Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is Mikel Leshoure on a short leash?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WillParks

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Is Mikel Leshoure on a short leash? Reply with quote

I thought our RB situation was fairly settled before the draft. We had Reggie Bush, Mikel Leshoure and Joique Bell on the roster. The we drafted Theo Riddick. What does this mean for the RB position going forward?

Signing Reggie Bush was huge for us and gave us a real home run threat. Joique Bell played pretty well and in some ways out-played Mikel Leshoure. I heard Leshoure had some nagging injuries last year and maybe that partly explains his lackluster performance. He didn't show the power I expected for a bigger RB. Bell and Leshoure have a similar running style.

Did the Lions draft Riddick to be an insurance policy in-case Leshoure struggles again? Thoughts?
detfan782004

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the versatility Riddick offers but he is a late round pick. I am high on him and got bashed for it post draft. I think he has a chance to stick

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/article-1/Theo-Riddick-has-already-begun-to-show-the-value-of-his-versatility/52c1ea1e-9f12-4069-b380-1c3d99f5bd85

However I think his versatile side might cost someone else a roster spot. Carry 4 RB because he can play ST, return and play WR some.

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
I love the versatility Riddick offers but he is a late round pick. I am high on him and got bashed for it post draft. I think he has a chance to stick

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/article-1/Theo-Riddick-has-already-begun-to-show-the-value-of-his-versatility/52c1ea1e-9f12-4069-b380-1c3d99f5bd85

However I think his versatile side might cost someone else a roster spot. Carry 4 RB because he can play ST, return and play WR some.
We used Logan as the 4th "RB" last year, so he'll likely take his spot. He won't take anyones spot other than Logan's.
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
detfan782004

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:

We used Logan as the 4th "RB" last year, so he'll likely take his spot. He won't take anyones spot other than Logan's.

I would not be a certain as you are about that.

Quote:
5/8/2013: Signed a four-year, $2.25 million contract. The deal included a $91,000 signing bonus.

His contract suggests he has a chance to take several.

The list of guys roster spot I think he could take are

Austin
Bartell
Durham
Robiskie
Wendling

just to name a few.

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
stylish313

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bell won't be here past this season most likely, but it all depends on how Leshoure rebounds this season.
Jrugges

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Riddick selection has me puzzled honeslty. I don't think he's better than either Leshoure/Bell. We'll see though, but personally I'm not convinced Riddick is much of anything or any better than either Bell/Leshoure. Bell might not be here anyways next year do to wanting a bigger contract. I'm going to wait and see what happens though with Riddick before I throw up my hands and say what the heck kind of pick is that(even if it was a later round selection.)
detfan782004

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jrugges wrote:
The Riddick selection has me puzzled honeslty. I don't think he's better than either Leshoure/Bell. We'll see though, but personally I'm not convinced Riddick is much of anything or any better than either Bell/Leshoure. Bell might not be here anyways next year do to wanting a bigger contract. I'm going to wait and see what happens though with Riddick before I throw up my hands and say what the heck kind of pick is that(even if it was a later round selection.)

May not be better right now but easily more versatile. You won't see Leshoure in slot or returning

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
Jrugges wrote:

May not be better right now but easily more versatile. You won't see Leshoure in slot or returning
Yeah, Riddicks value comes in pretty much everything except for running. He is an outstanding receiver, plays many positions, and is probably a good blocker.
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
detfan782004

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
Jrugges wrote:

Yeah, Riddicks value comes in pretty much everything except for running. He is an outstanding receiver, plays many positions, and is probably a good blocker.

Yea everything seems like with Reggie being starting RB (part of reason he signed) is that LeShoure/Bell to be short yardage/Goaline. Riddick to be more of a 3rd down back/slot guy.

Gives them a lot of options

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why in the world would LeShoure be on a short leash? Last season was his first playing, and he produced. He wasn't an all-star by any stretch, but he produced. Adding in Reggie Bush for the Jahvid Best role we envisioned LeShoure complimenting, and subsequently adding an insurance player in Reddick in case of injury (god forbid) does absolutely nothing but assure me that the Lions are focused on producing a run game and LeShoure plays a big part in that. Confused
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope for a change the Lions find a way to have an effective running game.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Friend wrote:
Why in the world would LeShoure be on a short leash? Last season was his first playing, and he produced. He wasn't an all-star by any stretch, but he produced. Adding in Reggie Bush for the Jahvid Best role we envisioned LeShoure complimenting, and subsequently adding an insurance player in Reddick in case of injury (god forbid) does absolutely nothing but assure me that the Lions are focused on producing a run game and LeShoure plays a big part in that. Confused

I agree with this, to some extent. I think all our RBs are on a short leash. I'm not counting on Reddick being a big threat at RB but he could be. Adding Bush to Bell and Leshoure only makes the backfield more crowded. I think aside from Bush, there will be limited touches, and if one isn't producing, then the other or Bush will see more carries. Competition is a good thing though, and hopefully it makes all of them better.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
detroitroar

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Leshoure is the most gifted back we have; even more so than Bush.

He has displayed his combination of power/acceleration/cutting ability that we all saw in college.

Unfortunately, his vision has been terrible. That is something that is very fixable though. We'll see.

2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Joe Lombardi
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: James Ihedigbo
detfan782004

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

detroitroar wrote:
I think Leshoure is the most gifted back we have; even more so than Bush.

He has displayed his combination of power/acceleration/cutting ability that we all saw in college.

Unfortunately, his vision has been terrible. That is something that is very fixable though. We'll see.

He is nowhere near the receiver that Bush and Riddick is.

He may be the most gifted runner but he is far from most gifted RB

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
andjordand

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Is Mikel Leshoure on a short leash? Reply with quote

[quote="WillParks"]He didn't show the power I expected for a bigger back.[/quote]

Is this for real?

Maybe you didn't hear that he tore his Achilles tendon, an injury that 5-10 years ago was a career-ender. I'm just happy he was even able to make it through the whole season last year. He sat on the sidelines most of last years training camp, unable to take full-speed reps until the preseason. I think LeShoure is still fully capable of being a bruiser, and justifying his draft selection. He needs to put the physical and mental aspects of the game under the same offseason. Unfortunately, Linehan's habit of being in shotgun formation 80% of the time telegraphs which hole the short-yardage ball carrier is going to hit. For LeShoure to succeed in this offense the o-line needs to learn how to run a draw play.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: