Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Adopt-A-Rookie (and all rookie news)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imani

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If SoS doesn't get his lazy but in here, i'm giving him tharold simon....i know he'd probably take him anyhow

wwhickok wrote:
I don't believe for one second that Seattle makes it out of their first playoff game.

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
SoS

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you guys know I want my boy Tharold Simon! Mr. Green

Tharold Simon Day ya'll!
SoS

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
FOCUS ON

Tharold Simon. In case you haven’t noticed, Pete Carroll likes his cornerbacks tall, long and physical. And the Seahawks’ coach thinks he has found another one in Simon, a 6-foot-2, 202-pounder who was selected in the fifth round of the NFL Draft.

“He did a good job,” Carroll said during his minicamp wrap-up Q&A with the media. “He fits the profile of the big guys that we like. He’s long. He’s an aggressive kid. He has good savvy, can anticipate routes and things.
“By the time we get him to (training) camp, I would think he can compete with our guys. He looked kind of in the fashion of guys that we like.”

Today, Simon was working on the right side with the No. 1 defense – the spot where 6-4, 221-pound Brandon Browner has been the starter the past two seasons. Saturday, Simon got some snaps on the left side – where 6-3, 195-pound Richard Sherman developed into an All-Pro corner last season after moving into the starting lineup midway through his rookie season in 2011.

The incumbent backups are Walter Thurmond, Jeremy Lane, and Byron Maxwell – each a draft choice since Carroll arrived in 2010, as well as second-year pro DeShawn Shead.

http://blog.seahawks.com/2013/05/12/sunday-in-hawkville-tharold-simon-fitting-right-in/
imani

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seattle Seahawks Training Camp Profile: Chris Harper

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/06/02/seattle-seahawks-training-camp-profile-chris-harper/

Quote:
The Seattle Seahawks knew heading into 2013 that they needed to add some extra weapons to quarterback Russell Wilson’s arsenal.
They went out and traded for Percy Harvin, who will immediately add a dynamic quality to the offense. The Seahawks also spent a fourth-round pick on Chris Harper, a wide receiver from Kansas State who has the potential to be a difference-maker early on in his NFL career.
It didn’t take long for Harper to show that he could make an impact for the Seahawks. During the team’s rookie minicamp, the former Wildcat tore it up – albeit against subpar opponents. According to reports, he showed a keen ability to catch the football and impressed coaches in the process.
The only downside for Harper is that he’s buried on a wide receiver depth chart strewn with talent. Harvin and Sidney Rice are entrenched as the top two pass-catchers for the Seahawks, while Golden Tate should see plenty of time as the No. 3 receiver after a breakout season in 2012. Although Doug Baldwin suffered from a sophomore slump last year, his ability to change a game with his hands is undeniable.
Still, it’s hard to see the Seahawks letting Harper’s talents go to waste this season, even as a No. 5 receiver. He’s a big, strong, aggressive receiver with the speed and hands to complete the package. Throughout his time at Kansas State, he was also asked to block a lot, which helped him develop terrific blocking abilities.
If it wasn’t for the fact that he caught passes from a subpar quarterback in Collin Klein, Harper might have gone much higher than he did.
It’s going to be tough for Harper to crack the rotation considering the Seahawks’ depth at wide receiver. However, if he can prove during training camp that his talents shouldn’t be wasted on the bench, head coach Pete Carroll is smart enough to find ways to utilize him.
Harper is far from a sure thing, but the upside and physical tools are there for him to thrive in the NFL. We’ll see during training camp if the Seahawks can harness his potential and turn him into a contributor.

wwhickok wrote:
I don't believe for one second that Seattle makes it out of their first playoff game.

SoS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper is definitely my favorite rookie.
imani

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seahawks’ Spencer Ware, wherever he plays, promises to be physical

http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawks/2021155573_seahawks10xml.html

Quote:
RENTON – Spencer Ware isn’t sure where he fits with the Seahawks just yet.

Ware spent most of his college career as a tailback at Louisiana State before declaring for the draft after his junior season. The Seahawks then drafted Ware in the sixth round with the intention of grooming him as a fullback. He has also spent time on special teams.

But Ware makes a guarantee, regardless of where he plays.

“One thing I can tell them,” Ware said, “is they’re going to have a hard-nosed player, whichever one it is.”

Ware’s many hats are one of the reasons the Seahawks liked him in the first place. He could also represent an eye to the future. Michael Robinson, Seattle’s starting fullback, is only under contract through the end of this season.

Yet Ware’s biggest strength — his physicality — hasn’t been on display at rookie minicamp or organized team activities. That’s because the drills are mostly noncontact.

“I don’t think we’ll know about Spencer until you get him into pads because he is a very physical football player,” Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said. “Remember, we thought he was the toughest running back in college football last year, so we hope to see that when he carries the ball, as well as blocking.”

Ware had his best season as a sophomore, when he rushed for 707 yards and scored eight touchdowns. He was LSU’s workhorse back for much of that season, but his role changed dramatically after he was suspended for one game midway through the year (along with Tyrann Mathieu and current Seahawk Tharold Simon) for testing positive for synthetic marijuana.

He would never hold such a featured role again. He carried the ball more than 20 times in five of in his first seven games before the suspension. He never had more than 16 carries in the six games after. He rushed for 367 yards, fourth on the team, his final season.

That didn’t change the Seahawks’ perception of Ware as a versatile back. Ware is 5 feet 10 and 229 pounds and prides himself on his physical running style. He also caught at least 10 passes in each of his three seasons at LSU, and Carroll singled out his pass-catching as a strength.

On the day he was drafted by the Seahawks, Ware was asked the standard question of who he compares himself to.

“I want to say Marshawn Lynch, just how aggressive he is,” Ware said. “When he gets the ball in his hands, he seems like he’s angry, and that’s kind of how I feel when I get the ball. I feel like I let out some steam on someone else when the ball is in my hands.”

The question is, can he do the same when the ball isn’t in his hands? If he indeed transitions to the role of fullback, Ware will have to learn the nuances of a new position.

“As a physical runner, you run hard to break tackles and make people miss,” Ware said. “Fullback, you don’t want to miss. It’s more of just sizing your defender out and trying to dissect him, picking bits and parts of him as you work through the game and try to get him worn down.”

wwhickok wrote:

imani

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright guys, time to start bumping threads and getting active. We're now two days away. Gonna be non-stop news until late August, let's get this talk started

Be ready to represent your rookie

wwhickok wrote:

C-Hawkin'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alvin Bailey- the man who makes Jockomanino expendable. SOOOO-eee!
C-Hawkin'

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried many times to import a pic of Bailey for my avatar, but the system keeps saying the URL is invalid. Pic is from the 'Hawks home page. Can anyone help?
imani

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making the most of Zach Miller’s absence

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/article-1/Making-the-most-of-Zach-Miller%E2%80%99s-absence/2fac6438-3068-4361-8c4f-9a63c55b8f8c

Zach Miller has been conspicuous by his absence during the first three days of the Seahawks’ training camp.

Quote:
For starters, he is – the starting tight end, that is. Then there’s the unnerving fact that the other six tight ends on the 90-man roster have combined to start a total of zero NFL games, compared to 91 for Miller.

“There’s no question that Zach has established himself as a fantastic part of our football team,” coach Pete Carroll said after Saturday’s practice, the first with the players wearing shoulder pads. “This is not going to hurt his development at all. He’s really close to being back.”

With Miller sidelined by a sore foot, the coaches are getting a chance to not just look at but examine the less-experienced tight ends who are competing for the other two spots on the 53-man roster. Right?

“Sure, and I’ve got a lot of guys to look at,” tight ends coach Pat McPherson said.

At the head of the line are Luke Willson, who was selected in the fifth round of April’s NFL Draft; and Sean McGrath, who spent most of last season on the practice squad but was signed to the 53-man roster in December.

“It really does give Luke and Sean a chance to really be up in there with the No. 1 offense and do some good things and see if they can be the No. 2 and No. 3 guys for us,” McPherson said.

The competition had been for the No. 3 spot, but incumbent backup Anthony McCoy was lost when he ruptured an Achilles tendon during an OTA practice this offseason. So this extra work really is benefitting Willson and McGrath.

“Luke is continuing to progress,” McPherson said of the 6-foot5, 252-pound Willson. “He came back a little bigger, but with the same speed.”

And it was Willson’s speed that attracted the Seahawks, because he can provide an element that has been missing at the position.

“We’re only on our third day of install,” McPherson said of the seven-practice process of installing the offense to open camp. “So we need to get everything in to really take advantage of all the things that he can do.”

It’s doubtful that anyone worked harder in the offseason program than McGrath, who was signed as a rookie free agent last year. If want-to is any kind of a factor, McGrath will be around after the final roster cut.

“Sean has had a great offseason, he really has,” McPherson said. “He did a nice job in the spring. He’s a steady dude and he’ll catch the ball. But we’ve got to see him be real physical, too.”

And that won’t really happen for McGrath and Willson until the preseason games start on Aug. 8 with the opener in San Diego against the Chargers.

“You’ll be able to tell some stuff out here, like how they keep up mentally and how they run routes,” McPherson said. “But you really can’t know if a guy’s going to be that guy until he starts playing against other teams.”

The other tight ends, meanwhile, are also getting additional reps in practice as they try to move up the depth chart. Here’s McPherson’s take on each:

Michael Palmer (6-5, 252) – He was signed this week after playing the past three seasons with Atlanta Falcons. Palmer had 21 catches for 123 yards and three touchdowns while in Atlanta.

“He’s a pro. He’s learning the system really quick,” McPherson said. “He’s very smart, very accountable. And he seems like he’s a tough guy and knows how to play football. But he’s still learning the system.”

Cooper Helfet (6-3, 239) – He was in camp as a rookie free agent last summer and spent some time on the practice squad last season.

“Cooper does some good things,” McPherson said. “He missed most of the spring (with an injury), so he’s getting some needed reps.”

Darren Fells (6-7, 281) – A basketball player in college, Fells is trying to make the quantum leap from being an all-CIF tight end at Fullerton (Calif.) High School to becoming an NFL tight end.

“Let’s see what Darren Fells can do. Today is the first time he’s worn football pads (in a long time),” McPherson said. “He did fine today. But he’s 6-8, so he’s always going to be dealing with that. He’s got to be able to play low and get himself underneath a defender more. He’s athletic enough that he can do it, he’s just got to get used to doing it more.”

Victor Marshall (6-4, 225) – He did play college football, but as a wide receiver at the University of British Columbia. So Marshall is making a transition of a different kind.

“He’s got some growing pains getting into the physical part of it, just because he’s never really done it that way,” McPherson said. “But he put on some weight over the summer and he’s carrying it fine. He catches the ball fine. He runs great.”

Then there’s Miller, who has been there, done that. He is, not surprisingly, the best blocker of the group. He is a proven receiver, also no great shock because he had a pair of 60-plus catch seasons while with the Oakland Raiders before signing with the Seahawks as a free agent in 2011.

“Zach being out it is certainly giving guys a chance,” Carroll said. “It’s giving Luke a great shot. He’s getting first-team work every day, and the demands of that are great. But it’s good for him to have the heat on him a little bit.

“He’s pushing to get his stuff right and he’s doing a very nice job, too.”

wwhickok wrote:

imani

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEAHAWKS ROOKIE SPOTLIGHT: TE LUKE WILLSON AND WR CHRIS HARPER

http://firststopfantasy.com/nfl-teams/seattle-seahawks/seahawks-rookie-spotlight-te-luke-willson-and-wr-chris-harper/

Quote:
Luke Willson:

As a 5th round draft choice, Willson may have been a sleeper heading into camp, but with former backup TE Anthony McCoy tearing his Achilles tendon earlier this year and starting TE Zach Miller sitting out the start of training camp nursing an injury, he has certainly gotten his fair share of action with the first-team offense, and really has made the most of that opportunity so far.

But who is Luke Willson? For starters, the 6’5” 250 pound TE played 4 seasons at Rice, and was one of the team’s senior leaders despite battling injuries this past season. In his career, he racked up 986 yards on 78 catches, and hauled in 9 TDs. Last season, he was the Owls’ #2 TE behind Vance McDonald, who was drafted by the San Francisco 49ers in the 2nd round of this year’s NFL Draft.

Willson is a very athletic TE for his size. At Rice’s Pro Day, he posted fantastic 40-yard dash times of 4.57 and 4.46, obviously incredible given his 250-pound frame. He also posted 23 reps on the bench press, and had an astounding vertical leap of 38 inches. His 40-time, bench press, and vertical, as well as his 3-cone drill time, short shuttle time, and broad jump, would have all placed among the top 10 TEs at the NFL Draft Combine.

With Zach Miller absent from camp so far, Willson, along with second year TE Sean McGrath, has had a great opportunity to show what he can do with the first-team offense, and perhaps more importantly, against the Seahawks’ stout first-team defense. He’s made a few standout plays in practice already, making athletic catches on more than one occasion. With his size and speed, the Seahawks may have found a gem late in the draft this year in Willson, and he has a great opportunity to be the team’s second TE behind Miller in Week 1.

Chris Harper:

The Seahawks’ 4th round draft choice this year, Chris Harper is a big, physical receiver who figures to compete for the team’s fifth WR behind Percy Harvin, Sidney Rice, Golden Tate, and Doug Baldwin. But with Harvin, Rice, and Baldwin all known for their lack of durability at times, especially now with Harvin already dealing with a hip issue, Harper could make a significant impact at times this year.

Harper actually came out of high school as a QB, which is what he played for the first few weeks of his college career at Oregon before he and his coaches decided to move him to WR following a shoulder injury. After one season at Oregon, Harper transferred to Kansas State so he could be closer to his family in Wichita. Over the next 3 seasons, he became QB Collin Klein’s favorite target, hauling in 123 catches for 1734 yards and 12 TDs.

Standing at 6’1” and weighing 234 pounds, Harper is one of the tallest and by far the heaviest Seahawk WR, and as his 4.55 40-yard dash time shows, he isn’t slowed down much by his size either. He can be very difficult to cover at times due to this size-speed combination, and he isn’t easy to bring down once the ball is in his hands.

His very strong hands and athletic ability were on display in practice Sunday, when during a 2-minute drill, he made a great catch along the sidelines inside the 5-yard line after QB Russell Wilson had scrambled away from pressure. Going forward, Harper figures to make an impact on special teams and as one of the team’s key subs at WR, and it will be interesting to see how he grows as he learns the position at the NFL level.

wwhickok wrote:

imani

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesse Williams

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/article-1/Sunday-in-Hawkville-It-was-a-Beast-ly-productive-day-at-Seahawks-training-camp/e12898e4-236a-4a8b-a707-208beb994119

Quote:
ROOKIE WATCH: JESSE WILLIAMS
The fifth-round draft choice had what Carroll labeled "a really good day" in Friday's mock day.

At 325 pounds, the defensive tackle from Alabama and Australia brings an element the line needs after Alan Branch signed elsewhere in free agency – size and length at the three-technique spot.

"He really looked good," Carroll said. "That's the best he's looked, by far. He played very physical football and controlled the line of scrimmage well. He's a real smart kid, real smart football player. You can see the savvy that he has. He senses a lot of stuff.

"So this is a real exciting preseason for us, and for him. We want to see where he fits in."

Asked who else jumped out in the video review of Friday's mock game, Carroll listed cornerback Byron Maxwell, rookie running backs Christine Michael and Ware and rookie tight end Luke Willson.

wwhickok wrote:

imani

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie Luke Willson fits in at tight end for Seahawks

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2013/08/05/3129774/rookie-willson-fits-in-at-tight.html

Quote:
RENTON — A week into training camp, Seattle Seahawks fifth-round selection Luke Willson already looks more comfortable in the offense.

Just ask his position coach, tight ends coach Pat McPherson.

“He’s a sharp kid,” McPherson said. “He’s very vigilant in his studying, and just staying on top of everything mentally. He’s doing a great job out there. For a rookie, he’s been dynamite.”

Willson’s play also has caught the attention of quarterback Russell Wilson.

“Luke looks great,” Wilson said. “He’s doing a great job at understanding where he needs to be at the right time. He has a great sense of looking for the ball, and he’s got unbelievable hands and a lot of speed.”

With regular starter Zach Miller on the physically unable to perform list to begin training camp, Willson is listed as the starting tight end on the depth chart for Thursday’s exhibition opener at San Diego.

Although Miller’s relegated to the sideline, Willson said the veteran has regularly been in his ear throughout practice, offering tips and advice.

“Zach’s been a ton of help,” Willson said. “With him being out right now, he’s really been talking me through a lot of plays – what to think, and what to look for pre-snap. He’s been tremendous for me so far.”

The former Rice star has demonstrated he has the physical attributes to play tight end in the NFL. He admitted to being a work-in-progress as a run blocker, but said learning the playbook has been the most challenging thing so far at training camp.

“For me, the toughest part has been the mental part of it,” Willson said. “I mean, we’re up here, especially as rookies, until 8:30 (p.m.). We’ve got meetings and special teams stuff – things like that going.

“It’s not a bad thing, but you really have to be focused, because if you miss that little bit of crucial information, all of sudden it shows up on the field. So that’s kind of the big thing for me is mentally, I really have to be focused in.”

McPherson said he’ll dial things back a little bit for Willson during practice this week so he’s fresh for Thursday’s game.

“Right now, to get ready for this game, partially it’s my job to help get his legs fresh again, so we can get him back to that speed,” McPherson said. “He takes so many reps, and he runs so hard, that he gets a little tired, a little sore.”

wwhickok wrote:

imani

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for Seahawks' Jordan Hill to put on ‘big boy pads’

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/08/07/2717979/time-for-hill-to-put-on-big-boy.html

Quote:
RENTON — Jordan Hill noticed an immediate difference from college to the NFL during his first day with full pads last week when All-Pro center Max Unger and left guard Paul McQuistan crashed down on him during a run-blocking drill.

“When it’s a double team, pass or run, you’ve got to put on your big boy pads and be ready to go,” Hill said, smiling. “I like going against the first team because I know I’ve got to bring it each and every play.”

At Penn State, the 6-foot-1, 303-pound defensive tackle was a man amongst boys, using his quickness, strength and leverage to overpower his opponents.

“The movement is the thing that we saw on college tape,” Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn said. “As a 3-technique inside pass rusher, he’s very active, and that’s one of the things I noticed right away.”

A first team all-Big Ten performer his senior season at Penn State, Hill finished with a career-high 64 tackles, 4.5 sacks and 8.5 tackles for loss in 12 games.

But Hill, a third-round selection for the Seahawks in this year’s draft, faces a steep learning curve. Seattle head coach Pete Carroll said the team drafted Hill for his ability to rush the passer from the interior of the defense.

“It’s similar to what I did at Penn State,” Hill said. “I like playing both inside positions. I’ve just got to get comfortable. Once I get comfortable, I’ll be ready to go.”

Hill, 22, is third on the depth chart at nose tackle behind starter Brandon Mebane and backup Clinton McDonald, but will be given an opportunity to earn time as part of Seattle’s third-down pass-rush package.

“We’d like to see him really compete to be on the nickel group, and rushing the passer,” Carroll said. “He’s got nice quickness. He’s got a good style about his pass rush. We’ll see if that fits in. Right now, he’s making some good impressions in that regard so that would be a great role for him to fill.”

Hill is one of a handful of young players on the defensive line who will get a chance to show what they can do in the exhibition opener against the San Diego Chargers on Thursday. Carroll also has had high praise for fifth-round draft choice Jesse Williams, who has been working at defensive tackle on early downs,

and might be the front-runner to replace departed free agent Alan Branch as the team’s run-stuffing defensive tackle.

Second-year pro Jaye Howard, a fourth-round selection last season, also continues to make plays in practice and will see time at strongside defensive end behind Red Bryant. And third-year pro Mike Morgan is slated to start at “Leo” defensive end with Chris Clemons and Cliff Avril injured.

“I’ve seen a lot of growth in him in the past two weeks,” Mebane said about Hill. “He’s getting better. He’s getting a lot of reps, like we’ve all done as rookies. So I’m happy to see him develop.”

wwhickok wrote:

Plush

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No word on John Lotullalalalala?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: