Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jerraud Powers in Two Plays
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
khodder


Moderator - MVP
Joined: 19 Dec 2005
Posts: 50176
Location: New New York
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Jerraud Powers in Two Plays Reply with quote

Well was just a little bit bored so thought I would go and have another look at some Powers on the All-22. I have broken down two plays here, both vs the Packers, one good, one not so good.

First the Good;



Powers lined up in Man Coverage, single high safety essentially covering the middle of the field, but will break on the ball.



Breaking into what would become trail man technique. Opens his hips up, is watching the receiver as one should in man coverage, is in close contact with the receiver in a good position to make a play on the ball if and when it is thrown in his direction.



Ball in midflight, the receiver (Jones) has turned his head for the football, Powers has recognized this he has stopped his feet and has turned his head to locate the football to make a play on it.




Two views at the point of the INT, good hands from Powers to stretch out and snag the football. It is poorly thrown from Rodgers and is too far inside (should be thrown outside shoulder between the receiver and the sideline, either an in-completion or a catch) however take nothing away from the efforts of Powers here is good coverage, showing off recognition and ballskills to come up with an INT against one of the best in the business.

Now the Bad



Powers at the top of the screen in off coverage vs Cobb.



Motion brings Cobb into the slot, Powers (In Man Coverage) follows Cobb into the slot. He is aligned slightly outside of Cobb, mainly due to the quickness of the snap from Rodgers.



Cobb breaks inside and Powers is too far away from his man (3 or 3.5 yards) far too much room for the QB to hit his target over the wide open middle. It is tough to play off man coverage especially against a quickly breaking route. Not the aggressive angle that has been taken here by Powers.



Powers in behind Cobb seems to have recovered some position here in coverage, but his momentum is taking him in the wrong direction. The ball is out of the QB's hands here and is well on its way to Cobb's hands.



The poor angle from Powers is shown up here. Not in a position to make a play on the ball (partially due to scheme) and now not in a position to make the tackle either. He makes a diving attempt, but he is well beaten. Cobb finds his way to the endzone for a 31 yard Touchdown.
_________________
FFMD 2014 - ARIZONA CARDINALS GM - CLICK ME - YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
mtdowner


Joined: 30 Jan 2013
Posts: 818
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great analysis. As of now it appears Powers is the #2 CB on the depth chart. There is plenty of competition at that spot, do you think Powers will be the starter to begin the season? If so, how do you think he will play?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
khodder


Moderator - MVP
Joined: 19 Dec 2005
Posts: 50176
Location: New New York
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think he starts at this stage. He reminds me a lot of William Gay. A guy who is going to be relatively good in short area coverage, but does not have long speed to stick with receivers going deep.

His hips are not all that fluid so he gets himself into issues at times when he either waits to long to open his hips and the receiver gets a 2-3 step jump on him or he opens them early and the receiver takes advantage.
_________________
FFMD 2014 - ARIZONA CARDINALS GM - CLICK ME - YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
iRobot


Joined: 17 Nov 2011
Posts: 789
Location: Mesa, AZ
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
I do think he starts at this stage. He reminds me a lot of William Gay. A guy who is going to be relatively good in short area coverage, but does not have long speed to stick with receivers going deep.

His hips are not all that fluid so he gets himself into issues at times when he either waits to long to open his hips and the receiver gets a 2-3 step jump on him or he opens them early and the receiver takes advantage.


I wonder what happens with Cason. I don't like Cason in the slot so I wonder what comes from the log jam at DB this year.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mtdowner


Joined: 30 Jan 2013
Posts: 818
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iRobot wrote:
khodder wrote:
I do think he starts at this stage. He reminds me a lot of William Gay. A guy who is going to be relatively good in short area coverage, but does not have long speed to stick with receivers going deep.

His hips are not all that fluid so he gets himself into issues at times when he either waits to long to open his hips and the receiver gets a 2-3 step jump on him or he opens them early and the receiver takes advantage.


I wonder what happens with Cason. I don't like Cason in the slot so I wonder what comes from the log jam at DB this year.


I'm sure Cason is competing for that #2 spot. I think I remember chiefs fans saying Javier Arenas was very effective at covering the slot so he might be that guy. Also, I think we could see Tyran Mathieu covering the slot later in the season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
iRobot


Joined: 17 Nov 2011
Posts: 789
Location: Mesa, AZ
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtdowner wrote:
iRobot wrote:
khodder wrote:
I do think he starts at this stage. He reminds me a lot of William Gay. A guy who is going to be relatively good in short area coverage, but does not have long speed to stick with receivers going deep.

His hips are not all that fluid so he gets himself into issues at times when he either waits to long to open his hips and the receiver gets a 2-3 step jump on him or he opens them early and the receiver takes advantage.


I wonder what happens with Cason. I don't like Cason in the slot so I wonder what comes from the log jam at DB this year.


I'm sure Cason is competing for that #2 spot. I think I remember chiefs fans saying Javier Arenas was very effective at covering the slot so he might be that guy. Also, I think we could see Tyran Mathieu covering the slot later in the season.


That's the thing.. if Arenas will be in the slot and possibly Mathieu.. doesn't seem like Cason would have a fit. He'd be $1M against the cap if cut.

Just an interesting predicament.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khodder


Moderator - MVP
Joined: 19 Dec 2005
Posts: 50176
Location: New New York
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't think Cason makes the cut;

1 - I don't see him being in our top 4 corners. (Peterson, Powers, Fleming, Arenas)
2 - He does not play ST's (An area where both Arenas and Fleming can excel)

Who they carry instead will be something to look at, but I do plan on having a bit more of a look at Cason and Powers in the not too distant future.
_________________
FFMD 2014 - ARIZONA CARDINALS GM - CLICK ME - YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
DJ_Fka


Joined: 13 Jan 2009
Posts: 4670
Location: Brisvegas, Land Down Under
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
I honestly don't think Cason makes the cut;

1 - I don't see him being in our top 4 corners. (Peterson, Powers, Fleming, Arenas)
2 - He does not play ST's (An area where both Arenas and Fleming can excel)

Who they carry instead will be something to look at, but I do plan on having a bit more of a look at Cason and Powers in the not too distant future.


Wont we carry 5 CBS and 4 S, or will it be the other way round this year?

I like Cason, but that trade for Arenas is gold.

Fleming is cheaper too, so he stays.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khodder


Moderator - MVP
Joined: 19 Dec 2005
Posts: 50176
Location: New New York
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ_Fka wrote:
khodder wrote:
I honestly don't think Cason makes the cut;

1 - I don't see him being in our top 4 corners. (Peterson, Powers, Fleming, Arenas)
2 - He does not play ST's (An area where both Arenas and Fleming can excel)

Who they carry instead will be something to look at, but I do plan on having a bit more of a look at Cason and Powers in the not too distant future.


Wont we carry 5 CBS and 4 S, or will it be the other way round this year?

I like Cason, but that trade for Arenas is gold.

Fleming is cheaper too, so he stays.


Our #5 corner is going to be a ST's ace most likely. There is also the fact that Bethel and Mathieu are likely to be slash guys that can play both S and CB, both of whom likely make the roster based on their versatility and in Bethel's case top notch ST's ability.

It will be interesting to see how things shake out, but I would not be surprised if Cason was not on the roster come week one.
_________________
FFMD 2014 - ARIZONA CARDINALS GM - CLICK ME - YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
love2theOLINE


Joined: 14 May 2008
Posts: 3478
Location: racist desert wasteland
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we are talking Fleming and DBs here is Urban

Quote:
What else is noticeable is the current spot of 2012 third-round pick Jamell Fleming. Much has been made of the ability of the Cardinals to split their roster into two different OTA workouts for much of every practice day. It gives the younger players many more reps than they would ever get normally (and allows the vets learning a new system plenty of work too.) But that means some guys who were on the 53-man roster last season are practicing over on the second field. Fleming is one of them. Again, it allows him to get reps he wouldn’t be getting on the main field. But when the numbers come down, Fleming looks like he’s down the depth chart (especially with fellow second-year man Justin Bethel, now working at cornerback, has been on the main field.)

http://blog.azcardinals.com/2013/05/23/noticing-arenas/

looks like Jamell needs to step it up or he will be the odd man out. Shame but he was having motivation problems last year too.
_________________
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.


thanks to sandwhich on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shawn


Joined: 02 Nov 2005
Posts: 5864
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would suck to cut a 3rd rounder after just one year. Especially one that we expected to be a starter, and one that showed some nice promise early on.
_________________

sig made by mike23md
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Boise&cards Fan


Joined: 03 Dec 2010
Posts: 3078
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect Fleming to be traded like Jefferson was last year.
_________________

That right I won. Thank you NS922 for the Sig.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
love2theOLINE


Joined: 14 May 2008
Posts: 3478
Location: racist desert wasteland
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawn wrote:
It would suck to cut a 3rd rounder after just one year. Especially one that we expected to be a starter, and one that showed some nice promise early on.


Needs to pull his head out, I remember he was happy to see the guys from OK signed at UDFAs but he should realize what is happening, maybe he will impress at TC but he is fighting to go uphill.

Had high hopes for especially we took him in the third but new regime and all.
_________________
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.


thanks to sandwhich on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
khodder


Moderator - MVP
Joined: 19 Dec 2005
Posts: 50176
Location: New New York
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we cut or trade Fleming we will do nothing but regret it.
_________________
FFMD 2014 - ARIZONA CARDINALS GM - CLICK ME - YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
DJ_Fka


Joined: 13 Jan 2009
Posts: 4670
Location: Brisvegas, Land Down Under
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He will get one more year
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group