Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

OTA Blurb on Evan Rodriguez

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G08

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: OTA Blurb on Evan Rodriguez Reply with quote

Quote:
Evan Rodriguez is Mr. Everything on offense. He lines up all over the field from play to play. He’s out wide one snap, tucked in a bunch formation the next, in the backfield the next and at the wing the next. He’s often moved in motion and is used both as a blocker and pass catcher.

He has a couple of challengers at his spot. Third-year tight end Kyle Adams took a few snaps in the wing and Harvey Unga (yes, Unga is still with the team) lined up at fullback for a handful of reps. Yet neither player has as much versatility and natural athleticism as Rodriguez, who will likely be a big part of the offense this year.

Wouldn't he be a fun surprise this season?

WindyCity wrote:
McClellin is simply not very good. He is not big enough or strong enough to play at the NFL level. The Bears should move on.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: OTA Blurb on Evan Rodriguez Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
Quote:
Evan Rodriguez is Mr. Everything on offense. He lines up all over the field from play to play. He’s out wide one snap, tucked in a bunch formation the next, in the backfield the next and at the wing the next. He’s often moved in motion and is used both as a blocker and pass catcher.

He has a couple of challengers at his spot. Third-year tight end Kyle Adams took a few snaps in the wing and Harvey Unga (yes, Unga is still with the team) lined up at fullback for a handful of reps. Yet neither player has as much versatility and natural athleticism as Rodriguez, who will likely be a big part of the offense this year.

It would seem the role he's best suited to play now is the one Emery drafted him last year to fill.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
DaMike

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he can be a solid player. I was happy when we drafted him. Real versatile player.
Roadrunner

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember watching some of his games and he was a very willing blocker downfield, as well. YAC is going to be a bigger part of this offense than it has in the past, at least if it is going to be successful. It would be nice to see him put some of those blocking skills to work this year, rather than being forced to stay in the backfield to be a third offensive tackle.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: OTA Blurb on Evan Rodriguez Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
G08 wrote:
Quote:

It would seem the role he's best suited to play now is the one Emery drafted him last year to fill.

I think everyone knew Emery envisioned Rodriguez playing the Aaron Hernandez role for us last year but Tice didn’t have the ability to adapt his/Martz’s playbook to account for the matchup issues Rodriguez could provide…as you said Trestman will be the first coach we have had who will be able to make the most of his skill set.
TankWilliams

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey Unga is still on the roster? I could have sworn I heard that the Bears cut him.
Roadrunner

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TankWilliams wrote:
Harvey Unga is still on the roster? I could have sworn I heard that the Bears cut him.

He's been cut and brought back...more than once, I believe.
G08

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadrunner wrote:
TankWilliams wrote:

He just won't go away.

WindyCity wrote:
McClellin is simply not very good. He is not big enough or strong enough to play at the NFL level. The Bears should move on.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
Roadrunner wrote:
TankWilliams wrote:

He just won't go away.

Apparently the new staff sees at least some potential in him. He did catch 102 passes at BYU and we know Trestman wants his RBs to be dual threats. Who knows - maybe he's a 4th RB / ST guy under the new regime. All we have behind Forte and Bush is Armando Allen who appears to me to be just a warm body so at minimum there's an opportunity to compete for a spot.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
G08

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
G08 wrote:
Roadrunner wrote:
TankWilliams wrote:

He just won't go away.

Apparently the new staff sees at least some potential in him. He did catch 102 passes at BYU and we know Trestman wants his RBs to be dual threats. Who knows - maybe he's a 4th RB / ST guy under the new regime. All we have behind Forte and Bush is Armando Allen who appears to me to be just a warm body so at minimum there's an opportunity to compete for a spot.

I think Michael Ford might give him (Allen) a run for his money.

WindyCity wrote:
Epyon

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
G08 wrote:
Roadrunner wrote:
TankWilliams wrote:

He just won't go away.

I think Michael Ford might give him (Allen) a run for his money.

Ford will likely put Armando Allen in the same situation he was in last year versus Lorenzo Booker....

He (Allen) will be less effective in the running game than Ford(Booker last year)....

but arguably make up for it with better hands/ better matching Forte's skillset.

Now of note: Was that Allen didn't actually WIN his battle with Booker last year, and Ford is a superior running back than Booker was (Allen only got moved up after Booker got injured). That said, Allen did reasonably well last season, on the snaps he did play rushing, and his catching ability makes him far more versatile backup/ "poor man's Forte"... It'll be interesting to see how much Allen has improved this offseason/ how much value they place on Allen's versatility this season, as he likely is fighting for a spot again.
Roadrunner

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you are getting at, but Allen is 4" shorter and 28 lbs lighter than Forte. He has two career receptions. One for 15 yards and one for about a yard. He has rushed for a career total of 172 yards. I realize he has not played much, but IMO Allen and Forte don't belong in the same sentence, (see what I did there?) let alone in the same paragraph.

As you alluded to, I think last year if Booker was healthy Allen would have been looking for a day job. I would be pretty surprised if he sticks around. I could be wrong, though.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TankWilliams wrote:

I wonder how many past "predict the roster" threads have him as the RB2 or RB3...
G08

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadrunner wrote:
I understand what you are getting at, but Allen is 4" shorter and 28 lbs lighter than Forte. He has two career receptions. One for 15 yards and one for about a yard. He has rushed for a career total of 172 yards. I realize he has not played much, but IMO Allen and Forte don't belong in the same sentence, (see what I did there?) let alone in the same paragraph.

As you alluded to, I think last year if Booker was healthy Allen would have been looking for a day job. I would be pretty surprised if he sticks around. I could be wrong, though.

I thought Lorenzo out-performed him last pre-season until he got dinged (concussion?).

The thing with Ford is that he has low mileage from college and was specifically target for ST by DeCamillis. Might give him a leg up, but who really knows?

WindyCity wrote:
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: OTA Blurb on Evan Rodriguez Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
Quote:

This is not a surprise. Rook receivers don't show much so I was pleased he got as much time on the field last year and contributed. We always knew they wanted to use him because of his versatility now they will.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: