Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

OTAs: Spikes no show, Cannon plays RG, Dobson made a catch!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: OTAs: Spikes no show, Cannon plays RG, Dobson made a catch! Reply with quote

Quote:
#Patriots OTAs: Spikes and Bolden MIA. Gronkowski and Edelman with injury absences. McCourty nursing that shoulder, but present.

http://twitter.com/Mary_Paoletti/statuses/336877870779621376

Quote:
... Danny Amendola leading presence at WR. Looks quick as advertised. ... TE Jake Ballard participating on limited basis; some good run ... Assistant coach Brian Daboll working most closely with OL alongside Dante Scarnecchia ... Marcus Cannon gets initial work at RG.

http://twitter.com/MikeReiss/statuses/336878166473842689

Quote:
During special teams drills, saw Tom Brady & QBs working solely with WRs Michael Jenkins and Danny Amendola. Building chemistry.

http://twitter.com/MikeReiss/statuses/336878406568402944

Quote:
Among outside WRs, thought Michael Jenkins was most notable presence. One nice sideline grab for rookie Aaron Dobson.

http://twitter.com/MikeReiss/statuses/336878671753256961

Quote:
Brady spent a TON of time working with Amendola and Jenkins at OTAs today.

http://twitter.com/cpriceNFL/statuses/336879144543584256

Quote:
Aaron Dobson with nice catch in traffic.

http://twitter.com/cpriceNFL/statuses/336879384520699905

Quote:
Leon Washington gets lots of work as kick returner.

http://twitter.com/cpriceNFL/statuses/336879590087749632

Quote:
Jake Ballard also spent some one on one time with Brady.

http://twitter.com/cpriceNFL/statuses/336881106899070976

***Update***
Quote:
Bolden was the only surprising absence but a source said he just tweaked something and is here at Gillette.

http://twitter.com/jeffphowe/statuses/336883764854681601
Tom Brady Tribute

Last edited by Billy Spikes on Tue May 21, 2013 12:39 pm; edited 5 times in total
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting Cannon gets work at RG, a position most people feel would be more natural for him, even though he has limited experience there.
Tom Brady Tribute
Richter

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh brother, can Jenkins be cut now? Wasting time and reps on him, when he can't get open anymore. Get the rookies involved ASAP.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
Bolden was the only surprising absence but a source said he just tweaked something and is here at Gillette.

http://twitter.com/jeffphowe/statuses/336883764854681601
Tom Brady Tribute
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Boyce still nursing the foot?

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
Is Boyce still nursing the foot?

Yes.

Quote:
The wide receivers were an interesting group to watch. Second-rounder Aaron Dobson made an electric catch on the right sideline on a pass from Tom Brady, and Michael Jenkins got a lot of chances to work with the starting quarterback, though his reps were hit or miss. Danny Amendola also had a good showing. Fourth-rounder Josh Boyce is still recovering from a broken pinky toe and spent a portion of practice on the stationary bike. Right tackle Sebastian Vollmer also had a quick spurt on the bike.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/the_blitz/2013/05/ota_observations_gronkowski_among_four_absentees_hernandez
Tom Brady Tribute
I_GET_SAX

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The wide receivers were an interesting group to watch. Second-rounder Aaron Dobson made an electric catch on the right sideline on a pass from Tom Brady

Hope to hear a lot of that in the coming years...

AAP-Chandler Jones-12 tkls, 2 sax, 1 FF & 1 TD
Wk 2 AFC POTW
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4743640/observations-from-tuesday-ota

Quote:
1. Attendance: Four players were missing from today's OTA: linebacker Brandon Spikes, tight end Rob Gronkowski, running back Brandon Bolden and wide receiver Julian Edelman. Among that group, Bolden is the lone surprise, as Gronkowski and Edelman's absences are injury-related, while Spikes was not present on Monday. A host of other players, including defensive back Devin McCourty, tight end Aaron Hernandez and receiver Josh Boyce were on the field but non-participants in drills.

2. A lineup note: After working extensively as the top right tackle last offseason (while Sebastian Vollmer was nursing injuries), third-year player Marcus Cannon was aligned as a right guard on Tuesday. That could be due to a number of factors, including the absence of Dan Connolly (who was off to the side of the field; he had shoulder surgery earlier this offseason) and presence of veteran swing tackle Will Svitek, who worked on the right side of the line (Vollmer spent part of the practice off to the side as well). Cannon seems like a candidate to work as a top interior reserve this offseason after the team lost Donald Thomas via free agency.

3. Ballard returns: Tuesday was our first opportunity to see Jake Ballard on the field as a Patriot, and the well-built tight end didn't appear to be showing the effects of his major knee injury suffered in Super Bowl XLVI. Ballard did spend part of the on-field session working on resistance running with a team strength coach, but was able to participate in the majority of practice reps. Ballard was functional athletically before the injury, carving his niche as a tough run blocker with dependable hands in the passing game. He still isn't a speed tight end, but he looked reliable again as a pass catcher.

4. The ups and downs of Dobson: Second-round wide receiver Aaron Dobson could be in line to compete for a starting job this season, and he projects to work as a outside target given his big frame. He flashed on Tuesday with a massive catch target and the ability to high point the ball in traffic, both of which made him successful at Marshall. The downside to his day was a couple of catches he should have made. As is the case with any rookie, there's plenty of room to grow.

5. Productive day for Jenkins: The player that Dobson may be competing with for a starting job, Michael Jenkins, separated down the field on a couple of occasions. Jenkins' speed has noticeably diminished during his career, but he's a long target with strong hands and can be a mentor for the Patriots' young wideouts. The Patriots covet reliability in their receivers, and while limited athletically, that's part of what Jenkins brings to the table.

6. Washington, Slater returning kicks: The Patriots worked on the kickoff return team today, allowing both Leon Washington and Matthew Slater the opportunity to field a number of returns. Washington projects as a possible starter in that role this season, as he finished second in the NFL in kickoff return average in 2012. As is customary, the Patriots worked on field goal/field goal block at the conclusion of practice.

7. Passing game focus: As we expected to be the case, the Patriots were focused heavily on the passing game. Without pads, it's difficult to do much with the running game other than work on fits and backs seeing the hole. With that in mind, it's more difficult to evaluate the performances of running backs and linemen.

8. Brady works with veteran wideouts: During special teams drills, Tom Brady worked hard with a pair of veteran free agent additions, as both Danny Amendola and Jenkins joined him during those periods. Jenkins isn't a special teams factor at this point of his career, while Amendola will likely only see work as a punt returner if he does play in the kicking game at all. With their limited special teams responsbilities, they'll likely continue to use those periods as an opportunity to build chemistry with Brady.

9. Amendola looks sharp: The Patriots biggest free agent addition was Amendola, and while there's never been a question about his talent, it was enjoyable to see him on the field for the first time. What stands out? His change of direction skills, body control and ability to work down the field as a receiver. The Patriots need him to be a big factor in 2013, and he looked sharp in our first viewing experience.

10. Daboll stands close to Scarnecchia: The precise role of Brian Daboll remains unclear, but he spent much of practice nearby offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia. A pair of offensive line coaches is not uncommon in the NFL, and Daboll could be utilized to assist Scarnecchia in addition to other responsibilities this season. He's a versatile coach. Jerry Schuplinski, added as a part of the Patriots coaching/scouting staff from John Carroll University this offseason, shadowed offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels for much of practice.

11. Odds and ends: It's tough to evaluate much on linemen during OTA's, but it's hard to miss new defensive lineman Tommy Kelly. Like Vince Wilfork, he's a mountain of a man, standing at 6-6... Ryan Mallett was picked off by Dont'a Higthower during a passing drill... Armond Armstead showed some ability to bend and torque his frame off the edge... Dane Fletcher was back on the field and didn't seem to be showing any signs of limitations from his 2012 knee injury.

Tom Brady Tribute
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
Oh brother, can Jenkins be cut now? Wasting time and reps on him, when he can't get open anymore. Get the rookies involved ASAP.

I agree with you on principle (that we shouldn't waste time on Jenkins), but...

1) With Edelman, Boyce, Gronk, and Hernandez on the sideline, he's not exactly freezing people out.

2) It looks like there was a lot of ST work based on the tweets, and Jenkins was free to work with Brady while Dobson was playing on ST. Perhaps Jenkins' high workload was more of a function of availability than anything else.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Brady Tribute
Richter

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
Richter wrote:

1) With Edelman, Boyce, Gronk, and Hernandez on the sideline, he's not exactly freezing people out.

2) It looks like there was a lot of ST work based on the tweets, and Jenkins was free to work with Brady while Dobson was playing on ST. Perhaps Jenkins' high workload was more of a function of availability than anything else.

Why is Dobson on special teams? He's the only guy right now that looks like a legit prospect to play outside and perform at a high level. I'd rather he get the extra work with Brady, because I think he'll be called upon to take a lot of snaps.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
Richter wrote:

Why is Dobson on special teams? He's the only guy right now that looks like a legit prospect to play outside and perform at a high level. I'd rather he get the extra work with Brady, because I think he'll be called upon to take a lot of snaps.

Every rookie works on special teams. It's been that way for the whole Belichick era. Whether it's coverage, return, PAT/FG whatever. I can't think of any rookie who wasn't involved early on.

Just part of the system. You have to figure we will see both Dobson and Boyce tried on both returns and coverage units. Other than Moss and Ochocinco, I can't remember a WR who didn't play some role in special teams. Welker and even Glenn worked on return units, Brown played on all units at one point or another, Patten was a backup on return and coverage etc.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spikes and his agent should realize he's almost certainly out of New England next year. He should be doing as much as possible to present himself as the consummate teammate and leader. Those intangibles will get him a bit more than his fairly limited skill set would normally fetch on the open market.

A guy who has already been suspended, had (minor) character issues coming out of school and now is holding out? Can't say that's going to help next winter. 2-down players don't fetch a ton these days, especially when they have questions about their personality.
Richter

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Richter wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
Richter wrote:

Every rookie works on special teams. It's been that way for the whole Belichick era. Whether it's coverage, return, PAT/FG whatever. I can't think of any rookie who wasn't involved early on.

Just part of the system. You have to figure we will see both Dobson and Boyce tried on both returns and coverage units. Other than Moss and Ochocinco, I can't remember a WR who didn't play some role in special teams. Welker and even Glenn worked on return units, Brown played on all units at one point or another, Patten was a backup on return and coverage etc.

But has there been a year where a rookie on the roster is the only guy on the roster in line to start at a certain position? They don't have other options, unless you think one of the mediocre veteran signings can actually make a splash. They gutted the receiving corps, and Dobson basically has to be the guy right away. I get the whole culture argument, but extraordinary circumstances trump culture, in my estimation. Relying on Jenkins is a mistake.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Richter wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
Richter wrote:

But has there been a year where a rookie on the roster is the only guy on the roster in line to start at a certain position? They don't have other options, unless you think one of the mediocre veteran signings can actually make a splash. They gutted the receiving corps, and Dobson basically has to be the guy right away. I get the whole culture argument, but extraordinary circumstances trump culture, in my estimation. Relying on Jenkins is a mistake.

You should know Belichick well enough to know that Dobson isn't going to be handed a job. He will have to earn it. And if it takes him longer to develop than we hope, he will have to contribute on special teams.

How many rookies have been opening day starters? Regardless of need or how good they look in pre-season? Not many. If the season opened today, I bet Jenkins would be on the field for the first play. That doesn't mean he is going to make the team or start, but right now the rookies need to learn the core fundamentals of the team structure.

Chad Jackson wasn't handed a job over a geriatric Troy Brown or mediocrities like Reche Caldwell and Doug Gabriel. Taylor Price not only couldn't beat out crappy players for playing time, but he didn't do enough on special teams to warrant being a game day active and that was (IMO) a contributing factor to his release.

We all want Dobson to be ready for a heavy workload on opening day, but that's probably not going to be the case. Certainly, it hasn't been the case with young WR's or rookies in general. Belichick has proven time and time again he will go with a safe, reliable option over an unprepared, too green or otherwise risky but higher ceiling (or flat-out more talented) option.

The best thing Dobson, Boyce, Moe, Harrison et al can do to help their chances of being the big upgrade we'd like to see at WR is to guarantee themselves a game day active spot. And the best way to do that is prove to be valuable in as many ways as possible while they acclimate to being an NFL WR.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: