Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

wideout battle
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
You mean Paul the return man, gunner and blocker on special teams?

Yeah. I'll be shocked if he's a gunner. John Keim, Brian Tinsman and other beat reporters have been saying the same thing for months

I dont think that Paul will be a gunner if he is a converted TE. But we'll see. I really think that the FO wanted Paul to be that possession WR but he never really panned out, so they converted him to TE to be what Reed is going to be to Davis.

Paulsen is a big blocking reliable guy who can also catch. So it makes more sense to have those 3 playing TE than Paul who will not see the field.
He was a gunner last year after they converted him to tight end.

He's our second best blocking tight end. He's our fastest tight end and most of what he has to work on as a tight end is getting used to the routes as last year was the first year in his life that he had played the tight end position.

If he can start catching the ball better, I guarentee they find a spot for him as a special teams player, because he's already good at that and blocking.

Shanahan made room for him last year and with Zo gone I think he'll do so again.

Shanahan also said he sees us having 4 tight end sets, which means that he sees Paul making the team.

Peterson will be on the practice squad one more year and if he develops more its between he or Paul next year as to who makes the roster and if we keep Davis

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only stone cold lock from all of our receivers is Pierre Garcon and that's due as much to his contract as his ability ($5.6M salary (now fully guaranteed), $8.8M signing bonus pro-ration remaining ... along with $0.4M in other bonuses (roster and workout), cutting him would cost the team $8.8M this year in cap space and $6.6M next year).

Beyond Garcon, the only receiver who is currently under contract beyond this year is Hankerson (I'm not counting guys like Skye Dawson, Lance Lewis, Chip Reeves, and Nick Williams). Aldrick Robinson could easily be here next year because he is a exclusive rights free agent and thus cheap with zero leverage.

Beyond that, it's anyone's chance to step up.

On the tight end front, Davis is likely to make the roster mainly because of his contract (would be a $0.5M cap hit to cut him) and I think the Redskins want to showcase him so that they can either trade him mid-season or get something for him in 2015 in terms of a compensatory pick.

I wouldn't put any money on any of the others other than Reed. Paul has shown to have iffy hands and his special teams contributions were not all that special (are we forgetting the fumble on the kickoff that luckily went out of bounds?). Paulsen is entirely replaceable and Peterson for all of the good words from the coaching staff was a guy stashed on the practice squad all year.
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm talking more about Paul's ability to get downfield and light someone up on coverage, not his return ability. He wasn't even a great return man in college, but he can get around blocks, run fast and hit people on kickoff and punt coverage.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MKnight82

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
I'm talking more about Paul's ability to get downfield and light someone up on coverage, not his return ability. He wasn't even a great return man in college, but he can get around blocks, run fast and hit people on kickoff and punt coverage.
Paul had a whopping 6 tackles, 3 assists on special teams last year. He had 2 tackles, 2 assists the year before that. Oh dear, how will we ever replace that production?

Turtle, you keep saying Paul's strength is that he's versatile, that he's able to play multiple positions. I argue that he's mediocre at all those positions. He was so poor at WR that they moved him to TE. At TE last year, he didn't step up and take over the starting position once Davis went down. When he was on the field he caught 8 passes for 152 and 1 TD. He was targeted 15 times for a completion % of of 53.33%. In addition, I completely disagree that he's the 2nd best blocking TE on the roster, Fred Davis is a better blocker than Paul (Davis has worked on this and looked a lot better before going down last year) and Paulsen is obviously better. He has lousy hands, he's too small to play TE, and too slow to play WR. His ability as a return man is nothing special (which you've even admitted), and his production on special teams coverage can be easily replaced. You say he's versatile, I say he's a player without a position in the NFL, and not a NFL calibur talent.

Thanks to mike23md for the sig

Adopt - a - Redskin
Bashaud Breeland - 34 tackles, 7 PD, 2 FF, 2 TFL, 1 INT
Jordan Reed - 24 catches, 229 rec yards
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I am with MKnight82 on this one. While it is unfortunate that he doesn't seem to be panning out, let's not invest too much in him simply because we drafted him. In fact, wouldn't the fact we drafted Reed point somewhat at the coaching staff's unhappiness with Paul? Yes Reed is here mostly to replace Davis's (*) production as a receiver but that is also an indictment of Paul's inability to be that guy.

Like Doughty, Paul was given a chance to take over when the starting player ahead of him went down. Unlike Doughty, Paul didn't take advantage of it to gain the confidence of his coaches.

(*) I hate the rules of apostrophes, especially with words ending with S. No one agrees but they all are vehement that the other guys are absolutely wrong and using that style is an anathema and affront to all that is Good and Right in the world.
DCRED

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
I think I am with MKnight82 on this one. While it is unfortunate that he doesn't seem to be panning out, let's not invest too much in him simply because we drafted him. In fact, wouldn't the fact we drafted Reed point somewhat at the coaching staff's unhappiness with Paul? Yes Reed is here mostly to replace Davis's (*) production as a receiver but that is also an indictment of Paul's inability to be that guy.

Like Doughty, Paul was given a chance to take over when the starting player ahead of him went down. Unlike Doughty, Paul didn't take advantage of it to gain the confidence of his coaches.

(*) I hate the rules of apostrophes, especially with words ending with S. No one agrees but they all are vehement that the other guys are absolutely wrong and using that style is an anathema and affront to all that is Good and Right in the world.

Well, even though I was a Paul proponent in the beginning of their TE experiment, after seeing nothing last year I am off the train. It all comes down to production.

I have to agree with you guys that Paul is a wasted roster space at this point. Fortunately, we understand that due to the complete turnover of the team and our salary cap penalty, we had room for some of these type guys and this experiment.

Oh, and Woz, I enjoy seeing an apostrophe dangling on the end of an S like Davis' Laughing putting an s's is like a double comma to me
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul was a rookie TE who had never played the position before last year. You have to give the guy more than one chance to prove he can be a productive member of the passing game.

I still think people are selling him short on special teams also.

We'll see what happens.

turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://httr24-7.com/film-room/film-sessions-santana-moss-2012-all-regular-season-targets-and-catches/

Great Santana Moss breakdown here:

62 Targets
41 Receptions
6 Drops
8 Touchdown
573 Yards

Quote:
1.) I wish they’d get Santana Moss the ball more, since he seems hungrier and more energetic then he’s been in years.

2.) Can you imagine how great Santana Moss could’ve been if Robert Griffin III had been his quarterback for his entire career.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: