You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rodgers wants GB to retire Favre's #
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Retire it?
Yes
65%
 65%  [ 40 ]
No
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
In 20 Years
14%
 14%  [ 9 ]
NEVER
16%
 16%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 61

Madtown

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBPackers79 wrote:
This debate isn't even worth it for me anymore. I'll just step back and watch.

It just totally baffles me how anyone could side with Brett. At all. Look at how he handled his exit. Look at his actions since leaving. Far too many things have happened to make me still believe he's a good person, let alone my views on him as a football player.

The organization handled it as well as they could have. Brett was the one playing his indecisive games. And then he went on his revenge tour, OPENLY ADMITTING that he was trying to stick it to Ted. Rumors swirl about him helping the Lions plan for us. I mean, it's just too much. And it's not bitterness. Rodgers stepped in and became the best QB in the league. We won a ring soon after Favre left. We're good.

If you want to say "just get over it", no. Why? I'm aware of all of the great things he did for this organization. I'm also aware of how he did his best to erase that when he left. I'll wait for him to show some remorse. I think I'll be waiting for a while.

THIS. THIS. THIS. In a vacuum I was never bitter that he played for the Vikings. I have all the respect in the world for Jennings. I just lost all respect for Favre the man. There was a lot of stuff that went on behind the scenes before the public knew anything where he was inching his way out of town. When he didn't get what he wanted, he came back with a flame thrower and tried to burn the whole thing down. He trashed the organization and Rodgers every chance he could. He even went of Foxy News in a sham interview to completely lie about the events that transpired.

Then he told Urlacher to beat the Packers (annoying, but I understood). Then he fricken called up the Lions to tell them ways he thought they could beat the Packers (unforgivable). And even the whole sext thing made me lose out on the last bit of respect I had for him as a man.

Yes, I'm grateful he played in GB and brought a lot of winning and a championship. He was rewarded handsomely for that. But he intentionally trashed all the capital he had with a lot of the fans here, including me.

Honestly, it's probably a smart business move the the Packers to bring him back and retire his number. I won't blame them for it. Unless he shows he realizes he was a complete [inappropriate/removed]-hat, I'm done with him.

Edit: Thanks, Palmy. Yeah, I didn't even mention the way he completely D'd over the Jets. And I HATE the Jets. But that was terrible.
Madtown

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The non-GB fans telling us to get over it never really heard the details. They just remember the player and think it's unfortunate that the player and team aren't in a good place together. I get that. But the national programs didn't cover half of the actual events that went on with this situation, even though there was a friggin zoo full of reporters around there during the preseason.

Seriously, most of us are Wisconsinites. We're almost Canadian. We wouldn't turn on a legend like that if it wasn't deserved. And if actually realized he was a giant [inappropriate/removed] and came out and said so then yeah pretty much everyone would take him back. And we love second chances.
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are TT/Packers you invite Favre back to have a big number retiring ceremony and 2 things could happen:

- He declines and looks like a immature baby.

- He accepts and gets booed by everybody at his own party.

Win-Win for TT and company.
Pack4life7

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be ready in 2016 I think.

He still without question is one of the greatest Packers ever. Time will heal this wound. I'm just not there yet.

Enter Waldo

Same Old Jay
IrishGreen

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
IrishGreen wrote:
is it really out of line to say the guy was a grade A d bag?

i mean i realize there's probably lots of players, even ones we think are great people, who are probably jerks. but man, all the stuff that came out about favre, especially at the end when nobody cared about his image anymore.. it was pretty eye-opening. there were people saying he was a d bag back in hs already. and since it's pretty common for athletes to be cocky, i doubt it was "the norm"

That's the thing that gets me with Favre. Turned out to be a MUCH different "man" than I felt he was for many years. You don't need to be a great guy for me to respect you as an athlete. Lord knows we all have our issues. Fact is, Favre made a bunch of money selling something he was anything but. I mean, Jordan was anything but a great guy back in the day. But he had no problem showing that "chip" on his shoulder and we all repsected that dog in him. Favre made a ton of bank selling that simple mind, good old country boy selling jeans and taking care of his sick wife BS. I'm well aware that there is a very strong market for that guy(just look a Dale JR in nascar) and I at some level respect Favre the buisness man, but still.

Again, this has NOTHING to do with how I feel about Favre the athlete. Just feel like I was taken for a ride. That's all.

That's what I'm saying. There's plenty of athletes that don't have perfect attitudes (like you said, everyone has their faults), but the guy was like a completely different person. Jordan is the perfect example. Everyone knew he was kind of a hard azz. Kobe Bryant is somewhat conceited, but he doesn't appear to hide that at all.

And I truly believe Favre was overrated even playing-wise. No one has to agree with me. But watching Rodgers now, and remembering watching Favre all those years? Big difference in my opinion. Was he a good football player? Sure. Was he one of the very best to ever play the position? Debatable.

Don't expect many to agree, just how I feel. And like I said before, ring of honor shouldn't be this thing you simply are handed because you were a good football player. It should be a person that was a top notch player and person. Not a perfect person, but someone who is at the very least, honest about who they are.
Ketchup

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the FO could have done better... Well they first made a mistake by leaving the door open. I beleive it was a couple weeks after his official retirement that he was starting to flip flop and they flew down there to talk and he decided to stay retired. I don't see why even do that? That set the stage and made Brett feel that if he decided to play they would welcome him back. Then, Favre does decide to come back but Ted made the very correct call in handing the keys to Rodgers. No denying that that was the right call for me, even way back then. But why drag it out? Why was Favre not cut or traded right away. TT was never going to let him become the starter no matter what they said about competition. Why even bring him to the building? It created a PR mess and was not necassary.

Those two things always stuck out to me as mistakes. Favre was a hot mess and made a lot of decisions and actions that were both immature and inappropriate. No doubt. He made it personal. BUT, at the very I do beleive there were mistakes made by both sides. No it's not equal blame and yes I can understand people hating Favre forever but mistakes were made.

I honestly don't care what everyone else thinks. You all have your right to an opinion. Ill never change yours and you'll never change mine on this.

Bottomline for me is that Favres career here, the legend he built here as a player, deserves to be recognized. His number has been handed out iirc since the day he left here so unofficial it already is retired.

El ramster on the custom sig!
McT

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he belongs in the Ring of Honor but not to have his number retired. Reggie's number retirement was also a bit premature in my opinion. I think that there are several otehr numbers that could/should be retired before #4. Those include:
27 - Johnny McNally
9 - Arnie Herber
5 -Paul Hornung
31 - Jim Taylor
17 - Cecil Isbell

There's probably more that could be added to that list.
spilltray

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketchup wrote:
What the FO could have done better... Well they first made a mistake by leaving the door open. I beleive it was a couple weeks after his official retirement that he was starting to flip flop and they flew down there to talk and he decided to stay retired. I don't see why even do that? That set the stage and made Brett feel that if he decided to play they would welcome him back. Then, Favre does decide to come back but Ted made the very correct call in handing the keys to Rodgers. No denying that that was the right call for me, even way back then. But why drag it out? Why was Favre not cut or traded right away. TT was never going to let him become the starter no matter what they said about competition. Why even bring him to the building? It created a PR mess and was not necassary.

Those two things always stuck out to me as mistakes. Favre was a hot mess and made a lot of decisions and actions that were both immature and inappropriate. No doubt. He made it personal. BUT, at the very I do beleive there were mistakes made by both sides. No it's not equal blame and yes I can understand people hating Favre forever but mistakes were made.

I honestly don't care what everyone else thinks. You all have your right to an opinion. Ill never change yours and you'll never change mine on this.

Bottomline for me is that Favres career here, the legend he built here as a player, deserves to be recognized. His number has been handed out iirc since the day he left here so unofficial it already is retired.

See I don't think either of those things is a mistake.

They were willing to let him come back. Before MM's QB camp. Before the draft. Before OTAs and Mini-Camps. Basically they were willing to give him the opportunity to change his mind until they started moving on without him. When the prep for the season with Rodgers at the helm started, that's when it was too late, and supposedly they let him know that when they went down there to talk to him.

As for the second point, they were never going to cut him. They were trying to talk him into staying retired. I'm sure they were trying to trade him right away, but it isn't that easy. Moves like that take a little time. They were also trying to get Favre's input on a trade and he didn't help matters at all there.

I still don't see how they could have handled it any better. If Favre decided in March he wanted to come back and the same situation happened, it's even worse PR because none of the work for the season has even started yet. If he goes immediately to MN without the buffer of NY and the shennanigans he pulled there, then that's bad for the Packers as well. The organization was dealt a VERY crappy hand, but they played it as well as they possibly could, in every way.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Madtown

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
Ketchup wrote:

See I don't think either of those things is a mistake.

They were willing to let him come back. Before MM's QB camp. Before the draft. Before OTAs and Mini-Camps. Basically they were willing to give him the opportunity to change his mind until they started moving on without him. When the prep for the season with Rodgers at the helm started, that's when it was too late, and supposedly they let him know that when they went down there to talk to him.

As for the second point, they were never going to cut him. They were trying to talk him into staying retired. I'm sure they were trying to trade him right away, but it isn't that easy. Moves like that take a little time. They were also trying to get Favre's input on a trade and he didn't help matters at all there.

I still don't see how they could have handled it any better. If Favre decided in March he wanted to come back and the same situation happened, it's even worse PR because none of the work for the season has even started yet. If he goes immediately to MN without the buffer of NY and the shennanigans he pulled there, then that's bad for the Packers as well. The organization was dealt a VERY crappy hand, but they played it as well as they possibly could, in every way.

And don't forget, that at that point they had drafted two new QBs, including a second rounder, to fill out their roster. From the reports I heard, they made it clear that this was it for chances after his flip flop when they went down to see him. They had to move on. They left the door open until they couldn't anymore.
Pugger

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketchup wrote:

Favre had to file reinstatement papers to NY because he was on the reserve/retired list if memory serves so Ted and company didn't have to do a thing. Favre dragged his feet until right before freaking Family Night. I suspect he stalled in the hopes he'd wear down Mac and Ted and we'd just give him his unconditional release to be rid of the PR nightmare. When Ted didn't release him things went south in a big hurry.
Dubyajay

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketchup wrote:

Why drag it out? You put that on TT and MM? Seriously?

Revisionist history to fit your point of both sides having blame.
paul-mac

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you run a guy out of town then get mad at him for defecting to Minnesota?

Fify.
Ketchup

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So don't have the energy for this debate anymore. My simple answer is that Favres number should be retired. And asap to help people move on. His on field play and what he meant to this city before all the crap hit the fan warrants his number retired and for him to be honored.

El ramster on the custom sig!
spilltray

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:

Run a guy out of town? Really?

He QUIT. He RETIRED. After 4 years of talking about it and taking his sweet time to "decide" each offseason, he QUIT and the team moved on. They sent him to a new team, just NO ONE wants their old franchise QB on a division rival. He manipulated the situation, faking another retirement to get out of the NY Jets, to get to the Vikings which he admitted in SI was in part just because he wanted to stick it to the Packers. You can't do that without the fans getting caught in the middle, something he has shown no remorse for. Had Favre stayed in NY or actually retired, there would be alot less resentment. The fact that he felt the need to go out of his way for revenge against that same team that gave him a shot in the first place, made him one of the richest players in the NFL, heck even gave him his own private dressing room for years, burns all bridges and negates a huge part of his legacy to that team and community.

Favre ran HIMSELF out of town thinking he could dictate his terms to the team and that they should be OK with that. That's not how the NFL works, I don't care if you are Brett Favre or not.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
paul-mac wrote:

Run a guy out of town? Really?

He QUIT. He RETIRED. After 4 years of talking about it and taking his sweet time to "decide" each offseason, he QUIT and the team moved on. They sent him to a new team, just NO ONE wants their old franchise QB on a division rival. He manipulated the situation, faking another retirement to get out of the NY Jets, to get to the Vikings which he admitted in SI was in part just because he wanted to stick it to the Packers. You can't do that without the fans getting caught in the middle, something he has shown no remorse for. Had Favre stayed in NY or actually retired, there would be alot less resentment. The fact that he felt the need to go out of his way for revenge against that same team that gave him a shot in the first place, made him one of the richest players in the NFL, heck even gave him his own private dressing room for years, burns all bridges and negates a huge part of his legacy to that team and community.

Favre ran HIMSELF out of town thinking he could dictate his terms to the team and that they should be OK with that. That's not how the NFL works, I don't care if you are Brett Favre or not.
So much this! Favre is the one who gave it all away and cried when we wouldn't hand him his old job back on a silver platter and screw Rodgers over. The comment about us running him out of town is pure ignorance.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: