Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tannehill 2013, Does He Take The Next Step Forward?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maddogg

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Tannehill 2013, Does He Take The Next Step Forward? Reply with quote

So Ryan Tannehill in 2013, much of the success or failure for the season is going to rest firmly on his shoulders. Do you see him taking a step forward or will it be a leap forward? Or does he suffer the sophomore slump and regress? What is your barometer for him to fall in those categories, is it wins? Passing yards? TDs?

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 6, Tackles 7 Assists 2 Sacks 1 Forced Fumbles 1

Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 7 : Death 24 Joe 21
joeyL.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all signs point to him progressing. Not just slightly but taking a fairly modest step forward. We saw it though the season that he was getting more and more comfortable each and every game. With the added weapons, 2nd year in the system and a full offseason there is no reason to anticipate a slump. I'm thinking he will impress us all and we will really close the gap with the pats.

^^^packerbacker87, mad props yo.
"
This is America, the land of individualism, civil
disobedience and footballs that dont roll like the rest of the world wants them to"
freak_of_nature

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3800 yards (~240ypg avg)
22 TD
11 INT
61% comp

&

400 rushing yards
6 rushing TD
green4gulf

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm leaning more towards Tannehill progressing. I'm usually a bit more pessimistic ( especially since I wasn't a big fan of the pick ), but as long as we can keep Tannehill healthy and upright then I see him making a solid leap forward.

I'm really expecting the progression to come in the form of TD to INT ratio.
carlos2104

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green4gulf wrote:
I'm leaning more towards Tannehill progressing. I'm usually a bit more pessimistic ( especially since I wasn't a big fan of the pick ), but as long as we can keep Tannehill healthy and upright then I see him making a solid leap forward.

I'm really expecting the progression to come in the form of TD to INT ratio.
Yeah I didn't like the pick either, but after watching him for a year I was wrong. Stat wise he may not blow it away but I definitely see him maturing as a passer.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, he takes the step forward...

1) This is his third year in this offense (if you count the watered down version he played at A&M) which should lend himself to having a stronger grasp of what to expect with each play.

2) The front office has done everything it possibly could to add weapons to the offense to take advantage of his skill set. They added a deep threat to make the offense more explosive while also adding versatility to the other WR positions. The TE position will be much stronger.

3) He isn't "resting on his laurels" so to speak. He knows what he needs to do to get better and he is using the off-season to actually get better. He's getting the WRs together on his own to work on timing, he's watching his games from the season before to see where he can improve. To be honest not as many do this after their rookie campaign.

Quote:
I guess one way to describe him is hes a gym rat. He loves football; hes been here an awful lot, Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin explained. He's been working out with the guys on their own, nothing orchestrated by us, well before the offseason program began. Those are all good indicators that somebody wants to be good. Thats kind of step one.

Taking all 3 factors into account I can't see him moving anywhere, but forward. He has the skill set, the work ethic, more experience and now some legitimate weapons.

The barometer will be based on QB rating, completion percentage, and wins (especially 4th quarter wins). Yards are inconsequential if his rating is below 85 and the team goes 5-11.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if we go 7-9 ? Will just improved stats from 2012, be enough to say he has progressed?

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 6, Tackles 7 Assists 2 Sacks 1 Forced Fumbles 1

ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:
What if we go 7-9 ? Will just improved stats from 2012, be enough to say he has progressed?

No....I don't want Cam Newton and Matt Stafford...he needs to show he can lead a team.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:

That would depend on why we went 7-9. If our defense falls apart, and our kicker misses important kicks, and our RB fumbles the ball too much, or our O-line ends up being terrible, then those are things outside his control.

For instance, if he drives us down for a game winning TD, and there is a minute left on the clock and the defense lets them score and we lose, then how is that RT's fault?

If he puts us in position to make a winning field goal, and the kicker misses the kick, then how is that his fault?

I want to see him improve in more than just stats, but I won't only be looking at wins and losses either. Sanchez had a couple of great years in the wins department, but he was still a terrible QB.

What I want to see in order of importance is this...

1. Him take the team on his shoulders when necessary and actually step up when it counts. I want some game winning drives, even if like I said before we don't end up winning the game. I want his 4th quarter play to show the most significant improvement.

2. Quicker and better decision making

3. I want to see him learn to work the middle of the field better.

4. I want him to improve his deep ball accuracy

5. I usually don't say this, but I want to see him use his legs a little more often to extend plays and pick up first downs and chunk yardage. He has the ability to add that dimension to his game, and I'd like to see him taking off and running 4 or 5 times a game. Maybe even a couple of designed runs a game. Just enough to keep the defense honest. Not so much that he misses opportunities to make big plays with his arm.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he doesn't after everything that was done this off-season I hope we're looking to draft another QB.

I don't know whether or not he will, I've been down on him since we drafted him, thought it was way too early. He did show some signs last year, but we've seen signs out of so many other QB's.. I'm not at all sold, but always happy to be proved wrong.
SUG

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no question in my mind Tannehill will be better.
Don't ask me how I know but I just do.
I was apprehensive about selecting him where we did.
But I saw accuracy, poise in the pocket, arm strength, command of the huddle, athleticism, knowledge of the playbook to operate the "no huddle" in his rookie yr to feel 100% confident with him moving forward.

I'm thinkin 9 - 7.
Besides he doesn't nearly concern me as much as does the Oline.

sug
Russ57

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest concerns are:
1) A lot of new players.
2) A brutal beginning to the shedule combined with number 1.

Lately we have had some QB's start day one and do very well. We should remember that isn't the norm. I suspect it will be a few years before we really know what we have. Henne didn't look too bad at first. Stat wise I think he might have done better than Ryan. But that isn't the whole story. Henne had started four years in college, sat a year behind Pennington, and had inherited an 11-5 playoff team.

When you look at how Ryan handles the blitz....his ability to read a defense and call audibles at the line....the way the other players appear to feel about him.....and compare to Henne.....there is no doubt in my mind that the team is moving forward. Factor in all the work he has been doing with the WR's on his/their own time and it says a lot.

I think the future looks good but we might not see it in the win column this year.
Warpticon

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ57 wrote:
My biggest concerns are:
1) A lot of new players.
2) A brutal beginning to the shedule combined with number 1.

Lately we have had some QB's start day one and do very well. We should remember that isn't the norm. I suspect it will be a few years before we really know what we have. Henne didn't look too bad at first. Stat wise I think he might have done better than Ryan. But that isn't the whole story. Henne had started four years in college, sat a year behind Pennington, and had inherited an 11-5 playoff team.

When you look at how Ryan handles the blitz....his ability to read a defense and call audibles at the line....the way the other players appear to feel about him.....and compare to Henne.....there is no doubt in my mind that the team is moving forward. Factor in all the work he has been doing with the WR's on his/their own time and it says a lot.

I think the future looks good but we might not see it in the win column this year.

Not only did Henne not do better than Tannehill as a rookie, 2011 was his only season with a higher passer rating than Tannehill had last year.

I'm not concerned about a lot of new players. New better players is better than familiar worse players. And you can't really get newer than a rookie, which Tannehill was last year. He never practiced with his #1 receiver until the week of his first NFL start. This year he has an entire offseason with Hartline and the other receivers. He has a tight end who is a threat beyond 5 yards downfield. He has RBs who will hit holes consistently, which should lead to more consistent gains and much better play action, which Tannehill excels at. He's also super sharp and very self aware when it comes to his weaknesses, so I have great confidence in his ability to do so.
Maddogg

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI........Las Vegas has set the Dolphins wins 7.5 for under/over.

Russ57

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same as last year IIRC.

If you call the predictions accurate it looks like we miss the wildcard by a game or two.

Still think it has everything to do with how we start the season. Lack of tape on us could be a huge advantage.....assuming everyone is healthy and has some time to practice together.

Hard to say how the O-line and running game will do. Paid a lot for a couple of LB'ers that are sorta one year wonders. On the plus side our passing attack and CB situation should be much improved. Buffalo and Jets should be weaker too.

If nothing else I have to give Ireland his due for making huge changes to a roster that wasn't able to take that next step.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: