Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sean Spence Expects to Play
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chieferific

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Sean Spence Expects to Play Reply with quote

According to ESPN, Spence expects to play this year. This is great news for him. That injury was gruesome. I thought he'd never walk right again. With speed and quickness being his game it will be interesting to see if he still has it when he returns. Without it, he's out of the league.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really dont know what to make of the Spence situation. I really would like to see what he could have added to the defensive dynamic. I am hopefully that he can come back and fly around the field, whether that be this year or next.

Just a lot of conflicting reports and stories on this guy - from media and even coaches.

Maybe coaches have taken the standpoint of "Expect the worst and you'll never be disappointing"?
SteelProven

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spence interview

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be nice not to have to burn another pick on ILB. That's a high percentage position to pick at in the early rounds. A 3rd round ILB has a decent chance of panning out normally, and I liked the Spence pick. He's the sort of player who would pair well with Timmons.
Bobikus

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spence looked like he was going to work best as a coverage guy as far as his place in the system. If he can actually get back to 100%, I think even if he's not full-time starter material, he could work well in rotation with Vince Williams whose strength is against the run.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Sean Spence Expects to Play Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
According to ESPN, Spence expects to play this year. This is great news for him. That injury was gruesome. I thought he'd never walk right again. With speed and quickness being his game it will be interesting to see if he still has it when he returns. Without it, he's out of the league.

His best asset coming out was his instincts.

Even if this slows him down a bit, it wouldnt spell the end.

It obviously doesnt help, but he wasnt a guy who leaned on his athleticism.

simonwayne wrote:
We ain't got nothing man, just a chiefs win, thats all you get...And next week it will be wash, rinse, repeat.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing that I took from Spences' interview was "out here taking mental reps, they're just as good as the physical reps."

Which sort of suggests he's not doing much physically. If he's planning to play this season, that isn't very reassuring.

Sig courtesy of IDOG
Chieferific

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Sean Spence Expects to Play Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Chieferific wrote:

His best asset coming out was his instincts.

Even if this slows him down a bit, it wouldnt spell the end.

It obviously doesnt help, but he wasnt a guy who leaned on his athleticism.

In my mind his athleticism trumps his instincts. Meaning, without the physical ability to "get there" his instincts are worthless. I guess it depends on how much movement he's lost. If it's a step, then his instincts may make up for it. Given the severity of the injury, he'd have to comeback close to 100% for his instincts to "hold up". I do agree that his instincts are his greatest attribute with all things remaining constant. But I guess we're debating a kind of Chicken/Egg thing. I'm sure we both hope he's able to return to form so his instincts can be utilized to their full potential. If so, he could be special. I wasn't a fan of the pick but I now find myself cheering and hoping for a player like I never have before.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
The one thing that I took from Spences' interview was "out here taking mental reps, they're just as good as the physical reps."

Which sort of suggests he's not doing much physically. If he's planning to play this season, that isn't very reassuring.

Spence mental reps is all he could do last season and I believe it has nothing to do with his current state.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
wwhickok wrote:

Spence mental reps is all he could do last season and I believe it has nothing to do with his current state.

While that might be true, I didn't get the sense he'd actually be ready to play this year from his interview.

Sig courtesy of IDOG
SteelProven

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe Spence will be ready either, but I wouldn't put it passed the Steelers to put in on the new IR. They could do that for motivation for the player and team.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
wwhickok wrote:

While that might be true, I didn't get the sense he'd actually be ready to play this year from his interview.

He said he expects to play this year in the interview.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Sean Spence Expects to Play Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
I wasn't a fan of the pick but I now find myself cheering and hoping for a player like I never have before.

Completely agreed...mainly just because I hate to see anyone's career end like that...before even getting a shot.

simonwayne wrote:
We ain't got nothing man, just a chiefs win, thats all you get...And next week it will be wash, rinse, repeat.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everyone, I didn't like the pick, but since I got over tht I've been rooting for him big time! I'd love to believe he's healthy enough to contribute this season, but I don't. I see IR or Pup this year, most likely IR. hopefully he can play in 2014
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SteelProven

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand how you can't like the pick. Spence is undersized which can be easily fixed with a year or two in a NFL weight lifting program. Looking at Spence from some of the pics online looks to have put on about 10 lbs of muscle probably putting him at 240+ Lbs. If he ever returns healthy I believe Spence is a player thats size defies scheme.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: