Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Are we better than the 49ers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polaris

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice, detailed analysis. I agree with everything you've said about how it's probable some of the key pieces for SF are unlikely to improve this year.

I like to paint with the big brush, and I look at two key points:

1) SF had the best luck with injuries in the league last year, and the Packers had the worst. It is unlikely that SF will be as lucky this year, or that we'll be as unlucky. That, alone, with no other considerations, would point to the Packers closing the gap.

2) The Curse of the Super Bowl Loser. Teams that lose the Super Bowl almost always have a difficult season the following year. They're the conference champs and everybody is gunning for them every week. They've got a serious challenger in their own division in Seattle.

Those are the two big reasons why I think there's an excellent chance the Packers will pass the 49ers up this year.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

To me, it always comes down to the division. Win the division. Now, the Packers have a team in their division that made the playoffs last year, a team that narrowly missed the playoffs and fired their coach, and one of the more talented teams in the league that always seems close to implosion but still has the talent to be considered a playoff contender. We were 5-1 in our division last year and if we can duplicate that we'll be in business again this year.

The Vikings had very good success running the ball against us last year, and IMO, the offseason question isn't "Are we better than the 49ers?", it's "What are we doing about the Vikings?"

Ponder might be better this year. His receiving corps, if healthy, could be better. Peterson is unlikely to be as good as last year but will still probably be pretty good. The Viking defense iimproved from really bad in 2011 to average in 2012 and might actually be better this year.

You don't have to look to SF or the Giants; the challenge for Green Bay this year is taking care of business in our own division. My disdain for the Vikings is well known here, but that doesn't mean that I don't recognize a threat when I see one.
boratt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polaris wrote:

The Vikings had very good success running the ball against us last year, and IMO, the offseason question isn't "Are we better than the 49ers?", it's "What are we doing about the Vikings?"

Ponder might be better this year. His receiving corps, if healthy, could be better. Peterson is unlikely to be as good as last year but will still probably be pretty good. The Viking defense iimproved from really bad in 2011 to average in 2012 and might actually be better this year.

You don't have to look to SF or the Giants; the challenge for Green Bay this year is taking care of business in our own division. My disdain for the Vikings is well known here, but that doesn't mean that I don't recognize a threat when I see one.

Nice point. We have what looks like a brutal schedule. Winning the division is going to be hard. Winning division games is going to be hard.

sig courtesy of BrettFavre004. THANKS!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Page 16 of 16

Jump to: