Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lions sign former Jags 2-time Pro-Bowl FB Montell Owens
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Lions sign former Jags 2-time Pro-Bowl FB Montell Owens Reply with quote

Quote:
Source: #Lions sign veteran RB Montell Owens (5-10, 219). Started 4 games with Jacksonville last year (42 carries, 209 yards, 5.0 avg, TD).

http://twitter.com/ttwentyman/statuses/340133946786463745
Tom Brady Tribute
WillParks

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should give our special teams a real shot in the arm. He is a two-time pro-bowl selection for special teams. This is one more indication that he lions might have a problem with Mikel Leshoure.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillParks wrote:
This is one more indication that he lions might have a problem with Mikel Leshoure.

Huh?
TheROARisBACK

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillParks wrote:
This should give our special teams a real shot in the arm. He is a two-time pro-bowl selection for special teams. This is one more indication that he lions might have a problem with Mikel Leshoure.

At this point, if he latches on the team through-out camp, he is pretty much ST only and possibly push Shaun Chapas or Riddick. I don't see this move having much to do with LeShoure.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how signing a special teams ace has anything to do with LeShoure.

Why do you think it does?

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
WillParks

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my conspiracy theory:

Even though our run-blocking was pretty shabby last year Leshoure didn't show a whole lot of explosion when he did get to the second level. There were times when Joique Bell simply out-played Leshoure. He was fighting ankle injuries last year and now he has a hamstring problem that I keeping him out of OTAs. We signed Reggie Bush, drafted Theo Riddick and just signed Montell Owens.

I am not sure what the concern is with the RB position but we have made some significant addition. I heard Reggie Bush was promised starters reps when he signed. That leaves Bell, Owens, Leshoure and Riddick to fight for the other positions. Owens is a lock to make the roster as a special teams player. Bell proved last year he is a pretty solid role player that can help out in the running and passing game.

That leaves Leshoure and Riddick. As I recall, there were some character concerns about Leshoure when he was drafted. He had the Achilles injury, ankle problems last year and now he has a hamstring problem. He is a big RB but is nicked up a lot. Riddick is projected as a RB that is versatile enough to play as a slot receiver or be a change-of-pace RB. Maybe it is due to durability concerns or other character concerns but the Lions seem to be
positioning themselves to move on without Leshoure.

In my opinion, it looks like Leshoure doesn't have a role in our offense that can't be filled by other players who are staying healthy and are more versatile.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillParks wrote:

Even though our run-blocking was pretty shabby last year Leshoure didn't show a whole lot of explosion when he did get to the second level. There were times when Joique Bell simply out-played Leshoure. He was fighting ankle injuries last year and now he has a hamstring problem that I keeping him out of OTAs. We signed Reggie Bush, drafted Theo Riddick and just signed Montell Owens.

I am not sure what the concern is with the RB position but we have made some significant addition. I heard Reggie Bush was promised starters reps when he signed. That leaves Bell, Owens, Leshoure and Riddick to fight for the other positions. Owens is a lock to make the roster as a special teams player. Bell proved last year he is a pretty solid role player that can help out in the running and passing game.

That leaves Leshoure and Riddick. As I recall, there were some character concerns about Leshoure when he was drafted. He had the Achilles injury, ankle problems last year and now he has a hamstring problem. He is a big RB but is nicked up a lot. Riddick is projected as a RB that is versatile enough to play as a slot receiver or be a change-of-pace RB. Maybe it is due to durability concerns or other character concerns but the Lions seem to be

In my opinion, it looks like Leshoure doesn't have a role in our offense that can't be filled by other players who are staying healthy and are more versatile.

Fair enough, it will be interesting to see it play out. You just never know you may be right.

It's hard to know what they're thinking in regards to Leshoure's character but he did get arrested last year.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillParks wrote:

LeShoure's spot is most guaranteed behind Bush IMO. Well ahead of a ST player and a waiver claim.

Pretty much Bush, LeDhoure and Bell are guaranteed this year IMO, leaving the others to battle out what is left.
1King

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
WillParks wrote:

LeShoure's spot is most guaranteed behind Bush IMO. Well ahead of a ST player and a waiver claim.

Pretty much Bush, LeDhoure and Bell are guaranteed this year IMO, leaving the others to battle out what is left.

I agree.

Bush is obviously a lock.

LeShoure and Bell aren't locks like Bush, but are pretty safe.

Riddick is a 7th round pick and Owens is a waiver guy.

Going off of last year's roster at RB:

LeShoure = LeShoure
Bell = Bell
Bush = Best
Riddick = Logan

And Owens is a FB.

I'd expect Bush to be the starting RB. Bell and LeShoure to battle for the #2 spot, with the loser being #3. Riddick, if he makes the team, to be the 4th back/return guy/slot WR insurance and special team coverage guy. If Owens makes the team it will be as FB and special team guy.

El ramster wrote:
1king showing why he's one the best posters in this site.

candyman93 wrote:
1king is showing why he's awesome

TEAM STYLISH
DrRay11

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1King wrote:

Going off of last year's roster at RB:

LeShoure = LeShoure
Bell = Bell
Bush = Best
Riddick = Logan

And Owens is a FB.

I'd expect Bush to be the starting RB. Bell and LeShoure to battle for the #2 spot, with the loser being #3. Riddick, if he makes the team, to be the 4th back/return guy/slot WR insurance and special team coverage guy. If Owens makes the team it will be as FB and special team guy.

Absolutely agree. That being said, Bush is a huge upgrade over an inactive Best and I expect Riddick to be much better than Logan at everything, so I'm pretty excited for the RB group this year.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is Montell Owens considered to be a fullback? I have seen him listed between 219lbs and 225lbs. He was a pro bowl special team coverage guy not a returner as far as I know. He also apparently performed well when pressed into duty after MJD went down. Like I said before, it looks like the Lions are prepared to move on with one of their RBs and Leshoure is the one who isn't staying healthy and isn't as versatile as the other players.
TheROARisBACK

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillParks wrote:
How is Montell Owens considered to be a fullback? I have seen him listed between 219lbs and 225lbs. He was a pro bowl special team coverage guy not a returner as far as I know. He also apparently performed well when pressed into duty after MJD went down. Like I said before, it looks like the Lions are prepared to move on with one of their RBs and Leshoure is the one who isn't staying healthy and isn't as versatile as the other players.

He mostly played FB (along with ST) with the Jags as he was their 4th RB option mostly every year he's been there. Despite his size he surprisingly played well there.
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillParks wrote:

It looks like you are reaching a great deal to push LeShoure off the team without any indication from the Lions themselves.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillParks wrote:

Huh?

LeShoure had one very unfortunate injury that he is probably just now getting to 100% from. That's it. He has stayed healthy otherwise.

And the Lions traded up, into the 2rd for him. Outside a Titus Young like implosion, it is pretty safe to say the Lions feel he is talented enough @RB to stick to the roster at least until the end of his first contract to see if that talent shows itself once healthy and used to the game speed. Young players get more than a single year to prove themselves when as talented as LeShoure. Heck, he was a projected late 1rd pick. An immediate starter. We aren't talking about ST fodder here.

Owens would get dropped again before the Lions let LeShoure go. I am confident in that.
Jrugges

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Friend wrote:
WillParks wrote:

It looks like you are reaching a great deal to push LeShoure off the team without any indication from the Lions themselves.

I agree, reaching very hard for no real reason. Everyone wants to point how versatile these other runners are but... Leshoure is still the 2nd best runner at RB we have so I really don't see him losing his job, I just don't. Riddick/Bell/Chapas/Owens aren't better runners than Leshoure.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: