Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

So how do you guys see your LB corps shaking out this year?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kethnaab

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: So how do you guys see your LB corps shaking out this year? Reply with quote

From what I can tell, you have

Kaluka Maiava
Nick Roach
Sio Moore
Miles Burris
Kevin Burnett

Maiava is nobody
Roach is an almost nobody
Kevin Burnett is a guy who is darn effective but getting up there a bit
Miles Burris is a super-aggressive freakish athlete who is still learning
Sio Moore is a damn beast

I would think something like:

SLB - Sio Moore
MLB - Kevin Burnett
WLB - Miles Burris

that puts the 3 most talented and physically gifted guys on the field.

It seems people are penciling in Nick Roach, and I don't get that. He's a SLB but I cannot fathom him being put in over Sio Moore at SLB when Moore is, by far, more talented. Perhaps to start the season as Moore is learning the defense, but (no offense) you're not headed to the Super Bowl, why not give your physically gifted kids Moore and Burris time on the field to learn?
big_palooka

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think you are undervaluing Maiava and Roach no? I mean both have shown some flashes as backups in Clev and Chi respectively.

Roach is a lock to start MLB. Maiva was starting WLB in OTAs (granted Burris was hurt).

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure Roach will be the MLB, but maybe only two down's. I think Moore and Burnett are the other two starters. Both can play either side.
oak42069

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no way burnett is the mlb

good depth on the chart, lets hope burris is more developed and sio moore catches on quickly.
ch8878

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WLB: Kaluka Maiava - Miles Burris
MLB: Nick Roach - Kaelin Burnett
SLB: Sio Moore - Kevin Burnett

I heard Kaelin Burnett is playing 2nd string MLB not sure.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safe to say Burris isn't getting handed anything. PFF had him as the worst 4-3 OLB last year. Guy missed a ton of tackles last year. Its understandable that he's learning the NFL defensive schemes after coming from SDSU's 3-3-5 D but he's still got to be better at wrapping up and shedding blocks. Maiava's work ethic and effort will get him the starting spot at WLB.

Roach is a solid stopgap. Had some flashes of good play in Chicago but most Bear fans are calling him overrated so we'll see how he is full time in the middle.

Hard not to imagine Moore getting the SLB job. Guy is hungry as it gets. Burnett had a good year in Miami tacklewise but given who Miami signed we all know numbers can be deceiving.

I think we've got a lot of blue collar guys in Maiava in Roach and that will push the younger guys to be that much better. Nothing spectacular but guys that will get the job done.

SaveourSonics wrote:
Yea, RaiderX wins. We can all just top acting like this is a matter of opinion. MY GOD.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maiava is small and slow. Yes burris misses some tackles but he gets to more than maiava ever could

As for PFF, they rated Willie Colon as the best OT from 2008-2010 and had William gay rated ove Ike Taylor and Maurkice Pouncey as the worst pass protecting center in the NFL his rookie season. Im sorry but I can't take their ratings too seriously.

For a dude as athletic as Burris, it'd be a shame for him to sit behind a physically inferior guy like maiava. We had to put up with Larry Foote for years waiting for Lawrence Timmons to "develop" enough not to make mental errors, meanwhile foite got burned constantly because he is small and slow and only getting slower
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaiderX wrote:
Safe to say Burris isn't getting handed anything. PFF had him as the worst 4-3 OLB last year. Guy missed a ton of tackles last year. Its understandable that he's learning the NFL defensive schemes after coming from SDSU's 3-3-5 D but he's still got to be better at wrapping up and shedding blocks. Maiava's work ethic and effort will get him the starting spot at WLB.

Roach is a solid stopgap. Had some flashes of good play in Chicago but most Bear fans are calling him overrated so we'll see how he is full time in the middle.

Hard not to imagine Moore getting the SLB job. Guy is hungry as it gets. Burnett had a good year in Miami tacklewise but given who Miami signed we all know numbers can be deceiving.

I think we've got a lot of blue collar guys in Maiava in Roach and that will push the younger guys to be that much better. Nothing spectacular but guys that will get the job done.

Burnett has played more as WLB than SLB. I dont see Maiava beating him out either way. By game 4 this is how I see it playing out.

SLB: Sio Moore-Kaluka Maiava
MLB: Nick Roach-Keenan Clayton
WLB: Kevin Burnett-Miles Burris
oakdb36

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dennis Allen's Raiders play their coverage LB on the strongside to handle TEs. Kevin Burnett and Maiava are competing for the starting spot there.

Roach hasn't much competition at MLB, he's the starter.

Moore and Burris will compete for the Will spot.
Darbsk

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ch8878 wrote:
WLB: Kaluka Maiava - Miles Burris
MLB: Nick Roach - Kaelin Burnett
SLB: Sio Moore - Kevin Burnett

I heard Kaelin Burnett is playing 2nd string MLB not sure.

I believe in OTA's it was Moore at WLB, Roach at MLB and Burnett at SLB. I think we are looking to use Moore to suplement the pass rush so makes sense having him ruch from the WLB spot, he also could see some time with his hand in the dirt on 3rd and long.

Good thing is no-one is guaranteed a spot so they'll have to impress in camp. Burris played over aggressive last year and was sloppy as a result but I'd rather a guy had that fire in him and try and control it, should be much better prepared this year.

Maiava and Burris should really push for starting spots and the coaches seem to rate the younger Burnett though I've not seen a lot of him. I could conceivably see a starting trio of Burris / Roach / Moore.
raidr4life

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WLB: Moore- Burris
MLB: Roach- Goethel
SLB: Burnett- Maiava

Also Mario Kurn is coming back from injury, I had high hopes for him last year.
DOCLEW 28

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roach is a nobody???

Does this guy even watch football? Roach stRted the majority of the games in his time on that Bears defense. His signing was a coup for this organization.

Raider X hooked me with the sig
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOCLEW 28 wrote:
Roach is a nobody???

Does this guy even watch football? Roach stRted the majority of the games in his time on that Bears defense. His signing was a coup for this organization.

Well you need to take it in context I think. Roach on his team would likely be nothing better than depth.
raidr4life

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiberiusRising wrote:
DOCLEW 28 wrote:
Roach is a nobody???

Well you need to take it in context I think. Roach on his team would likely be nothing better than depth.
How is that when he's been a starter?
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiberiusRising wrote:
DOCLEW 28 wrote:
Roach is a nobody???

He'd probably start over Larry Foote.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: