Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What do we really know about Greg Olsen?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loveless

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are making some awesome points sofar, but when i read something like this....

"The only offensive statistic that really matters is points per game. The average scoring per game for an Olson led offense throughout his career is 15.6, which is actually worse than the 18.6 the Raiders averaged under Knapp in 2012. The best year Olson had in terms of points per game game was 2006 when he led the Rams to 22.3.
Here's the kicker though...the Rams' head coach at the time, Scott Linehan, was actually calling the plays in 2006. Know this, and comparing the other years of Olson's offenses, it makes one wonder if Olson can call plays effectively."

^^^It scares the crap out of me.... Shocked and that was the year Steven Jackson did great (1500 yards, 13 td's)...im not trying to be a downer in a time to celebrate (woodson signing) but i dont want to also live in fantasy mode with unrealistic expectations....(but i will say that this kinda does effect my fantasy football draft ) Mr. Green
dawsonleery

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way this offense will work with Olson as OC is if the O-line under Tony Sparano takes it to the next level. If the line is playing good and McFadden is going off, we should be ok. Again, I don't think Olson was a good hire but we'll see.
NCOUGHMAN

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawsonleery wrote:
Positives

- He schemes around the talent on the team. He puts his players in the best positions to have successes. Raiders are returning to a PBS because Olson sees that's what best for the team unlike Knapp.

- Olson is influenced by Jon Gruden. Greg Olson prefers more of a WCO, he loves quick passes, slants, screens... Something that really favors Matt Flynn.. He's a great fit for this off-season.

- Has a history of always having good RBs, Steven Jackson enjoyed great seasons under Olson and Blount had a 1,000 season as an undrafted rookie in 2010 with the Bucs.

- A young Bucs team went 10-6 in 2010 with Olson as OC

Negatives

- Has only been apart of 2 winning team his whole career

- As an OC his teams only average 15.3 points per game, worse than Greg Knapp.

- Doesn't have a ton of OC experience.

- Can't seem to hang onto a job for very long.

nice write up Cool

green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN > all of you

Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
His name is Olson. Like said already, he doesn't have a specific scheme or tendencies. He schemes around the strengths and weaknesses of his roster. IIRC, he had success with the running game and the red zone offense whenever he was the OC. He's calling the plays, not Sparano.

This.

Olson is known as a guy who gets the ball in his playmakers hands. He doesn't need an elite TE for example, but when he had Winslow he got him the ball.

IMO, he's going to work the offense to make sure DMAC gets his touches as well as Reece and Ford who have ability to make big plays.

I think most OCs think and talk this way. We'll see if he actually comes through. He doesn't have much film to work with from last seasons disaster, but maybe he can check out the 2 seasons prior

Most ZBS OCs preach patience because they now it takes time to develop chemistry. People forget that Kubiak was on the hot seat before his offense kicked in and he won the division.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
Darkness wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
His name is Olson. Like said already, he doesn't have a specific scheme or tendencies. He schemes around the strengths and weaknesses of his roster. IIRC, he had success with the running game and the red zone offense whenever he was the OC. He's calling the plays, not Sparano.

This.

Olson is known as a guy who gets the ball in his playmakers hands. He doesn't need an elite TE for example, but when he had Winslow he got him the ball.

IMO, he's going to work the offense to make sure DMAC gets his touches as well as Reece and Ford who have ability to make big plays.

I think most OCs think and talk this way. We'll see if he actually comes through. He doesn't have much film to work with from last seasons disaster, but maybe he can check out the 2 seasons prior

Most ZBS OCs preach patience because they now it takes time to develop chemistry. People forget that Kubiak was on the hot seat before his offense kicked in and he won the division.

While that is true, there were plenty of other reasons our offense was ineffective due to Knapp. Granted, we aren't working with the cream of the crop, but still. 3rd and 14? You can bet your house on a Draw play.

BigBillsFan13 wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Somewhere, RR strokes his mustache with pride
Among other things...
NCOUGHMAN

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
Darkness wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:

This.

While that is true, there were plenty of other reasons our offense was ineffective due to Knapp. Granted, we aren't working with the cream of the crop, but still. 3rd and 14? You can bet your house on a Draw play.

yea right play action (even tho we had no running game) all the way with cp running right into a blitz Laughing

green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN > all of you

Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101
RaiderX

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freeman and Winslow had their best year under Olson, correct? He also improved the run game wherever he went. Not that it won't be hard to do better than last years run game but it still says something.

SaveourSonics wrote:
Yea, RaiderX wins. We can all just top acting like this is a matter of opinion. MY GOD.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCOUGHMAN wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
Darkness wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:

This.

yea right play action (even tho we had no running game) all the way with cp running right into a blitz Laughing

Dude straight up.

BigBillsFan13 wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Somewhere, RR strokes his mustache with pride
Among other things...
Dreadymatt

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice optimisitc slant on te offensive this coming year

http://raidalove.wordpress.com/2013/05/24/the-futures-bright-the-futures-silver-and-black/
dawsonleery

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ask any Tampa Bay fan they will tell you Greg Olson is the the worst OC ever. Olson would always call the end around with Arrelious Benn, he did it so much it got nicked named "The Benn Around"... It would always result in 2 yards at the most... But he kept on calling it. Even Bears fans have bad memories of Greg Olson for some reason and he was only a QB coach in Chicago. Honestly if I was Dennis Allen, I would have just Promoted John DeFilippo or gave Ted Gilmore a chance at OC. I would have rather gone with the unknown, than go with another guy who is so similar to Knapp in terms of results.
Preacher

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is not Tom Walsh, nor is he Gregg Knapp.....don't know that much more about him, but that is good enough for me.

Thanks JTJagg7754

There is good and evil, choose good.
NickButera

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawsonleery wrote:
If you ask any Tampa Bay fan they will tell you Greg Olson is the the worst OC ever. Olson would always call the end around with Arrelious Benn, he did it so much it got nicked named "The Benn Around"... It would always result in 2 yards at the most... But he kept on calling it. Even Bears fans have bad memories of Greg Olson for some reason and he was only a QB coach in Chicago. Honestly if I was Dennis Allen, I would have just Promoted John DeFilippo or gave Ted Gilmore a chance at OC. I would have rather gone with the unknown, than go with another guy who is so similar to Knapp in terms of results.

Actually that might not be too much of a bad thing if McFadden can stay healthy. Sending up around the outside usually results in good things.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
DudeWhat??

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raiderfan19 wrote:
We don't have a guy like Freeman or even Cam so its just really hard to tell.

Ahhh!! Come on bro! With ears like these I can hear you! Not cool bro!

lol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
Darkness wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:

This.

You mean until Peyton got hurt.
Ro4DPoY

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitty wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
Darkness wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:

This.

You mean until Peyton got hurt.

+1 Peyton owned the Texans literally, it's like he could want into their locker room go to their fridge take theyre mini donuts and gatorade and they couldn't say NOTHING...literally drop half eaten donuts on the way out and not give a damn.

Been wanting to do this for a while now. Let's see what happens.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: