Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How big is McLendon
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandfield1971

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: How big is McLendon Reply with quote

The OFFICIAL roster has him listed at 280 and Hayward at 288. AIN'T NO WAY!!! LOL. Jus watched the lastest OTA video and looks a way bigger than Hayward. Jus curious
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just discussed this recently, actually.

You cant really trust weights listed on sites, because most are based on what they players weighed coming into the league, and they dont really even update those weights.

McLendon reportedly weighed 320-330 last season, and if you look at him, you can tell he weighs more than the listed 280.
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's not 280, but I don't believe 320 at all. I'm guessing he's around 305.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:

I dunno sc29, this is one big dude

1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an article this morning about him actually.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/bigger-job-leads-to-bigger-thoughts-689499/

He says he would like to be the combination of Hampton, Hoke, and Ratliff. I didn't realize he had been cut four times by the team. When mentioned that the team still has him listed at 280 pounds, the original weight when he was first released, he laughed it off and said to keep it at that because it's going to fool everybody. The article mentioned that it's about 30 pounds or so off.

I was hesitant with him being named the starter, I thought he might better suited at DE, but I really like his approach and attitude from reading his comments. For the contract he just recently signed he could be a steal for the team if he can play at a steady and consistent level as the replacement for Hampton.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:

[McLendon Picture here]

Doesn't look like someone 320 to me.
MightyJoeYoung

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:

[McLendon Picture here]

Really? I mean maybe he is 310 but 320 isn't a stretch by any means. Don't forget he is 6'4 either.

Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the sig

"The King Stay the King"
jebrick

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/bigger-job-leads-to-bigger-thoughts-689499/

He says he would like to be the combination of Hampton, Hoke, and Ratliff. I didn't realize he had been cut four times by the team. When mentioned that the team still has him listed at 280 pounds, the original weight when he was first released, he laughed it off and said to keep it at that because it's going to fool everybody. The article mentioned that it's about 30 pounds or so off.

I was hesitant with him being named the starter, I thought he might better suited at DE, but I really like his approach and attitude from reading his comments. For the contract he just recently signed he could be a steal for the team if he can play at a steady and consistent level as the replacement for Hampton.

McLendon said the 280 was 30 pounds light.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
bbelan2343

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MightyJoeYoung wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:

[McLendon Picture here]

Really? I mean maybe he is 310 but 320 isn't a stretch by any means. Don't forget he is 6'4 either.

His height is what makes 320 believeable.

In the pic you cant really tell how tall he is. If he's standing 6'0" I wouldnt believe 300+.
Morons at the dollar store are selling dinosaurs for a buck

Let's go Pirates!!
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:

I agree. I think he's in the teens somewhere. Barry Cofield for the skins weighs 315 or so and does well at NT, so I trust McLendon will as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SteelFire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/06/steelers-nt-steve-mclendon-drops-weight-for-2013/
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelFire wrote:
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/06/steelers-nt-steve-mclendon-drops-weight-for-2013/

So last year he was 335?? Shocked Wow, I didn't realize that.

Now he's around 320. I think that's a good weight for him. He will still be stout against the run but should agile enough to be able to put some pressure on the Qb, collapsing be pocket from the NT position.

Kethnabb makes a good point (like usual) he's 6'4 guys. That add weight when you are taller.

Barry Cofield plays NT for the Redskins and has been good since we got him. He said a lot of the same things McLendon did about his listed weight. Cofield is the same size as McLendon 6'4 and and around 320. Since the Redskins signed Cofield in August of 2011 there's been a similar discussion about his weight and if Cofield had the bulk to play NT. he's always been listed on all sites as 306 because that was the size he was when he was younger.

When the beat reporters asked Cofield about his weight, he responded "A gentleman never tells" then laughed off the question Laughing . He assured the media and I guess all Redskins nation that he could play the NT position and eluded to weighing more than that listed weight of 306.

I believe McLendon is going to be fine and I wouldn't be surprised if he had a few sacks also this season. Cofield has for Washington.

I just saw this article about mcLendon not wanting to come off the field during the season and that's why he got in better shape. I think it could happen that he plays almost all the snaps at NT this season.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/6/5/4398254/steelers-steve-mclendon-replacement-casey-hampton-nose-tackle

Quote:
According to Pro Football Focus, McLendon played 139 snaps last year, with 73 of them coming on passing plays. McLendon subbed in sub-packages last year, the nickel and dime, and appeared to be primarily rushing the passer from the inside. He wasn't moved outside, but his quickness against centers and guards was utilized, albeit sparingly, last season.

He registered three sacks and two QB hurries in very limited action last year.

Last edited by turtle28 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SteelProven

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
SteelFire wrote:

So last year he was 335?? Shocked Wow, I didn't realize that.

Now he's around 320. I think that's a good weight for him. He will still be stout against the run but should agile enough to be able to put some pressure on the Qb, collapsing be pocket from the NT position.

Kethnabb makes a good point (like usual) he's 6'4 guys. That add weight when you are taller.

Barry Cofield plays NT for the Redskins and has been good since we got him. He said a lot of the same things McLendon did about his listed weight. Cofield is the same size as McLendon 6'4 and and around 320. Since the Redskins signed Cofield in August of 2011 there's been a similar discussion about his weight and if Cofield had the bulk to play NT. he's always been listed on all sites as 306 because that was the size he was when he was younger.

When the beat reporters asked Cofield about his weight, he responded "A gentleman never tells" then laughed off the question Laughing . He assured the media and I guess all Redskins nation that he could play the NT position and eluded to weighing more than that listed weight of 306.

I believe McLendon is going to be fine and I wouldn't be surprised if he had a few sacks also this season. Cofield has for Washington.

I just saw this article about mcLendon not wanting to come off the field during the season and that's why he got in better shape. I think it could happen that he plays almost all the snaps at NT this season.

MClendon is going to get at least 4-5 sacks this season if not more. Last year in a limited amount of snaps I believe he got 2 sacks. With 700+ snaps I think he'll prove to be a valuable DL asset.

John Mitchell mentioned last year that MCLendon was someone to look out for and with a limited amount of playing time has prove Mitchell right.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being taller (6'4") is actually a hinderance for the NT position. It's all about leverage. 6'0" or 6'1", ala Hampton, is ideal. Now I'm not gonna argue that 3" is gonna make a huge amount of difference. I'm merely suggesting that being taller isn't better. As for the upcoming season, it's nice to read these articles on Big Mac. It's nice to hear he's lost weight. It's nice to hear his stats and then try to caculate what they would be for a whole season. But I know what I've seen for the past few years. I know it's a Passing league. The Steelers better hope it is Passing league every game they play because he is a liability in Run Defense. With a year older Foote and Worlids replacing Harrison, the Run Defense has already suffered. Throw in a NT that struggles against the Run and it could be problematic.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
Being taller (6'4") is actually a hinderance for the NT position. It's all about leverage. 6'0" or 6'1", ala Hampton, is ideal. Now I'm not gonna argue that 3" is gonna make a huge amount of difference. I'm merely suggesting that being taller isn't better. As for the upcoming season, it's nice to read these articles on Big Mac. It's nice to hear he's lost weight. It's nice to hear his stats and then try to caculate what they would be for a whole season. But I know what I've seen for the past few years. I know it's a Passing league. The Steelers better hope it is Passing league every game they play because he is a liability in Run Defense. With a year older Foote and Worlids replacing Harrison, the Run Defense has already suffered. Throw in a NT that struggles against the Run and it could be problematic.

I disagree about height being a hindrance. If you look at history and the better NTs have been at least 6'3 and taller. Sam Adams, Tony Siragusa, Russel Maryland, Albert Haynesworth (younger version), Bryant Young, Cortez Kennedy, Joel Steed, Dan Wilkinson, Ted Washington, etc.... Since most teams constantly pass the ball, many are going with smaller NTs.

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: