Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is Mikel Leshoure on a short leash?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YlionsY

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why LeShoure would be on a short leash unless there are some locker room/off the field issues. LeShoure is was coming off a major injury and suspension and still had a relatively successful "rookie" year.

I'm pretty excited about the tandem of Bush/LeShoure with Bell being a versatile 3rd RB.

Riddick was a nice option for the choice we had. Can play a variety of positions and has a little talent. I don't see Riddick as anything but a 4th down back playing some receiver, doing some blocking, and making plays on ST but given Leshoures injury history and Bush has a little bit of one too I bet Riddick is more insurance against that rather than any struggles.
dmudd

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he is fine right now. im more curious to why he isnt participating in ota's. Shwartz said he is battling some things. Achilles still hurting?
WillParks

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just heard Tim Twentyman say in an interview that our offense only faced 8 defenders in he box on 1.8 percent of our plays. Our o-line may have been poor run-blockers but I think Leshoure could have been somewhat more productive.
Jrugges

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillParks wrote:
I just heard Tim Twentyman say in an interview that our offense only faced 8 defenders in he box on 1.8 percent of our plays. Our o-line may have been poor run-blockers but I think Leshoure could have been somewhat more productive.

????? The proof was in the pudding with your stat? The line can't block there guys so why stack the box? Much better for the defense to cover move players/space.

I'm with Diehard. Hopefully we have an effective running game this year. We got Warford who imo is studdly, but we've also still have Riaola who I personally thinks been apart of the problem for many years and not the solution.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillParks wrote:

That is skewed IMO. If you go back and break it down I bet the 1.8% was probably a bit close to 100% of time they ran. Laughing

The offense was so predictable that everytime they ran it was obvious running play. Not hard for defense to be prepared.

Adding Bush should open that up some more.

There is no small coincidence Detroit on 9 out of last 10 games Best was in. Offense was tougher to defend

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
WillParks wrote:

That is skewed IMO. If you go back and break it down I bet the 1.8% was probably a bit close to 100% of time they ran. Laughing

The offense was so predictable that everytime they ran it was obvious running play. Not hard for defense to be prepared.

Adding Bush should open that up some more.

There is no small coincidence Detroit on 9 out of last 10 games Best was in. Offense was tougher to defend

Agreed. We weren't able to mix it up because we lacked that dual-threat RB

Said the day after the Thanksgiving game.
NationalChamp06

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
I just hope for a change the Lions find a way to have an effective running game.

Its called having a better offensive line.

80% of our offensive plays last year we had 7 or less defensman in the box to try to slow down our passing attack....

If our 5 guys cant block the 5 guys they are assigned to then we have an issue.

LeShoure i feel like can be a solid RB but to many times. Peterman got beat on the backside and Dom let a DT push him in the backfield into the RB.

We need improvement upfront. I hope Warford can really help out with his to get a push up front.

Also I pray that Reiff is our guy we have been looking for at LT

we still need to find our RT and a new OC. Dom is good at making all the calls BUT he hasent been able to anchor the middle of our line.

Warford and Reiff can be upgrades but we need more then 2 solid Olineman out of 5 positions.
detroitroar

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
detroitroar wrote:
I think Leshoure is the most gifted back we have; even more so than Bush.

He has displayed his combination of power/acceleration/cutting ability that we all saw in college.

Unfortunately, his vision has been terrible. That is something that is very fixable though. We'll see.

He is nowhere near the receiver that Bush and Riddick is.

He may be the most gifted runner but he is far from most gifted RB

Leshoure has shown to be a very good receiver. And even if Bush is better, that doesnt make him more gifted.

Receiving is important, but running ability is the most important aspect of being a RB.

2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Joe Lombardi
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: James Ihedigbo
detfan782004

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detroitroar wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
detroitroar wrote:
I think Leshoure is the most gifted back we have; even more so than Bush.

He has displayed his combination of power/acceleration/cutting ability that we all saw in college.

Unfortunately, his vision has been terrible. That is something that is very fixable though. We'll see.

He is nowhere near the receiver that Bush and Riddick is.

He may be the most gifted runner but he is far from most gifted RB

Leshoure has shown to be a very good receiver. And even if Bush is better, that doesnt make him more gifted.

Receiving is important, but running ability is the most important aspect of being a RB.

Bush is a great receiver. Leshoure has proven adequate. Night and day. That is like saying Willie Young has proven to be as good as Avril

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NationalChamp06 wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
I just hope for a change the Lions find a way to have an effective running game.

Its called having a better offensive line.

80% of our offensive plays last year we had 7 or less defensman in the box to try to slow down our passing attack....

If our 5 guys cant block the 5 guys they are assigned to then we have an issue.

LeShoure i feel like can be a solid RB but to many times. Peterman got beat on the backside and Dom let a DT push him in the backfield into the RB.

We need improvement upfront. I hope Warford can really help out with his to get a push up front.

Also I pray that Reiff is our guy we have been looking for at LT

we still need to find our RT and a new OC. Dom is good at making all the calls BUT he hasent been able to anchor the middle of our line.

Warford and Reiff can be upgrades but we need more then 2 solid Olineman out of 5 positions.

You get no argument from me.

My whole belief is you build a team inside out, front to back and in the Lions case they have a long history of putting the cart before the horse.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
nagahide13

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blah.

Is he on a short leash? Yes. Absolutely.

Is he in danger of getting cut? No. Absolutely not.

Before I start bashing, I'll just say that he has a good reason for his performance last year. A torn Achilles can take years to fully recover from, if the athlete ever fully recovers.

But lets be realistic here. He was flat out terrible. He only had 3 fumbles, but they all seemed to be at absolutely terrible times in extremely clutch situations. He didn't fumble once in college, so that sort of stuck out a little bit to me.

He had no power. He had no speed. He had no burst. He had no vision.

He averaged 3.7 a carry. His longest run on the season was 15 yards.

The guy was flat out miserable, and I'm confused as to why anyone thinks differently.

Obviously we can't just look at Bell's performance as a backup and anoint him the starter... But LeShoure was an absolutely terrible starter, and Bell is a better backup than LeShoure would have been.

Think about this... LeShoure was the only back in the league with more than 100 carries that didn't break off a single run of 20+ yards. Bell had 3.

Even worse? Despite getting significantly more carries than Bell, LeShoure broke 13 tackles all year. Bell broke 26. On average, Bell gained almost a full yard more after contact.

That's flat out disgusting.
WillParks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="nagahide13"]Blah.

Before I start bashing, I'll just say that he has a good reason for his performance last year. A torn Achilles can take years to fully recover from, if the athlete ever fully recovers.

But lets be realistic here. He was flat out terrible. He only had 3 fumbles, but they all seemed to be at absolutely terrible times in extremely clutch situations. He didn't fumble once in college, so that sort of stuck out a little bit to me.

The guy was flat out miserable, and I'm confused as to why anyone thinks differently.

Obviously we can't just look at Bell's performance as a backup and anoint him the starter... But LeShoure was an absolutely terrible starter, and Bell is a better backup than LeShoure would have been.

Think about this... LeShoure was the only back in the league with more than 100 carries that didn't break off a single run of 20+ yards. Bell had 3.

Even worse? Despite getting significantly more carries than Bell, LeShoure broke 13 tackles all year. Bell broke 26. On average, Bell gained almost a full yard more after contact.

That's flat out disgusting.[/quote]

You described his performance better than I did in my original post. I hope I am wrong and we end up with a lot of quality depth at RB but unless Leshoure starts flashing in mini-camp, training camp and pre-season I don't see how the Lions can justify keeping him.
BlackandBlue

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nagahide13 wrote:
Blah.

Pretty much agreed on all points. If he was, say, an UDFA instead of a second round pick NO ONE would be considering him as a potential starting back.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackandBlue wrote:
nagahide13 wrote:
Blah.

Pretty much agreed on all points. If he was, say, an UDFA instead of a second round pick NO ONE would be considering him as a potential starting back.

But the fact that he was talented enough to take in the 2rd and is still recovering from a major injury suggests the Lions will hold onto him at least through his first contract to see if he pans out.
stylish313

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
BlackandBlue wrote:
nagahide13 wrote:
Blah.

But the fact that he was talented enough to take in the 2rd and is still recovering from a major injury suggests the Lions will hold onto him at least through his first contract to see if he pans out.
Fact.

Naga pretty much summed up Leshoure's season, although I disagree with the broken tackle statistics. Seemed to me he had more than 13 broken tackles on his 9 TD runs alone.

I think he could still find a valuable niche being a red zone runner for us. It can't be ignored how well he ran with his eyes on the end zone. If he recovers more from that achilles, he could still be even more than that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: