You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rodgers wants GB to retire Favre's #
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Retire it?
Yes
65%
 65%  [ 40 ]
No
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
In 20 Years
14%
 14%  [ 9 ]
NEVER
16%
 16%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 61

blueswedeshoes

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said twenty years.

I can do it next week if necessary, but Favre hasn't gotten to a good place yet. It is completely incumbent upon Favre to mend fences. He doesn't have to grovel or apologize. He just needs to come around, say hey, jump on the Packer bus that runs around the state and thrill some people, play at somebody's golf outing and toss a $fat check at a charity, and tell us how much he enjoyed playing here.

If he shows up for a retirement ceremony without prepping the ground with a little PR he will get his asterisk booed loudly whether it is 2013, 2023, or 2053. What has changed, in the mind of fans, since this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMfqS0jt4qY

I submit that this site has a high percentage of smart people who understand football and the circumstances. Our poll is skewed to the smart side.
mxr124

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the "Tweet" he sent out last month, basically asking Packer nation to help him give a shout out to Aaron Rodgers was a small step in the right direction.
deathstar

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The number 4 for our organization represents a lot more than a player. Farve's arrival, ascension, and entire career correlates the turning point for our franchise. The number represents the front office that was put in place to bring him to Green Bay, the same front office that created one of the longest stretches of sustained success in professional sports history. It represents Mik Holmgren's time with us and the Super Bowl they won together. The number 4 means a lot to this franchise, and not all of it is Farve himself. In my mind we should do it, and approach it from that perspective.
MathMan

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want Rodgers' successors to wear number 4, nor should they, so might as well retire it.
GoPackGo

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I've learned through this whole fiasco is that they are 2 kinds of people.

1. Brett Favre fans
2. Packer fans

The first set of fans will always love the guy. He could have said he hates the Packers and was rooting for them to lose the Superbowl, but it wouldn't matter. Those fans will eat up his gosh golly I'm just a country boy who is bitter schtick and retire his number tomorrow.

Then, there are fans of the Packers franchise who realize what a jerk he was after he left. He got what he wanted, he could have played in Minnesota and not said a peep about GB, but he didn't. Once you attempt to help another team beat Green Bay, you've crossed into traitor territory. I know it's an extreme example, but if someone gives up intelligence about the USA to a foreign country, we don't let that person back into our loving arms because he served in the armed forces for 16 years. You are now a traitor to your country and an embarrassment to the organization and the class it stands for.

See, for me, he didn't just disrespect fans by doing that. He disrespected his own friends (guys like Driver) and the people who put in the work in this organization. The men and women who had nothing to do with the business part of things. The guys like Lombardi and what they stood for are not what Brett Favre stands for.

Whether they retire his # or not isn't up to me. Truth be told, I don't care if they do, but I will never be a fan of the man again. His hero image in Wisconsin is completely blown. You played QB for 16 years and gave me some entertaining moments, cool, but you'll forever get infinite indifference from me.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mxr124 wrote:
I think the "Tweet" he sent out last month, basically asking Packer nation to help him give a shout out to Aaron Rodgers was a small step in the right direction.

I hear ya but, when it comes to sincerity Favre is about at the Lindsay Lohan level. I would like to believe him but, you have to look at the track record.
Pugger

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoPackGo wrote:

1. Brett Favre fans
2. Packer fans

The first set of fans will always love the guy. He could have said he hates the Packers and was rooting for them to lose the Superbowl, but it wouldn't matter. Those fans will eat up his gosh golly I'm just a country boy who is bitter schtick and retire his number tomorrow.

Then, there are fans of the Packers franchise who realize what a jerk he was after he left. He got what he wanted, he could have played in Minnesota and not said a peep about GB, but he didn't. Once you attempt to help another team beat Green Bay, you've crossed into traitor territory. I know it's an extreme example, but if someone gives up intelligence about the USA to a foreign country, we don't let that person back into our loving arms because he served in the armed forces for 16 years. You are now a traitor to your country and an embarrassment to the organization and the class it stands for.

See, for me, he didn't just disrespect fans by doing that. He disrespected his own friends (guys like Driver) and the people who put in the work in this organization. The men and women who had nothing to do with the business part of things. The guys like Lombardi and what they stood for are not what Brett Favre stands for.

Whether they retire his # or not isn't up to me. Truth be told, I don't care if they do, but I will never be a fan of the man again. His hero image in Wisconsin is completely blown. You played QB for 16 years and gave me some entertaining moments, cool, but you'll forever get infinite indifference from me.

Love this post! You said what I feel about this situation much better than I ever did/could. Can I borrow it for another forum debating Favre and retiring his number?
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sooner it happens the better from Arod's perspective. Why would you want to be asked this same question year after year? And of course he said he wants it retired, this is one of those "what else is he supposed to say" questions.
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoPackGo wrote:

1. Brett Favre fans
2. Packer fans

This is exactly what I would say. When you openly try to "get back" at Green Bay, it's over. You are no longer a Packer in my eyes. Favre got nothing but love and worship from the fans for 16 years and you try to get back at them? Sorry but I will never consider him a Packer again. If they retire his number, whatever, I certainly won't care.
IrishGreen

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoPackGo wrote:

1. Brett Favre fans
2. Packer fans

great post.

i won't be "accepting" him back either.

indifference is the best he'll get, but i'm never going to act "awww i'm so glad things are patched up. i still don't think he deserves it in anyway.

save the space for #12
Polaris

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retiring the number is the highest honor the franchise can give. Why would you award that honor to a guy who has behaved so dishonorably towards the franchise.

It'll be a sad day for me if the Packers actually do this. He doesn't belong in the company of Starr, Nitschke, Hutson, Canadeo and White.
jagman777

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brett favre attempting to help another team beat his old team = treason

LOL
IrishGreen

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jagman777 wrote:

LOL

jagman777

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrishGreen wrote:
jagman777 wrote:

LOL

I would be mad if we had negs.

40Year Pack Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burt is the "elephant in the room", so sooner or later he will have to be dealt with......The organization was and is far more important than any one individual....Brett Favre included....

I don't see why the present regime has to be the one to retire his number....After all, Mike McCarthy, Ted Thompson, and Mark Murphy moved on.....Brett did the same, but with a chip on his shoulder......

When he makes some gesture of respect towards this organization again, than perhaps the healing process will happen....

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: