Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tell me about Glover Quin and now DJ Swearinger
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kethnaab

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Tell me about Glover Quin and now DJ Swearinger Reply with quote

I haven't had the opportunity to really study him before he got shipped off to Detroit, and i really like DJ Swearinger as a player. I've read here that some of you see DJ Swearinger as filling the "Glover Quin" type role. With Ed Reed possibly on the mend, what do you see that you lost with Glover Quin, and what are you gaining with DJ Swearinger?
dsorc

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reed and Quin play different roles at Safety. In run downs, when we played base, Quin could play deep or in the box alternating roles with Danieal Manning. However, in passing downs we primarily used a dime package in essentially a nickel formation. Quin would be lining up as a LB over the TE and usually would cover the TE man-to-man. In that sense, the critical skill sets that Quin provided was the coverage ability of CB with the tackling ability of a LB, though obviously a bit watered down in both respects. Quin is best as an in-the-box SS and though he can cover deep halfs, I don't think he got asked to be a cover 1 deep safety all that much.

In that sense, when we signed Reed we knew that he wouldn't be replacing Quin directly since nobody expects Reed to be playing in the box. The hope is that Swearinger, who was already known to be a big hitter, will also hopefully be capable enough at covering TEs. Reed and Manning will still be the starters though Manning will be shifting to SS. Swearinger would be coming in on dime and playing in the box. If Reed is out, I think the likely scenario is that Manning would shift back to FS and Swearinger would become the full time SS.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so Quin was a pretty darn good player for you then? Why'd you guys let him walk? Too much green?
dsorc

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most fans perceived Quin as our highest priority FA this offseason. That being said, he's a good but not great player that doesn't fit in all schemes. His biggest weakness was his inability to create turnovers. My guess is that the FO set a price that they thought he was worth and Detroit paid more than that.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, that's kinda what I thought, based on what I saw from the outside. Thanks. Smile
ServantofYHWH

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quin IMO was like every other safety we've had:

First year at safety: awesome!
Second year at safety: big drop off

Quinn was a good thumper, disciplined, and could cover TEs fairly well.

^Gopher<3Wrestler^
simonwayne wrote:
The problem is not many people are like me, they'll complain when it fits their agenda and completely ignore bad officiating when it doesn't
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quin was the best Saftey the Texans have had in the Kubiak era, but thats not saying too much

he was average as a CB, but they transitioned him to safety just 2 seasons ago and he was very solid for us in those 2 seasons. Im not sure he will be the same player for Detroit as he was for us, he was the product of being a good player but a great fit in our system. If the Lions play on playing him as a tradition FS then they have made a mistake

Swearinger has been looking good thus far and hopefully will prove ready to be a starting safety for years to come

I wouldnt be surprised if we dont go the same route in the future we went with Quin and move a CB back to S

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
so Quin was a pretty darn good player for you then? Why'd you guys let him walk? Too much green?

I'll take a swing at that.

Money has a way of altering perceptions. As an overachiever playing on a 4th round rookie contract, Glover Quin was a steady if unspectacular player, but a solid bargain. Jack of all trades - master of none as he was an above average run defender, but rarely made anything happen with explosive hits or forced fumbles and as a pass defender he could hang with most TE's and some slot receivers, but not the elites we face in the playoffs. A good blue collar type who was a sure tackler, but today's safety needs to contribute game changing plays and Quin was "just a guy" unless Rusty Smith was playing QB (which will never happen again). When you start looking at paying a guy like that $23.5 million, it's out of scope with what he brings to the table which is pretty easily replaced.

Then you get to the Ed Reed decision. The Texans corners each have proven vulnerable to getting beat deep lacked a true "safety" to help make up for their sins and Ed is the best ever at it. We also have lacked an aggressive defender who punishes QBs who jack the ball up to avoid the pass rush and Reed finally brings some promise of doing more than just tackling receivers after the catch but sees the play develop and is ready for the pick and hopefully a few returns. The Texans clearly needed a presence that could handle and help the secondary Brady/Manning/Brees/Rodgers/Flacco and other elite QBs who did damage the past few years (Quin was simply NOT a big game player).

We've covered this at length elsewhere, but the Texans #3 safety plays 50% of downs and Swearinger takes the Quin "in the box" role on these downs while Reed will stick in the back where Demps/Nolan had no business the past two years. Manning becomes the primary TE coverage option past the first 10 yards.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
norg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

last memory of Quinn him getting trucked by New England TE hernandez ........
ServantofYHWH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ looks like he'll be similar to Quinn IMO.

Also you can rearrange his name to make "wear Singer". That's sorta cool.

^Gopher<3Wrestler^
simonwayne wrote:
The problem is not many people are like me, they'll complain when it fits their agenda and completely ignore bad officiating when it doesn't
jch1911

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ServantofYHWH wrote:

or DJ will leave you Swearing or in the ER

Wink Dancing d'oh! Brick wall Applause Shame on you
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
ServantofYHWH wrote:

Wow. Anagrams. Is this what the offseason lull has been reduced to? For what it's worth Apollo Stallion = "L Solo Anal Pilot." Don't know what that means, but mods better stir the content pot with something interesting before we start nicknaming the whole team...

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
ServantofYHWH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

L Solo Anal Pilot wrote:
jch1911 wrote:
ServantofYHWH wrote:

Wow. Anagrams. Is this what the offseason lull has been reduced to? For what it's worth Apollo Stallion = "L Solo Anal Pilot." Don't know what that means, but mods better stir the content pot with something interesting before we start nicknaming the whole team...

Andre Johnson = A red Johnsonn

Edit: Matt Schaub = Attach Bums. How fitting.

^Gopher<3Wrestler^
simonwayne wrote:

Last edited by ServantofYHWH on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
mse326

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
jch1911 wrote:
ServantofYHWH wrote:

Maybe we find nicknaming the whole team to be interesting? Think

#JDI
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ServantofYHWH wrote:

I think DJ will eventually become a better safety than Quin IMO. Unlike Quin, Swearinger doesn't have stone hands. Im excited about Swearinger's potential!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: