Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

This Year's Rod Streater
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darbsk

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: This Year's Rod Streater Reply with quote

Ok guys, in 2012 we had Rod Streater, in 2011 Denarius Moore, in 2009 Louis Murphy and in 2008 Trevor Scott............. who do you think is going to be the 'under the radar' rookie that suprises the most this year and why??

I'm not counting the rookies drafted in the first 3 rounds as they can be reasonably expected to start sometime during the campaign.

For me it's RB Latavius Murray. Some would say very similar in appearance and style to McFadden, I see a smooth RB with vision and a swerve (more than a juke) who has great hands and is a natural catcher out of the backfield. He runs with less violence than McFadden but is sure to get his chance this year when DMac inevitably misses a couple games.

I really looked into his game last year as I viewed him as a sleeper in the draft and Reggie agreed Laughing, he is now totally healthy after a knee ligament injury and hasn't lost any speed or change of direction and his pro day numbers are eye opening:

4.38 40 yd time (would be top 10 at the combine)
22 bench reps (would be top 5 for RBs at the combine)
6.81 3 cone drill (would be 2nd for RBs at the combine)

I believe Greg Olsen will try and use all our RBs to take the load off McFadden and this is where Murray will excel, he could even make McFadden expendable when his contract expires Wink
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really under the radar but Riviera(TE)

If you want to go way under the radar I would say Butler would be the guy just because production/skill wise similar to Streater.
Darbsk

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiberiusRising wrote:

If you want to go way under the radar I would say Butler would be the guy just because production/skill wise similar to Streater.

Do you think he will get the playing time Streater got with Moore, Streater, Ford and Criner all hopefully fit or do you see him outplaying one of them and stealing playing time?
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offense: TE Mychal Rivera
Defense: DE David Bass
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darbsk wrote:
TiberiusRising wrote:

Do you think he will get the playing time Streater got with Moore, Streater, Ford and Criner all hopefully fit or do you see him outplaying one of them and stealing playing time?

I think he is more talented than Criner to begin with (just my opinion). However if I were a betting man I would say at least two of those guys will be hurt at the same time at some point. Happened every year thus far and no reason to think it wont this year. So makes his way onto field because of injuries and gets more snaps ala Streater last season.
Darbsk

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiberiusRising wrote:
Darbsk wrote:
TiberiusRising wrote:

I think he is more talented than Criner to begin with (just my opinion). However if I were a betting man I would say at least two of those guys will be hurt at the same time at some point. Happened every year thus far and no reason to think it wont this year. So makes his way onto field because of injuries and gets more snaps ala Streater last season.

WR is a good bet after the (relative) success we've had late in the draft the last couple of years. I've been impressed with Butlers' hands on tape at least, wonder why he had so little production the last couple years.......
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darbsk wrote:
TiberiusRising wrote:
Darbsk wrote:
TiberiusRising wrote:

WR is a good bet after the (relative) success we've had late in the draft the last couple of years. I've been impressed with Butlers' hands on tape at least, wonder why he had so little production the last couple years.......

When he is talking in interviews it sounds as if he was inmature in college and didn't understand things wouldn't just be handed to him. Sounds like he realized that and grew up but it was already to late once he was on a team that couldn't get him the ball. The fact that our WR coach must have vouched for him speaks volumes though.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see where you think Murray has 'swerve'. He has literally no wiggle to his game at all. Straight runner who doesn't push the pile and runs a little upright.

That said, he has the best chance to make an impact because RB is the easiest position to translate to the NFL. However, he will be the #3 back on the depth chart.

Kasa is a guy who could beat out a weak group of TEs and put some numbers up working underneath.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
I don't see where you think Murray has 'swerve'. He has literally no wiggle to his game at all. Straight runner who doesn't push the pile and runs a little upright.

That said, he has the best chance to make an impact because RB is the easiest position to translate to the NFL. However, he will be the #3 back on the depth chart.

Kasa is a guy who could beat out a weak group of TEs and put some numbers up working underneath.

This. Although I don't expect much from Kasa. I think Rivera will likely outdo him. And I bet Murray will become our #1 after McFadden goes down. He'll start out splitting with Jennings but probably supplant him.

Edit: To be clear, I mean #1 for when McFadden is hurt. AKA #2 on the DC.

#FreeAgent

Last edited by Silver&Black88 on Thu May 23, 2013 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two more names to look out for are Jason Hunter (not a rookie, but very under the radar) and Stacy McGee.
Darbsk

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:

After watching Murray quite a bit last year i thought he had a smooth change of direction, not a juke or a sharp step like a Barry Sanders type for example, more like a Marcus Allen type glide where he moves his hips in anticipation of the defender and just does enough to get outside the defenders reach or forces an arm tackle that he can break. It's quite subtle in his running:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2rUpbfsHgE

@ 0:21 smooth step past LB
@ 1:15 beats S with sharp change of direction
@ 2:05 glides outside CB after standing him up
@ 4:02 great feet and smooth transition

As I say, he's not the most agile or dancing around type RB but he has got a subtle change of direction and change of pace which is enough as an arm tackle won't stop him. He's a poor mans Marcus Allen IMHO.
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:

You're right, he's a straight line runner who is very decisive and hits the hole hard, you are also right about him being an upright runner.

I agree his agility and 'wiggle' may not be a strength of his, but to say he "literally has no wiggle" is just false. Note that I have seen more UCF games than the ones on youtube, but just for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbsjQvVvb6w

or here at :27
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAu8aoMGz60

at 3:16, you just don't make that play if you have "literally no wiggle" so while it may not be an elite trait of his, and he may rely on other strengths of his to make plays,it's there and he has the ability. (I can dig up some more if you want)

He also would have been in the top 4 for RB's at the combine in the 3 cone drill which is a measure of quickness and agility.

IMO, he'll never be an elite RB, but he has the ability to be an above average, top 12 type of player (if given the chance to start) who will be reliable and able to get you those tough consistent yards with the ability to hit the big play every now and then.
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darbsk wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

After watching Murray quite a bit last year i thought he had a smooth change of direction, not a juke or a sharp step like a Barry Sanders type for example, more like a Marcus Allen type glide where he moves his hips in anticipation of the defender and just does enough to get outside the defenders reach or forces an arm tackle that he can break. It's quite subtle in his running:

As I say, he's not the most agile or dancing around type RB but he has got a subtle change of direction and change of pace which is enough as an arm tackle won't stop him. He's a poor mans Marcus Allen IMHO.

This is the nicest and most detailed way to say "lacks agility" that I have ever seen.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
Darbsk wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

This is the nicest and most detailed way to say "lacks agility" that I have ever seen.

Or, it's an evaluation that's not as black and white as "has no agility"
Big Rob

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latavius Murray, i think hes going to be a stud for us...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: