Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

It's August 2012 and The Ravens Sign Flacco to a 5 year $85

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alfalcone

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: It's August 2012 and The Ravens Sign Flacco to a 5 year $85 Reply with quote

Million deal. How do you react?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/ravens/2013/05/26/joe-flacco-contract-never-seen-a-dumber-move-joe-linta/2361599/

I for one would have flipped out. It was far more what I thought Flacco was worth at the time, and I thought the Ravens would be risking being stuck in the NFL'd upper middle class for the next 6 years.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely delighted.

The only time I've ever doubted Joe was in that stretch last season, which incorporated the Houston, Pittsburgh and Denver games. Other than that, I had always believed he was the man to lead this team.

$17million would have been a price I could more than live with, even back then. He was fresh off outplaying Tom Brady in the AFC Championship Game, where he was a dropped pass away from taking the Ravens to the Super Bowl, and even the most bitter and blinkered of the NFL and ESPN pundits were being forced to admit that, 'hey, maybe he's not so bad'.

The thing that always baffles me is, what exactly would be wrong with having a QB who is "upper middle-class"? The point of being elite is, there aren't many of you. If everyone is elite, then no one is, and so only a handful of teams can have an elite QB. So not having one isn't exactly a crime against your fans, in my view.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't have been upset. I think I had him valued at about $14.5m... I probably would've been like how I am now with this deal. But FWIW, I think I like this deal better. Flacco isn't really getting paid all that much IMO. Like the article says, Flacco will be getting an extension- which will probably have him averaging about $19... Which in 2012 dollars probably will have cost as much as $16m.

And Linta seems awfully vitriolic here. Maybe he's upset that he didn't get a more sustainable contract? No idea, but certainly not a good look IMO.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy because I alway knew Joe Flacco was a beast. And I knew the Ravens would be getting a huge steal. And he would be locked up for the long term.

Ray Lewis wrote:
This it! This it, man! This is it! We goin' for a ring man!

Wise Old Man wrote:
Joe Flacco doesn't believe in miracles; miracles believe in Joe Flacco
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm content but think we slightly overpaid -- I would have liked to have seen what he can do with Cam gone before we paid him that much money.

Another hypothetical:

Flacco signs a 6 year, $120.6m contract extension in August 2012. While the extension is worth an average of $20.1m/year, factoring in the last deal of his rookie contract, it's essentially a 7 year. $128.6m deal or $18.3m/year. How do you think the media/fans react when Flacco isn't the highest paid player in the league on average? We heard it when Rodgers signed his 5 year, $110 extension -- "He still had 2 years, $11m left on his deal, so really we got him for 7 years, $125m -- hell of a steal." Would we hear the same for Flacco moving into 2014? I'm sure it would have been "LOLOL overpaid!" at first, but after winning a SB MVP, where this off-season everyone screams he isn't worth more than $18.5m at the max, do they look at it differently? My guess is no because it's Joe Flacco -- he has to be doing something wrong.

PSA: If your 2015 mock has the Ravens taking a RB in round 1, you're doing it wrong.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ I'm not going to lie I'd be pretty upset if we had paid him that much going into last season. No way he deserved that much financial commitment. He earned that this post season run when he did something that hasn't been done since Joe Montana with an 11/0 touchdown to interception ratio. He earned it with the Mile High Miracle/The 'F' Bomb... and he earned it with a Super Bowl MVP.

The thing that makes me content with the current deal is the notion that he's not really getting paid as much as his contract states as he'll likely get some sort of extension that drastically lowers that cap hit and lower his current average.

But even with my somewhat contentedness towards this current deal, to have seen it go down just before the season would have been utter lunacy. Flacco, at that point in time, was not worth near that amount in my mind. That would have been an additional $4m to what I personally would have valued him at... I would have been upset until Flacco had proven his worth... and it's not like the season he had this regular season would have helped. The media would have only pressed even harder, the Ray Lewis retirement pressure would've only fallen more on him (because now he's getting paid absurd dough), and this team probably doesn't come together in the same way... and that might lead to not having a Super Bowl win in 2013.

And I think the media and opposing fans would have indeed had the right to laugh and criticize the front office for making such a deal. A year of stepping up his game and raising his value, can't be undervalued in this new deal and the current level of acceptance with it.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't change a thing. Butterfly effect. That Super Bowl run and everything that happened was worth the extra $. Wouldn't take it back because IDK what would have been.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcarey20 wrote:
Wouldn't change a thing. Butterfly effect. That Super Bowl run and everything that happened was worth the extra $. Wouldn't take it back because IDK what would have been.

Yup, that's the perfect term.

I agree with your entire statement. Keep everything the way it is. We have no way of knowing how that 16m/year contract would have been structured... and therefore it could've ended up doing more harm then good... and giving him this current deal, but earlier... could've done harm to the 2013 unit in some way.

I'm still really baffled as to why Linta would even make comments like this anyway. Flacco isn't his only player with the Ravens. I'm sure enough talk like this and Kyle Juice and Gino Gradkowski might feel the effects down the line via less guaranteed cash or something. You don't bite the hand that feeds you.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
^^^ I'm not going to lie I'd be pretty upset if we had paid him that much going into last season. No way he deserved that much financial commitment. He earned that this post season run when he did something that hasn't been done since Joe Montana with an 11/0 touchdown to interception ratio. He earned it with the Mile High Miracle/The 'F' Bomb... and he earned it with a Super Bowl MVP.

The thing that makes me content with the current deal is the notion that he's not really getting paid as much as his contract states as he'll likely get some sort of extension that drastically lowers that cap hit and lower his current average.

But even with my somewhat contentedness towards this current deal, to have seen it go down just before the season would have been utter lunacy. Flacco, at that point in time, was not worth near that amount in my mind. That would have been an additional $4m to what I personally would have valued him at... I would have been upset until Flacco had proven his worth... and it's not like the season he had this regular season would have helped. The media would have only pressed even harder, the Ray Lewis retirement pressure would've only fallen more on him (because now he's getting paid absurd dough), and this team probably doesn't come together in the same way... and that might lead to not having a Super Bowl win in 2013.

And I think the media and opposing fans would have indeed had the right to laugh and criticize the front office for making such a deal. A year of stepping up his game and raising his value, can't be undervalued in this new deal and the current level of acceptance with it.

No doubt -- I was more proposing it as a "hindsight" view (ie, what would the belief be after we gave him that extension and he came out and then won the SB MVP). But mostly, it was to show the skewed view of the media and fans -- that for certain players, when extensions are signed, fans like to lump in the final years of a contract + extension to lower the overall average and consider it a steal. But for Flacco, because he played that final year, it's taboo to include his final year and thus we laughably overpaid him. That was more the point I'm getting at -- if he signed that same extension a year earlier, prior to the SB MVP, it'd be laughed at hard at the time, but a year later, would people look at it as a 7 year, $18.3 average and say it's now a steal?

PSA: If your 2015 mock has the Ravens taking a RB in round 1, you're doing it wrong.
Conquest8089

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Article on it at RFsportsradio.com Agree with the points. Didn't know what we had in Flacco last offseason. Sure Joe Linta can say Vens were 'Dumb', but it's an Agent trying to gain notoriety.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy for us to sit here and say with a Superbowl victory that we'd all be jumping up and down and woulnd't be upset - however, if Joe gets paid does that mean he plays this season with a chip on his shoulder TRYING to get the big contract, or does he not play as hard konwing he just got paid? We don't know.

If this contract would've happened, I for one would have flipped out. Up to that point Flacco had done nothing to deserve that contract.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Easy for us to sit here and say with a Superbowl victory that we'd all be jumping up and down and woulnd't be upset - however, if Joe gets paid does that mean he plays this season with a chip on his shoulder TRYING to get the big contract, or does he not play as hard konwing he just got paid? We don't know.

If this contract would've happened, I for one would have flipped out. Up to that point Flacco had done nothing to deserve that contract.

Maybe not all of that money, but darn close to it. And if the difference between keeping a franchise QB and not keeping a franchise QB is roughly $1m/year, you suck it up and do it.

This would have been $17m/year, and he certainly played enough to warrant $16m (which is what we offered initially IIRC).

LRaven

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
I'm content but think we slightly overpaid -- I would have liked to have seen what he can do with Cam gone before we paid him that much money.
Then it's great he has like 3-4 years to show that huh

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: