Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Larry Johnson revisited...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chiefs82

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Larry Johnson revisited... Reply with quote

Watching this clip, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dvilGNlpqg&feature=youtube_gdata_player made me remember how dominant he was.

1) how good was he?
2)how good could/should he have been?

2014 Adopt-A-Chief: #50 Justin Houston, OLB
Tackles:0/TFL:0/Sacks:0/FF:0/FR:0
samsel23

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) He was physically almost at AP level, didn't have the lateral agility and AP but his speed and power were at his level.

2) Well he should have been great. I think Herm running him into the ground and LJ just being LJ ruined his career.

3) My god I miss that OL, just watch that video and count how many times you see 2-3 lineman 10 yards down the field. Wait, count how many times you don't, that'll be easier.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone see a comparison between him and Arian Foster?

also, anyone could have ran behind that oline...i think i might be able to lol

Props to LOTO on the sig.
onejayhawk

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was counting how many times he was past the LOS before being touched.

One thing I have to give Haley credit, he did not overuse JC.

J

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AH my boy LJ Mr. Green

Shame that he let money get the best of him Think

Although we having Roaf and Shields retire, I think if he would have some how stayed grounded then he def could have been a force. imagine both him and Jamaal Charles both playing their best football? I think Charles would have eventually taken over around the time we signed Thomas Jones as the number 1 back. Having LJ spell Charles would have been better than having Thomas Jones in my oppinion.

The reason why I think Charles would have taken over because our line was decent but I feel that given Jamaal Charles' abilities, he was able to make our line better. Having someone that can't move like Charles would have slowed our running game tremendously.
Mongo

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game LJ had versus Cincinnati in - Vermeilís last game as coach was one of the greatest performances Iíve ever seen by any RB, ever. He definitely had his career cut short by overuse. Plus he was just such a jerk, dating back to his PSU days.

Had he been used judiciously, who knows what his career might have been?

The sad fact is this: The Chiefs didnít really need him when he was drafted. He was insurance versus a Priest Holmes holdout and injury recovery. They were in dire need of defense. Carl Peterson pulled a draft day trade down that year with Pittsburgh. In addition to getting fleeced on compensation and neglecting the defense, the Chiefs missed on a sure-fire Hall of Famer.

Who did Pittsburgh pick with the R1 acquired from KC? A small safety from USC named Troy Polamalu. Ah, what mightíve been.
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Larry Johnson revisited... Reply with quote

chiefs82 wrote:
Watching this clip, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dvilGNlpqg&feature=youtube_gdata_player made me remember how dominant he was.

1) how good was he?

Arrow Not exactly a complete product of his OL

Arrow Lots of duplicate Bengal highlites

Arrow that catch and run TD on the sidelines vs SD was special

Arrow No, he didn't have the speed of AD, that's crazy talk...

Arrow a better runner than Shaun Alexander, maybe on level with Steven Jackson

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
omar72587

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Larry Johnson revisited... Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
chiefs82 wrote:

1) how good was he?

Arrow Not exactly a complete product of his OL

Arrow Lots of duplicate Bengal highlites

Arrow that catch and run TD on the sidelines vs SD was special

Arrow No, he didn't have the speed of AD, that's crazy talk...

Arrow a better runner than Shaun Alexander, maybe on level with Steven Jackson

My favorite run of him was when we played the 49ers. He took a handoff up the middle and was immediately hit in the back field by 2 300+lb lineman. He literally threw them off of him and ran down the sideline for about 15 yards after that kind of contact in the back field.

The man really could have been a great one.
shanekc88

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: true Reply with quote

I dont think i have seen a Line as dominate as that. Frustrating how we could not win a playoff game back when you had a great QB and offense yet no defense. I remember that draft day.. I will always remember LJ and his jump on the goaline to beat oakland ( I'm sure it was Oakland, or San Diego) as much as i liked LJ I loved Priest Holmes.
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onejayhawk wrote:

J

I'm six plays in, and five of him he was untouched before the LOS. On the 6th, he ran into Willie Roaf Laughing

This should not diminish LJ's talent though, mind you. Guy's power/speed combination was absolutely stellar. His top speed was shocking considering many saw him as a power back.

Favorite play in all this for me was the reverse field against Cincy. Not because of LJ's run, which was great, but because of Trent freaking Green throwing a block out there.

I'm convinced Willie Roaf coming around the left side must be one of the most terrifying sights for a defender. If you're a DB....just...what do you do to that? Just imagine Charles turning the corner behind Brian Waters and Willie Roaf.

Adopt-a-Chief: Travis "Better Than Tony Moeaki" Kelce
Pre-Season: 5 receptions, 132 yards, 2 TDs
brawl.kc

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my personal opinion, if he turned even 1/10th of his anger into passion for the game, he could've been one of the best ever. He was a student, he was knowledgeable, but without heart you're nothing. He had everything but, and its sad as hell.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brawl.kc wrote:
In my personal opinion, if he turned even 1/10th of his anger into passion for the game, he could've been one of the best ever. He was a student, he was knowledgeable, but without heart you're nothing. He had everything but, and its sad as hell.

Well said, in his short prime he looked like a man amongst boys. There were times he reminded me of clips I had seen of Jim Brown. Far too fast to be that big.
Mongo

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakuvious wrote:
onejayhawk wrote:

J

I'm six plays in, and five of him he was untouched before the LOS. On the 6th, he ran into Willie Roaf Laughing

This should not diminish LJ's talent though, mind you. Guy's power/speed combination was absolutely stellar. His top speed was shocking considering many saw him as a power back.

Favorite play in all this for me was the reverse field against Cincy. Not because of LJ's run, which was great, but because of Trent freaking Green throwing a block out there.

I'm convinced Willie Roaf coming around the left side must be one of the most terrifying sights for a defender. If you're a DB....just...what do you do to that? Just imagine Charles turning the corner behind Brian Waters and Willie Roaf.

And Will Shields pulling in front of him!
Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember him juking DJ Williams out of his shoes on Thanksgiving? I was at that game, that was awesome.

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
starbarkc

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I cried with joy at a game was when Green hit Larry at the end of a game at Arrowhead against the Raiders. The receivers all went on streaks with the D playing prevent so the middle was open. Larry was the release up the middle and Trent dumped it off. He ran down to the goal line and we called a time out. The next play we punched it in for the win in a game where we had a lead and should have won, but the refs tried to give it away (as usual). It was glorious.

I will never forget the forlorn Raiders team sulking into the tunnel. Then the refs had to call them back for the mandatory pat. Kerry Collins ended up lining up just to get 11 guys on the line, even though the rest of the Raiders team was strewn in pause across the field waiting to head into the tunnel.

My second favorite memory of a game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: