Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sean Spence Expects to Play
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 49062
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
I don't understand how you can't like the pick. Spence is undersized which can be easily fixed with a year or two in a NFL weight lifting program. Looking at Spence from some of the pics online looks to have put on about 10 lbs of muscle probably putting him at 240+ Lbs. If he ever returns healthy I believe Spence is a player thats size defies scheme.


Because his playing weight in college was sub 230 and we have no idea how he will carry that weight. Also never showed the ability to shed blocks....which as I recall was the biggest reason most people didnt like Timmons.

There was valid reasoning for not liking the pick.
_________________
SCPackersFan wrote:
I hold nothing against blue-collar people and I respect/admire them for doing what they do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SteelProven


Moderator
Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Posts: 11863
Location: Ramstein, Germany
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
I don't understand how you can't like the pick. Spence is undersized which can be easily fixed with a year or two in a NFL weight lifting program. Looking at Spence from some of the pics online looks to have put on about 10 lbs of muscle probably putting him at 240+ Lbs. If he ever returns healthy I believe Spence is a player thats size defies scheme.


Because his playing weight in college was sub 230 and we have no idea how he will carry that weight. Also never showed the ability to shed blocks....which as I recall was the biggest reason most people didnt like Timmons.

There was valid reasoning for not liking the pick.


Spence wasn't gonna start this season if healthy anyway. Unless Foote got injured I believe he was resigned for insurance, depth and leadership. Spence was gonna be groomed slowly probably similar to Timmons.

Keith Butler mentioned when that drafted Spence that the Steelers aren't expecting him to be a stack and shed ILB.

I found it interesting that Butler would consider maybe using Worilds as a ILB. Wonder if that still on the table if JJ pans out?

Quote:
Linebackers Coach Keith Butler on Sean Spence

Is Sean Spence and inside or outside linebacker?
He is going to be inside. They (Miami) have played in a 4-3 front, but itís a different front than ours. We see him as an inside linebacker.

Are the days of Levon Kirkland playing the buck long gone? He seems pretty small?
I wouldnít say that. This guy is smaller than Levon Kirkland. Sean is a very instinctive, fast, quick kid that is very smart. He is probably best served if we can cover him up. What I mean by that is; if you look at James Farrior, he played the last four or five years at 230 pounds and when you get older like that, itís best to be playing at 230 pounds as opposed to 235 pounds because he knows the game well enough that he is going to act fast enough and he can use the techniques and knowledge of the game, he doesnít have to be as heavy. Itís better for him so he can keep his mobility, because thatís more important than anything else. This guy has that mobility.

Is this guy a buck?
I wouldnít call him a buck, no. The buck linebacker has to be a little bit bigger and take on the guards more. We cover our linebackers up pretty good. What I mean by that is, we let them scrape and run to football a little bit more instead of coming downhill and taking on isos. The day of the iso with the middle linebacker is almost gone. Everybody is using tight ends as fullbacks and sometimes they use them when trying to lead and sometimes they donít. A lot of stuff today is mis-direction and trying to fool you or out-number you one way and then give you a different look coming back the other way. A lot of that requires the ability to read from the linebackers now-a-days, not so much to get down and stuff a hole. Sometimes you have to do it on the goal line when you have to take on a big running back, but weíre taking on Ray Rice, weíre not taking on Jerome Bettis anymore.

Are you happy with what you have at inside linebacker right now?
Yes. I think we can always get better. You lose a guy like James Farrior, which youíre never going to replace because of all the intangibles he brings to the table, thatís just impossible to replace all of that. We feel good about who we have inside right now and weíll have to grow and learn as we go.

Where is he in terms of being NFL-ready?
Heís going to help us on special teams. Heís not going to start at ďmackĒ linebacker over Lawrence Timmons. That isnít going to happen.

James Farrior used to talk about how complex the ďbuckĒ linebacker position is. Who do you have in the pipeline there?
The pipeline is going to be Sly (Sylvester Stevenson). Larry Foote is going to be the starter. Larry Foote knows this defense in and out. Heís been in this defense for 10 years. If anybody knows this defense itís Larry Foote The guy behind him is Sylvester Stevenson. Sylvester has been with us a couple of years. Heís a very sharp young man, and heíll be even better. Last year I required him to know a bunch of different positions, and he knew them well enough to put him in there when we needed him. We had some injuries more than once last year, and he was able to play different positions. That will be required of him again this year. For him and all the other linebackers, they have to move around. Lawrence Timmons moved around. Heís played inside and outside. I would prefer to leave Lawrence inside and give him a chance to get some of the recognition. I feel like heíll play well enough to get the recognition that he deserves, because I feel heís one of the better linebackers in the league. I feel if we can keep him at one position, inside, then he has a chance to be one of the better linebackers in the league.

Larry Foote is a very capable starter for us, and there wonít be much dropoff by having him in there. Our two outside guys are good players, as you know. Jason Worilds really came on and played well last year for us. The more he played, the better he got. What probably hurt our young guys last year, (Stevenson and Worilds) those two guys didnít have OTAs. Most of the time young linebackers get better their second year because of the OTAs. The first year, they come in and they go through a complex system. Theyíre having to think out there, and as a consequence they donít move very fast. Theyíre thinking. The next year they come in and itís night and day for them because of repetition. They go, ďOh, thatís what we did. That makes sense now.Ē They move much faster. Well, these guys didnít have the benefit of those OTAs, and we had to get them in training camp and they were like rookies. Instead of having the OTAs and the minicamp again and then the training camp, they just had training camp. We took out two-thirds of that process for them to learn by having the lockout. That hurt them quite a bit in my opinion, and Jason Worilds really came on for us at the end of the year. Iím sure that Sly will do the same thing this year.

Does Sylvester have long-term starting potential?
I need to see more from him. He might think he does, but he has to convince me first.

Do you see Worilds at inside or outside linebacker?
Worilds played outside for us last year and did a great job. Can he play inside? Maybe he can. Weíll see. We might give him a look at that. Right now we need him at outside. Chris Carter has a lot to learn. He was one of those rookies last year that gets the benefit of that second year this year. I have my work cut out for me as a coach.

Did they ask if you wanted Hightower and did you say, ĎNo, weíre goodí?
No, I didnít say that. (Laughter) I didnít say that and whoever said I said that wasnít exactly telling the truth. I didnít say that. They didnít ask me. I was kind of standing on the table a little bit, but they didnít ask me.

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 49062
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
I don't understand how you can't like the pick. Spence is undersized which can be easily fixed with a year or two in a NFL weight lifting program. Looking at Spence from some of the pics online looks to have put on about 10 lbs of muscle probably putting him at 240+ Lbs. If he ever returns healthy I believe Spence is a player thats size defies scheme.


Because his playing weight in college was sub 230 and we have no idea how he will carry that weight. Also never showed the ability to shed blocks....which as I recall was the biggest reason most people didnt like Timmons.

There was valid reasoning for not liking the pick.


Spence wasn't gonna start this season if healthy anyway. Unless Foote got injured I believe he was resigned for insurance, depth and leadership. Spence was gonna be groomed slowly probably similar to Timmons.

Keith Butler mentioned when that drafted Spence that the Steelers aren't expecting him to be a stack and shed ILB.

I found it interesting that Butler would consider maybe using Worilds as a ILB. Wonder if that still on the table if JJ pans out?


Well, I said I thought Spence could be a good SITUATIONAL LB, but in the 3rd round, I was personally hoping for more of a starting caliber, which I didnt think Spence ever would be, even before the injury.

I hoped I was wrong...still do, but IMO you cant be a full time ILB in LeBeau's D if you cant shed blocks. That was Timmons problem for awhile. He improved with that, but not all players do.

Bottom line, I hope Spence comes back and proves more wrong...or at the very least is the situational guy in passing situations and Vince Williams can be the run guy.
_________________
SCPackersFan wrote:
I hold nothing against blue-collar people and I respect/admire them for doing what they do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 62238
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
I don't understand how you can't like the pick. Spence is undersized which can be easily fixed with a year or two in a NFL weight lifting program. Looking at Spence from some of the pics online looks to have put on about 10 lbs of muscle probably putting him at 240+ Lbs. If he ever returns healthy I believe Spence is a player thats size defies scheme.
i sure hope he put on the 10 to 15 lbs of muscle he'll need to hold up in the nfl. I hope he gets healthy, they really need a guy like him
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Preseason 6; Final Cuts 29; Reg Season 37
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
treat88


Joined: 03 Mar 2006
Posts: 6424
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
I don't understand how you can't like the pick. Spence is undersized which can be easily fixed with a year or two in a NFL weight lifting program. Looking at Spence from some of the pics online looks to have put on about 10 lbs of muscle probably putting him at 240+ Lbs. If he ever returns healthy I believe Spence is a player thats size defies scheme.
i sure hope he put on the 10 to 15 lbs of muscle he'll need to hold up in the nfl. I hope he gets healthy, they really need a guy like him


Love to see him play a Wesley Woodyardesque role. Different schemes but very similar players IMO.

Woodyard played inside at 230 in Williams absence and was plenty competent on base downs.

Whether they are 230, 240, or 250 theres not a LB in the league that can routinely stack and shed a 320 pound guard that meets them square.

Beat the guy to the spot or get the angle is what creates the play. If that knee is ever right, big if, those are the things Spence will excel at.

My point being, I don't think he needs those 10 or 15 pounds to hold up.
_________________



"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MOSteelers56


Joined: 17 Jan 2008
Posts: 5164
Location: Anywheresville Missouri
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
I don't understand how you can't like the pick. Spence is undersized which can be easily fixed with a year or two in a NFL weight lifting program. Looking at Spence from some of the pics online looks to have put on about 10 lbs of muscle probably putting him at 240+ Lbs. If he ever returns healthy I believe Spence is a player thats size defies scheme.
i sure hope he put on the 10 to 15 lbs of muscle he'll need to hold up in the nfl. I hope he gets healthy, they really need a guy like him


Love to see him play a Wesley Woodyardesque role. Different schemes but very similar players IMO.

Woodyard played inside at 230 in Williams absence and was plenty competent on base downs.

Whether they are 230, 240, or 250 theres not a LB in the league that can routinely stack and shed a 320 pound guard that meets them square.

Beat the guy to the spot or get the angle is what creates the play. If that knee is ever right, big if, those are the things Spence will excel at.

My point being, I don't think he needs those 10 or 15 pounds to hold up.

Farrior played his last few years at 225 so I am inclined to side with you on this one.
_________________

gopherwrestler makes sigs I wanna make sweet love to
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 62238
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. In terms of Sean Spence:

Heís going to help us on special teams. Heís not going to start at ďmackĒ linebacker over Lawrence Timmons. That isnít going to happen.

2. James Farrior used to talk about how complex the ďbuckĒ linebacker position is. Who do you have in the pipeline there?

The pipeline is going to be Sly (Sylvester Stevenson). Larry Foote is going to be the starter. Larry Foote knows this defense in and out. Heís been in this defense for 10 years. If anybody knows this defense itís Larry Foote The guy behind him is Sylvester Stevenson. Sylvester has been with us a couple of years. Heís a very sharp young man, and heíll be even better. Last year I required him to know a bunch of different positions, and he knew them well enough to put him in there when we needed him. We had some injuries more than once last year, and he was able to play different positions. That will be required of him again this year. For him and all the other linebackers, they have to move around. Lawrence Timmons moved around. Heís played inside and outside. I would prefer to leave Lawrence inside and give him a chance to get some of the recognition. I feel like heíll play well enough to get the recognition that he deserves, because I feel heís one of the better linebackers in the league. I feel if we can keep him at one position, inside, then he has a chance to be one of the better linebackers in the league.

3. Larry Foote is a very capable starter for us, and there wonít be much dropoff by having him in there. Our two outside guys are good players, as you know. Jason Worilds really came on and played well last year for us. The more he played, the better he got. What probably hurt our young guys last year, (Stevenson and Worilds) those two guys didnít have OTAs. Most of the time young linebackers get better their second year because of the OTAs. The first year, they come in and they go through a complex system. Theyíre having to think out there, and as a consequence they donít move very fast. Theyíre thinking. The next year they come in and itís night and day for them because of repetition. They go, ďOh, thatís what we did. That makes sense now.Ē They move much faster. Well, these guys didnít have the benefit of those OTAs, and we had to get them in training camp and they were like rookies. Instead of having the OTAs and the minicamp again and then the training camp, they just had training camp. We took out two-thirds of that process for them to learn by having the lockout. That hurt them quite a bit in my opinion, and Jason Worilds really came on for us at the end of the year. Iím sure that Sly will do the same thing this year.

4. Does Sylvester have long-term starting potential?
I need to see more from him. He might think he does, but he has to convince me first.

5. Do you see Worilds at inside or outside linebacker?
Worilds played outside for us last year and did a great job. Can he play inside? Maybe he can. Weíll see. We might give him a look at that. Right now we need him at outside. Chris Carter has a lot to learn. He was one of those rookies last year that gets the benefit of that second year this year. I have my work cut out for me as a coach.

Good stuff here. He believes there is hopes for Sylvester and that Worilds did what I and Steelproven said. As Worilds played more he got better and there is a possibility he could play ILB in the future. It'd be nice if he could transition to the buck position when Foote retires. He's certainly big and strong enough, he and Timmons could be a solid tandem for the Steelers.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Preseason 6; Final Cuts 29; Reg Season 37
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
wwhickok


Joined: 27 Nov 2012
Posts: 12211
Location: Montgomery, PA aka Steeler Nation!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Sylvester Stevenson...

This guy was at one point actually cut from the roster. "He will get better"... I'll believe that when I see it.

One thing is correct for sure, Spence will never take Timmons' job, that's because imo, Timmons is a Top 5-10 ILB in the NFL.


As far as Worilds playing inside, I think it's a possibility, I also think it's a possibility that Jarvis Jones does. It just depends on which of these two guys does the best in pass rushing, that guy will be our ROLB.
_________________


Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SteelProven


Moderator
Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Posts: 11863
Location: Ramstein, Germany
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
On Sylvester Stevenson...

This guy was at one point actually cut from the roster. "He will get better"... I'll believe that when I see it.

One thing is correct for sure, Spence will never take Timmons' job, that's because imo, Timmons is a Top 5-10 ILB in the NFL.


As far as Worilds playing inside, I think it's a possibility, I also think it's a possibility that Jarvis Jones does. It just depends on which of these two guys does the best in pass rushing, that guy will be our ROLB.


I don't think either Jones/Worilds are going inside, because I believe Vince Williams will be that ILB if Spence is healthy or not.

Worilds/Jones will adopt that new situational pass rusher that Smith/Von Miller have made famous the past few years.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wwhickok


Joined: 27 Nov 2012
Posts: 12211
Location: Montgomery, PA aka Steeler Nation!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
wwhickok wrote:
On Sylvester Stevenson...

This guy was at one point actually cut from the roster. "He will get better"... I'll believe that when I see it.

One thing is correct for sure, Spence will never take Timmons' job, that's because imo, Timmons is a Top 5-10 ILB in the NFL.


As far as Worilds playing inside, I think it's a possibility, I also think it's a possibility that Jarvis Jones does. It just depends on which of these two guys does the best in pass rushing, that guy will be our ROLB.


I don't think either Jones/Worilds are going inside, because I believe Vince Williams will be that ILB if Spence is healthy or not.

Worilds/Jones will adopt that new situational pass rusher that Smith/Von Miller have made famous the past few years.


I completely agree with you honestly. I really like Vince Williams and I'm really glad that we drafted him. I was just saying that I'm not necessarily against seeing what either of those guys can do inside and that it is a possibility, but I also don't really see it ever happening and I'm also fine with that. I think Vince Williams is a promising future beyond Larry Foote.
_________________


Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 62238
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
On Sylvester Stevenson...

This guy was at one point actually cut from the roster. "He will get better"... I'll believe that when I see it.

One thing is correct for sure, Spence will never take Timmons' job, that's because imo, Timmons is a Top 5-10 ILB in the NFL.


As far as Worilds playing inside, I think it's a possibility, I also think it's a possibility that Jarvis Jones does. It just depends on which of these two guys does the best in pass rushing, that guy will be our ROLB.
I think he means Spence could take over for Timmons when he retires like in 7/8 years
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Preseason 6; Final Cuts 29; Reg Season 37


Last edited by turtle28 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Chieferific


Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Posts: 3130
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the move to 2 TE sets, I feel like Spence was drafted Primarily for his coverage ability. Not to say he can't, but I feel as if it was not intended to have him stack the POA. They have Timmons for that.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 62238
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
I don't understand how you can't like the pick. Spence is undersized which can be easily fixed with a year or two in a NFL weight lifting program. Looking at Spence from some of the pics online looks to have put on about 10 lbs of muscle probably putting him at 240+ Lbs. If he ever returns healthy I believe Spence is a player thats size defies scheme.
i sure hope he put on the 10 to 15 lbs of muscle he'll need to hold up in the nfl. I hope he gets healthy, they really need a guy like him


Love to see him play a Wesley Woodyardesque role. Different schemes but very similar players IMO.

Woodyard played inside at 230 in Williams absence and was plenty competent on base downs.

Whether they are 230, 240, or 250 theres not a LB in the league that can routinely stack and shed a 320 pound guard that meets them square.

Beat the guy to the spot or get the angle is what creates the play. If that knee is ever right, big if, those are the things Spence will excel at.

My point being, I don't think he needs those 10 or 15 pounds to hold up.
True, true. Good points.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Preseason 6; Final Cuts 29; Reg Season 37
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 62238
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
With the move to 2 TE sets, I feel like Spence was drafted Primarily for his coverage ability. Not to say he can't, but I feel as if it was not intended to have him stack the POA. They have Timmons for that.
yeah and I agree with what Steelproven as saying about Vince Williams. I expect him to make a push for the starting job next to Timmons when Foote decides to retire.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Preseason 6; Final Cuts 29; Reg Season 37
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SteelKing728


Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Posts: 13878
Location: Gibsonia, Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
Spence interview


The link doesn't work
_________________

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group