Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Are we better than the 49ers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pollino14

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
pollino14 wrote:
Polaris wrote:
persiandud wrote:
Hawk in the Packer Hall lmao

While you are laughing, Hawk continues to inch up the lists of games played and tackles.

If he gets let in, any Packer with longevity should get in...

Take a look at the list. I think he has a good chance.

http://www.packers.com/lambeau-field/hall-of-fame/hall-of-famers.html

Wow, that's a long list... I've always been a stickler for who should be in The Hall of Fame and what not. Ahman Green/Clifton/Tauscher/KGB and Nick Collins deserves to be in before Hawk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all watch football and can make our own opinions.

With that said. A.j Hawk at times just flat out sucks. I would call him average to above average though. I would never call him underrated. For the 5th overall he definately dissapointed.

G.Harmon MLB #9
...Stop, You're Looking At Brilliance. G.G.T.G
Polaris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G Harmon wrote:

With that said. A.j Hawk at times just flat out sucks. I would call him average to above average though. I would never call him underrated. For the 5th overall he definately dissapointed.

As a Packer fan, I would never agree that any Packer "flat out sucks", certainly not one who is 'average to above average'.

The guy took a paycut to stay with the Packers. He always suits up and rarely misses practice. He's smart, is assignment sure, dependable and tough enough to stay in the lineup. I can see why people wouldn't want a guy like that on your team..... Rolling Eyes
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pollino14 wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
pollino14 wrote:
Polaris wrote:
persiandud wrote:

While you are laughing, Hawk continues to inch up the lists of games played and tackles.

Wow, that's a long list... I've always been a stickler for who should be in The Hall of Fame and what not. Ahman Green/Clifton/Tauscher/KGB and Nick Collins deserves to be in before Hawk

I am really not. This isn't Canton. If a guy is a fan favorite or even a contributor for a long time let him in. IMO, AJ Hawk has contributed just as much as recent inductees: Frank Winters, Marco Rivera and Gilbert Brown.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
Pugger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polaris wrote:
G Harmon wrote:

As a Packer fan, I would never agree that any Packer "flat out sucks", certainly not one who is 'average to above average'.

The guy took a paycut to stay with the Packers. He always suits up and rarely misses practice. He's smart, is assignment sure, dependable and tough enough to stay in the lineup. I can see why people wouldn't want a guy like that on your team..... Rolling Eyes

I'm guessing some people feel the way they do because of where he was drafted. You want a real game changer at that draft spot. Hawk is Steady Eddy but some think that's not good enough. Those folks should know not every first round draft pick is gonna be a HOFer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:

I'm guessing some people feel the way they do because of where he was drafted. You want a real game changer at that draft spot. Hawk is Steady Eddy but some think that's not good enough. Those folks should know not every first round draft pick is gonna be a HOFer.

It's really a combination of where he was drafted and how he's performed as of recently. This is a "what have you done for me lately" league and a lot of people think he's regressed big time. I think it's foolish to get all over Hawk and a lot of people really got ahead of themselves in their mock drafts this year trying to get rid of him. Kind of annoying.

On the other hand, we do need to be looking to the future and I'm thinking within the next year or so, we'll be looking for his replacement. I'm looking at our depth chart there and outside of Brad Jones, we've got a lot of young role player types, not a bonafide "Ted" LB...
TheGreatZepp

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polaris wrote:
G Harmon wrote:

Ahmad Carroll is/was the exception to the rule right?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if I made exceptions, Ahmad Carroll would be right at the top of the list. So would Cletidus Hunt. A couple others come to mind. But if you start making exceptions you find yourself on a slippery slope. Let's just say that I was happy Ahmad Carroll was a Packer and I was even happier when he wasn't.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXx

Man, you started me thinking. Mossy Cade. Jude Waddy. Hardly Worthanickelson. T Bucks.

As being a teacher taught me, every kid is lovable. You just have to work harder at it with some. Razz
Pugger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polaris wrote:
Well, if I made exceptions, Ahmad Carroll would be right at the top of the list. So would Cletidus Hunt. A couple others come to mind. But if you start making exceptions you find yourself on a slippery slope. Let's just say that I was happy Ahmad Carroll was a Packer and I was even happier when he wasn't.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXx

Man, you started me thinking. Mossy Cade. Jude Waddy. Hardly Worthanickelson. T Bucks.

As being a teacher taught me, every kid is lovable. You just have to work harder at it with some. Razz

Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pollino14 wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
pollino14 wrote:
Polaris wrote:
persiandud wrote:

KGB will be at least,

http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/sports/packers_and_nfl/green-bay-packers-hall-of-fame-inducting-kabeer-gbaja-biamila-to-be-enshrined-in-packers-hall-of-fame

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just re watched most of the SF/GB playoff game.
It was a lot closer than i remember. Errors on both sides.
Crabtree and Moss made a large number of plays.
Woodson and Eric Walden getting burned.
James Jones beast.

GBPACKMAN4LIFE

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer the question: no. We were handily beat in each game. We're not better than them until we prove it.

vikingsrule wrote:
Offense (Air Coryell):

QB - Matt Cassel
Polaris

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBPACKMAN4LIFE wrote:
To answer the question: no. We were handily beat in each game. We're not better than them until we prove it.

That's not answering the question. That's the answer to the question "Were we better than the 49ers last year?"

I look at the changes each team has undergone, factor in things such as it being unlikely that the Packers and 49ers will finish first and last , respectively, in the number of player/games lost to injury, and I think it's entirely possible that we've passed them.

The 49er playoff game swung on several big plays where better play by a few defenders would have made a difference. I think we've addressed those areas. We still have a better QB and a better passing attack and this is still a passing league.

I'm very optimistic about the Packers chances this year.
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a best of 7 series we would beat them twice. The keys being stopping Kaepernick and having an effective run game. Easier said than done. Just hope to stay away from them.

I WANT the Giants though. I think we stack up much better than we did.
boratt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year the 49ers were a slightly better team than the Green Bay Packers IMO. From there, I'll talk about how they change in 2013.

Justin Smith is 34 years old (the 5th oldest DL in the NFL.) I think he's their defensive MVP, is coming of an injury and he's old. I expect a drop off in 2013, similar to the way Woodson dropped off after the 2010 season.

Dashon Gholston was one the top 2 or 3 FS's in the NFL last season. He's gone via free agency. In steps a highly drafted rookie. I expect a significant drop off from their FS in 2013.

Frank Gore is 30 years old at a position where most players drop off after 30. I expect a drop off from their most consistent offensive player. He's been injured a lot through his career already and now he's 30.

Michael Crabtree is their best offensive weapon. He's out for several games to start the season and when he does come back, it will probably take him some time to get into shape and into a rhythm with CK. I see this as a drop off.

Their defense featured two starting players under the age of 27 last season (Aldon Smith and Navarro Bowman) and three players over 30 (J Smith, their NT and Carlos Rogers.) As a whole, I expect there to be as much or more drop off with age as there is improvement from youth.

Their offense, again loaded with players in their prime. CK is going to be better. After that, injuries to a roster that was extremely lucky in 2012 can only hurt.

The Packers on the other hand are quite the opposite. They were loaded with young players starting in 2012. They had many injuries. They already lost Jennings and Woodson to injuries last year. Driver was lost to age already. Nobody has aged off the map or even looks to be aging off the map. There are a lot of players either entering their primes or at points where their quality of play is continually getting better.

CK is a big piece for them, and the only real reason to think the 49ers could be better in 2013. That said, he'll be missing his best passing weapon from 2012 and will have to play a full season with teams ready for his game, not to mention a full season getting hit. He took the league by surprise in 2012. He will not have the luxury to do that twice. Now he has to raise his game, prove he can last a whole season and go against defenses who've planned to stop him.

The Packers look to be hitting another peak in their window to win a championship or three. I look at the 49ers and Packers as two elite teams in the NFL. The Packers have eaten some big losses over the last two seasons (Collins, Woodson, Driver, Jennings) but look to be hitting a nice run of talent growth. The 49ers seem to be losing some key 30+ players this year or very soon *injury/age* (J Smith, F Gore and several other places *11 players over 30 to the Packers 4*)

If we're discussing last year, I do think the 49ers were the better team. In 2013, I see the Packers as a young, dominant team on the upswing. I see the 49ers as team with a lot of long-term pieces, some growth pieces, but also a lot of aging pieces. While they do have a similar long-term elite look to them (coaching/talent/salary cap/front office) they do appear to be running into a lul with losing talent. I think the Packers are the better team in 2013 as they have more things going their way heading into the season. We'll have to revisit this in January Wink

sig courtesy of BrettFavre004. THANKS!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: