 QB had a chance, drafting WR's without first having a QB that can use them, using PS WR's because the proven guy "may or may not" know the playbook, going for the bargain at CB, etc...

I could not disagree more. Bailey was an uncoached, indeed coaching resistant player, which is the only reason he was available in round three. Other teams should be indicted for passing him. Great pick. Poe played very well. One of the things we liked about him was the positional flexibility. DE is a tough position to learn.

Last year, the whole team did a meltdown. There seems to be the perception that the defense was mediocre and overworked. True they were overworked, but we had a very good defense that played badly. Other than attitude, there is not a lot to fix.

J
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
ArrowheadRage58


Joined: 31 Aug 2011
Posts: 4352
Location: Hate for the Donkeys is at a mile high
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm...not sure what to make of that. Poe is awesome and I always liked the pick. But Bailey and to a lesser extent Poe, would never reach their potential in Romeo's scheme. Can't wait to see what both of them can do in an attacking system.
_________________
49ers Finest wrote:

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
onejayhawk


Joined: 14 Apr 2006
Posts: 5686
Location: Waco, Tx
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
hmmm...not sure what to make of that. Poe is awesome and I always liked the pick. But Bailey and to a lesser extent Poe, would never reach their potential in Romeo's scheme. Can't wait to see what both of them can do in an attacking system.

You said , " failure of the previous regime was drafting Bailey to play in a scheme that didn't fit his skills (and Poe for that matter.)." That equates the Poe pick to the Bailey pick, which you called a failure. We can agree that Bailey was not expected to penetrate.

J
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
KC_Guy


Joined: 07 Jan 2008
Posts: 7232
Location: Brussels, Belgium
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously the Chiefs share my concerns wrt depth at DB - so they brought in three try-out CB for mini-camp: Vince Agnew, LeQuan Lewis and Akwasi Owusu-Ansah. Obviously they ran with the no. 2s ...
_________________
Be it known that this day, January 4, be known as Reid Friday from now until ... well, as long as it lasts ...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Arrowhead86


Joined: 07 Dec 2004
Posts: 4338
Location: Kansas City
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this section:

FS - Lewis, Commings
SS - Berry, XXXX

I really liked Hartman there last year late in the season. I thought he made solid contributions as a rookie and with his size, could be that other option for an in the box safety so Berry can centerfield it a bit more. We need Berry to get more chances to use his ball skills and instincts! Something we didnt get to see nearly enough last year till later on when Gibbs took over and Hartman got more duty.
_________________
Throw to score! Run to win!
2014 Adopt-A-Chief: #29 Eric Berry, S
Tackles:14/Assists:1/TFL:0/Sacks:0/FF:0/FR:0/PD:1/INT:0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
onejayhawk


Joined: 14 Apr 2006
Posts: 5686
Location: Waco, Tx
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have a feel for the nickel package? I also wonder how much we will see of Poe at DE. Toribio is a fine technician at NT. so sliding Poe outside allows us to use his unreal quickness.

Also, will we go to a standard nickel or a big nickel? Commings blurs the line here, since he projects to either.

J
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
bigschmadt00


Moderator
Joined: 17 Dec 2008
Posts: 10897
Location: 500 miles East of Sack City!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onejayhawk wrote:
Does anyone have a feel for the nickel package? I also wonder how much we will see of Poe at DE. Toribio is a fine technician at NT. so sliding Poe outside allows us to use his unreal quickness.

Also, will we go to a standard nickel or a big nickel? Commings blurs the line here, since he projects to either.

J

The position battle for #2 CB drives this some, but I'd guess Dunta covers the slot in nickel with Flowers and Smith on the outside. Devito will take the bench most times.

The question is will we use a big nickel with a Jack safety. If so I could definitely see Commings or Abdullah (sp) coming in.

There are lots of interesting position battles to watch. Preseason is at its best either under a new regime or a new QB. We've got both. I'm pumped to see what unfolds
_________________

^ryknowssd on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
onejayhawk


Joined: 14 Apr 2006
Posts: 5686
Location: Waco, Tx
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
onejayhawk wrote:
Does anyone have a feel for the nickel package? I also wonder how much we will see of Poe at DE. Toribio is a fine technician at NT. so sliding Poe outside allows us to use his unreal quickness.

Also, will we go to a standard nickel or a big nickel? Commings blurs the line here, since he projects to either.

J

The position battle for #2 CB drives this some, but I'd guess Dunta covers the slot in nickel with Flowers and Smith on the outside. Devito will take the bench most times.

The question is will we use a big nickel with a Jack safety. If so I could definitely see Commings or Abdullah (sp) coming in.

There are lots of interesting position battles to watch. Preseason is at its best either under a new regime or a new QB. We've got both. I'm pumped to see what unfolds

I would not be surprised to see the veteran CB do a lot of match up work, rather than a clear cut 1 and 2.

If you had the choice, would you make Berry the Jack safety in the big nickel? Berry is is very close to the current NFL ideal for jack safety. the question is whether that is the best use of his skills. The answer rests in the other two safeties.

I wonder what Bailey winds up doing, since he has that awesome first step. I could see him developing in the the other nickel DE. DL often take a while to figure things out. Poe is, but the physical tools drive the bus.

J
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
KC_Guy


Joined: 07 Jan 2008
Posts: 7232
Location: Brussels, Belgium
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I read about the OTA, in the base defense it will be Flowers and Smith at CB. In Nickel Smith and Robinson will man the outside while Flowers moves to the slot.
_________________
Be it known that this day, January 4, be known as Reid Friday from now until ... well, as long as it lasts ...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Da_Zou13


Joined: 09 Jan 2008
Posts: 2618
Location: Columbia
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I heard a little while back that Flowers would be play the nickel when we go with that package. Smith and Robinson would play the outside while Berry and Lewis/Commings plays safety. This makes sense to be because slot receivers are usually smaller, quick types and Flowers matches up much better against them. Also, Flowers' run support will make him even better for the position.

For example, against Denver, Flowers will line up against Welker while Smith and Robinson match up against the bigger guys on the outside. Smith vs D.Thomas will be a fun matchup to watch.
_________________

Props to LOTO on the sig.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
onejayhawk


Joined: 14 Apr 2006
Posts: 5686
Location: Waco, Tx
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC_Guy wrote:
From what I read about the OTA, in the base defense it will be Flowers and Smith at CB. In Nickel Smith and Robinson will man the outside while Flowers moves to the slot.

That makes excellent sense.

J
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group