Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

This Ain't Raider Talk Baby! V. 4.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 56, 57, 58  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitty wrote:
Darkness wrote:
bitty wrote:
Darkness wrote:
No such thing as football metrics. Unlike basketball and baseball, there are a too many different variables that football players are effected by to objectionally analyze players by stats.

Momentum is a big deal in football and It can't be quantified

Momentum is in every sport though. I mean how football players are effected by their teammates, and coaching. It's impossible to come up with a system that can analyze players by stats because football is so team oriented and different on every play.

Momentum is in every sport but because the way football is setup it's harder to stop. What can you do call a time out? That will hurt you at the end of the game also with challenging plays and doesn't change the situation much.

Sports Analytics is a euphemism for moneyball, sabermetrics, etc. I think that the disconnect is that you two are using too narrow of a definition and of course it is applied differently across different sports. However the trend is undeniable. Less and less are evaluators using "ye ole eye ball" test as the sole measure of athletes. Al Davis was one of the first to develop size/speed ratio which was revolutionary at the time according to Lombardi. However, Davis never continued to evolve or implement the concepts of others. Size/Speed ratio has now evolved into the "Explosion Formula" which takes into account many more measurements. Many NFL organizations have designated predetermined amounts to each position based on what they have statistically determined influences wins. It all falls under the umbrella of sports analysis.

If sports analysis wasn't getting more mathematical look at the combine profiles in 2013 to 2003. There's a reason there are significantly more measurements. You can continue to be in denial or bury your head in the sand but sports analysis does exist. Organizations who are being left behind are the ones not consistently questioning the relevance of their methods.
RaiderX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just heard Schefter on ESPN say the Browns are open to moving Josh Gordon. They're piling up draft picks so I wonder how low they'd be willing to go to move him.

Team needs a legit #1 WR.

SaveourSonics wrote:
Yea, RaiderX wins. We can all just top acting like this is a matter of opinion. MY GOD.
BlackPrestige92

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaiderX wrote:
Just heard Schefter on ESPN say the Browns are open to moving Josh Gordon. They're piling up draft picks so I wonder how low they'd be willing to go to move him.

A lot of guys around here like Gordon, is he worth it? I mean, what'd be his price for you all?

If Phil Jackson came back, still no coaching me, Im uncoachable, Im unsociable.
-Kendrick Lamar
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackPrestige92 wrote:
RaiderX wrote:

A lot of guys around here like Gordon, is he worth it? I mean, what'd be his price for you all?

Thankfully, McKenzie is tight with his draft picks. Imo, Gordon is a mirage. All that physical talent wrapped around a straight knucklehead. Gordon is basically DHB, a rare physical talent that can't catch less the work ethic and character. If you like Gordon then you should have been more of an advocate for keeping DHB.
RaiderX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Jon Beason's future with Carolina might be in question.

When healthy the guy is a top 5 ILB. Massive upgrade over a guy like Roach who is solid.

Should the Raiders consider trading for him?

SaveourSonics wrote:
Yea, RaiderX wins. We can all just top acting like this is a matter of opinion. MY GOD.
wizardg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaiderX wrote:

When healthy the guy is a top 5 ILB. Massive upgrade over a guy like Roach who is solid.

He's been hurt so much the last 2-3 years it's hard to justify anything more than a NFL minimum contract.

Reggie likes signing formar ballers missing kidneys, eyes, spleens, MCLs, etc. lol
Professor Oak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaiderX wrote:

He's only played 8 games since 2010 & is coming off a microfracture knee surgery. He will never be the player he once was.

His future in the NFL is more in question than his future with Carolina.
RaidersAreOne

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally beat GTA 5. Shorter game than I thought it would be honestly. Really fun overall though.

First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
JTagg7754 on the sig.
Dat Raider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaidersAreOne wrote:
Finally beat GTA 5. Shorter game than I thought it would be honestly. Really fun overall though.

Me too. I'm just buying planes and all other types of stuff with Franklin and Michael.
RaiderX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaidersAreOne wrote:

GTA IV was really short compared to V.

SaveourSonics wrote:
RaidersAreOne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dat Raider wrote:
RaidersAreOne wrote:

Me too. I'm just buying planes and all other types of stuff with Franklin and Michael.

Ive been wondering, how the heck do you keep making tons of money after the final mission? Like I noticed there are tons of properties for sale. But they are each like $30,000,000+. How are you supposed to afford that? Im assuming you cant keep doing random heists after the final mission?

JTagg7754 on the sig.
bitty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://newnfldraft.com

Scroll down half a page there is a trick shot video of Johnny Football it's a must see.
RaidersAreOne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitty wrote:
http://newnfldraft.com

Scroll down half a page there is a trick shot video of Johnny Football it's a must see.

That last one. Shocked

JTagg7754 on the sig.
DirtyHarry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
BlackPrestige92 wrote:
RaiderX wrote:

Thankfully, McKenzie is tight with his draft picks. Imo, Gordon is a mirage. All that physical talent wrapped around a straight knucklehead. Gordon is basically DHB, a rare physical talent that can't catch less the work ethic and character. If you like Gordon then you should have been more of an advocate for keeping DHB.

I'm sorry ur confusing josh Gordon with Greg little. Josh Gordon is a beast

JonesDrew32 wrote:
38-10 Chargers

This game should definitely bring some lulz from the Raiders side.
Darkness

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
bitty wrote:
Darkness wrote:
bitty wrote:
Darkness wrote:
No such thing as football metrics. Unlike basketball and baseball, there are a too many different variables that football players are effected by to objectionally analyze players by stats.

Momentum is a big deal in football and It can't be quantified

Momentum is in every sport though. I mean how football players are effected by their teammates, and coaching. It's impossible to come up with a system that can analyze players by stats because football is so team oriented and different on every play.

Momentum is in every sport but because the way football is setup it's harder to stop. What can you do call a time out? That will hurt you at the end of the game also with challenging plays and doesn't change the situation much.

Sports Analytics is a euphemism for moneyball, sabermetrics, etc. I think that the disconnect is that you two are using too narrow of a definition and of course it is applied differently across different sports. However the trend is undeniable. Less and less are evaluators using "ye ole eye ball" test as the sole measure of athletes. Al Davis was one of the first to develop size/speed ratio which was revolutionary at the time according to Lombardi. However, Davis never continued to evolve or implement the concepts of others. Size/Speed ratio has now evolved into the "Explosion Formula" which takes into account many more measurements. Many NFL organizations have designated predetermined amounts to each position based on what they have statistically determined influences wins. It all falls under the umbrella of sports analysis.

If sports analysis wasn't getting more mathematical look at the combine profiles in 2013 to 2003. There's a reason there are significantly more measurements. You can continue to be in denial or bury your head in the sand but sports analysis does exist. Organizations who are being left behind are the ones not consistently questioning the relevance of their methods.

Are there Saber Metrics for the actual game of football or aren't there? You continually bring them up like you're some expert and it's accepted by our GM, yet you can't give an example. Again, there are too many variables on every single play to come up with a system similar to the one basketball and baseball have. If you're just talking about draft measurables and draft philosophy, then that's something entirely different. That's where the disconnect is. That isnt the same thing as saber metrics so stop throwing that word around.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Page 28 of 58

Jump to: