Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Seahawks TE Anthony McCoy tears Achilles, Released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jrry32


Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 45643
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imani wrote:


Gave my reasoning in the bolded text. It draws the defense in, and opens up things over the top.


I just don't buy it. Don't think it would change the way the defense acts or aligns other than where the DB covering Harvin lines up.

Quote:
Obviously my subjective opinion, but not outside of the realm of any likelihood. He has more space coming out of the backfield than any other place he could line up.


More space? Yes. But a lot of that space is behind the LOS. In terms of space past the LOS, I'd say it's equal.

Quote:
Giving Wilson that he can dump it off to for 10-15 yards at any time is invaluable. His ability to explode up the middle or off tackle may be getting overlooked as well. My basis for all of this? All things we've tried to do with leon washington that were unsuccessful. Harvin made him obsolete in more than just the return game

I'm also not saying that we won't see him line up on the LOS the majority of the time, because that's definitely the case.


Eh, if you're dumping it off way short of the first down...I'll take my chances. It's likely Harvin is catching the ball further away from the first down from the back-field than from the slot.

And I just don't consider running a huge threat on 3rd and long.

Just my opinion, though.
_________________
The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
imani


Moderator
Joined: 03 Mar 2009
Posts: 27257
Location: Harlem, NY
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:
And I don't think we'll do that with Harvin, which is why it's funny your knowledge of football was put into question Laughing



my football knowledge was never put into question....

Point taken, i guess Neutral
_________________


wwhickok wrote:
I don't believe for one second that Seattle makes it out of their first playoff game.

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
SoS


Joined: 20 Apr 2013
Posts: 3553
Location: Sleepless in Seattle
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I'm hearing is a bunch of hypothetical situations where Harvin might be used in the backfield. Jrry and I aren't really arguing those for the most part, we're simply arguing the frequency at which Harvin will be there. It's really silly to think he'll be the 3DRB 25% of the time, or even anywhere close to that number.
_________________
DudeWhat?? wrote:
If I am a starting QB and my back up is Kellen Clemens..i would only have one question...."Turn up for what?"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SoS


Joined: 20 Apr 2013
Posts: 3553
Location: Sleepless in Seattle
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imani wrote:
SoS wrote:
And I don't think we'll do that with Harvin, which is why it's funny your knowledge of football was put into question Laughing



my football knowledge was never put into question....

Point taken, i guess Neutral


I was referring to sirensong's post about jrry.
_________________
DudeWhat?? wrote:
If I am a starting QB and my back up is Kellen Clemens..i would only have one question...."Turn up for what?"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrry32


Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 45643
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:
All I'm hearing is a bunch of hypothetical situations where Harvin might be used in the backfield. Jrry and I aren't really arguing those for the most part, we're simply arguing the frequency at which Harvin will be there. It's really silly to think he'll be the 3DRB 25% of the time, or even anywhere close to that number.


Pretty much. There are probably some plays and sets where they'll use it on occasion to throw defenses off...but I just think that Seattle won't want to have to sacrifice their ability to protect the QB from the HB position to have Harvin there often
_________________
The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
imani


Moderator
Joined: 03 Mar 2009
Posts: 27257
Location: Harlem, NY
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:
All I'm hearing is a bunch of hypothetical situations where Harvin might be used in the backfield. Jrry and I aren't really arguing those for the most part, we're simply arguing the frequency at which Harvin will be there. It's really silly to think he'll be the 3DRB 25% of the time, or even anywhere close to that number.


Again, it appears you may be confusing posts. It may have been hypothetical, but my posts have been geared towards the possibilities in where harvin could line up. The only frequency i've discussed is the discrepancy between 2 TE sets and Harvin lining up in the slot with 3+ Wrs
_________________


wwhickok wrote:
I don't believe for one second that Seattle makes it out of their first playoff game.

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
imani


Moderator
Joined: 03 Mar 2009
Posts: 27257
Location: Harlem, NY
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
SoS wrote:
All I'm hearing is a bunch of hypothetical situations where Harvin might be used in the backfield. Jrry and I aren't really arguing those for the most part, we're simply arguing the frequency at which Harvin will be there. It's really silly to think he'll be the 3DRB 25% of the time, or even anywhere close to that number.


Pretty much. There are probably some plays and sets where they'll use it on occasion to throw defenses off...but I just think that Seattle won't want to have to sacrifice their ability to protect the QB from the HB position to have Harvin there often


What I think makes that point moot, is the fact that lynch is the only serviceable pass protector we have at running back. One of the big reasons turbin didnt see the field more last year IMO, because his ability to spell lynch was clearly there.

Also keep seeing words like "frequent" and "often", yet nowhere have i said this should happen on a consistent basis.
_________________


wwhickok wrote:
I don't believe for one second that Seattle makes it out of their first playoff game.

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
jrry32


Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 45643
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imani wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
SoS wrote:
All I'm hearing is a bunch of hypothetical situations where Harvin might be used in the backfield. Jrry and I aren't really arguing those for the most part, we're simply arguing the frequency at which Harvin will be there. It's really silly to think he'll be the 3DRB 25% of the time, or even anywhere close to that number.


Pretty much. There are probably some plays and sets where they'll use it on occasion to throw defenses off...but I just think that Seattle won't want to have to sacrifice their ability to protect the QB from the HB position to have Harvin there often


What I think makes that point moot, is the fact that lynch is the only serviceable pass protector we have at running back. One of the big reasons turbin didnt see the field more last year IMO, because his ability to spell lynch was clearly there.

Also keep seeing words like "frequent" and "often", yet nowhere have i said this should happen on a consistent basis.


Fair enough. Now we can discuss how much damage Tavon Austin will do against Seattle's secondary. I don't think Tricky D!ck Sherman is ready for him. Wink
_________________
The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sirensong


Joined: 13 Mar 2007
Posts: 1143
Location: Vancouver BC
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:
All I'm hearing is a bunch of hypothetical situations where Harvin might be used in the backfield. Jrry and I aren't really arguing those for the most part, we're simply arguing the frequency at which Harvin will be there. It's really silly to think he'll be the 3DRB 25% of the time, or even anywhere close to that number.


It's silly because you don't think that it will happen? It's silly to think team with multiple 3rd down options in the slot might use a guy they've have said they will use at RB at the RB position... Or use one of the most dynamic players in football who is among the most skilled and versatile players in the game in a multitude of ways the maximize the impact he can have on a game?

Do you realize the damage a guy like Harvin could do in a read options? Or in a screen pass?

This is a guy who struggles to run clean routes, yet is being paid like atop WR in all of football. But accels at many different positions and changing the look of your O.

He's not being paid just to sit in the slot and be Wes Welker, you can see it in Pete's words and face from the 2nd we got Percy. They see him as a game changer they are going to use all over the field. They see an MVP candidate that can dominate when used efficiently and effectively.

Obviously he's taking most of his snaps at WR, but he will have a significant amount of snaps at RB. Probably more than he's ever had, and I was bringing up the impact he could have as a 3rd down RB a role he fits to a T. To call the idea silly is ignorant...

And if they we're so bloody worried about using a RB to protect the QB Lynch wouldn't be here because he's terrible at it. And obviously if you want to keep the back in to protect you don't put Harvin there. We're talking about 3 and 5+ type plays where your going to get creative to get the 1st down. Keeping a back into protect is far from the main concern there, making a play is and Percy is an elite playmaker and having him at RB is the easiest way to put the ball in his hands.
_________________
L.O.B.- D!CK, BOOM BOOM, ET, BB.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sirensong


Joined: 13 Mar 2007
Posts: 1143
Location: Vancouver BC
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
imani wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
SoS wrote:
All I'm hearing is a bunch of hypothetical situations where Harvin might be used in the backfield. Jrry and I aren't really arguing those for the most part, we're simply arguing the frequency at which Harvin will be there. It's really silly to think he'll be the 3DRB 25% of the time, or even anywhere close to that number.


Pretty much. There are probably some plays and sets where they'll use it on occasion to throw defenses off...but I just think that Seattle won't want to have to sacrifice their ability to protect the QB from the HB position to have Harvin there often


What I think makes that point moot, is the fact that lynch is the only serviceable pass protector we have at running back. One of the big reasons turbin didnt see the field more last year IMO, because his ability to spell lynch was clearly there.

Also keep seeing words like "frequent" and "often", yet nowhere have i said this should happen on a consistent basis.


Fair enough. Now we can discuss how much damage Tavon Austin will do against Seattle's secondary. I don't think Tricky D!ck Sherman is ready for him. Wink


Learn football. Sherm won't be covering Austin... Like ever... Austin is a slot receiver who tears up the middle of the field. That's why went out and got Winfield. And if they want to split Austin out and put him under Sherm oh lawdy please do... He'll get eaten up and made useless outside.
_________________
L.O.B.- D!CK, BOOM BOOM, ET, BB.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrry32


Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 45643
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with you. It is a concern. When you have a HB that can pass protect, it allows the QB flexibility in his pre-snap reads. If he reads blitz, he can call an audible to help him pick-up and exploit the blitz. If you don't have a HB in the back-field capable of doing that, it really limits what you can do in response to a blitz. You're basically going to have to get it out to your hot route as quick as possible or hope Wilson can escape.

I remember against SF, Patrick Willis came flying unblocked up the middle on Bradford's TD pass to Austin Pettis in the late 4th. Jackson was able to get to Willis in the nick of time to throw a shoulder into him to keep him from sacking Bradford. Here's the play:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000093408/Bradford-to-Pettis-for-the-lead

You lose that ability with Harvin. Yes, Harvin offers a lot out of the back-field...but imo, that is maximized on plays where he's a threat as a runner...on 3rd and long, his threat as a runner is minimized.
_________________
The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
imani


Moderator
Joined: 03 Mar 2009
Posts: 27257
Location: Harlem, NY
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
imani wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
SoS wrote:
All I'm hearing is a bunch of hypothetical situations where Harvin might be used in the backfield. Jrry and I aren't really arguing those for the most part, we're simply arguing the frequency at which Harvin will be there. It's really silly to think he'll be the 3DRB 25% of the time, or even anywhere close to that number.


Pretty much. There are probably some plays and sets where they'll use it on occasion to throw defenses off...but I just think that Seattle won't want to have to sacrifice their ability to protect the QB from the HB position to have Harvin there often


What I think makes that point moot, is the fact that lynch is the only serviceable pass protector we have at running back. One of the big reasons turbin didnt see the field more last year IMO, because his ability to spell lynch was clearly there.

Also keep seeing words like "frequent" and "often", yet nowhere have i said this should happen on a consistent basis.


Fair enough. Now we can discuss how much damage Tavon Austin will do against Seattle's secondary. I don't think Tricky D!ck Sherman is ready for him. Wink


I think Tavon's first concern is being head-level with D!ck Sherman's D!ck Sherman Wink
_________________


wwhickok wrote:
I don't believe for one second that Seattle makes it out of their first playoff game.

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
jrry32


Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 45643
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirensong wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
imani wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
SoS wrote:
All I'm hearing is a bunch of hypothetical situations where Harvin might be used in the backfield. Jrry and I aren't really arguing those for the most part, we're simply arguing the frequency at which Harvin will be there. It's really silly to think he'll be the 3DRB 25% of the time, or even anywhere close to that number.


Pretty much. There are probably some plays and sets where they'll use it on occasion to throw defenses off...but I just think that Seattle won't want to have to sacrifice their ability to protect the QB from the HB position to have Harvin there often


What I think makes that point moot, is the fact that lynch is the only serviceable pass protector we have at running back. One of the big reasons turbin didnt see the field more last year IMO, because his ability to spell lynch was clearly there.

Also keep seeing words like "frequent" and "often", yet nowhere have i said this should happen on a consistent basis.


Fair enough. Now we can discuss how much damage Tavon Austin will do against Seattle's secondary. I don't think Tricky D!ck Sherman is ready for him. Wink


Learn football. Sherm won't be covering Austin... Like ever... Austin is a slot receiver who tears up the middle of the field. That's why went out and got Winfield. And if they want to split Austin out and put him under Sherm oh lawdy please do... He'll get eaten up and made useless outside.


It was a joke dude. Hence the winking emoticon.

I wouldn't just assume he'll get eaten up either if he's outside. We saw what happened last year with Givens when Sherman doesn't get a good jam on a speedy WR. Razz

But I'll do my best to "learn football". Can you teach me? What do you do when Sherman is in ball technique with Earl Thomas aligned deep on the right hash(defense's perspective) in the Cover 1 with Chancellor lined up in the box on the left hash guarding the flats and the short middle with Brandon Browner pressing? The Seahawks are in their base 4-3 defense with no blitzers and all 3 LBs in man to man coverage.

What type of routes should I look to run? Where should I look to go with the ball?
_________________
The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrry32


Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 45643
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imani wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
imani wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
SoS wrote:
All I'm hearing is a bunch of hypothetical situations where Harvin might be used in the backfield. Jrry and I aren't really arguing those for the most part, we're simply arguing the frequency at which Harvin will be there. It's really silly to think he'll be the 3DRB 25% of the time, or even anywhere close to that number.


Pretty much. There are probably some plays and sets where they'll use it on occasion to throw defenses off...but I just think that Seattle won't want to have to sacrifice their ability to protect the QB from the HB position to have Harvin there often


What I think makes that point moot, is the fact that lynch is the only serviceable pass protector we have at running back. One of the big reasons turbin didnt see the field more last year IMO, because his ability to spell lynch was clearly there.

Also keep seeing words like "frequent" and "often", yet nowhere have i said this should happen on a consistent basis.


Fair enough. Now we can discuss how much damage Tavon Austin will do against Seattle's secondary. I don't think Tricky D!ck Sherman is ready for him. Wink


I think Tavon's first concern is being head-level with D!ck Sherman's D!ck Sherman Wink


That certainly is a concern. He's just lucky Goldberg doesn't play on Seattle's defense. Wink
_________________
The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
imani


Moderator
Joined: 03 Mar 2009
Posts: 27257
Location: Harlem, NY
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
imani wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
imani wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
SoS wrote:
All I'm hearing is a bunch of hypothetical situations where Harvin might be used in the backfield. Jrry and I aren't really arguing those for the most part, we're simply arguing the frequency at which Harvin will be there. It's really silly to think he'll be the 3DRB 25% of the time, or even anywhere close to that number.


Pretty much. There are probably some plays and sets where they'll use it on occasion to throw defenses off...but I just think that Seattle won't want to have to sacrifice their ability to protect the QB from the HB position to have Harvin there often


What I think makes that point moot, is the fact that lynch is the only serviceable pass protector we have at running back. One of the big reasons turbin didnt see the field more last year IMO, because his ability to spell lynch was clearly there.

Also keep seeing words like "frequent" and "often", yet nowhere have i said this should happen on a consistent basis.


Fair enough. Now we can discuss how much damage Tavon Austin will do against Seattle's secondary. I don't think Tricky D!ck Sherman is ready for him. Wink


I think Tavon's first concern is being head-level with D!ck Sherman's D!ck Sherman Wink


That certainly is a concern. He's just lucky Goldberg doesn't play on Seattle's defense. Wink


Laughing "You could just hit him over the head with that hammer"

Longest yard is hilarious
_________________


wwhickok wrote:
I don't believe for one second that Seattle makes it out of their first playoff game.

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group