Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dolphins to gain more cap space

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Dolphins to gain more cap space Reply with quote

Quote:
Miami Dolphins: The Dolphins released inside linebackers Karlos Dansby and Kevin Burnett with "post-June 1" releases and, as a result, will pick up $10.4 million in cap space on June 2.

Quote:

The Dolphins are currently $7.249 million under their adjusted cap number of $128.223 million and have four picks in the first three rounds of the 2013 NFL draft to sign before training camp.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/ten-nfl-teams-gain-2013-cap-space-june-230504549.html

Essentially, after signing the rookies, the Dolphins should still have about 12 million or so of cap space. There will be dead money next year to the tune of about 3.75 million, but we should have sufficient space to absorb that.

What do you think they will do with that space? My thinking is Reshard Jones gets his extension, but I wouldn't be disappointed to see Brandon Albert still land in Miami. A long shot I know, but we could/should have the cap space to do it.
WaterBear56

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamar Taylor already signed. A significant portion will go to Dion Jordan. I can see us keeping the cap for the season in case we need a mid season signing or for some rollover. If anything, a Reshad Jones extension. Certainly not Brandon Albert.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Reshad Jones performs well through the 1st few games (like he did last season) he will get his extension. Other then that the money should be rolled over to lessen the cap hit of Wallace next off-season (17 Million I believe). Albert was no longer in play once the team signed Clabo.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Dolphins to gain more cap space Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
Quote:
Miami Dolphins: The Dolphins released inside linebackers Karlos Dansby and Kevin Burnett with "post-June 1" releases and, as a result, will pick up $10.4 million in cap space on June 2.

Quote:

The Dolphins are currently $7.249 million under their adjusted cap number of $128.223 million and have four picks in the first three rounds of the 2013 NFL draft to sign before training camp.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/ten-nfl-teams-gain-2013-cap-space-june-230504549.html

Essentially, after signing the rookies, the Dolphins should still have about 12 million or so of cap space. There will be dead money next year to the tune of about 3.75 million, but we should have sufficient space to absorb that.

What do you think they will do with that space? My thinking is Reshard Jones gets his extension, but I wouldn't be disappointed to see Brandon Albert still land in Miami. A long shot I know, but we could/should have the cap space to do it.

Not sure about Albert but I bet we do resign Reshad Jones.

UniversalAuthor
freak_of_nature

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either extending Jones or using it for Wallace. I think they planned it that way.
SUG

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong here so somebody correct me otherwise but ...

Could we just as easily front load Deion Jordans contract with that cash & start setting ourselves up for 1 - 2 or 3 yrs down the road worth of other lg contract "wiggle room" ?

sug
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roll it over to next season is what I am hoping for.
SUG

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfan4life wrote:
Roll it over to next season is what I am hoping for.

I'm all good with that as long as a portion of that doesn't end up in the "use it or loose " category. Not really 100% clear on that.

sug
cddolphin

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signing Reshad Jones to a contract extension now or mid season would be cheaper than waiting until the offseason.
green4gulf

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like everyone else, I'd be happy to see Jones get extended or roll the money over, but unlike everyone else I'd also be happy if we used it to bring in Albert.

I understand we have Clabo and that Martin got stronger ( / rolls eyes ) . That doesn't mean you don't still try to upgrade your team if you can, and I believe Albert would be a significant upgrade at LT.
Phinsnation84

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MORE MONEY! Laughing

Olivier Vernon
2014 Stats: 1 SACK 3 TCKLs 0 FF
Dolphin Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resigning Starks or Soliai wouldn't surprise me at all. Ireland has got to be eyeing that DT position before he is painted into a corner next year.

frankmoore wrote:
The hero doesn't always ride off into the sunset with the girl, sometimes he ends up on the wrong end of the lightsaber.
Phinsnation84

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolphin Dave wrote:
Resigning Starks or Soliai wouldn't surprise me at all. Ireland has got to be eyeing that DT position before he is painted into a corner next year.

I disagree. Both will be 30 next year and each will probably be fighting for 1 spot with Odrick or a new player fighting for the other DT spot

Olivier Vernon
2014 Stats: 1 SACK 3 TCKLs 0 FF
green4gulf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read that the Bears traded Carimi to the Bucs for a 6th round pick.

I wouldn't have minded giving up a 6th for him to see if he could work in as an OG.

Would have cost us just over 1 mil in cap , although we still would have had some nice space left for resigning a keeper or two.
Maddogg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green4gulf wrote:
Just read that the Bears traded Carimi to the Bucs for a 6th round pick.

I wouldn't have minded giving up a 6th for him to see if he could work in as an OG.

Would have cost us just over 1 mil in cap , although we still would have had some nice space left for resigning a keeper or two.

His value dropped with the knee injury and trouble with pass protection at tackle. He is a good run blocker. Probably didn't help that he missed the Bears OTA's and thats not a good thing with a coaching change.

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 2, Tackles 4 Assists 2

Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 2 : Death 10 Joe 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: