Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Runningback Competition
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtdowner

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: The Runningback Competition Reply with quote

Ryan Williams said himself that he was scared to run the ball last year after coming back from 2011's season ending injury. Will he display the running skills we all thought he was capable of? What about Rashard Mendenhall? Will he return to his former self? He will still only be 26 by the time the season starts...

Then there's the rookie's..Stepfan Taylor has quite a bit of mileage on his tires but he appears to have the potential to be a consistent 4 yard gainer. Don't forget about Andre Ellington, he's got the quickness/shiftiness to turn a play into a 20+ yarder anytime he touches the ball. And though maybe not quite a natural runner, he looks fantastic catching the ball on passing plays.

So who do you guys think gets the bulk of the carries and how do you see those carries turning out? What about the other guys? What kind of impact will they have? Didn't mention Smith or Powell but feel free to mention them if you think they will contribute on offense.
love2theOLINE

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know arians likes Williams but his comments are very concerning. With no FB, we could carry more RBs on the roster.

thanks to sandwhich on the sig
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are likely to not hear anything on RB's until much later in the offseason. Training Camp, Preseason. When the teams can go full contact. That will start to separate the running backs.

I think Williams and Ellington will come out looking the best. I am not a big fan of Mendenhall.
mtdowner

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

love2theOLINE wrote:
I know arians likes Williams but his comments are very concerning. With no FB, we could carry more RBs on the roster.

What were his comments?
mtdowner

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
We are likely to not hear anything on RB's until much later in the offseason. Training Camp, Preseason. When the teams can go full contact. That will start to separate the running backs.

I think Williams and Ellington will come out looking the best. I am not a big fan of Mendenhall.

I really hope Williams pans out this season. I was really disappointed with how he ran last year. He seams to be able to do everything Taylor can do and much more. I like Ellington's big play ability and think he could be an excellent change of pace back to Williams.

What don't you like about Mendenhall? When I think of him I always think of his last game at Syracuse (Rose bowl?) when he single handedly destroyed USC's defense.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtdowner wrote:
khodder wrote:

I really hope Williams pans out this season. I was really disappointed with how he ran last year. He seams to be able to do everything Taylor can do and much more. I like Ellington's big play ability and think he could be an excellent change of pace back to Williams.

What don't you like about Mendenhall? When I think of him I always think of his last game at Syracuse (Rose bowl?) when he single handedly destroyed USC's defense.

He dances behind the LOS far too much, he does not hit the hole hard seems hesitant behind the LOS. Not a make you miss runner. Only ever going to be as good as his offensive line.
mtdowner

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
mtdowner wrote:
khodder wrote:

He dances behind the LOS far too much, he does not hit the hole hard seems hesitant behind the LOS. Not a make you miss runner. Only ever going to be as good as his offensive line.

Well, if Williams can't get his confidence back then Mendenhall might be able to succeed behind this improved o-line. I really like what we are going to have in the run blocking department on the left side with Levi and Cooper.

In another thread you said you envisioned Palmer throwing 600+ passes this season. Palmer has never done this before in his career but Luck did it last year under Arians. Do you think Arians will ignore the run game despite our improvements along the o-line? The fact he took two running backs in the draft might lead me to believe he will be looking for a more balanced approach.

And Mendenhall went to Illinois not Syracuse. I mix up the orange teams...
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re 600 passes from Palmer; It is Arians and the way he likes to do his business. Not so much in a pass the ball 600 times way, but in a run/pass split way; He has hung around the mid-high 50's in terms of percentage of pass plays vs runs plays.

He will try to run the ball, but he is cut from exactly the same cloth as Ken Whisenhunt schematically speaking. He wants to challenge the intermediate level of the field in the air. He was to attack that 15-20 yard window on defense. Force the defense to keep two safeties back and the run the ball vs consistent 7 man fronts.

Passing the ball 600 times does not preclude you from running the ball 400 either.

Arizona last year ran 1018 offensive plays. I can just see us being behind in games this season that will force us to throw the football.
mtdowner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
Re 600 passes from Palmer; It is Arians and the way he likes to do his business. Not so much in a pass the ball 600 times way, but in a run/pass split way; He has hung around the mid-high 50's in terms of percentage of pass plays vs runs plays.

He will try to run the ball, but he is cut from exactly the same cloth as Ken Whisenhunt schematically speaking. He wants to challenge the intermediate level of the field in the air. He was to attack that 15-20 yard window on defense. Force the defense to keep two safeties back and the run the ball vs consistent 7 man fronts.

Passing the ball 600 times does not preclude you from running the ball 400 either.

Arizona last year ran 1018 offensive plays. I can just see us being behind in games this season that will force us to throw the football.

Thanks for the insight. I think Carson Palmer fits that playing style perfectly. I'm sure he will throw a lot of picks simply due to the high volume of throws. But he's definitely a throw the ball downfield type of QB.

Here's another question for anyone to answer. Will we have a 1,000 yard rusher this season?
mtdowner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BA said there's "no doubt" Mendenhall will be the week 1 starter at RB.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtdowner wrote:

Which is something I don't agree with, at all.

Make him prove himself in camp and the preseason. It is not a position like Quarterback where you have a guy who needs to be installed as the starter at this stage of the season to hit the ground running.

Every other spot on this team should be a competition. Make him earn it, don't just hand him the job, especially when the guy has not had a good season since 2009.
mtdowner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
mtdowner wrote:

Make him prove himself in camp and the preseason. It is not a position like Quarterback where you have a guy who needs to be installed as the starter at this stage of the season to hit the ground running.

Every other spot on this team should be a competition. Make him earn it, don't just hand him the job, especially when the guy has not had a good season since 2009.

I slightly misspoke. BA said "no doubt" he was the no. 1 back, not week 1 starter. So it is possible for other guys to come in and compete for that spot.

BA cited Mendenhall taking the Steelers to the Super Bowl as his reasoning for being the no. 1 back. But Mendenhall did run for almost 1,300 yds in 2010 and still ran for 4.1 YPC with 9 td's in 2011.
love2theOLINE

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtdowner wrote:
khodder wrote:
mtdowner wrote:

I slightly misspoke. BA said "no doubt" he was the no. 1 back, not week 1 starter. So it is possible for other guys to come in and compete for that spot.

BA cited Mendenhall taking the Steelers to the Super Bowl as his reasoning for being the no. 1 back. But Mendenhall did run for almost 1,300 yds in 2010 and still ran for 4.1 YPC with 9 td's in 2011.

I heard the interview this morning as well, in Mendenhall's favor is that he has played in an Arians system before. And at the Fanfest it is my understanding he was a key piece to the goal line, I was dealing with the bay so I couldn't see it.

That all said with faith in Mendenhall,he is on a 1 year deal, we drafted 2 backs, and of course Arians said he liked Ryan Williams when he got here to AZ.

Lot of battles in camp this year.

thanks to sandwhich on the sig
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At RB right now I would say, "It is an open competition, no clear leader right now, all five will get reps with the first team in camp and carries in preseason. One of these guys needs to stand up and take this job by the scruff of the neck, the best player will play. We have five backs that we think can carry the ball with success in the regular season."

Ryan Williams has a lot to prove.
Mendenhall is on a one year deal and is coming back from injury
We have two rookies that we really like.
William Powell looked like a competent runner behind a crap heap of an offensive line in 2012.

We can almost afford to play situational football with our backs. This year is do or die for Williams, I really hope he sticks, I love the kid.

What we do have is a lot of young blood, 5 backs, Mendenhall is the eldest.
Bloodlustt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mendenhall has way more experience than any of the other RBs. He has been to the Superbowl and with his familiarity with BAs system... it should be obvious who the starter is unless one of the other backs can really shine in the preseason. But again preseason success doesn't mean they will be great in the regular season. Unless Mendenhall is just terrible I think the job is his to lose.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: