Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Notes from OTA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nagahide13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
Louis Friend wrote:
I don't doubt he's gained weight, he looks fat. I don't see it as "bulking up" when it's all in his gut. But Mlive can spin it however they wish. Laughing

When people are trying to gain muscle mass, they will eat a lot more and gain mass both in muscle and in fat. When they've put on a satisfactory amount of muscle, then they 'cut,' by which I mean they reduce their caloric intake to lose the fat they put on. It's a lot more difficult to put on muscle weight if you're trying to maintain a low body fat percentage while doing so.

So right now he's probably bulking, and later on in the offseason he'll start cutting and lose the extra paunch.

Yeah. He's building mass bro!

Jrugges

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm good for Riaola honestly. Hopefully the extra mass helps him stand his ground in the middle a bit better. He must of signed on and read a few of my post...

Laughing
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nagahide13 wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
Louis Friend wrote:
I don't doubt he's gained weight, he looks fat. I don't see it as "bulking up" when it's all in his gut. But Mlive can spin it however they wish. Laughing

When people are trying to gain muscle mass, they will eat a lot more and gain mass both in muscle and in fat. When they've put on a satisfactory amount of muscle, then they 'cut,' by which I mean they reduce their caloric intake to lose the fat they put on. It's a lot more difficult to put on muscle weight if you're trying to maintain a low body fat percentage while doing so.

So right now he's probably bulking, and later on in the offseason he'll start cutting and lose the extra paunch.

Yeah. He's building mass bro!

Gotta love Fat Mac.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions-insider/article-1/Riley-Reiff-has-added-weight-in-anticipation-of-starting-at-left-tackle/9540adec-d3f0-4101-8573-9793242d406e

Quote:
It could also be the 10 pounds of muscle Reiff put on since last season to better prepare himself to be the Lions' starting left tackle. Reiff played last season at 305 pounds, but told me he was up to 315 at the end of mini-camp.

This is how you add muscle. No gut. Getting fat is NOT bulking up. Getting cut is different than turning fat into muscle. Reiff did it the right way. Raiola got fat.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Friend wrote:
http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions-insider/article-1/Riley-Reiff-has-added-weight-in-anticipation-of-starting-at-left-tackle/9540adec-d3f0-4101-8573-9793242d406e

Quote:
It could also be the 10 pounds of muscle Reiff put on since last season to better prepare himself to be the Lions' starting left tackle. Reiff played last season at 305 pounds, but told me he was up to 315 at the end of mini-camp.

This is how you add muscle. No gut. Getting fat is NOT bulking up. Getting cut is different than turning fat into muscle. Reiff did it the right way. Raiola got fat.

There is more then one way to do it. What RF said about gaining weight to bulk up was accurate. This is widely used among older guys with lower metabolism. They will then start to cut down cal intake and maintain metabolism which cuts.

We frown upon this technique as it puts a lot more stress on body but sometimes for older folks with less metabolism its the way to go

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to point that out, but couldn't figure out how to do it without sounding like a smart donkey.

Quite a difference between a 22yo and a 35yo.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
I was going to point that out, but couldn't figure out how to do it without sounding like a smart donkey.

Yea its tough to explain sometimes. I am at the point where i go up about 15-20 lbs then do same thing and cut back and get down to 205. Kind of a 6 month phase I have been on for couple years. I can pass my test at anytime but at my peak when I am due every six months.

I think about 50% of our force does the bulk up then cut down. Mainly the older guys with knee, back and other medical issues.

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
Louis Friend wrote:

Quote:

There is more then one way to do it. What RF said about gaining weight to bulk up was accurate. This is widely used among older guys with lower metabolism. They will then start to cut down cal intake and maintain metabolism which cuts.

We frown upon this technique as it puts a lot more stress on body but sometimes for older folks with less metabolism its the way to go

Both are appropriate, which is what I think you're getting at. Although, extra fat can even be beneficial for linemen because they would be harder to move and when they get going, harder to stop.

Also, you CANNOT turn fat into muscle. Generally you work to lose fat while trying to minimize muscle loss, or you work to gain muscle while trying to minimize fat gain. For Raiola, he is older so to put his body in the best anabolic state to gain muscle naturally he has to eat a lot more then the 22 year old guy out of college (detfan touched on this), thus having to put on alot more fat. There's nothing wrong with that.

Said the day after the Thanksgiving game.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuhPLEX wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
Louis Friend wrote:

Quote:

Both are appropriate, which is what I think you're getting at. Although, extra fat can even be beneficial for linemen because they would be harder to move and when they get going, harder to stop.

Also, you CANNOT turn fat into muscle. Generally you work to lose fat while trying to minimize muscle loss, or you work to gain muscle while trying to minimize fat gain. For Raiola, he is older so to put his body in the best anabolic state to gain muscle naturally he has to eat a lot more then the 22 year old guy out of college (detfan touched on this), thus having to put on alot more fat. There's nothing wrong with that.

Never said you can turn fat into muscle. I know how this works this is what I do. Thanks for the lecture though

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:

That and Reiff only added 10 pounds compared to Raiola adding 20 (according to reports).
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:

That and Reiff only added 10 pounds compared to Raiola adding 20 (according to reports).

Well 10 lbs muscle a bit tougher compared to 20 lbs fat but I doubt all 20 lbs was fat. I'd guess 5-8 of 20 likely muscle. 10 lbs of fat is rather larger then 10 lbs muscle so he could have added the 5-8 muscle just overshadowed by the 12-15 of fat

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do the bulk up method, but don't bother cutting back down.

Adopt-A-Lion - Larry Warford, OG as in Original Gangsta
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
I do the bulk up method, but don't bother cutting back down.

Me too. Especially when I quit smoking.
dmudd

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So dline isnt the only line getting bigger. This is now fox reiff and riaola gaining weight. Sims gained weight last year, and with adding warford our oline could be pretty big.
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
Louis Friend wrote:

Quote:

Never said you can turn fat into muscle. I know how this works this is what I do. Thanks for the lecture though

I clearly wasn't referring to you (see bold), and I actually AGREED with what you said... why do you have to be so condescending for no reason?

Said the day after the Thanksgiving game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: