Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Matt Russell Interested in CU Athletic Director Position

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
broncos67

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Matt Russell Interested in CU Athletic Director Position Reply with quote

Interesting bit of news here, and one that could certainly impact the team. There's no indication he's actually LEAVING yet, but obviously it's a strong tie for him and something that might be a very real possibility.

http://www.denverpost.com/cu/ci_23346900/colorado-buffs-mike-bohn-broncos-matt-russell

Link above. Obviously I hope he stays, as that would be a big loss, but I guess we'll see.

Thanks, Tzimisce
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=AlbertBreer&tw_i=339863522353770497&tw_p=tweetembed

Breath easy Bronco fans.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was about to post this in the Dove Valley thread, yet Breer says that Russell stays. Regardless, good thing we have a now in-house Heckert as in insurance in case CU ups the ante in the future.

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
mke1010

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For now it's a pipe dream for Russell to get that job. He isnt going anywhere. He doesn't have the business resume/fund raising background needed to be an Athletic director in college sports.

For CU, it would be a terrible hire. CU needs someone who will re-energize fund raising and work hard to improve facilities while growing revenue. I dont think Matt Russell quite fits that profile.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. A lot to say here.

One, the CU apologists, the university's boosters and the Denver media (most of whom are one in the same) would like nothing more than for CU alum and successful Broncos Front Office man Matt Russell to run the athletic department in Boulder. These are the same people who thought that by following the advice of the "Buffs for life" crowd and hiring John Embree and Eric Bieniemy would be enough to salvage the CU football program. How did that work out?

I remember the Denver media, to the person, falling all over themselves to line up and congratulate Bohn and the rest of the CU leadership for hiring Embree and praising the staff he put together, applauding CU for their decision to hire a "true Buff" who would restore CU to it's "former greatness" (one split national championship in 1991). Remember, two years ago these same people suggested, seriously suggested without any sarcasm, that CU should make a play for Mike Shanahan to coach the football team and, again, in all seriousness, that Shanahan should take such an offer. Yes, Mike Shanahan, the same Mike Shanahan who was the hottest coaching commodity on the football market, the one who could be given a $7m+ per year salary and final-say authority for any NFL team with an opening. These same folks think that Matt Russell is going to take what would be a demotion to run their beloved university's athletic department. Having lived here and watched this for 31 years, their naivete never ceases to shock me. And I'm hoping sooner or later it will, because this is getting tiring.

Two, Russell declined an opportunity to interview for the San Diego Chargers GM job when it came open a few months ago. I know this might be hard for the CU homers in the Denver media to accept, but if someone turns down a NFL GM job, no way are they taking/interested in/interviewing for an AD job at a third-rate (at best) NCAA program. Hard as it might be for some to accept, CU is not Michigan, Alabama, Notre Dame, U$C or any other legitimately elite program with whom the CU cheerleaders feel they share space.

Matt Russell is going to be the GM of the Denver Broncos one day; he's Elway's heir-apparent. I hope that's not for another 10 years but the fact that Russell has survived Elway's post-Mac purge that cost the jobs of yes-man and incompetents like Xanders and Kidd, he's earned my trust.

I doubt Russell leaves. But if he does, I feel bad for him. The same people who are, probably literally down on their hands and knees right now, praying he takes the CU AD job are the same ones who will be looking to burn him at the stake when CU doesn't turn into Alabama three years after he is hired.

Those of you who live outside of Colorado cannot appreciate it. The level to which the CU crowd (and that includes fans, alumns, the media, etc) holds the teams is so far divorced from reality that even I cannot figure out whether to laugh or cry.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on AAA do you even bother reading, all the link said was Russell MIGHT be interested in the AD job, not the other way around.

Do you really think a D1 school is going to hire someone who has no experience running an AD department, no experience fundraising, no experience in a business?

The only place Russell would leave for is CU, but if that was going to happen it would've before he got his latest promotion. He's going to be in the Denver FO for a good amount of time.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
Wow. A lot to say here.

One, the CU apologists, the university's boosters and the Denver media (most of whom are one in the same) would like nothing more than for CU alum and successful Broncos Front Office man Matt Russell to run the athletic department in Boulder. These are the same people who thought that by following the advice of the "Buffs for life" crowd and hiring John Embree and Eric Bieniemy would be enough to salvage the CU football program. How did that work out?

I remember the Denver media, to the person, falling all over themselves to line up and congratulate Bohn and the rest of the CU leadership for hiring Embree and praising the staff he put together, applauding CU for their decision to hire a "true Buff" who would restore CU to it's "former greatness" (one split national championship in 1991). Remember, two years ago these same people suggested, seriously suggested without any sarcasm, that CU should make a play for Mike Shanahan to coach the football team and, again, in all seriousness, that Shanahan should take such an offer. Yes, Mike Shanahan, the same Mike Shanahan who was the hottest coaching commodity on the football market, the one who could be given a $7m+ per year salary and final-say authority for any NFL team with an opening. These same folks think that Matt Russell is going to take what would be a demotion to run their beloved university's athletic department. Having lived here and watched this for 31 years, their naivete never ceases to shock me. And I'm hoping sooner or later it will, because this is getting tiring.

Two, Russell declined an opportunity to interview for the San Diego Chargers GM job when it came open a few months ago. I know this might be hard for the CU homers in the Denver media to accept, but if someone turns down a NFL GM job, no way are they taking/interested in/interviewing for an AD job at a third-rate (at best) NCAA program. Hard as it might be for some to accept, CU is not Michigan, Alabama, Notre Dame, U$C or any other legitimately elite program with whom the CU cheerleaders feel they share space.

Matt Russell is going to be the GM of the Denver Broncos one day; he's Elway's heir-apparent. I hope that's not for another 10 years but the fact that Russell has survived Elway's post-Mac purge that cost the jobs of yes-man and incompetents like Xanders and Kidd, he's earned my trust.

I doubt Russell leaves. But if he does, I feel bad for him. The same people who are, probably literally down on their hands and knees right now, praying he takes the CU AD job are the same ones who will be looking to burn him at the stake when CU doesn't turn into Alabama three years after he is hired.

Those of you who live outside of Colorado cannot appreciate it. The level to which the CU crowd (and that includes fans, alumns, the media, etc) holds the teams is so far divorced from reality that even I cannot figure out whether to laugh or cry.
I can't tell exactly what your point is here. It sounds like you are taking an opportunity to bash a program while its down.

The hiring of Embree wasn't a mistake. The mistake was letting Bohn hire him. Bohn should have been gone in the first place. Then they let him hire the new coach before ultimatley being kicked down the road. The problem isn't the "apoligists'". The problem is the people running the university. They have no interest in returning the team to the level it once was. The boosters and alums alike need to put pressure on the university to step up. There are millions of dollars the university is missing out on. Just simply going to the PAC12 won't increase the revenue needed to make the program better and ultimately the school better. They need to produce a competitive product.

As for Russell, we should get used to his name surrounding lots of jobs in the coming years. He will be a hot commodity as long as the Broncos keep winning games and building a perrenial contender.
champ+jay+al=SB

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not forget this is AD. Not head football coach. You're talking about one sport. CU has a preseason top 25 sport for the second largest college sport in men's basketball. They have elite cross country teams, won the skiing national championship, women's bball was in the top 25 all year etc. But yeah every Buff has their head in the clouds because they actually have some school spirit...

But yeah, football is the most important topic. And CU football was good a decade ago. Let's not act like they can't change it around with the facility renovations and a better coach and program. It won't be overnight, but it's not impossible.

Boulder is one of the most desirable places to live in the world. CU is an elite university. It's not shocking that some people would assume CU could hire high profile people. But our football team sucks so I probably must be making that up.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised to see Russell have Elway's job some day if Elway took over for Bowlen.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: