You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rodgers wants GB to retire Favre's #
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Retire it?
Yes
65%
 65%  [ 40 ]
No
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
In 20 Years
14%
 14%  [ 9 ]
NEVER
16%
 16%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 61

packerfan4eva4

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodgers should change his number to #4 just for teh lulz.

I can't help but laugh at non-Packer fans who think they know everything about the Favre drama and come in here saying we should let it go.

FWIW I do think we should retire his number and move on from the situation.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but brb, don't think we should feel the "need" to retire his number

-i won't ever consider him a packer great again. he's a complete tool who joined a rival team 75% out of spite and an FU.

-overrated QB. srs. was a good ole gunslinger. just a better jay cutler if we're being honest. brb loaded superbowl team

-getting your number retired should be a combo of elite play and a class act. stats shouldn't be the only determinant.

inb4 non-packer fans say we should get over it. gtfo. they can get over not being the best franchise in the world.
justo

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrishGreen wrote:
they can get over not being the best franchise in the world.
Hood River Timewizards?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jagman777 wrote:
He won you guys a super bowl, and all you can dwell on is the last couple years where both sides of the party felt disrespected. He could have handled it better, but I think it was reasonable for him to feel slighted in a way. Just seems to me like the positives of Bret's tenure greatly outweigh the pissing contest at the end, and it's all over now, but a lot of you can't get over it. just my unimportant opinion. Surprised

He won 1 Super Bowl. On a loaded team, with the #1 Offense and Defense. After that, he was a large part of the reason the Packers didn't win another until Rodgers took over. He felt "disrespected" that the new Packers management (TT and MM) HELD HIM ACCOUNTABLE, and expected him TO PARTICIPATE in offseason workouts. I have no sympathy for that sort of diva behavior.

incognito_man wrote:
still don't see how the organization mishandled it. Nobody ever has any specifics when they mention this. Why not?

This is what I'm wondering. Favre was so bent out of shape that he wasn't being handed the reigns they never even got into any discussions about letting him come back to be a #2 or possibly even compete with Rodgers. When the Packers asked him to give them input on where they should try and trade him, Favre basically said "I'm not cooperating, I want you to cut me." The Packers even offered him a lucrative "marketing" deal to try and keep him in the family and retired. I don't see ANYTHING the Packers could have done better in this situation. They acted with class and professionalism while dealing with someone who has neither of those things.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jagman777

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrishGreen wrote:

-i won't ever consider him a packer great again. he's a complete tool who joined a rival team 75% out of spite and an FU.

-overrated QB. srs. was a good ole gunslinger. just a better jay cutler if we're being honest. brb loaded superbowl team

-getting your number retired should be a combo of elite play and a class act. stats shouldn't be the only determinant.

inb4 non-packer fans say we should get over it. gtfo. they can get over not being the best franchise in the world.

Pugger

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Title Town USA wrote:
Ketchup wrote:
pollino14 wrote:
I personally think he should wait until this regime is over. The way he disrespected TT and Mac, I'd make him wait.
All party's could have handled it much better. Favre was not the only one at fault. The sooner he gets his # retired and everything, the better off everyone will be.
How could the Packers have handled it better?

And out me in the "retire his number after we retire Rodgers'" crowd.

People say us fans need to get over it, yet Brett can't. The guy is such a giant B. Remember last year when Holgrem was inducted into the Packer Hall of Fame, and Bob Harlan invited Brett to present Holmgren at the ceremony? And remember when crybaby Burt declined? Dude is such a (word that rhymes with hunt). Period.

Frankly it was a good thing BF wasn't there. That was to be Holmgren's day in the sun and had Favre been there he would have been the center of attention instead.
Pugger

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jagman777 wrote:
IrishGreen wrote:

Its easy for non-Packer fans to tell us to get over it. But most of us didn't have any issues when he was traded to NYJ. Some of us cheered him on if only so we would get a higher draft pick. But when he maneuvered it so he could play for a divisional rival so he could "stick it" to the franchise that made him a multimillionaire, that was beyond the pale and the core reason why so many of us have no use for the man today.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
jagman777 wrote:
IrishGreen wrote:

Its easy for non-Packer fans to tell us to get over it. But most of us didn't have any issues when he was traded to NYJ. Some of us cheered him on if only so we would get a higher draft pick. But when he maneuvered it so he could play for a divisional rival so he could "stick it" to the franchise that made him a multimillionaire, that was beyond the pale and the core reason why so many of us have no use for the man today.
Especially after the Jets said they would have kept Favre after he signed with MIN.
jagman777

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fine but to define him as "just a better jay cutler"

that's just wrong imo
palmy50

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
Pugger wrote:
jagman777 wrote:
IrishGreen wrote:

Especially after the Jets said they would have kept Favre after he signed with MIN.

I have said from day one that IMO Favre put the boots to the Jets far more than he did the Packers. At the end of the day, TT traded the man! The way he left NY though.........

I still respect Favre as a football player in every way. But outside of reading his wife's book there was nothing that made me lose more respect for him as a man than how he left that Jets club. It was a sad thing for me to watch really and had very little to do with him landing with the Vikes.
IrishGreen

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it really out of line to say the guy was a grade A d bag?

i mean i realize there's probably lots of players, even ones we think are great people, who are probably jerks. but man, all the stuff that came out about favre, especially at the end when nobody cared about his image anymore.. it was pretty eye-opening. there were people saying he was a d bag back in hs already. and since it's pretty common for athletes to be cocky, i doubt it was "the norm"
palmy50

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrishGreen wrote:
is it really out of line to say the guy was a grade A d bag?

i mean i realize there's probably lots of players, even ones we think are great people, who are probably jerks. but man, all the stuff that came out about favre, especially at the end when nobody cared about his image anymore.. it was pretty eye-opening. there were people saying he was a d bag back in hs already. and since it's pretty common for athletes to be cocky, i doubt it was "the norm"

That's the thing that gets me with Favre. Turned out to be a MUCH different "man" than I felt he was for many years. You don't need to be a great guy for me to respect you as an athlete. Lord knows we all have our issues. Fact is, Favre made a bunch of money selling something he was anything but. I mean, Jordan was anything but a great guy back in the day. But he had no problem showing that "chip" on his shoulder and we all repsected that dog in him. Favre made a ton of bank selling that simple mind, good old country boy selling jeans and taking care of his sick wife BS. I'm well aware that there is a very strong market for that guy(just look a Dale JR in nascar) and I at some level respect Favre the buisness man, but still.

Again, this has NOTHING to do with how I feel about Favre the athlete. Just feel like I was taken for a ride. That's all.
Kal-El

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
Its easy for non-Packer fans to tell us to get over it. But most of us didn't have any issues when he was traded to NYJ. Some of us cheered him on if only so we would get a higher draft pick. But when he maneuvered it so he could play for a divisional rival so he could "stick it" to

I actually even accepted him playing for MN (not that I was rooting for him or anything). Where he lost respect with me was the stuff that came out around that year about how he handled "un-retiring." Things like snubbing Aaron completely and selling us out to the Lions about our offense (and others I'm not remembering).

Had Brett handled it like Donovan McNabb (who I don't even consider classy) handled Philadelphia dealing him to a rival, or the way Kurt Warner handled the same thing time and again, I'd hold no ill-will towards him at all. Instead, he vindictively tried to sabotage us in more ways than one.

I appreciate what he did here as a player, but sadly, I don't think too favorably of Favre "the man" anymore.

Quote:
the franchise that made him a multimillionaire.

This also bears repeating. People always like to play the "He won you a SuperBowl"-card and say that we owe him so many winning seasons. All true, but that was his job, especially when you consider how much we paid him.

Highest paid Packer in our history... 'til recently, at least.

With that kind of contract, being a perennial playoff contender is appreciated, but also kind of to be expected!

[quote="Macc_Aviv"](Mike Daniels) rushes the passer to get from point A to point B. Walking doesn't suit his personality.[/quote]
Pugger

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
Pugger wrote:
jagman777 wrote:
IrishGreen wrote:

Didn't Favre retire yet again and then ask NY to release him from his contract? Or am I not remembering correctly....?
HokieHigh

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your move, holy man.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: