Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Former Giants, Eagles WR Steve Smith retires from the NFL
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Former Giants, Eagles WR Steve Smith retires from the NFL Reply with quote

Quote:
WR Steve Smith, who signed with the Bucs in April, has announced that he will retire from the NFL after 6 seasons.

http://twitter.com/TBBuccaneers/statuses/339841070139600896

Smith set the Giants single season receptions record in 2009 with 107 but only a few years later is done in the NFL.

Tom Brady Tribute
jerseyboy257

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take notice, Victor.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerseyboy257 wrote:
Take notice, Victor.

What? if anything it will just fuel Cruz even more to stick to his demands, he will try to get as much money as he can because this shows that even successful, Pro-Bowl WRs may retire at age 28 because of an injury.

Yes, you think that he should learn from Smith turning down a long-term deal [like he was offered at one point] but i highly doubt that is the lesson he will learn, this will probably just remind him how an NFL career is short and Cruz is only a little bit over a year younger than Smith is now.
Tom Brady Tribute
percellovegiant

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerseyboy257 wrote:
Take notice, Victor.
No, take notice kenny phillips.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

percellovegiant wrote:
jerseyboy257 wrote:
Take notice, Victor.
No, take notice kenny phillips.

He already is following in Smith's footsteps. The curse of the ex-Giants.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how he turned down a big contract over greed and tried to stick it to the Giants by signing fro the Eagles. Well done Smith, truly a brilliant move
jerseyboy257

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
jerseyboy257 wrote:
Take notice, Victor.

What? if anything it will just fuel Cruz even more to stick to his demands, he will try to get as much money as he can because this shows that even successful, Pro-Bowl WRs may retire at age 28 because of an injury.

Yes, you think that he should learn from Smith turning down a long-term deal [like he was offered at one point] but i highly doubt that is the lesson he will learn, this will probably just remind him how an NFL career is short and Cruz is only a little bit over a year younger than Smith is now.

You must not know a whole lot about Steve Smith's contract history. Eli made him out to be 10x the player he actually is to the point where he actually was one of the top WRs in the NFC to make the pro-bowl. Steve Smith couldn't do anything with Mike Vick or Sam Bradford, regardless of injury. Just another product of the Giants' office. I love Cruz and it seems that he's going to remain a Giant once both sides come to terms, but the Giants aren't going to overpay for anyone not named Eli Manning, not saying he's not deserving of that money but QB salary in general is just flat out ridiculous.
w4rrior723

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerseyboy257 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
jerseyboy257 wrote:
Take notice, Victor.

You must not know a whole lot about Steve Smith's contract history. Eli made him out to be 10x the player he actually is to the point where he actually was one of the top WRs in the NFC to make the pro-bowl. Steve Smith couldn't do anything with Mike Vick or Sam Bradford, regardless of injury. Just another product of the Giants' office. I love Cruz and it seems that he's going to remain a Giant once both sides come to terms, but the Giants aren't going to overpay for anyone not named Eli Manning, not saying he's not deserving of that money but QB salary in general is just flat out ridiculous.

So you deny Steve Smith was one of the best route runners in the league before he injured himself? You can't say "regardless of injury" as it blatantly ruined his career.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame, Smith was one of my favorites of all time. Him and Eli were fantastic together.

Sad day, could have been still going today if it weren't for his injury.

We the North
NYGiantsman10

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

w4rrior723 wrote:
jerseyboy257 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
jerseyboy257 wrote:
Take notice, Victor.

So you deny Steve Smith was one of the best route runners in the league before he injured himself? You can't say "regardless of injury" as it blatantly ruined his career.

I feel for him. He was never the same guy after that knee injury. Damn shame.

Best of luck in life Steve.
jerseyboy257

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

w4rrior723 wrote:
jerseyboy257 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
jerseyboy257 wrote:
Take notice, Victor.

His production derailed even before his injury in 2010. He shouldn't have left, but did and quickly became a nobody. If it's about the money, then okay fine let someone else overpay you and have fun derailing your career. He was a great route runner but also a product of the offense. Eli Manning made Steve Smith the probowler that he was and he got greedy and left the Giants prematurely while a deal still could have been made and signed with a divisional rival. The Giants know how much Steve Smith is worth, how much Kenny Phillips is worth, how much Victor Cruz is worth, given their health and production. If Cruz is smart, he'll sign and not be greedy and seek up to 10 mil. Don't try to tell me 8m/yr. is not enough money thats complete BS.
redsoxsuck05

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think to suggest that Eli singlehandedly raised Smith from bum status to catch machine overrates Eli, to be honest. He was on pace for another 100+ catch, 1000+ yard season in 2010 so it's not like he was a fluke either. Shame the injuries derailed his career, if not he'd be a great asset. Last of all, thanks for the big catches in 2007 Stevie.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be forever thankful for his contribution to the Giants especially on the final drive during the Miracle on Turf

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerseyboy257 wrote:

His production derailed even before his injury in 2010.

That's simply not true. Through the first 8 games of 2010 (he got hurt in the 9th game) he was on pace for another 90+ catch, 1000+ yard season.
bballbkd1001

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smith was an excellent receiver with excellent route running abilities. His injury was in his contract year... the giants offered him 15 plus mill gaurenteed before the injury. He turned it down and then injury happened. He literally lost 15 plus million (ATLEAST) becaise he wanted more. Greed is a terrible thing.

So as jerseyboy said, cruz needs to look at something like this and not be greedy. Same with nicks

But I don't care if both of them leave. The giants always find players to step up and with eli throwing, who needs em

^^^ Huge props Rase on the Sig!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: